Is Battlemaster good enough to do HM Flashpoints?

I am a tank and I PvP. I eventually got Battlemaster but then I wanted to do a flashpoint.

So i join a flashpoint,(don'ty remember which one, it was the one were the guy gets attacked by the plagued rakghoul.) and one DPS is like, "oh boy, hes got battlemaster" It was going fine, I was tanking fine, and we were going through pretty fast and smoothly, then I make 1 mistake.

The dude is ALL over me, he going crazy saying like WHAT THE HECK DUDE! YOUR SO STUPID! YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING FLASHPOINT!

He then tries to vote kick me and all, thankfully he ended up being kicked after he exploded into a rage fit.

Then we finished the flashpoint and it was all good...

Am I really not supposed to do HMs with BM and I shouldn't have tried in the first place, or was he overreacting?

Thoughts?

I am a tank and I PvP. I eventually got Battlemaster but then I wanted to do a flashpoint.

So i join a flashpoint,(don'ty remember which one, it was the one were the guy gets attacked by the plagued rakghoul.) and one DPS is like, "oh boy, hes got battlemaster" It was going fine, I was tanking fine, and we were going through pretty fast and smoothly, then I make 1 mistake.

The dude is ALL over me, he going crazy saying like WHAT THE HECK DUDE! YOUR SO STUPID! YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING FLASHPOINT!

He then tries to vote kick me and all, thankfully he ended up being kicked after he exploded into a rage fit.

Then we finished the flashpoint and it was all good...

Am I really not supposed to do HMs with BM and I shouldn't have tried in the first place, or was he overreacting?

Thoughts?

Full BM is good enough for most HM flashpoints. Maybe not the rakghoul ones (it's been a while).

if you know your class it's certainly doable, I used to do it on my guardian tank as well. So don't worry about it.

However I do recommend to get a second gear set for pve only.

Thank god that dps got kicked, most of the times it's people like that, that ruin the experience for everyone.

Afterall we're playing the game to have fun and learn the mechanics

People be trippin'

Battlemaster is 100% fine for flashpoints.

Here are the stats for a Tionese-geared Vanguard tank (all the T1 flashpoints are doable in Tionese)

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/683edb44-eb39-4580-b355-6dd1024354d2

18.3k health

6892 armor

15% defense

30% shield

35% absorb

And here is a Battlemaster-geared Vanguard tank:

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/13743efb-2e30-416d-a440-ab65e2a7525c

20k health

7647 armor

19% defense

33% shield

33% absorb

As you can see, it is much better than Tionese.

And here is a Columi-geared Vanguard tank:

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/b987e86b-6d7d-4158-90fc-3ba22876f9d0

20.7k health

7429 armor

16% defense

31% shield

36% absorb

Now, the Columi gear is straight stock, completely unoptimized. But it is arguably on par with the Battlemaster gear.

You're fine. The tool that was raging at you is clueless and deserves to be on a server-wide ignore list.

Alright, thanks guys! good to know I'm not the one ruining other people's experiences.

You're not the one ruining it. The developer on the other hand is by making PVP gear on par with PVE gear, or better than PVE gear.

PVP gear shouldn't be a valid option for fast entry into the hardmodes. Getting into hardmode should require some PVE dedication.

PVP gear should have primary stats lowered to the point where it's worthless in hardmodes, just keep the PVP stats as they are,, that way people will have to acquire proper PVE gear before doing hardmodes, like normal people do.

As i said though, that's not your fault, it's the developer's fault for not thinking ahead, nor clearly enough when making the stats on the PVP gear.

Edited by Edaros

You're not the one ruining it. The developer on the other hand is by making PVP gear on par with PVE gear, or better than PVE gear.

PVP gear shouldn't be a valid option for fast entry into the hardmodes. Getting into hardmode should require some PVE dedication.

PVP gear should have primary stats lowered to the point where it's worthless in hardmodes, just keep the PVP stats as they are,, that way people will have to acquire proper PVE gear before doing hardmodes, like normal people do.

As i said though, that's not your fault, it's the developer's fault for not thinking ahead, nor clearly enough when making the stats on the PVP gear.

