We need healer,tank addons!

What I would like to see is a health % + value and range indicator on the focused target UI. As a healer, I'm always looking at a player, but I also need to know the status of the boss and my distance in some cases.

As a healer, I would also like to see Target of Focused Target.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to see some implied targetting. Seeing target of target is a step in the right direction, but being able to cast through a target/target assist would be a pretty big quality of life improvement for healing and even dps. Edited by Leovinus

Do not ever add a threat meter of ANY kind.

If you cannot manage threat, you suck at your class. Do not make this a game for kids to be able to understand and jump into on day one like they did with SW:G.

Keep the challenge. Keep the difficulty. Let the cries of newbs and baddies fall on deaf ears. Your real fans and dedicated customers are the progression raiders. The people who need a challenge. The people who need to compete. The people who want to feel like they have accomplished something, not just lining up for the loot that everyone who plays is entitled to.

Thanks oredith and Meltheran! This kind of detailed feedback on what you're looking for is really helpful. Hope to see more similar posts from others!

On my healing Operative I would like to see true target forwarding, like exists in LotRO. Meaning if I have a boss targeted and fire a heal, it heals the bosses target, and vice-versa aiming attacks through the tank.

This is not (as some people would argue) out of laziness; it's a question of economics and efficiency. If a fight is going well, if I'm not needed full time for heals and buffs, and aggro is not an issue it would be nice to be able to pop off a few shots in my rotation. As it stands now, I can't do this because if my tank takes a burst of damage or the boss needs a quick interrupt, I have scramble to change targets and even with focus that can take a split second too long.

Implied target (casting on the target of your focus) would be number one for me. I actually was thrilled when I saw the target of target window because I thought implied targetting would be part of that but, no such luck.

Mouseover healing is a close second in terms of priorities for me. Thanks for listening and soliciting opinions on this!

I'm back to this thread to clarify that while I am in support of community add-ons, it needs to be done in a limited way. I don't want to see threat meters of any kind, or auto heals (click a health bar to heal). Macros are needed, but need to be limited also. I don't want the ability to create a single button to execute my DPS rotation based on cool downs. That said, I would like the ability to create some basic macros (a few lines is plenty) to /target or /assist a player, and then /cast or /do {something} (i.e. heal, root/snare/dot, nuke/slash, etc...). Beyond that, I don't want to be a game script writer like you are in some games...

Though we don't have any news about allowing third-party interface addons, we'd definitely be interested to hear what functionality you feel is important to add to the current UI. Others have offered a few suggestions (thanks!), and it's helpful to us if you describe what you think is missing and let us know what we can do to improve the UI!

Before anything else: add more quick slot bars.

I'd say first check 1.2 and 1.3 PTS threads on UI feedback. There was some really nice inputs there, especially during 1.2 when UI customization was implemented.

Then move towards the suggestion forums:

Few much looked after features

• Transfer of target: I target my tank :
    • Heal = heal tank
    • DPS = DPS tank target

[*]Ability to move buff and debuffs in their own separate bars

[*]Disable portraits, character name and level.

Want more?

Few posts I made on the pre-launch forums:

I would ask BioWare to consider adding an option to have the subtitles and the dialog options displayed over a black background.

The black border around the typo is nice but it's not enough for all players.

Everyone doesn't have good eyes nor perfect lighting condition to be able to read easily.

I edited 2 pics as example of how it could be done.

1 Subtitle

2 Dialog options

(edit) Don't forget everyone is going to use subtitles for the alien V.O.

(edit II) [TiberiusNazamir]: Font scaling option

Thank you.

Most of the time the ignore and anon features are poorly implemented. In social games, can we say the chat feature can't go without them?

How about the following?

/ignore

• Notes: we need to be able to set a note to remember why we ignored a character.
  • Timestamp: Timstamp the date of the ignore
  • Spatial Chat: (options) squelch, colorize, /ignored channel
  • Emotes: optional hide all emotes from them
  • Character visibility: optional hide them completely
  • LFG-LFG-groups: the character name should be in another color from any other ones.
  • Player ignore: optionally ignores all the characters from the same player

/anon

• Login invisible: If you logged out with /anon activated no one shall be notified when you log back in.
  • Friends: you can check characters in your friend list not affected by /anon
  • Tell: /tell
    • I a player /tell you while on anon he will get a message saying you are offline
    • If you /tell to a player it will disable the anon for this player for this session only

While there are quite a few very interesting threads about UI mods, there are none that specifically points at desired features or even examples of UI layouts.

