Jedi lightsaber attacks

cymonguk

In the phantom menace, we see Kenobi take droids to pieces with quite flashy moves. He cuts arms off, decapitates, etc. however we generally don't see the Jedi fighting in human to human battles. ( I admit to not having watched much of the clone wars cartoons).

Would a Jedi employ the same kind of cutting up against flesh based humans? I am not talking against Sith Lords, but other humans, adepts, etc? Cutting up a fie doesn't exactly seem Jedi to me. It is almost glorifying in gore? I can see a Sith Lord taking pleasure in being cruel and committing pain on victims but would Jedi exercise this kind of form?

I guess that's what lore would teach us, yet tor is canon, and we can use quite flash moves as sentinels, etc?

You need to separate game mechanics from lore.

If a Jedi character's visuals (the effects one sees when an ability is activated) had to change depending on the target type (human, droid, beast), it would be more accurate by lore, but a LOT more difficult to produce.

Following on from this in the wars and battles with humanoids I am assuming that we would have seen large amounts of limbs, carved up bodies, decapitations, etc? Obviously these are not in the films very much although we do see on decapitation and one slicing in half. However if Jedi were involved in such battles even if they would necessarily go out of their way to cut people up, a swing from a lightsaber is surely going to end in missing limbs (unless the enemy have cortosis armour).

I guess my point is I had never thought of it, most Jedi battles were in small number in the recent movies, and the PT had robots to pull apart. I am sure that was somewhat intentional, but Jedi's fighting a battle would have been reasonably gruesome like the early Franco-Spanish-British wars!

Well, Star Wars is more or less child's story. Jedi's are good, so they don't kill other people in films. They have droids for exactly that reason.

But the lightsaber is extremely lethal weapon. You strike somebody with it - guy is missing some body parts. And is probably dead as well, so it's not exactly cruel.

And about decapitations - you remember Jango Fett, right?

Edited by Frenesi

In broad strokes, Jedi never inflected a killing blow unless absolutely necessary. Even in those cases, their preferred method of delivering a death blow was a simple stab thru the chest. A jedi was considered to be a great saber wielder if he/she was able to disarm an opponent rather than kill them. The "best" (read "most preferred") method was to convince ones opponent that there was no need to fight, resulting in no blows at all. The next best method was to destroy the weapon the opponent was wielding, rendering them unable to fight, but otherwise unharmed. Next was removing just the weapon hand, typically considered any cut between the elbow and wrist that completely severed the limb. After that was removing the limb anywhere between the elbow and shoulder.

As I said above, jedi avoided killing strokes when at all possible, but when they did have to kill the preferred a simple stab, as this delivered the killing blow with as little defamation of the body as possible. If a stab wasn't possible, decapitation was the next best choice. Bisecting the body (either across the waist or from head to toe) was considered a last resort move and only used in the most dire of situations, and generally frowned upon.

Generally jedi liked to end the fight with the least amount of injury or defamation to the body of their opponent; if they could end the fight without killing, they would, and if they had to kill, the did as little damage as possible to inflict the killing blow. Droids were the obvious exception to all of the above; the quickest method of dispatching them was usually okay. Pretty all of this information and more can be found in this article, under section 3.3 Marks of Contact.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber_combat

As someone else said in an earlier post, reproducing what would be correct in terms of lore would be much harder to implement in a game environment, if not outright impossible. So, in order to get the game developed in a timely manner, they make some choices that technically step on lore, but are generally considered minor enough to not change the nature of the universe.

Well, Star Wars is more or less child's story. Jedi's are good, so they don't kill other people in films. They have droids for exactly that reason.

But the lightsaber is extremely lethal weapon. You strike somebody with it - guy is missing some body parts. And is probably dead as well, so it's not exactly cruel.

And about decapitations - you remember Jango Fett, right?

No it really is not a children's story especially with all the murder and torture that is so prevalent in the universe. But I agree with you about the sabre techniques.

Sith go for the head, or try to stab their enemy

Actually a Jedi seems just as likely to stab someone, especially in an arm or leg like you said as it neutralizes the limb without removing it completely. A Sith would just stab you in the chest, bigger target = less effort, and its likely to kill you painfully to boot.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Shiak

I guess that's what lore would teach us, yet tor is canon, and we can use quite flash moves as sentinels, etc?

You're taking the game's "cannon" too literal.

Jedi preferably avoid dismemberment unless they don't see a better way. Particularly Kenobi Who prefers the Soresu: defensive form. As you noticed when he fought Anakin, he spent a lot of time trying to reason with him before he had to use lethal force not just because they were close, but also because that's the Jedi way.

Can't really reason with a Droid right?

Edited by jaytdasme

The Age of Conan in me wants to hack hands, feet, arms, legs, heads, and torsos in SWTOR.

A New Hope, Cantina scene Obi instantly ended a bad situation with 1 swift motion of his light saber. Where is our iconic saber play?

You need to separate game mechanics from lore.

If a Jedi character's visuals (the effects one sees when an ability is activated) had to change depending on the target type (human, droid, beast), it would be more accurate by lore, but a LOT more difficult to produce.

No kidding. Charging at a rifleman with a techstaff from about 30 meters out shouldn't be a contest.

And then all the Jedi and Sith my non Force users killed. According to TOR, Han Solo should have had a decent chance at taking down Darth Vader one-on-one.

SW:Episode 4

Obi Wan cuts off a dudes arm for slightly threatening luke. Obi Wan is like, the most peaceful chill jedi at least at that point.

I think the nature of combat with a plasma sword means that stuff is gonna get cut up.

i would speculate by this time Obi Wan has grown tired and Jaded, like Yoda. Still an agent of the light but has had a few too many head and heartaches with villains to maintain such a high level of patience and optimism.

your first child you try to put in time out and count 3.

by the 3rd you just spank em'... lol

Edited by jaytdasme

As I recall, Obi-Wan tried to calmk the situation down and resorted to his lightsaber when the guy got angry and reached for his weapon.

In Attack of the Clones there's a Zabrak Jedi Master that specifically seems to resort to using a roundhouse kick instead of his lightsaber when confronting a geonosian in the area battle.