Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What is the main reason you like mercenary over powertech or vice versa?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
What is the main reason you like mercenary over powertech or vice versa?

Koynov
02.07.2012 , 04:41 AM | #11
I am playing pyro powertech and it's really a lot more fun for me then merc. because i am mobile, damage is almost equal, don't have any problem in 1v1 fight and i have range skills too

Atemus
02.07.2012 , 05:03 AM | #12
I played Powertech to lvl 20. Deleted it to start Mercenary because they seemed to do omgwtf damage and Powertech seemed weak. I got my Mercenary to lvl 28, while damage was good I got utterly bored with the missile spam. Now I started new Powetech and are very pleased with the Pyro tree understanding how the class and the tree works and what you are supposed to do to get big damage rolling.

IMO

All Mercenary can do is sit there and shoot missiles, hoping that they hit their target. Powertech has better utility kit and what I like them most, can adapt to situation having unique advantage of being able to have range advanatage over any class. Facing an assassin or Marauder? Kite them with your ranged nukes and dots and snare. Facing Mercenary or Sorcerer? Grapple them and go on their face with your interrupts.

Noollig
02.07.2012 , 10:57 AM | #13
I chose powertech because the merc armor makes you look like a bug. I realize you can switch out armor mods, but don't want to put that much effort into the armor look.

HanzoV
02.07.2012 , 11:03 AM | #14
Never played PT, so I can only say why I went with Merc. When I think of SW Bounty Hunters, I think of blasters and ranged combat. I also have a Sith Warrior Jugg, so that satisfies my Melee itch. So for me, Melee = Lightsaber, and I don't want to melee with my BH.
TORtanic indeed. It's just like that movie that was hugely successful and made boatloads of money.
This is an MMO. Whether you play with or see the other players is irrelevant to that fact.

Bigtarr
02.07.2012 , 03:11 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by HanzoV View Post
Never played PT, so I can only say why I went with Merc. When I think of SW Bounty Hunters, I think of blasters and ranged combat. I also have a Sith Warrior Jugg, so that satisfies my Melee itch. So for me, Melee = Lightsaber, and I don't want to melee with my BH.
Great point here! I love this post!

" I also have a Sith Warrior Jugg, so that satisfies my Melee itch. So for me, Melee = Lightsaber, and I don't want to melee with my BH"

I'm in the same boat!
I wanna use BB CODE, HTML CODE, OR IMAGE for my signature!

DarthPunitor
02.07.2012 , 04:40 PM | #16
i wanted more of a cad bane look than i did a core mandalorian look so i went with the merc. much more wild western imo. in pvp there isnt nearly as much missile spam but ideally the merc always looks to be in a position to stack tracer missiles.
"Honor is a lie, a chain that wraps itself around those foolish enough to accept it and drags them down to defeat."
-Gauntlet of Kresh (formerly)-
-The Tai Legacy- -Tai'for - Punitor - Lithany - Machiavelli - Davik -Her'acles-

Ruzena
02.07.2012 , 08:25 PM | #17
I like powertech pyro sound of railshot, but also i make merc because love the look of the effect of tracer missile. If they ever nerf tracer missile CD I will ragequit swtor. 1 more level to get it! F UCK YEAH.

rweiowjerwei
02.07.2012 , 09:52 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Atemus View Post
I played Powertech to lvl 20. Deleted it to start Mercenary because they seemed to do omgwtf damage and Powertech seemed weak. I got my Mercenary to lvl 28, while damage was good I got utterly bored with the missile spam. Now I started new Powetech and are very pleased with the Pyro tree understanding how the class and the tree works and what you are supposed to do to get big damage rolling.

IMO

All Mercenary can do is sit there and shoot missiles, hoping that they hit their target. Powertech has better utility kit and what I like them most, can adapt to situation having unique advantage of being able to have range advanatage over any class. Facing an assassin or Marauder? Kite them with your ranged nukes and dots and snare. Facing Mercenary or Sorcerer? Grapple them and go on their face with your interrupts.
Uhh...

I heard there was the ability to respec in MMO's as of late...Like, since years ago.

You seriously went through what is your 3rd character because you didnt like a certain spec o.O? You're nuts.

The_Beastwood
02.07.2012 , 10:04 PM | #19
Powertech because I actually like toons that require more than one button to play effectively. LOL TRACER SPAM.
And there are more Mercs than powertechs.

I also like the whole mobility thing and pretty much not taking much effect from interrupts.
It is satisfying bashing a merc to halt his tracer spam and realising they have to press another button.

Asavar
02.07.2012 , 10:09 PM | #20
Because you're actually playing a bounty hunter, not some melee "with a gun" bullcrap.

Sorry, BW, but 10 meters on nearly every ability for PT is not my idea of a "mid-ranged tank".

I've played a PT to 43, and just didn't like it. My (ex)main was a 50 commando, and am just half a level away from 50 on my Mercenary. Mercenary, by far, is my favorite.