The idea isn't to promote full automation and so ruin the game play, but to explain how you would like to be able to tweak the UI to fit your needs.

Let me start with an example:

[Mini_Map]

< Description >
Depending on the character type I'm playing the maps is more or less useful. While for a "hunter" type I set my map at the bottom in the middle of the screen with hot keys around and chat tabs on the edge, for a regular character, the map usually ends either in a corner of the screen hidden most of the time; only brought into view with a hotkey/mouseover when needed.

After around 10 seconds of playing any MMO I look for a way to hide all unneeded buttons and features tied to it, like the +/- ones, the map enlarger, or the skin around the zone name.

Also depending on the action occurring: harvesting, traveling, fighting... some of the displayed information, while useful does not always apply. So it would be nice to be able to show/hide informations depending on the situation.

The idea is to keep the UI clean and prevent as much as possible the eyes from having constantly to move from one part of the screen to another.

<Features>

• Show / Hide / Move / Resize / Hot-Key toggle able

• Different shapes: round, squared, rectangle, half round, triangle...

• Ability to change the default skin, even the mini map arrow one.

• Ability to show / hide the terrain display

• Ability to hide features while in combat (nodes, terrain, vendors, etc...)

• Ability to set mobs icon colors and shapes (especially useful for colorblind people)

• Ability to select what kind of information to display (vendors, friendly, nodes...)

• Show / Hide / Move default buttons like full map toggle, zoom in-out, zone location text (top, bottom, vertical on the side...)

• Fixed map compass direction or rotate it option

• Optional zoom in/out with mouse wheel while mouse overing on the map

• Transparency options

• Events triggering: hide out of combat without aggressive mobs in range, hide in combat,

show on mouse over

• Ability for classes that have a tracking feature to directly select mobs on the minimap and show a waypoint in game

• Ability to create waypoints (and map notes) on the fly on the mini map also visible by the group mates.

• Different Settings per character

=================================================

Some more ideas:

[Tool_bars]

< Description >
WAR system that lets you show / hide / resize anything on the fly is great still...

Rows or columns of buttons are things of the past. Working with separate buttons that you can assign to a group is the way to go. (Have fun neatly setting hot keys around the radar with bars....) Also having a button you can only use on very specific events sitting in the middle of the toolbar, so the screen, is a no no. Such buttons should only appear when available. For example in a neutral city all combat icons should be hidden. Why show hot keys you can't use? Keep it simple sexy!

When possible I stay away from the default bars that you stack one next to each other leaving the hotkeys in an unfriendly mess, with much room wasted by the original artwork. In that way the ideal feature was provided by
in WoW: 99 fully customizable individual buttons "minimizing unavailable button clutter".

<Features>

[*]Individual buttons, plenty of them

[*]Custom size rows and columns tool bars

[*]Move & resize individual buttons and bars separately

[*]Individual transparency settings

[*]Fade in/off feature

[*]Custom borders and shapes, squared, round...

[*]Ability to assign hot keys to show/hide specific bars or buttons.

[*]Show / hide key mapping, individually for each bar or button.

[*]Events that show / hide / highlight / resize buttons or bars: in/out of combat, crafting, HP / energy level, available skill, stance, mouse over...

[*]Ability to virtually group individual buttons and bars and tie events to them

[*]Icon spacing options for bars

[*]Virtual gird to align bars and icons.

[*]Cool downs options (settings by groups):

• Fade off icons (cf.: Wow)

)
  • Display a cool down countdown over the icon (cf WoW

)
  • Circling border highlight (cf.:

• Hide icon while unavailable (cf.: Flexbar)

• Flashing icon when available

• Reduce and/or enlarge icon when (un)available

/

[Key_Bindings]

< Description >
PC gamers usually have the luxury (vs consoles) to be able to remap functions to fit their habits. Although, most of the time, for obscure reasons, some features are left locked to specific keys/mouse buttons.