I disagree with you sir, as long as this game has been out there have been tanks running HM's in PVP gear. At release PVP gear was the only gear your could readily get. And to the OP I had often tanked in battlemaster, since it was the first set of lvl 50 gear I got. I raised the HP and absorb with augments to make it better than columi an all aspects. Sure I stopped wearing it when I got black hole or campain, but all the HM Fp are easily doable with battlemaster gear.

To the point of the dev's should have made pvp gear useless in pve, they did good at leaving it balanced. You trade primary stat and endurance for expertise. Why nerf the gear so bad that all people have a low survivability in open world pvp? I know mass armies of the opposite factions don't duel on voss or corellia. But why leave the player defensless when they are about to get cheaply ganked? So since the Dev's made pve gear viable to run dailies with do you really think that is gamebreaking? No.

Not all players can join a guilds raiding team and be carried through SM Astation or HM KP . To have the required gear to make HM FP's farmable. So let the PVP stats be left alone. If the Dev's didn't want you to use PVP gear in PVE they would have handed out a free set of Columi gear to players versus Tionese. Because the free set of PVP gear is sure alot better than the Tionese gear.

I will put a disclaimer, it is probly not a good idea to do HM Denova in pvp gear. It is ironic that with a small amount of work you can have a WH main hand or a elite WH main hand, and lots of people use that and a PVP relic in PVE. Because you can resonable obtain those and it might never happen where you get a Dreadguard main hand.

Eh? What is the reasoning behind this?

You're saying that all PvP gear should be tuned to completely worthless in PvE? Are you also recommending getting rid of PvP gear progression?

Please explain why this would make the game better.

I think the issue people have with BM (now WH) being so useful in PvE is that it basically

puts PvP on the ladder for end-game raiding - and looking at the stats above, it should be obvious why. As a fresh 50, before 1.6 what would you rather have, someone in recruit/BM or someone in 50 greens with some 45-50 stuff?

At least the recruit gear has been free for a while, so you didn't HAVE to PvP to get free basic 50 gear.

With 1.6, the choice is possibly even worse....Tionese or WH. Is there even a choice?

Really, I think the issue is that basically, when you ding 50, all the gear you have accumulated for 49 levels becomes, except possibly for cosmetic choices (and your level 49 augments), completely and utterly worthless.

The gear disparity between Tionese and WH is indeed ridiculous, but Tionese is handed out as soon as you become 50 while obtaining WH will still require you to go through WZ's to a decent degree -- so at least there is some effort involved, albeit far less than it used to be in 1.6. But ofc the difference between the Tionese and WH is like comparing Tionese with Rakata, with the latter if optimized you can do a content as hard as EC HM.

Please.

The freebie Tionese given out to every single L50 is more than enough to do all the HM FPs other than HM Lost Island. If you're skilled, leveling blues are sufficient for most roles (It's not easy, but it can be done). So why shouldn't a "not lowest tier available" PVP gear work?

And PVP gear at a similar tier is already worse than PVE gear for raiding. BM gear is comparable to Rakata in it's tier.

Edited by Infalliable

Really, I think the issue is that basically, when you ding 50, all the gear you have accumulated for 49 levels becomes, except possibly for cosmetic choices (and your level 49 augments), completely and utterly worthless.

I believe this is the nature of the beast.

Once you reach level 50, you can either level an alt or run flashpoints and operations.

Bioware has to get you to keep playing to make money. One common method is the gear grind.

Edited by Khevar

You're saying that all PvP gear should be tuned to completely worthless in PvE?

Why shouldn't it be? I cant take my black hole gear into a warzone without being uncompetitive so why should PvPers be allowed to take their BM/WH/EWH into a flashpoint or operation and do fine with it? Now they've made WH the same costs as BM was it's even worse. PvPers can now basically skip the columi grind (including the PvE main hands which are hard to get) and maybe even rakata as well.

Not only that the PvP relics up until 1.5 were (and in most cases still are) best in slot yet you don't even need to click them... how on earth is that fair when the rest of us have to grind daily comms for gimped on use or proc relics?

