Sentinel vs Guardian

Ardynan

Hey fellow Star Wars fans

I am about to start a Republic character.

So i am considering to try out the Jedi Knight, Sentinel or Guardian.

I am not overly interested in Tanking (i think), i will only do pvp for dailies or weeklies, so i will mainly focus on PVE.

I dont have much experience in Swtor so thats why i want to ask, what is the major difference in these 2 disciplines (other than 1 dual wield and the other has 1 saber)

I hope you will give me some good answers and be nice :D

<3

I mean, dual wield is the main difference.

Guardian focus and sentinel concentration play practically the same, minus the class exclusive abilities like riposte. Id give concentration the edge here.

Vigi and annihilation are both dot specs, id say vigi is the "burstier" dot spec. I personally prefer vigi.

Combat sent, I dont play, maybe someone could give you a better rundown. Its not in the greatest of spots right now, so I really can't see recommending it.

Guardians have a self heal and off taunts, sents have the ability to camo and transcendence (and a raid buff).

As Kendra pointed out Concentration and Focus are very similar. In PvP Concentration (sents) get the clear edge, but in PvE it's not all that cut and dry. In endgame content Sentinels get a raid buff and a raid movement buff that really helps out and gives them an edge, though Guardian's taunt can be useful too. However Focus Guardians are smoother to play in easier content, that's because it revolves around Combat Focus (an ability with a cooldown) versus Concentration Sentinel's Berserk (which is based on Zen stacks). In flashpoints and the like the cooldown reset of Combat Focus gives Focus Guardians a definite edge here imo.

When it comes to Watchman and Vigiliance these are on most endgame operation fights the preffered specs of their respective classes. Watchman Sentinel does a little more single target damage and brings raid utility with its raidbuff and raid movement buff. Vigiliance Guardian is a bit burstier (though not as much as actual burst specs) but especially shines with amazing AoE damage. It also has the minor benefit of having a taunt, which can be useful on a select few HM and NiM fights, but is especially useful for being able to queue as tank for SM operations (as you really only need 1 tank for these).

Combat Sentinel is just more or less outclassed by the alternatives. Concentration and Watchman just make it more or less obsolete in every way. It is not as terrible as people make it out to be though, and it has the advantage of being pretty easy to play. Especially with the right tactical you have a very simple rotation.

I would advise you to choose based on feel/flavour though, as all the specs are viable for all content, except maybe ranked PvP. Do you want a warrior based on quick attacks and speed (Sentinel) or based on stronger strikes with a slower, heavier feel. For me that's the main difference that matters when choosing which to play.

Hey you two, thanks alot for that very thorough ( i hope its spelled like that) explanation.

i am still alittle in doubt in which of the two i would like to play, so i guess i will just go try both, i dont like being squishy.

and i want to be able to clear heroics, solo planets on my own without a major struggle,

i even considered making a Shadow, but i dont really enjoy the Consular story so much.

But thanks alot for your kindness.

- Ardy

Hey you two, thanks alot for that very thorough ( i hope its spelled like that) explanation.

i am still alittle in doubt in which of the two i would like to play, so i guess i will just go try both, i dont like being squishy.

and i want to be able to clear heroics, solo planets on my own without a major struggle,

i even considered making a Shadow, but i dont really enjoy the Consular story so much.

But thanks alot for your kindness.

- Ardy

Played with a reasonable understanding of defensives with a healer companion, you be able to solo heroics and planetary stories on either. It really comes down to what you like the look/feel of.

If you were thinking of an infiltration shadow, try a conc sent. It has a temporary stealth in force camo, so you can skip some mobs with well timed use. Guardian doesn't have that option, but has a few more immediate/reactive cool downs like a reflect and self heal.

Both are very fun classes to play, really can't go wrong either way