Tomb of Sorrows Going for Server 1st NiM DF Brontes Kill

twotilmidnite

From watching your stream, I would say you guys are a good 3-4 weeks away from killing brontes

Apologies for the stream quality, guys. Still figuring out everything :p Thor, if you wouldn't mind commenting or PM'ing me with what you think needs improved, I'd appreciate it.

Was not happy with the team members we had tonight.

And damnit Xeno, if I would've known you were streaming this I wouldn't have called so much crap out. Now everyone gets to see me noob raid lead NiM -_-

Apologies for the stream quality, guys. Still figuring out everything :p Thor, if you wouldn't mind commenting or PM'ing me with what you think needs improved, I'd appreciate it.

I dont think there is any specific advice that I can give you. But Brontes is a very tough and frustrating fight, I know of a few guilds that blew up over this fight (hatred for example, there is a reason why Dulfy doesnt have guides up for all the fights in NiM palace). I would just make sure that your guildies are in this for the long haul, because it will take a lot of time to down this boss.

Ohhh Noooo! I was feeling like complete **** and was sucking terribly I demand a do over lol jk. But yeah last night didn't go to well at all. But it was our very first time ever touching her and we did have a new person completely new to Brontes who hasn't done but story mode so it could have gone worse. Still we have a lot of work to do.

What makes this fight potentially frustrating are the various mechanics that are RNG determined. Here are some observations that are hopefully useful.

First phase: Hands of Brontes

Spawn location of Hands after burrowing can be anywhere in the area and is RNG determined. It is much easier on tanks if DPS is even between the two Hands. If one Hand burrows before the other, then it is difficult for the tank to get that Hand while making sure the other Hand doesn't cleave the raid.

Orbs now spawn during this phase. Each DPS must know their class well enough to be able to continue dpsing while the orb is building stacks and then time it so that they can explode the orb at 15-20 stacks. Just kiting the orb until it builds 15+ stacks is a major dps loss. Understanding how your defensive cooldowns work and how to take advantage of them is crucial here.

A pair of fingers will also spawn at the beginning of the fight and again approximately every 40 seconds or so. DPS should be able to push to the next phase before a third pair spawns.

Interim phase: Pairs of lightning tentacles

Seven pairs of tentacles spawn successively during this phase. Each spawn applies a slow debuff to the entire raid. Tentacles will spawn close to members of the raid, but which members they spawn close to will be RNG determined.

Stacking up prior to this interim phase and moving together can be helpful in that it increases the likelihood that tentacle pairs will spawn close together. What usually kills people are pairs that spawn for apart, forming a lightning beam across the room.

If you have Marauders in your group, then Predation can be a big help here.

There will usually be an orb out when this phase starts. Be sure to decide whether a tank will get it, or if it is the responsibility of the person targeted by the orb.

Whoever is tanking Brontes during the next phase, should move to the center of the room after the 6th pair of tentacles spawn in order to position him/herself for the beginning of the next phase.

Second Phase: Brontes and Kephess adds

Brontes spawns and immediately channels Arcing Assault. The tank must grab aggro immediately and face Brontes away from the group, since is a conal. Brontes casts Arcing Assault about every 15 seconds.

Kephess adds spawns about 10 seconds in to the phase. Each additional Kephess spawns at roughly 35 second intervals.

Tanks have to figure out how to coordinate this part of the fight, i.e. who will tank Brontes and who will tank Kephess. Ideally, each tank should not take more than four stacks of Arcing Assault at a time.

Pushing Brontes below 50% health initiates the next phase. DPS should be able to push to the next phase before a fourth Kephess spawns. Tanks should be responsible for getting any orb that remains when you transition out of this phase.

Interim phase: Droids with rotating lightning beam

This is a straight DPS check. If necessary, healers and tanks should help kill the first droid with your hardest hitting attacks (e.g. Orbital Strike, Explosive Probe, Death from Above, Unload, Recklessness+Force Lightning, Ravage, etc)

The key here is to respond quickly to the direction of the lightning beam. Stack behind the boss and be ready to move in once you see where the beam is going.

There are two more phases, but I think I'm rambling too much. I highly recommend watching kill videos from all three perspectives (Tank, Heal, DPS) to learn more about the ins and outs of the fight.

What makes this fight potentially frustrating are the various mechanics that are RNG determined. Here are some observations that are hopefully useful.

First phase: Hands of Brontes

Spawn location of Hands after burrowing can be anywhere in the area and is RNG determined. It is much easier on tanks if DPS is even between the two Hands. If one Hand burrows before the other, then it is difficult for the tank to get that Hand while making sure the other Hand doesn't cleave the raid.