It just seems bioware want to go out of their way to please the PvP crowd because they're the loudest screamers, and every time a class gets unnecessarily nerfed and becomes useless overall no doubt there was a huge thread of crybabies in the PvP section beforehand.

As someone who actually likes WoW ( be kind!) I'm sad to say that it seems he had the WoW attitude when it comes to PvP gear in PvE.

As other have said that gear is fine for normal Hard Modes, it might be more iffy if you tried HM Lost Island.

Sorry for the bad experience.

Why shouldn't it be? I cant take my black hole gear into a warzone without being uncompetitive so why should PvPers be allowed to take their BM/WH/EWH into a flashpoint or operation and do fine with it? Now they've made WH the same costs as BM was it's even worse. PvPers can now basically skip the columi grind (including the PvE main hands which are hard to get) and maybe even rakata as well.

Not only that the PvP relics up until 1.5 were (and in most cases still are) best in slot yet you don't even need to click them... how on earth is that fair when the rest of us have to grind daily comms for gimped on use or proc relics?

It just seems bioware want to go out of their way to please the PvP crowd because they're the loudest screamers, and every time a class gets unnecessarily nerfed and becomes useless overall no doubt there was a huge thread of crybabies in the PvP section beforehand.

LOL, Columi grind, you can get that way faster then you can get PvP gear.

I would tend to argue that the gear should be equally viable on both sides of the game.

Why shouldn't it be? I cant take my black hole gear into a warzone without being uncompetitive so why should PvPers be allowed to take their BM/WH/EWH into a flashpoint or operation and do fine with it?

A full set of Black Hole / Campaign gear is better than Recruit gear in PvP. So you can take your high-end PvE gear and be competitive. Not against a War Hero player, surely, but it will get you a leg up to grind out your War Hero stuff.

Just like the Battlemaster geared player is going to be in trouble in HM EC, but can make it through HM FPs no problem.

There's actually a parity there.

Edited by Khevar

PvP gear, while great for PvP should be more than usable in HM FPs and story mode OPs. It allows players access to most of the game without having to completely gear out in two sets of gear. It's better for the community and better for the game as a whole.

We had the same problems with people like you in WoW. You wanted PvP gear completely unusable in PvE. It's was absurd. The game is meant for everyone. Maybe the gear isn't optimal but nothing except hard mode ops and nightmare ops require optimal gear.

Edited by Arkerus

First HM I ever tanked in this game was D7. I did it in Centurion/Champion gear. We got through it all the way to the end before wiping. (This was back in January) I will admit most of the failures were my own if we wiped, but not because of the gear. I went in not fully knowing how to tank. (First MMO) I only used my single target taunt and aoe taunts and then whatever I could think of to add to the damage.

Since then, any toon I've leveled as a Tank I have been able to run the 1st tier of HM's in Battlemaster gear with a few WH pieces added in. 1st tier is by far the easiest. Once you get to 2nd Tier, Lost Island, or some of the rakghoul ones...I definitely recommend Columi AT LEAST but if you have the skill you can carry your team.

Whenever I get a person looking at/mentioning/talking about my gear I almost always end up quitting the group and putting the person on ignore. Some people don't think they can win without being over-geared. Either that or they want to speed through, either way these are the worst types and I ignore them gleefully.

LOL, Columi grind, you can get that way faster then you can get PvP gear.

I would tend to argue that the gear should be equally viable on both sides of the game.

PvP is based on a comms system where you can still lose all your matches and earn comms for gear. Since the latest patches it's all too easy to max out on medals plus the daily quests so you're pretty much guaranteed any piece of WH after a couple of hours of play which stomps all over columi and is on par with rakata.

Just getting columi is a chore compared to it despite flashpoints being repeatable you still have to roll on the gear which isn't guaranteed to drop for your class. Not only that the mainhand which is considerably weaker than the WH piece (that you can pick up after at least 15 warzone matches guaranteed) you either have a chance drop where you are competing with 8 other players in a roll on KP once a week or you have to get to the end of LI HM which not everyone can do and hope it drops for your class and win the roll on it.

Anyone who says WH is a lot harder to get than columi after patch 1.6 is an imbecile, they're basically giving PvPers the guaranteed gear on a plate which basically is capable of playing some of the tougher PvE content in the game up to EC HM.

