Begeren vs. Ebon Hawk/Should I Transfer?

CardiacLiberty

So I have three different toons stuck in two different servers because I wasn't sure which server was the best for me before. I live in South-East Asia, so I created a new toon on Harbinger because I heard most of the SEA players go there, and the time zone would better suit me than servers with more US players. Turns out it isn't any better since those SEA players never bothered to show up anyway, or bothered conversing with other players for that matter. So, I've decided to move back to my old server, Begeren Colony (with two lvl 50 toons there), which actually had more players interacting with each other in the first place, albeit having time zone difficulties.

But here's the thing: I heard Ebon Hawk has a great rep for RPing and stuff. Not saying Begeren Colony doesn't RP well, but since I'm gonna transfer this new toon of mine to another server anyway, do you think I should move him to BC or EH? Which is the better 'RP' server?

Just so you know, I'm not really a 'hardcore' RP player, but I do find the prospect of roleplaying intriguing enough. So RP doesn't have to be the only reason for me to transfer to a server as long as it's player-friendly, active in socializing, and preferably focusing on PvE over PvP. Which of these two servers fulfill these requirements better? Or if you have another server that you feel is even better than these two, feel free to drop a recommendation as well.

Thanks for your patience reading.

P.S.: On a sidenote, transferring servers is rather costly, 1k CC. Transferring 3 toons goes up to 3k CC if I'm to go to EH (I only need 1 transfer if I'm to return to BC). But since I'm still a relatively new player, I don't want my beginning experience to be "3 characters on 2 servers". Feels kinda messy. I also need to rename my legacy name since my old one was kinda crappy, so that's another 1k CC...

Edited by CardiacLiberty

Don't waste your money on EH. The Top RPers there are mostly godmodders and metagamers, and they have a communities worth of followers who don't ever call them on the crap, but if someone even so much as borderline godmods against them, they, and their community of followers pitch a fit and demonize the person. I left EH a long time ago because of this, and that was my home server before the game even launched. The fact it was my home server was not worth the crap I and others have had to put up with over there. Trust me, EH is bad business.

Don't waste your money on EH. The Top RPers there are mostly godmodders and metagamers, and they have a communities worth of followers who don't ever call them on the crap, but if someone even so much as borderline godmods against them, they, and their community of followers pitch a fit and demonize the person. I left EH a long time ago because of this, and that was my home server before the game even launched. The fact it was my home server was not worth the crap I and others have had to put up with over there. Trust me, EH is bad business.

LEL LEL you funny bro. I don't give 2 Bantha's about RP, but TEH population compared to BC population is like comparing a bear to a small dog. TEH is one of the most populated and BC is dying LEL.

So, how about we put aside our egos and come up with an unbiased answer, hm? Because both your replies sound like you're trying to settle some long-standing grudge, which isn't the intention of this thread, not to mention being unreliable.

If I'm to be honest, GhOsTPrOz, you're selling your shtick a bit too hard. If someone else more objective-based could confirm his statement about EH being more populated (and more importantly, more player-friendly), then I might consider moving there. As of now, moving three toons is too costly, now that I think about it. Think I might just have a single transfer from Harb to BC.

Edited by CardiacLiberty

I love Ebon Hawk. I have been there since the first range of merers. We were on Lord Adraas. When we first had to transfer there I was leary due to the fact that Ebon Hawk was a bigger server than I was used to but found my fears were unjustified. Most of the people are nice and will help you if you need help.

As far as roleplaying, yes there are some guilds that are big on roleplaying and they may seem to dominate the scene but that doesn't mean you can't roleplay. My guild is a small guild and we tend to roleplay inside our guild since we all know each other and trust each other. We have had our own roleplay story before launch and we have incorporated into the game for us.

That doesn't mean a new guild person can't roleplay with us, just that our style is a bit different as we not necessarily use the game stories as our own. We will take bits and pieces of it and use it in own way.

There are some idiots but there will be idiots no matter where.

My suggestion to you is make a throw away toon on both and check it out and see which is better for you as the only person that can judge what is best for your style of play is you.

Good luck OP in your endeavors.

So, how about we put aside our egos and come up with an unbiased answer, hm? Because both your replies sound like you're trying to settle some long-standing grudge, which isn't the intention of this thread, not to mention being unreliable.

If I'm to be honest, GhOsTPrOz, you're selling your shtick a bit too hard. If someone else more objective-based could confirm his statement about EH being more populated (and more importantly, more player-friendly, which from what I could see of GhOsTPrOz's behavior, isn't ringing true), then I might consider moving there. As of now, moving three toons is too costly, now that I think about it. Think I might just have a single transfer from Harb to BC.

Sorry if it came off like that, see you can't judge a person attitude based on typed words, you read that in a angry 12 year old screw you type way, where as I wrote it as light hearted and funny. TEH has a higher population though that is a fact. Another fact is that you just called me out BY NAME ....TWICE which is against the terms of service. Last time I did that when I was new and didn't know that, I got a 2 day ban.