While we can understand the desire for the developers to have specific settings, these locked functionalities can become an hindrance for some people. This is especially true for mouse buttons.

Simply put, every functionality should be remappable to any key combination or mouse button. If a player wants to open the inventory with lets say a right mouse click and attack with a "CTRL + ALT + {" just let him do so.

Also for GM support and debugging, there is a need to be able to activate the default setting for all key and buttons without deleting any custom setting.

Finally, players should not be obliged to display icons on the screen to bind hot keys to them. Be it with (limited?) macros or whatever, there is a need to be able to bind a key or a button to any functionality. The best example is AoC directional attacks, usually 123QE. Why oblige players to display those key on the screen, while after like 10 min of playing, they know them by heart and don't need to see them anymore?

<Features>

• Any key and button mappable

• Any functionality re-mappable

• Switch back to default settings without deleting custom ones

• Custom settings per character

• Ability to export settings to copy/save them

/

[Camera]

<Description>
The default system provided by most MMO is good for combat but starts showing its limits for exploration and becomes seriously limited for players that wants to record nice movies.

For example while players don't steer a lot with the mouse in combat, many of them do so when wandering around, much like as in an FPS game. Thing is, very few games provides a mouse look toggle (without having to keep a mouse button constantly down) or even a 1st/3rd camera view toggle. For some players being obliged to constantly keep a mouse button down while steering adds unwanted stress to their hands: carpal tunnel syndrome anyone?

Also some players like to have the camera set over the shoulder while others prefer to have it at their character eyes position.

Finally be it for filming or for players that have multi-screen display, it would be handy to be able to set the camera far off the character.

<Features>

[*]Zoom in/out

[*]Pan / tilt / rotate

[*]Camera elasticity setting

[*]Zoom speed setting

[*]1st person / 3rd person view toggle

[*]Record and recall a few camera settings

[*]Ability to change camera settings upon events: ex: while entering/leaving combat, while using a mount/vehicle..

[*]Ability to change the center of the camera related to the character in all 3 directions

• Move it away or in front of the character

• Move it from the center of the character to the left or the right

• Move it above the character or down to its feet

/

[Windowed and/or Multi screen mode]

< Description >
Having only one screen hooked to a computer becomes more and more a thing of the past.

People, play MMOs while browsing the web and managing their iTune player, or even having the game enlarged through 2+ monitors.

There's need for lovin' for managing the display conveniently and efficiently
;)

<Features>

• Different resolutions & graphic set ups for windowed and full screen mode

• Hot key function to switch between windowed and full screen

• Different UI setting, size & position in full screen and windowed mode

• In windowed mode, ability so set any UI elements off the main game window (cf: photo retouching softwares)

• Ability to choose were to draw the character/set the camera center among multiple screens.

• Ability to set the relative position of one screen to the other(s).

/

[No UI mode]

< Description >
Many explorers type of players would like to be able to spend most of their time without any UI being shown.

Although even if all MMO allow them to hide all the UI with a hot key, none provides ways to minimize the UI being shown.

In that way there are mainly two features needed, three if you consider multiple screen support.

<Features>

[*]Show/ hide specific UI parts with player chosen events:

• On/off combat

• Vital bars full/not

• Aggroed/not

• Possible ennemy in range

• Cool down completed

• Buff fading out

• Usable ability/not

• Bind any UI element to a player chosen hot key to show/hide it

• [Windowed and/or Multi screen mode]: In windowed mode, ability so set any UI elements off the main game window (cf: photo retouching softwares)

• [Key_Bindings]: Ability to trigger skills, function and so without needing to set them to into hot bars or be able to hide these hotbars.

• Only see opponents or group/raid mates bars while actively engaged in combat or selecting a mob.

• Optional

We know there will be an economy and an AH feature has been confirmed at e3.

How about gathering all your thoughts on the subject here for the devs eyes?

Processing...

More than a simple AH like WoW it would be interesting to have either a proxy bid system or an auto incremental one like ebay.

Personallized filters are a must to have as well as selectable sorting orders.

Having the possibility to save personalized searches would help.