Orbs now spawn during this phase. Each DPS must know their class well enough to be able to continue dpsing while the orb is building stacks and then time it so that they can explode the orb at 15-20 stacks. Just kiting the orb until it builds 15+ stacks is a major dps loss. Understanding how your defensive cooldowns work and how to take advantage of them is crucial here.

A pair of fingers will also spawn at the beginning of the fight and again approximately every 40 seconds or so. DPS should be able to push to the next phase before a third pair spawns.

Interim phase: Pairs of lightning tentacles

Seven pairs of tentacles spawn successively during this phase. Each spawn applies a slow debuff to the entire raid. Tentacles will spawn close to members of the raid, but which members they spawn close to will be RNG determined.

Stacking up prior to this interim phase and moving together can be helpful in that it increases the likelihood that tentacle pairs will spawn close together. What usually kills people are pairs that spawn for apart, forming a lightning beam across the room.

If you have Marauders in your group, then Predation can be a big help here.

There will usually be an orb out when this phase starts. Be sure to decide whether a tank will get it, or if it is the responsibility of the person targeted by the orb.

Whoever is tanking Brontes during the next phase, should move to the center of the room after the 6th pair of tentacles spawn in order to position him/herself for the beginning of the next phase.

Second Phase: Brontes and Kephess adds

Brontes spawns and immediately channels Arcing Assault. The tank must grab aggro immediately and face Brontes away from the group, since is a conal. Brontes casts Arcing Assault about every 15 seconds.

Kephess adds spawns about 10 seconds in to the phase. Each additional Kephess spawns at roughly 35 second intervals.

Tanks have to figure out how to coordinate this part of the fight, i.e. who will tank Brontes and who will tank Kephess. Ideally, each tank should not take more than four stacks of Arcing Assault at a time.

Pushing Brontes below 50% health initiates the next phase. DPS should be able to push to the next phase before a fourth Kephess spawns. Tanks should be responsible for getting any orb that remains when you transition out of this phase.

Interim phase: Droids with rotating lightning beam

This is a straight DPS check. If necessary, healers and tanks should help kill the first droid with your hardest hitting attacks (e.g. Orbital Strike, Explosive Probe, Death from Above, Unload, Recklessness+Force Lightning, Ravage, etc)

The key here is to respond quickly to the direction of the lightning beam. Stack behind the boss and be ready to move in once you see where the beam is going.

There are two more phases, but I think I'm rambling too much. I highly recommend watching kill videos from all three perspectives (Tank, Heal, DPS) to learn more about the ins and outs of the fight.

While I appreciate the input on your knowledge over the phases, I would like to stress from our team that we actually understood this fight very well in how to do it (the only thing I disagree on is the number of stacks for orbs, as 15 causes an amount of damage that still can cause healers quite a bit of stress. 17 is the optimal number, as with any damage reduction CD active, the amount of damage is nearly completely absorbed if the orb explodes at 17 or higher.)

The problem in our group is execution, as we had a few members we determined afterwards in the fight were actually either weak or, in the case of our Sorc healer, would actually be completely unreliable at times (Night was apparently caught number padding by focusing on H2F from damage inflicted by Consumption when it wasn't necessary). We had previously stressed sticking to a set plan, that after seeing a few people fail to execute in the second phase, I focused more on just calling out "just don't die from the lightning blasts" and trying to advocate the adaptability of a good player now that the plan had fallen through.

Which, in rare cases, worked out to a degree. However, I'd only say that in terms of how we work together, the phase we will need to focus more on in execution of a plan is in the phase before the final with the six fingers and the two hands, as we've made enough strides in adaptability in order to be prepared for final burn phase, which her random agro table and forcing the tanks to direct slams to balls spawning make it nearly impossible to rely on a set plan over relying on people to keep up certain responsibilities, such as me using my taunts to keep agro on Brontes as much as I can.

The second problem we have is in DPS capability, because even though I am positive in running her smoothly enough to survive in the burn phase, we simply wouldn't have enough DPS to kill her before she wipes the raid based on the output displayed for the night. I even made the swap to Deception for the extra potential in burst for the clockwork phase, something where in terms of DPS capability, we should be more than adequate enough in with 2 MM snipers and a Carnage Marauder to make up for the small weakness in extreme burst damage from Madness.

So with that being said, the problem we have is not in knowing mechanics and running them. In fact, based on our adaptability and capability as players to bounce back from small mistakes, we are in a very good position to where the only phase we will need to actively practice in terms of execution is going to be the six fingers and two hands phase, which we only reached twice and failed miserably due to poor DPS and a healer that was number padding.

Should we get those two weak links taken care of and another night of practice for that particular phase, I am sure we are in a very good position to clear that boss.

