Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is it just me?

Kiesu
07.20.2018 , 02:44 PM | #21
I dont think they did a bad job with the rep stories, but rather getting to play a bad guy is a lot less used idea and has more first-time appeal because of it. Also playing light bad guy makes you feel morally superior.

The Jedi mythology and mindset are a niche thing, they're not actually action-heroes like movies make them out to be... This is especially nicely described in Consular story which is very largely a diplomatic story rather than a heroic or actionful story, diplomacy is not mainstream topic and a lot of videogame players just want their action hero experience, which Consular is not going to deliver, and neither is smuggler.
Knight get a lot more action and "movie jedi things".

Smugglers are basically just spacers, making a living in the galaxy. They're not decorated officers, they're not superhumans with magic powers, they're not aggressive glory seekers... They're basically civilians, doing civilian things. Again, not an action packed story. Smugg is basically a series of events a random spacer bumped into, and that's really all there is! If you're looking to be a hero you're not gonna find that from smugs. If you just wan't a story about random civvie who got in some crazy ride by a mere chance, smug is for you.

Troopers I guess are forever "on the payroll" types. Like most soldiers in a war would't find mad crazy adventures outside of their unit, Trooper doesn't either. They work for the Reps and do what they tell him. Not too many people are into getting told what to do in their fictional world, so it's again a niche story.
Refer! - Alignment funzies - Arts -
What made Origin stories superior to KotFE/ET? All 8 story characters could co-exist.
Level and world designer, comic artist, general RP nerd and occasional snark novelist.
Legions of Lettow → Tomb of Freedon Nadd → Red Eclipse → Darth Malgus.

Pathera
07.20.2018 , 05:14 PM | #22
Many people seem to think that Jedi are always good and Sith are always bad. I think it is more complicated than that. In this game if someone is born in the Republic and are force sensitive, your only option is the Jedi Academy. If someone is Imperial and force sensitive, then they are required to go to the Sith Academy. This is true regardless of natural inclination and any environmental factors that individual may deal with. As a result, people at both academies are potentially going to fall along a continuum.

That said, the Sith code does encourage selfishness and a lack of restraint. As a result, most Sith will be selfish, self-involved and, in some cases, outright evil. But it is important to allow for the exception. I like playing the exception.

The Jedi code encourages service to others and restraint, but it is not perfect. Many Jedi are going to self-righteous and inflexible, but not all of them. My biggest objection to the way they handle Jedi in the game is that almost all of them seem that way (at least to me). I would love to play a Jedi that was a good person without coming across as self-righteous and irritating.

aerockyul
07.20.2018 , 06:18 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Xina_LA View Post
The Agent story seems to have the most variety. It is the only class I have fully enjoyed playing multiple times.
I really loved playing a dark Jedi. She wasn't evil, just very pragmatic and a "realist".

But... yes, thinking about it, I enjoyed the Imperial class stories better.

The voice acting on the Consular just seems flat to me. She doesn't sound like she cares about anything.
The Smuggler has great voice acting and the story is good, but it didn't seem as detailed or involved as other stories. The pacing was a bit slow.
The Trooper's story was predictable. Classic but not gripping.

One thing that might help -- I play with my husband and I've noticed that the dialog can be quite different, depending on your character's gender. If you're not enjoying a class story, switch genders and see if you like it better.
I find fem-consular has more life in her voice when she's played dark or grey. I loved her fake imperial accent on nar shaddaa. She's really only monotone when you play her too straight laced
Keeya, Lill'ya, Vixeeya, Cara, Vaisis, SelaunaKahntara, Reeyen, Kaytee'roxx
Jaista, Zohdi, Katie Bee, Altheeka Eko'va, Misphire
Portrait Gallery ReferralsProud Ashara...ite? Asharan? Team Ashara!

devilkat
07.21.2018 , 11:30 AM | #24
You're not alone. My favorite story by far is the Sith Warrior. The story for the Inquisitor is good, too, but I prefer to make my Sith LS and the inquisitor seems more like the one to make a psychotic DS character. Even some of the supposed LS convo options seem a little crazy. The Bounty Hunter is a fun one, but taking one through the end game stuff doesn't make much sense, simply based on their profession. I honestly didn't care for the Agent (I think I'm in the minority on that one). On the pub side, the only story I actually like is the Soldier, but that's mostly because the companions are good and it's fun to play a bit of a renegade. The Smuggler is ok, too, but not my favorite. I find the Consular boring, the Knight sanctimonious, even DS options aren't as good as they should be.
"My last partner didn't complain nearly this much"
"Your last partner got CRUSHED to death"
"AND NEVER ONCE COMPLAINED ABOUT IT"

Haruen
07.22.2018 , 04:42 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Pathera View Post
I started playing SWTOR a few months ago so I am catching up on all the class stories and so forth. So far, I like playing light side Imperials with the Imperial Agent story as my favorite followed by the Sith Inquisitor story. Is it just me or did they do a far better job with the Imperial class stories than the Republic stories?
I found the Imperial stories SI and SW far more engaging than the Republic counterparts. Ended up being Light side both times, as that's just what seemed like natural choices. Have played all eight, but recently replayed all of SI and really enjoyed it.