A nice to have would be the ability to (shift?) click on an item automatically removing all identical object from the results. Same for categories, rarity, seller... in fact make all parameters toggleable.

Favorite and to be avoided sellers tags/list would help

Both for sellers and buyers it would be really interesting if a seller can put stacks of identical items with a per unit price and the seller can choose as many as they want.

For the sellers a wanted AH part would help a lot. So a player can set what item they want and pay how much they are willing to pay for it. A seller could then lock the auction, drop the item and get the money.

Automatic statistics would be great. Aren't we in a sci-fi world? ;) For each item it would be nice to have the medium price, the standard deviation and the median for the last 1-2 month(s) only, as longer does not really help.

Browsing the AH should be available from more than AH terminals. It should be available from houses, space ships and why not personal portable computers.

Items would be either picked up at the AH or for a fee delivered to your mail box: apartment/housing/space ship.

Top of that it would be really nice to be able to rent specific droids that would take your objects and delivers them to the AH from far far away... the joy of modern era! Letting you post auctions from anywhere without any hassle but a money sink.

[Parental control]

Time schedule

Played time stats

Pool of play time

Per session / day / week / month

/ignore

all characters owned by the account holder

prevent grouping with all the ignored characters (and so players)

Profanity filter toggle

Personal profanity filter dictionary

Chat log and email to parental email

If parent and child on, ability to CC the parents of all incoming and outgoing chat in a specific channel

Before leaving there are 2 things that would really help a lot:

The first being implementing a mouse look hot-key toggle.

.......For some people that keeps steering in mouse look mode, keeping constantly the mouse button down while wandering around hurts our hands during medium-long duration game play sessions.

The second being the choice of fonts.

.......SWTOR font is a bit too bold and as such isn't easy to read. What would be great is to allow players to change the in game font to a client side one. Or at worse propose a choice of a few different ones.

Ex: I seldom read the codex after 1h of game play because it makes my eyes bleed.

I'd be happy to answer to any questions you have

Edited by Deewe

I have one thing to say. as a healer from wow, and a tank. and now as a healer and atank in swtor PLEASE PLEASE BIOWEAR DON"t i mean DON"T add addon. please. the way it is now is fun and require some skill add on make that to easy.

I'm one of those people who tanked and healed in warcraft, and used a ton of addons. I initially felt lost trying to do the same jobs in SWTOR but I've adapted. I know I'm not as fast on the heals as I was in warcraft when using vuhdu, but... I'M OKAY WITH THAT. I like that everyone has the same playing field and hope that mods aren't allowed in the future.

The thing that I'd like most is a better alert for dispellable debuffs. That is the biggest hole in my game right now (and would love for tips on how to spot them on raid and party frames). Ideally for me, the persons frame would get a bright red border if I could cleanse it.

Mouseover clicking on frames would be nice too, but not as important to me. It would free up precious bar space which would be its biggest benefit. As an op healer, I can't fit all the abilities I use, pvp & pve medpacs, relics and legacy abilities on my 4 bars, not to mention convenience things like quick travel.

Though we don't have any news about allowing third-party interface addons, we'd definitely be interested to hear what functionality you feel is important to add to the current UI. Others have offered a few suggestions (thanks!), and it's helpful to us if you describe what you think is missing and let us know what we can do to improve the UI!

Dear Allison,

There are only two major problems that I have with the default Raid UI when I am on my healer. If you could address those, it would make my life much easier. Unfortuantely, there's nothing that I can do about them myself with the UI Customization:

1) As people have mentioned, the tracking of buffs and debuffs is miserable. It's extremely difficult to tell when a raid or party member has a debuff that needs to be dispelled. Similarly, it's not intuitive to see if you have a certain buff if you are a dps class, such as when something procs to give you a "free" ability. You can see it if you're spending your time staring at your debuff bar during a fight, but players should be looking at the encounter, not at their debuff bar 90% of the time.

2) Please for the love of pizza make it so Companions show up on the Raid UI when you are in a 4-person (or less) party. Healing flashpoints is such a pain in the neck when the party isn't full because of this. The best solution I've come up with is to set the companion as my focus, but every time you zone in and out somewhere (like in Esseles or Black Talon when you use an elevator or the shuttle), the focus frame dims out and won't work anymore - you have to reset the companion as the focus every stinking time. SO IRRITATING

The only other thing I would like is mouseover healing on the raid frames. Aside from that, I can live with everything for now.

