Interest in PVP?

jnrose

Hello,

I have been a subscriber for years and I've always focused on RP/PVE, however I want to understand the benefits of PVP.

First off I mean no offense to PVP or the people who participate I'm merely just wanting to know the appeal.

1) Why does PVP pull you in? The sport of the competition, the satisfaction of acquiring new gear, building a community and friends or is the content superior in your opinion?

2) What advice would you offer someone who is new to PVP and where would you suggest they should start?

I would love to hear your guys feedback and thoughts!

Thank you,

1) Why does PVP pull you in? The sport of the competition, the satisfaction of acquiring new gear, building a community and friends or is the content superior in your opinion?

Everyone will have a different answer to this, I'm primarily a pve player and only do casual pvp so keeping that in mind what I get from pvp is:

1. Fun, I wouldn't pvp if I didn't find it fun.

2. A change from the scripted pve battles.

3. A better knowledge of all my class abilites - especially how to use them and move at the same time. It's great practice for aoe dodging in the harder pve content.

2) What advice would you offer someone who is new to PVP and where would you suggest they should start?

Read the pvp guides linked at the top of these forums - they are a good starting resource.

Time was you could try out pvp with a low-level character, but the only thing that pops now is arena's (4v4) which are a completely different type of gameplay than warzones (8v8). You may as well jump right into level 70 regular warzones.

As a new player you will probably die a lot. Get used to it and don't let death upset you; it's all part of the game.

Hello,

I have been a subscriber for years and I've always focused on RP/PVE, however I want to understand the benefits of PVP.

First off I mean no offense to PVP or the people who participate I'm merely just wanting to know the appeal.

Thank you,

I would suggest you have a read of this guide that was created by one of our pvp community members

https://swtor-tryhard.github.io/pvpguide/

Also the best way to learn to pvp is to play in lowbies and Mids as you level.

If you already have a lvl 70, reroll another Alt so you can at least learn the basics in lowbies and Mids.

Edited by Totemdancer

For me it's the variety. - You don't know what WZ you're gonna get and unless you're in a group or guild who all queue at the same time, you can never be certain how the match is going to go.

PvE gets stale for me- there's nothing much I haven't done PVE wise. These days I can't find much motivation to do stuff between PVP matches.

I think the friends and community aspect comes later - and it certainly requires work. Some people are happy just to name check you even after years. - But that's fine too.

I've played too many matches to worry about win or lose much. I still enjoy the challenge, I love a game seemingly lost that turns around at the last minute- a close match or a great scrap for a node or a score.

For me, I'm not that keen on the arena format. Nice for a change, but very tuned for burst specs and good co-ordination. One mistake is usually punished harshly.

Sometimes you get a run of awful losses, or easy wins. that's the nature of regs.

Go to it. there really isn't a lot to lose so long as you try hard. PVP can be enormous fun, especially if you're not too hung up about win/loss. Get out there and enjoy! :cool:

GL

Edited by Storm-Cutter

As a new player you will probably die a lot. Get used to it and don't let death upset you; it's all part of the game.

If you're really new, just stick close to the biggest bunch of your team-mates, and be sure to play your role.

- so for heals, keep back a bit, but not too far back that your tanks can't guard and your DPS teammates can't peel - ( tho' there's no guarantee they'll do either. (!)

as a DPS Attack anyone your teammates are attacking. Remember to use your DCDs when you get attacked. In slack times, get to know all the nooks and corners of the map. - especially if you're ranged.

as a tank, keep a guard on a healer or anyone dropping HP fast - and use intercedes and taunts pretty much on CD so long as any enemy is in range. If you're receiving heals, then by all means leap into the fray and give them hell. - Try leading the enemy away from the objectives to let your team-mates have room to maneuver.

Try not to get into 1v1 at this stage, try not to get separated, keep your eye on the objectives and ops chat. - There is no shame in calling for help, but expect toxic comments if you don't call but you can't deal with the threat.

It's unlikely you'll get to stand in one place and freecast for long - so brush up on 2/3/4 attacks that hit/heal/defend hard and don't over-drain your resources. remember your root/stun/knockbacks,interrupts , ( but read up on resolve) Don't be afraid to run around a bit, LOS the enemy and getting your CDS back. Sometimes harassing an enemy and slowing down their progress is as good as killing them.

Remember to relax and enjoy. - And you'll find your PVE game improves greatly after some PVP

Edited by Storm-Cutter

Hello,

Pvp is fun for me, I like that it is always changeable, I like that it requires ones best effort to play and understand all the classes and maps in game. Also it has a great competitive factor which adds to the thrill. Often you will die, sometimes lose, sometimes play OP class and other times the weak one. Pvp also gives opportunity to think outside of the box and offers different use for a tank then pve , which is my favorite role in swtor.

As others said guides are great way to start, especially the one linked earlier. Also plying lows to get a feel for maps. If you feel like it you can look up some YouTube vids or streams to get an idea. I would also suggest practicing duels to get better with combat.

When you're tired of guarenteed wins and want some that you have to work for -- you might want to try PvP.

But eventually you might come full circle and start playing in a premade. Whatever you do though, don't play in a premade of noobs or you will always lose (exception being if you're against another premade of noobs), not just frequently lose.

Edited by RACATW

Hello,

Thank you,

To me PvP is the endgame. An enemy that actually adapts its strategy and is constantly improving its tactics.

That being said Ive always been a huge proponent of people playing the whole game. You should be doing FP and Ops to gear fastest to be best in PvP. I think the gear system in this game does a really good job of promoting that without requiring it.

My best advise getting into PvP is to be persistent. If you're getting wrecked all the time read a class guide, figure out what you're doing wrong or what utilities might help you in PvP. And dont go into PvP expecting to do good with less than 236 gear, you wont have any fun and its a terrible way to think you suck but its really just your gear.

Hello,

Thank you,

In PVP you get non-scripted fights, so in every match you can experience something you never have before. That makes it exciting.

Also, it is you versus other players which adds a stronger competitive vibe to the activity compared to if you were just doing PVE content.

When starting PVP, I find the best thing to do is watch what others do on the class you play. When you notice someone really excels, send them a tell and ask them for tips on gears and other things if they seem helpful enough.

There are some good guides out there too, but honestly the best help I have gotten is from asking direct questions on these forums and ingame asking players about their gears or their utility setups.