Sorry if it came off like that, see you can't judge a person attitude based on typed words, you read that in a angry 12 year old screw you type way, where as I wrote it as light hearted and funny. TEH has a higher population though that is a fact. Another fact is that you just called me out BY NAME ....TWICE which is against the terms of service. Last time I did that when I was new and didn't know that, I got a 2 day ban.

Duly noted. Thanks for the tip.

I'm surprised only one person from BC is here to defend the server, on a BC sub-forum. Says a lot.

Like casirabit said make a throw away character on both servers and see for yourself.

I came here when Lord Ieldis merged with BC and have enjoyed it ever since

Edited by rklontz

I've witnessed slow periods on both servers during the early morning hours (server time) on various days of the week, so it really just depends. Also, fleet population is not a great indicator of RPers currently online as ever since strongholds and guild ships came out, many moved RP off of fleet (also can find it in the NS and Rishi cantinas where cross-faction interaction can be accomplished).

As others have said, I'd suggest you create a "test" character on Ebon Hawk to get a feel for it, and use your 50s on BC to check it out and see which server seems to better suit your time (and style) of play.

It feels like I'm wasting my time though. I've done this 'testing' with one character on Harbinger, and I didn't really realize its flaws till after several days of playing, which is why I'm transferring him away. If I were to waste another couple of days on EH, then I'd either have to:

1. Transfer him to BC if I don't like the server.

2. If I do like the server, transfer my two other toons from BC to EH and my one toon from Harb to EH, which cost 3k CC.

3. Delete my 'test' character on EH, leaving all of that spent hours washed down the drain since I won't welcome the idea of having characters across multiple servers any time soon.

That's why I was hoping to get some insider's insight to save me the hassle and money, people who actually have been on both servers to warn me if I should stay away from either which because of so-and-so flaw. But... this is giving me too much trouble. I'm not even that big of a roleplayer, so I think I'll just transfer my one toon from Harb to BC and be done with it.

That being said, I appreciate all who've been patient enough to help me out with the problem. I look forward to seeing you in the game.

Edited by CardiacLiberty

I've played on both. Led a very successful guild on BC and we left it when transfers were cheap

Ebon Hawk is undoubtedly more populated. By a very large margin. You can confirm this at TORstatus or simply though observation

http://www.torstatus.net/

BC isn't a bad server. I have plenty of friends still there. It's just very slow and for what my guild was interested in (Endgame Content), it was a far superior option to server transfer than toil away due to some false sense of loyalty to a server. I can't speak on the RP scene as I was never part of it but for things outside of RP, Ebon Hawk is a superior choice from experience

Edited by Rollbacks

• 2 weeks later...
I started out on Begeren Colony over 4 years ago but have been on Ebon Hawk for a little less than a year. I moved for the reasons mentioned by others already: Ebon Hawk has a larger population, in my opinion significantly larger and the RP is just as good in quality, which isn't really saying much :D. I believe Ebon Hawk would be a better choice for you. You say you are interested in RP but it also seems you want to participate in the other aspects of the game as well, some of which can only be accomplished in groups, so Ebon Hawk is the clear choice I would think.

So I have three different toons stuck in two different servers because I wasn't sure which server was the best for me before. I live in South-East Asia, so I created a new toon on Harbinger because I heard most of the SEA players go there, and the time zone would better suit me than servers with more US players. Turns out it isn't any better since those SEA players never bothered to show up anyway, or bothered conversing with other players for that matter. So, I've decided to move back to my old server, Begeren Colony (with two lvl 50 toons there), which actually had more players interacting with each other in the first place, albeit having time zone difficulties.

But here's the thing: I heard Ebon Hawk has a great rep for RPing and stuff. Not saying Begeren Colony doesn't RP well, but since I'm gonna transfer this new toon of mine to another server anyway, do you think I should move him to BC or EH? Which is the better 'RP' server?

Just so you know, I'm not really a 'hardcore' RP player, but I do find the prospect of roleplaying intriguing enough. So RP doesn't have to be the only reason for me to transfer to a server as long as it's player-friendly, active in socializing, and preferably focusing on PvE over PvP. Which of these two servers fulfill these requirements better? Or if you have another server that you feel is even better than these two, feel free to drop a recommendation as well.

Thanks for your patience reading.

P.S.: On a sidenote, transferring servers is rather costly, 1k CC. Transferring 3 toons goes up to 3k CC if I'm to go to EH (I only need 1 transfer if I'm to return to BC). But since I'm still a relatively new player, I don't want my beginning experience to be "3 characters on 2 servers". Feels kinda messy. I also need to rename my legacy name since my old one was kinda crappy, so that's another 1k CC...

Iam playing on EH. I can say for sure that EH has something that no other server has... Its decent republic pvp. If you play in wright time (duh i have different time zone with EH so for me it's 12-5 AM) you will see miracle - reps slaughtering imps on wrz one by another... imps have skilled players on EH but reps are much better.Though, On lowtimes (non active time on this server) on rep side you will need to wait 15-20 mins for proc and prepare to have fight like 8 vs 6 in imps favor... So, if your time zone matches with EH's time zone and ur a rep - This server would be a good and the only one choice for you.