Here are a few I think would help...

In Game Combat Log - Details on the current fight. When I died last night in EC HM, it just kept telling me the boss defeated me, didn't tell which attack it was that killed me.

Threat meter - As a tank... well as a Guardian, threat can be an issue sometimes. It has gotten better since the latest patch, however I would like to see an active in game addon for threat meter.

DPS meter - As a raid leader it is always nice to see what kind of damage your fellow raiders are doing. As a player it is always nice to see what damage I am doing, and if I need to fix something to make it better.

In Game Calendar - Scheduling OPS!

CHAT BUBBLES! - Come on, after all this time still no option for chat bubbles /sigh.

Edited by Nemoc
Forgot

I'm one of those people who tanked and healed in warcraft, and used a ton of addons. I initially felt lost trying to do the same jobs in SWTOR but I've adapted. I know I'm not as fast on the heals as I was in warcraft when using vuhdu, but... I'M OKAY WITH THAT. I like that everyone has the same playing field and hope that mods aren't allowed in the future.

The thing that I'd like most is a better alert for dispellable debuffs. That is the biggest hole in my game right now (and would love for tips on how to spot them on raid and party frames). Ideally for me, the persons frame would get a bright red border if I could cleanse it.

Mouseover clicking on frames would be nice too, but not as important to me. It would free up precious bar space which would be its biggest benefit. As an op healer, I can't fit all the abilities I use, pvp & pve medpacs, relics and legacy abilities on my 4 bars, not to mention convenience things like quick travel.

I agree.

In WoW, the addons would border the frame RED if the person had aggro, GREEN if the person was poisoned, BLUE if there was a MAGIC debuff, PURPLE if the person was cursed... it was so much easier to tell whether there was a debuff present and if it was something you had the ability to dispel. You could also tell who was getting attacked due to the raid frame aggro indicator RED border so you were able to be more proactive with heals, bubbles, etc., even before damage was actually taken. This game is light years behind on that front.

Edited by YanksfanJP

The option to just toggle class colors in ops frames would help nicely, and ofc the buff/debuff feature all above have mentioned. :D

The option to remove portraits would be appreciated as well as it takes up quite a lot of the screen for no real reason (at least the self portrait).

Others have mentioned all the important stuff so I wont reiterate them.

1. We pretty much already have dps meters from the Realtime Combat Log Parsers people have made, such as MOX or SWMoniToR. So having an ingame one would be nice. Maybe give the Ops leader the choice whether to allow other members in the ops to view the meters or not, to avoid epeen boosting etc. We all know how annoying that can be, so leaving it at the RLs discretion wouldnt be bad.

2. I would like to see some form of threat indicator. Not neccesarily a meter if you don't wanna go down that route. But maybe something as small as an indicator to say player X is close to pulling aggro. This is not about people not being able to manage threat, it's about the tank being aware that he is about to lose threat, and can thus go nuts generating as much aggro as he can before he loses it.

The reason I say this, yes its good for tanks to be doing as much dps (and thus threat also) as they can. But sometimes we're busy observing other things in the fight, and an indicator would be a nice way for us to know we need to go nuts on threat before we lose it.

Keep it primitive. Keep it caveman. Keep it challenging.

If you want to know how much dps you are doing, record yourself with Fraps, go back and watch the video, add up all the numbers and divide by the amount of seconds in the video.

Sound ridiculous? Yeah, so do threat meters in the place of LEARNING HOW TO PLAY.

The arguments for buffs/debuffs being too jumbled and confusing is legit, all else are unnecessary replacements for learning to play.

This is not about people not being able to manage threat, it's about the tank being aware that he is about to lose threat, and can thus go nuts generating as much aggro as he can before he loses it.

The reason I say this, yes its good for tanks to be doing as much dps (and thus threat also) as they can. But sometimes we're busy observing other things in the fight, and an indicator would be a nice way for us to know we need to go nuts on threat before we lose it.