Edited by ZooMzy

Agreed, Zu. I admit, I was having an off night, and Musette can attest to how hard I raged on my one death to the Volleyball net phase. Key is to get up, dust off and get it together. I'd like to recommend Muse to heal this Thursday for our other heal spot. If we can get our dps together and get through pinwheel cleanly, I see no reason why it shouldn't go down. We have brontes/kephess down to a science imo. Phase 1 needs a bit better communication for percents and know when to slow up if they get uneven

#Zu, you guys have one of the most ideal set ups for brontes. Concerning orbs, snipers can roll into them at any stack amount, you can shroud them, and your marauder can undying and force camo (at 7+ stacks). Concerning the laser clock phase, in all honesty 3 dps with help of healers can take out the first Droid without.

I would say your big problem is arrogance. With your response you will probably never receive help from Bart again. He took probably 30 miss to write that out for you and he is one of the more knowledgeable people in the game . I hate to tell you but your strategy for the final phase will not work and is not smart. Brontes will blow you up if you taunt her two times in a row. Snipers in mm in Huntertown take virtually no damage in that phase and will not get pushed back. To avoid having tanks get aggro on brontes they should be aggro dumping at the clock phase. Did you also know there is a way to make brontes regen less life? There are so many tricks in this fight to make it easier that are never published online and because you think you know it all, that will be your biggest downfall.

And my qualifications for this, I developed two successful strategies for two different groups and downed this boss prenerf

Edited by raidmac

#Zu, you guys have one of the most ideal set ups for brontes. Concerning orbs, snipers can roll into them at any stack amount, you can shroud them, and your marauder can undying and force camo (at 7+ stacks). Concerning the laser clock phase, in all honesty 3 dps with help of healers can take out the first Droid without.

I would say your big problem is arrogance. With your response you will probably never receive help from Bart again. He took probably 30 miss to write that out for you and he is one of the more knowledgeable people in the game . I hate to tell you but your strategy for the final phase will not work and is not smart. Brontes will blow you up if you taunt her two times in a row. Snipers in mm in Huntertown take virtually no damage in that phase and will not get pushed back. To avoid having tanks get aggro on brontes they should be aggro dumping at the clock phase. Did you also know there is a way to make brontes regen less life? There are so many tricks in this fight to make it easier that are never published online and because you think you know it all, that will be your biggest downfall.

And my qualifications for this, I developed two successful strategies for two different groups and downed this boss prenerf

For starters, arrogance? I merely stated that we had understood the mechanics of the fight respectfully if you read my post, it is not my fault if someone gets offended when they type out an entire post of information that we have already looked into and merely need to practice on adapting to the fight. Especially concerning the fact that only one phase truly needs a set plan to be executed for, and we couldn't even reach that phase because of current weak links.

Secondly, go watch the Seven Stuck video on YT with the Brontes NiM clear. Guess who was tanking Brontes for the final phase for the first portion?

A melee DPS PT Pyro, who had taunts casting on Brontes at the correct moments they could take them (which, if you look at the CD on taunts, you can't take her for back to back damage). Which, the instance was buffed, meaning as a class that has a 30% reduction baseline instead of 25% like myself and even less CDs that can negate all damage from Brontes, was capable of doing it. So, I'm arrogant for believing that I can take some of Brontes' damage in the first portion of the burn phase? Clearly not, as I have thought it through while you have presented an argument rooted in fallacy (back to back taunting is impossible for any DPS class besides PTs, and if that PT did back to back taunt Brontes, your argument is even further invalidated).

Lastly, please check yourself before you decide to criticize me for arrogance. You seem to have an opinionated post about someone you never have raided with on a real team, nor have you played with consistently other than a few random pulls with the HE on a team that can carry more than one person through (ironically enough, you should also consider yourself carried through that instance if you think beating an unoptimized, 72 mainhand and no set bonus geared Deception sin by 200 DPS on a decreasing damage reduction boss as a fully optimized, set bonus Sniper proves more capability as a raider)

And for some reason, you think that just because you have found people to raid with on Harbinger, no one else here can actively develop as players and have the confidence in themselves. So before you have the nerve to label arrogance on me, why don't you go ahead and take a look at the person who is claiming I have shown arrogance in a respectful decline of information we already have at our disposal and advice we don't need.

It's the same person who keeps coming back to these server forums, getting all combative just because some people know what it is they need to do to be successful. And actually know where their capabilities are, even if you don't agree with them and get ready to argue because your achievements on Harbinger don't mean anything in this argument.

EDIT: Since you're going to want specifics, yes we know the tricks. Trauma debuff during Supremacy, for example, is a mechanic I can easily have any of the other three DPSers we have run. But being a realistic person and realizing how much practice we need for the 6 finger phase, my goal was to focus more on getting to a part of the fight we could focus on down first before prepping for a phase we never even reached. Which, Trauma debuffing before she channels Supremacy is part of prepping for said phase

Ask Drunkensailor if you want, he literally explained these mechanics the night we downed NiM CZ in detail since you seem to think I'm arrogant for having to tell you we know the information you're trying to claim we need. We know the fight, we just need better execution and a little more practice with players who are not weak links.

