I really want to play Rage but...

Vengeance is just so much better at everything! To begin with, it scales so much better with the Descent of the Fearless because all the DoTs proc the 6 piece on cooldown and it only goes downhill from there. Vengeance has two amazing tacticals, Hemophilic Slash for ST and Cut to Pieces for AoE, whereas Rage has only one half way descent tactical that wasn’t even intended for the spec but players have made work. To speak nothing of how much easier and more streamlined the rotation is. In short, Vengeance outperforms Rage across the board.

I am struggling to see where the spec is meant to shine. For other DPS disciplines there is usually one DoT spec that’s typically better at AoE and one Burst spec that usually excels in ST. Sure, Rage has these nice big hits from auto crit Raging Burst (which is btw one of my absolute favorite abilities in the game but more on that below) and Furious Strike hits like a truck but most of Vengeance’s rotational abilities also have high upfront damage in addition to having those massive DoTs attached to them that virtually melt the target on the back end. And the difference in AoE is even more glaring. Not only does Vengeance get an improvement Smash, in Vengeful Slam, but it’s also free to cast, spreads your DoTs to other targets (which is HUGE) and on top of all that with the right tactical has essentially no cooldown. It’s insane!

Now I don’t just play a spec because of numbers, far from it in fact, but it still has to function to be appealing. This is an MMO after all I don’t want to feel like I am dragging everyone else in my group down because I play a severely weaker spec. And it’s no fun to drudge through soloing on a vastly underperforming spec either. That said I absolutely love the aesthetics of Rage. The Obliterate/Raging Burst combo is beautifully choreographed and truly feels like they are two abilities meant to be used in tandem (kinda of like Thundering Blast followed by an instant Chain Lightning on a Lightning Sorc) something this game has always done well and which I appreciate very much. Although the abilities flow together very well, thanks to the streamlined rotation, Vengeance doesn’t really have that feel I describe above (which is why I so desperately want to make Rage work). Additionally, Raging Burst is essentially the only rotational Force ability the Jugg has that isn’t some form of a lightsaber attack which is very refreshing and makes me feel like I am actually playing a Force user and not just an ordinary bloke who might as well be using a vibroblade. Vengeance sort of makes up for that by allowing for Ravage, one of the best choreographed abilities in the game, to be cast more frequently but again it’s not as visually or aesthetically appealing to me.

Lastly, I just have to point out how terrible it feels to have to constantly use Enrage as Rage, it’s literally a rotational ability, but it does absolutely nothing except to generate rage and feels like just another button you have to push except you aren’t even rewarded with a fancy visual afterwards. I highlight this because ability bloat is already a major issue in SWTOR and this seems like something that can definitely and easily be fixed by making it a passive effect, reducing some of the rage cost of abilities or adding some more rage generation to one of the other active rotational abilities.

Am I wrong in my assessment? Please sound off below and let me know if I missed the mark on anything. This is one situation where I really don’t want to be right. Also, any advice on how to make Rage better would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I am a veteran player who started at launch but left after the content drought, hated the Eternal Empire plot line, and only recently returned again because of how easy the new gearing process is (and due to a fair bit of nostalgia).

If you like rage, roll a fury mara unless you want the ability to respec tank.

I would mention though that BW themselves have stated that melee dot specs (i.e. vigi) should do more dps than burst specs (i.e. rage)

Edited by KendraP

I'd talk to your guildmates, assuming you have some already, I'd never consider going for end game stuff like ops without a guild/community I can relax around. They might just tell you to play the spec that you enjoy. This is the most important bit... everything after this is just me talking.

As for the spec itself. I fully get the appeal, rage/focus is a fun spec to play as it flows so well and has great visuals. Have you considered playing it less as a rotation and more as a priority/flex style? I've not seen a huge difference in damage output between a rotation sequence and a flex one. Flex might get a bit more bursty at times, but that also keeps it fresh instead of mindnumbing. Though I'm not someone that's concerned with getting my toons to the bleedingedge of performance. I'm only ever concerned with enjoying them.

Also as was pointed out, if you want a higher damage version of Rage go with the mara's fury spec. I don't myself because I don't like the way the Rage/Fury powers feel with a second saber. Personally I think a Rage style spec with a saberstaff and Shadow/Sin style saberstaff attacks could look awesome.

Seriously though talk to your guildmates and figureout if they are concerned about what spec you play and if it'll be a problem. If it is then you've got a new decision to make.

• 3 weeks later...

Rage now is in better spot than it used to be in 5.x times

Starting with area damage, Rage autocrit smash deals more damage than Vengeance slam on hit

Slam still spread DoTs and gives overall more damage, so Vengeance AoE is better, but Rage AoE is decent too

In single target sustain damage Rage performs (pretty much equal to Vengeance) really good and is better for target swapping (just take a look at parsing numbers)

Rage strenghts are very high mobillity and very high burst (its insane with Perservation tactical) making it more than viable in PvP (unranked, DPS jugg is too squishy for ranked sadly)

Rage, unlike Fury, can sunder enemy armor and has free Furious Strike/Obliterate after Force Crush.

Enrage abillity is more comfortable to use than Berserk on marauder since you cannot loose your Fury stacks on juggernaut (becuase you have abillity with cooldown instead)

if you feel like Rage is underperforming then you should look into flaws in jugg as a class, not in Rage as a spec

Rage now is in better spot than it used to be in 5.x times

Starting with area damage, Rage autocrit smash deals more damage than Vengeance slam on hit

Slam still spread DoTs and gives overall more damage, so Vengeance AoE is better, but Rage AoE is decent too

In single target sustain damage Rage performs (pretty much equal to Vengeance) really good and is better for target swapping (just take a look at parsing numbers)

Rage strenghts are very high mobillity and very high burst (its insane with Perservation tactical) making it more than viable in PvP (unranked, DPS jugg is too squishy for ranked sadly)

Rage, unlike Fury, can sunder enemy armor and has free Furious Strike/Obliterate after Force Crush.

Enrage abillity is more comfortable to use than Berserk on marauder since you cannot loose your Fury stacks on juggernaut (becuase you have abillity with cooldown instead)

if you feel like Rage is underperforming then you should look into flaws in jugg as a class, not in Rage as a spec

When someone says Fury is better than Rage, they generally mean in PvP. Especially ranked.

And Rage with some more defense and CC immunity or something would be quite devestating. In my experience - Rage is way better at killing healers and other harder targets in pvp, it simply lacks the CC immunity and defensive boosts to bring it to bear in most games.

Edited by Anishor

When someone says Fury is better than Rage, they generally mean in PvP. Especially ranked.

And Rage with some more defense and CC immunity or something would be quite devestating. In my experience - Rage is way better at killing healers and other harder targets in pvp, it simply lacks the CC immunity and defensive boosts to bring it to bear in most games.

Leap-->smash is a thing that is difficult in the extreme to balance for the pvpers. coordinated leapsmash by 2-3 juggs used to be a nearly guaranteed death sentence unless you predicted its timing and used DCDs