Sniper Spec

--Ramzes--

I've seen a few threads on this but I'd like to ask people to react to my comments, so Devs - please don't delete this.

I've been experimenting with my Sniper trying to find the right spec for damage. Recently, I've invested a considerable amount of time into getting the correct Armorings/Mod/Enhancements on all of my items. Needless to say, I have them all at 146 and the Cunning/Power stats maxed.

So, the other day when I ran a raid with another sniper that was almost identical gear...he was out-pacing me by about 30-40% on the DPS parser.

Something is going on here and I haven't been able to figure it out yet. After reading the forums, it seems like it could be the skill tree. I'd always used Marksman but I'm hearing that for long boss fights, Lethality may be the way to go?

I'd really like to hear some feedback from other snipers. Thanks.

Lethality will often win out in boss fights, especially where mobility is a factor. However, I've seen MM put out more dps than a lethality sniper before. Rotation, relic usage, lag, various fight mechanics are all factors as well. There is certainly not a 30-40%% base difference in Lethality and MM dps. Edited by chuixupu

A large difference like that always comes down to playstyle.

Are you using the absolute best rotation?

Are you getting maximum usage from your cooldowns? i.e. the 2 min cd should be used about 4 times in a 6 min fight.

Are you casting as many abilities as you could? Even a small gap between button presses can add up.

Are you spending too much time running, and not enough time doing damage?

Are you dealing damage while running?

If you can, I would suggest talking to this other sniper, and maybe going to the target dummies on the Ziost Shadow, and trying to match him there, adjusting your rotation to match his.

Yes, thanks. I have been talking to him. The only thing we've been able to identify is that he has 200 more power than I do. I have 200 more Cunning than he does. Thoughts on that impact?

My casting order has worked well for me but I'm not bold enough to claim that it's the best. Is there a good guide out there that anybody's taken the time to explain their specific casting order through say the first 30-45 seconds of a long fight?

Yes, thanks. I have been talking to him. The only thing we've been able to identify is that he has 200 more power than I do. I have 200 more Cunning than he does. Thoughts on that impact?

Negligible. Imo, the worst thing you can do is focus on gear. Unless you are doing something drastically wrong, (like wearing Strength gear) improving how you play will always yield larger benefits.

You can try noxxic.com for rotations.

My casting order has worked well for me but I'm not bold enough to claim that it's the best. Is there a good guide out there that anybody's taken the time to explain their specific casting order through say the first 30-45 seconds of a long fight?

In most builds, the 1 cunning comes out slightly ahead of 1 power. It's so small though that it's not a factor.

Check this out for some decent information on the specs. I'm pretty sure that is the page on http://www.noxxic.com for the marksman spec, but I can't verify it at work (just about everything is blocked here). http://www.mmo-mechanics.com is also pretty good.

Marksman is the spec I have the least time with but the rotation comes down to mostly fast casting ambush after the proc and keeping followthrough on cooldown. Orbital strike is always going to be one of the best damage per cast time you have, as long as the target is stationary (which is most of the operations fights). So keep it on cooldown. Managing energy is also key as a rifle shot filler to let you regen energy from a low value can easily drop your DPS by a very noticeable amount.

Edited by Infalliable