Edited by ZooMzy

For starters, arrogance? I merely stated that we had understood the mechanics of the fight respectfully if you read my post, it is not my fault if someone gets offended when they type out an entire post of information that we have already looked into and merely need to practice on adapting to the fight. Especially concerning the fact that only one phase truly needs a set plan to be executed for, and we couldn't even reach that phase because of current weak links.

Secondly, go watch the Seven Stuck video on YT with the Brontes NiM clear. Guess who was tanking Brontes for the final phase for the first portion?

A melee DPS PT Pyro, who had taunts casting on Brontes at the correct moments they could take them (which, if you look at the CD on taunts, you can't take her for back to back damage). Which, the instance was buffed, meaning as a class that has a 30% reduction baseline instead of 25% like myself and even less CDs that can negate all damage from Brontes, was capable of doing it. So, I'm arrogant for believing that I can take some of Brontes' damage in the first portion of the burn phase? Clearly not, as I have thought it through while you have presented an argument rooted in fallacy (back to back taunting is impossible for any DPS class besides PTs, and if that PT did back to back taunt Brontes, your argument is even further invalidated).

Lastly, please check yourself before you decide to criticize me for arrogance. You seem to have an opinionated post about someone you never have raided with on a real team, nor have you played with consistently other than a few random pulls with the HE on a team that can carry more than one person through (ironically enough, you should also consider yourself carried through that instance if you think beating an unoptimized, 72 mainhand and no set bonus geared Deception sin by 200 DPS on a decreasing damage reduction boss as a fully optimized, set bonus Sniper proves more capability as a raider)

And for some reason, you think that just because you have found people to raid with on Harbinger, no one else here can actively develop as players and have the confidence in themselves. So before you have the nerve to label arrogance on me, why don't you go ahead and take a look at the person who is claiming I have shown arrogance in a respectful decline of information we already have at our disposal and advice we don't need.

It's the same person who keeps coming back to these server forums, getting all combative just because some people know what it is they need to do to be successful. And actually know where their capabilities are, even if you don't agree with them and get ready to argue because your achievements on Harbinger don't mean anything in this argument.

EDIT: Since you're going to want specifics, yes we know the tricks. Trauma debuff during Supremacy, for example, is a mechanic I can easily have any of the other three DPSers we have run. But being a realistic person and realizing how much practice we need for the 6 finger phase, my goal was to focus more on getting to a part of the fight we could focus on down first before prepping for a phase we never even reached. Which, Trauma debuffing before she channels Supremacy is part of prepping for said phase

Ask Drunkensailor if you want, he literally explained these mechanics the night we downed NiM CZ in detail since you seem to think I'm arrogant for having to tell you we know the information you're trying to claim we need. We know the fight, we just need better execution and a little more practice with players who are not weak links.

Maybe if you had actually killed the boss I would take your reply more seriously.

Also, I find that six fingers is probably one of the easiest parts of the fight. It is a bit of a breather before the final phase if it is executed correctly, which, according to Zuhara, is a major problem in the group.

Mevarek, conquerer of the dread fortress.

Wish I could get carried through ops.

And yeah, our biggest problem is going to be executing the set plan for the six finger phase as the weakness of my raid team has always been in regards to have a set plan and sticking to it, over fights where adaptability can make up for mechanics. So, I'd assume my team would need to spend at least an hour of practice in that area of the fight in particular as it is our weakness, and then the rest would be easier in comparison.

But again, I don't know why I bother with you. You're just some average DPS who server transferred and made some connections with other guilds, you don't know how to lead or develop raiders in the slightest.

Congrats on your title that means nothing here, btw.

And yeah, our biggest problem is going to be executing the set plan for the six finger phase as the weakness of my raid team has always been in regards to have a set plan and sticking to it, over fights where adaptability can make up for mechanics. So, I'd assume my team would need to spend at least an hour of practice in that area of the fight in particular as it is our weakness, and then the rest would be easier in comparison.

But again, I don't know why I bother with you. You're just some average DPS who server transferred and made some connections with other guilds, you don't know how to lead or develop raiders in the slightest.

LOL, you cant get carried through NiM Brontes pre nerf. gg

Just wanted to say, we already argued about this and you said that I didn't get carried and that I had connections. Even then, after I left pot5, I still had the exact same harbinger connections that you had, none. I went through the regular application/tryout process that any other dps who wanted to join Zorz would have gone through. Also, you're right, I don't know how to develop or lead raiders, which is why I don't do it.