Where's the logic in that? It's almost like BW want people to skip gearing up PvE gear the normal route and just grab a set of WH and jump in an HM operation.

Edited by FlyinSpaghetti

PvP is based on a comms system where you can still lose all your matches and earn comms for gear. Since the latest patches it's all too easy to max out on medals plus the daily quests so you're pretty much guaranteed any piece of WH after a couple of hours of play which stomps all over columi and is on par with rakata.

Just getting columi is a chore compared to it despite flashpoints being repeatable you still have to roll on the gear which isn't guaranteed to drop for your class. Not only that the mainhand which is considerably weaker than the WH piece (that you can pick up after at least 15 warzone matches guaranteed) you either have a chance drop where you are competing with 8 other players in a roll on KP once a week or you have to get to the end of LI HM which not everyone can do and hope it drops for your class and win the roll on it.

Anyone who says WH is a lot harder to get than columi after patch 1.6 is an imbecile, they're basically giving PvPers the guaranteed gear on a plate which basically is capable of playing some of the tougher PvE content in the game up to EC HM.

Where's the logic in that? It's almost like BW want people to skip gearing up PvE gear the normal route and just grab a set of WH and jump in an HM operation.

I can tell this is very important to you, but I'm havering a hard time following.

Sure, on my first level 50, when I basically sucked as a player, Columi took a long time to get.

BUT, every subsequent one was a breeze. My personal experience was it was pretty fast. So many over geared players queuing for group finder letting me need on drops, so many gear drops, it just went fast fast fast. When my gunslinger dinged 50, I was in 7 pieces of Rakata by the end of a single weekend. Heck, Dread Guard gear can be crafted, so with deep pockets you could buy BiS, and Black Hole comms are given out like candy at birthday party.

Now, I usually run into players in PvE gear when I pug. Occasionally I see a PvP geared player in a pug. Occasionally. It's not like an epidemic or anything.

And the PvP geared players I've personally run into (for the most part) have done fine.

Just so you know, I'm not trying to argue for or against anything. I'm genuinely confused by your vehemence on this subject as it doesn't seem like a problem to me.

I can tell this is very important to you, but I'm havering a hard time following.

Sure, on my first level 50, when I basically sucked as a player, Columi took a long time to get.

BUT, every subsequent one was a breeze. My personal experience was it was pretty fast. So many over geared players queuing for group finder letting me need on drops, so many gear drops, it just went fast fast fast. When my gunslinger dinged 50, I was in 7 pieces of Rakata by the end of a single weekend. Heck, Dread Guard gear can be crafted, so with deep pockets you could buy BiS, and Black Hole comms are given out like candy at birthday party.

Now, I usually run into players in PvE gear when I pug. Occasionally I see a PvP geared player in a pug. Occasionally. It's not like an epidemic or anything.

And the PvP geared players I've personally run into (for the most part) have done fine.

Just so you know, I'm not trying to argue for or against anything. I'm genuinely confused by your vehemence on this subject as it doesn't seem like a problem to me.

You're trying to make out that I said columi was too hard to get rather than what I actually said that PvP gear is too easy. The subject of my post was not an argument on the chance of acquiring PvE gear but on how easy it is to acquire better gear from PvP with less effort.

While your argument says you've acquired all your rakata pieces in a weekend might be good for you, it doesn't always work out like that, at the end of the day you are not guaranteed to have a piece by the end of an op where as with war hero providing you've earned the comms (even if you've lost the matches and played poorly)

you'll earn the piece guaranteed.

My argument wasn't even about the gear drop system vs comms either, I'm not saying they should change anything of that nature, however the fact is PvP gear is far too viable for endgame PvE. It's not fair to people who just want to play PvE that someone else can skip half the PvE gearing route because they've bashed some other players in a warzone while the rest of us have to earn our drops to get up to that gear level.

In an ideal world all PvP gear shouldn't have more non-pvp stats than tionese, instead these stats should of been traded off for more PvP stats like more expertise, something that'll make players actually change their gear when they've come out of a warzone and gone into an op.