Weekly server maintenance EU times?

Crenshaw

Im sorry, but this seems really strange to me...

In the thread made yesterday http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=691258#edit691258 bioware announced the weekly maintenance and that they would try their best to keep these weekly maintenance's on off peak-hours.

And that seems correct in the US, but in europe the time is 10AM to 4PM.... How is that in anyway during off peak-hours. Its in the middle off the day.

They even have physical servers in europe so why cant we have maintenance on those servers when its the best time for us and not when its the best time for the US?

I really dont understand their reasoning for this and its rather annoying knowing that the servers will be unavailable every tuesday afternoon.

Hopefully we can get some clarification on this or maybe its just me overreacting?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im sorry, but this seems really strange to me...

In the thread made yesterday http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=691258#edit691258 bioware announced the weekly maintenance and that they would try their best to keep these weekly maintenance's on off peak-hours.

And that seems correct in the US, but in europe the time is 10AM to 4PM.... How is that in anyway during off peak-hours. Its in the middle off the day.

They even have physical servers in europe so why cant we have maintenance on those servers when its the best time for us and not when its the best time for the US?

I really dont understand their reasoning for this and its rather annoying knowing that the servers will be unavailable every tuesday afternoon.

Hopefully we can get some clarification on this or maybe its just me overreacting?

Yeah it sucks indeed. I THINK its because they dont have an EU team, so basicly they are zZz at that time..

As 10 AM to 4 PM are working hours, I don't really care too much about it. In the future I won't be surprised to see our maintenance switch to the nightly hours as well though.

a) we're in a holiday season

b) extended maintenance may occur any time

c) it's just incomprehensible why bioware is incapable of doing maintenance in the usual timeslot for EU.

It is also possible that if they did not do all the servers at the same time the European servers would get swamped with people from North America who make alts to just continuing playing and then there would be huge complaints about queue times ( just a thought);)

This is absolutely ridiculous and incompetence of the highest order. Obviously I'm emoing because it's cutting into my play time but who on earth in their right mind doesn't put EU maintenance on a night-cycle.

This might be a subscription ender for me if it carries on like this permanently.

There seems to be very little playing to today's sever outage. I mean why would you have an outage on a holiday that is pretty much world wide. Why not have the outage tomorrow when people are back at work. I really just can't believe the planning on this one today 27/12/2011.

c) it's just incomprehensible why bioware is incapable of doing maintenance in the usual timeslot for EU.

The only plausible reason is they can't be arsed. Apparently they have hired 200 people working outta Ireland. Seems like they forgot to get a couple of server admins.

It's really bull crap for a company that claims to be customer focused. I'd love to see an official response to this. I think I'll open a ticket in the hours I wont be playing.

After being away over christmas I was really looking forward to play now, sat down and had about 20 minutes play-time before server admin told me I had 10 minutes to finish up.

Well, I feel more and more secure in my decision to remove my subscription which I took away after the braindead message about the queues last week.

Boo, Bioware!!

I have to say that Europe maintenance time is not acceptable.

Other companies have tried the same and they changed it because of that very same reason.

Setting maintenance to prime time instead of lets say 3 am to 9 am (considering its 6 hours) would be a lot better. Specialy now that so many costumers are on Chrismas vacations.

Please stop treating your euro costumers this way. We dont like it.

Hello everyone, we wanted to let you know that we will be performing scheduled maintenance for six hours on December 27th, 2011 from 4AM CST (2AM PST/5AM EST/10AM GMT/11AM CET) until 10AM CST(8AM PST/11AM EST/4PM GMT/5PM CET). All game servers and SWTOR.com will be offline during this period. This maintenance is expected to take no more than six hours, but could be extended.

Yup. I too think it's unacceptable and would also like to see an official response to this. The amount of time I've not been able to play is extremely disappointing tbh. I understand there are often problems with queues and servers at the release of a new MMORPG; but shouldn't be tolerated to this extent. I normally am only available to play at prime time resulting in a queue which is over 3 hours (was even a 1 hour queue on Christmas day...), getting dcs and getting stuck back in the queue for another 3 hours is ridiculous. And then to be informed of a server shut down to be taking place on one of the days I've got off during the day pushed it too far imo. Needs to be sorted out or you'll be losing a good lot of subs. What happened to customer satisfaction?

Before making a post about maintenance during peak hours, you should probably go look up what peak hours actually are. It will stop you looking stupid.

FYI 6pm till 10:30pm is peak hours.

11am till 5pm on a weekday is actually a perfect time to do maintenance as most normal people will be involved in doing something productive during this time.

Granted this is the Christmas holidays, but suprisingly enough this just means its even less likely that Dev's are going to be getting up at 2am to pander to your lack of a life, as it is their Christmas time as well.

Edited by Nicholai_Pestot

++

But not in the holiday period - it's probably not an ideal time..?? Maybe early hours of the morning would've been better..??

++

I'm a dev myself. I work on financial software. One of our American clients was pushing for a patch release overnight this week. Our managing director got involved directly and told them it wasn't going to happen because its Christmas time and grumpy devs produce bad releases.

For something as unimportant as a video game, I doubt the response is going to be any different.

Its Christmas for the people working on this as well. Be thankful there are any patches at all and remember you are not making demands of some faceless corporation, but of human devs who have family and have just finished what is undoubtedly a period of heavy crunch time.

Devs without RnR make mistakes. Do you really want that?

These patching periods are also probably going to be used to set benchmarks for the future. They need match up to future patch releases as closely as possible so that better estimates can be made about future change implementations.

I understand that it is hard to find a time that is acceptable for everyone. But why 0400 to 1000 US time? Why not make it something like 0000-0600 US tme? That way the impact for everyone would be less.

Bad show Bioware!

That would be less? Do you understand there are more people on late night during the week than in early morning in the US. i've been on at 0100 US and still had 100ppl per zone and i've been on at 0800 US and found 4 people on per zone. If you expect things to be the same in the game a year from now as it is now you've never played a launch. No reason to be as melodramatic as this thread is right now by expecting the same server downtimes forever.

While I understand your frustrations as I'm from the Uk, I don't see the need for all this rage. Yes Bioware should have separate downtiime, In there defence most people are normally at work this time of day so this would not normally be a big deal.

However it is Christmas and the downtime today gave me a chance to go see some family that I don't see much, so go outside do something constructive and when you get back the servers will be up and you can chill out and all will be forgotten.

that "unimportant video game" is not for free. Everyone still pay that under maintenance too

Yes. And?

You should probably go read the agreement you ticked when you paid.

2am patches are not something your money buys you, despite what your sense of entitlement might be telling you.