Episodic Content - Episodic Operations

azudelphi

So with KotFE reaching its conclusion and Season 2 around the corner, the paradigm of episodic content model is essentially here to stay. I am proposing the following to regain at least some amount of traction with the "raiding" community:

Moving forward, instead of doing operations as a 5-6 boss singular release, release a single instanced raid boss with each Chapter.

Perceived advantages:

- If chapters maintain release schedule, 12 new operations-tier bosses released in a year would be the equivalent to 2 ops; by current release rates, this would go a long way towards pleasing the end game community

- Balancing single raid bosses at a time as opposed to all fights at once is likely easier for the combat team

- Opening just the new boss on the PTS would mean only that boss's metrics are being gathered for tuning

- Addition of minor cutscenes / conversations can allow the story to remain as a core component for each op boss

- Separating the bosses to be singular allows each boss to follow different narratives as part of episodic release;

For example, could have one that follows a "fight against the eternal empire" arc one month and a fight that was a follow up to "The Ravagers" the next.

- Can include solo-mode versions that allow a player to access the phase and see the story / solo-tuned fight

Disclaimer: The above is based in my opinion. Some amount of thought has gone into the technical aspect, but I am no means an expert. Feedback is welcome and healthy to maturing the concept.

Edited by azudelphi

I think this is a cool idea. One boss adventures like Golden Fury, Eyeless, and Xenoanalyst are fun to do and require less of a huge time investment then a multi-boss raid for guilds who want to test the waters of raiding. I'd like to see more traditional operations come out as well, but a few more single boss ops that are available more regularly than the event ops bosses would be nice to have.

I think this is a cool idea. One boss adventures like Golden Fury, Eyeless, and Xenoanalyst are fun to do and require less of a huge time investment then a multi-boss raid for guilds who want to test the waters of raiding. I'd like to see more traditional operations come out as well, but a few more single boss ops that are available more regularly than the event ops bosses would be nice to have.

I too would like traditional operations, but my suspicion is that ship may have sailed at this point (barring any major announcements in the next month or so). As such the suggestion is an in-between idea to at least provide some end game content for the "raiding" and operation inclined players.

And the one-off adventures such as the 3 you described were the basis for the idea. Only thing I would like to see added to those three as part of the "Episodic Operations" would be a bit of story / connected narrative.

Excellent point on the nature of them requiring less time investment for the players as well; would potentially make operation style encounters more appealing to casual players.