Your tank should always be "going nuts on threat". If you are losing threat because your tank is not going 100% at all times, then your tank sucks at his class. Your argument of "observing other things" is a bad one. I'm raid leader and main tank and I have no problems with threat. Not since the 1.3 patch when they fixed what they correctly observed to be a flaw in mechanics. And before that patch came to the rescue our dps just controlled themselves better and I used the taunt button a little more frequently. learn. to. play. Add-ons are for lazy people and scrubs. If you want the loot, WORK FOR IT.

I love a lot of the ideas listed here about re-sizable buffs/debuffs. That would really help a lot.

I would also like to see:

1. Focus Target have the option to show health numbers and percentage text.

2. Have multiple focus targets. (This would be helpful when there are two bosses that need to die at the same time).

3. The ability to add yourself to the party frame. I would love to be able to keep my character and my target at the bottom, but also include myself with the three other party members on the left side of the screen.

4. Customizable party frame character picture--Dragon Age did this really well. You could change the size, angle, rotation of your character's face in the frame. It would also be neat to be able to choose from a few expressions, since the default image looks so lifeless.

Your tank should always be "going nuts on threat". If you are losing threat because your tank is not going 100% at all times, then your tank sucks at his class. Your argument of "observing other things" is a bad one. I'm raid leader and main tank and I have no problems with threat. Not since the 1.3 patch when they fixed what they correctly observed to be a flaw in mechanics. And before that patch came to the rescue our dps just controlled themselves better and I used the taunt button a little more frequently. learn. to. play. Add-ons are for lazy people and scrubs. If you want the loot, WORK FOR IT.
this is going offtopic at this point, but the way threat mechanics works in this game, any tank that can hit 1 button every 15 seconds can hold threat.

the taunt mechanics make threat a completely non-issue after the first 10 seconds of the fight, unless the mechanics specifically have a de-aggro.

i will actually intentionally blow through all my heat at the start of the fight and burst upwards of 1800 dps (powertech tank) and then just rely on taunt to hold aggro until my heat drops back down.

threat meter isn't necessary, but a threat-pulled indication (color change on raid frame) would be good for the tank/healer info, when there's a 6-8 mob pack pull.

It'd be nice if we could seflcast without loosing our target.

there's technically a self-cast modifier, but it doesn't seem to work.

i originally tried to set it up so that [left shift] was the self-cast modifier, so that if [3]=heal, [shift+3]=self heal.

but it doesn't work - shift is not a valid button for the modifier, i guess.

Edited by oredith

there's technically a self-cast modifier, but it doesn't seem to work.

i originally tried to set it up so that [left shift] was the self-cast modifier, so that if [3]=heal, [shift+3]=self heal.

but it doesn't work - shift is not a valid button for the modifier, i guess.

This is unfortunately correct.

There are a few keys, like SHIFT and CTRL that cannot be bound directly. You can bind combinations like SHIFT-A and CTRL-A though.

As said, buffs/debuffs need to be clearer. Let us split the buffs/debuffs into two sections. Allow us to increase the size of our buffs or debuffs so we can tell which ones are ours, and some kind of indicator like a colored border around the edges of debuffs to identify what type they are would be really helpful.

Target of focus target. Info available on all targets (and targets of targets).

Some threat generation warning option - even if it doesn't kick in till the aggro actually switches - would be helpful not only to tanks, but to dps and heals who need to manage their aggro generation, and to heals specifically so they know who is about to take a major health hit.

Also, allow the option of putting self portrait in party frames.

the only REAL change they need to make, is the ability to size/filter buff/debuffs.

as is, the system is HORRIBLE for tracking that.

As a healer: This is about all we need. Being able to see buffs/de-buffs clearer on targeted characters would be a HUGE help. As a Tank the only thing I REALLY miss is an aggro meter on my target. Other than these 2 things that's it. If you "Need" an add-on to do your job (a) Learn your class (b) Don't be a Tank/Healer.

(I would just like to point out that I have motor skill problems, some days worse than others & as a whole can Tank/Heal fine most days & while in a "certain other game" it was easier (healing) to click assigned mouse buttons over a persons name, it was FAR too lazy. If an add-on can help somebody with severe problems (much worse than mine) to play a game: Great. If you just want it to make things easier: It's not needed).