SWTOR and the Critics Who Love to Hate It

Sorrai

I'm very happy to hear about the next expansion and I'm looking forward to seeing what new goodies the Dev team has in store for us.

When I read some of the criticisms posted on the forums much of the tone often is very melodramatic and blown out of proportion--sometimes egregiously so. It gives me pause to consider the plight of game developers who must constantly contend with a never-ending stream of vitriol posted by people who are accustomed to spewing out this kind of scorn. To save my sanity I have to dismiss them by assuming they are probably young and immature and still have a lot of life lessons to learn. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but for all of you who insist on posting incessant criticism with nothing positive or constructive to say, be advised your words have about as much value as a credit spammer. You do nothing to improve the quality of the game.

I ask that people please be more constructive with their feedback. I also want to offer my thanks to the minority of players out there who post valid criticisms and support them with thoughtful, articulate responses. It elevates your opinion, promotes a valid discussion, and makes reading these threads much more tolerable.

A few people seem to be taking issue with SWTOR's identity as an MMO or an RPG rather than accept that it is both. I can say with ease that I'm quite comfortable with both the MMO and single-player RPG elements SWTOR has to offer and I have been playing this game regularly since it first launched. Those of us who played the original KoTOR have a much deeper appreciation for the latest expansions. We find them to be a welcome addition to the game since they celebrate some of Bioware's most memorable and groundbreaking work from the earlier days. Yet, you have some silly people denouncing the entire game because the new PVP warzone "sucks", or you have others who grimly proclaim that there will never be another new Operation in SWTOR. Ever (only Sith deal in absolutes, right?). Then, of course, there is everyone's favorite troll: the MMO Doomsday Prophet, who can not resist making their proclamations that "the game is dead".

No, SWTOR is far from dead. With some luck it may be around for many years to come and continue to offer many fun and unique elements for its fans to enjoy. The most important thing I think reactionary people need to understand is that every MMO is a living, breathing game that is in a constant state of evolution. The game WILL morph and change over the course of its life span. It will go in directions that you will genuinely love and enjoy and it may also go in directions that will hold little interest to you. I sometimes wonder how many players actually grasp that concept. The game goes in a new direction and people absolutely freak out! It gets very silly.

For now, SWTOR's focus is on story. I'm cool with that. I enjoy stories. When the story is over I'll have fun designing cool new outfits for my characters, playing Galactic Starfighter, decorating my strongholds, participating in role play events, fly some of the original space missions in between PvP matches, play a new class story, go datacron hunting, join a group to take down a world boss, work on my achievements to earn some exclusive titles and/or decorations, scour the GTN for that ultra rare bargain, hang out with some guildies and attempt an Operation on hard mode, explore the massive world the game has to offer and marvel at it's beauty and design and the occasional easter egg.

We do not know what's in store for SWTOR in the long term, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to be reading yet another stupid rant from some troll a year or two from now bashing the the Devs for "wasting" their time by adding new Operations, Warzones or, heavens forbid, new content for Galactic Starfighter. What a vicious cycle.