Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The 5.10 Gear Changes Don't Work. Devs, Don't Be Stubborn.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The 5.10 Gear Changes Don't Work. Devs, Don't Be Stubborn.

Ahwassa
01.18.2019 , 08:20 AM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
Let your initial idea for the 5.10 gear changes go, there is no merit in buckling down in your belief that you are correct or that this is what the playerbase needs. Because it isn't, this isn't what the players want or need.
I like the 5.10 system more than GC to be honest. I dont have to grind to 300 (took like forever at the beginning), I can plan with alts what piece I want to get and I finally have some use for the UCs.
With GC I had to grind for weeks and pray to RNGesus.

Now I "only" grind 1 tuesday - for 6 weeks = in total maybe 18 hours. Now I have 3 chars (same class) on max gear.
GC took way more time

(PS: I only play healer - min-maxing is no problem there. I can Imagine that other roles have more problems though.)

olagatonjedi
01.18.2019 , 10:16 AM | #32
I think its pretty safe to say that the majority of players do not dislike and/or feel the ossus gearing system is bad. There may be a few vocal players who convinced their friends that its a bad system, but the overall consensus does not indicate one feeling significantly over another.

IoNonSoEVero
01.18.2019 , 11:55 AM | #33
They've really left very little viable pathways for people to get gear if they are not interested in doing group activity. At least with GC, I could grind heroics or play flashpoints or bring alts through the story to earn CXP for the crates, and the crates gave UCs. RNG could be overcome by disintegrating the items for UCs. It might have been slow, and far slower than other ways of gearing, but it could still be done.

With 5.10, the only way I have to get new gear is to do the weekly 10-daily mission grind on one planet. I can dissolve repeat items for UCs, but considering that each piece of 252 gear costs at least 2000 UCs, it's too expensive to be feasible. There's no other way to get the crystals, and the cost of crafting the gear - 28 CMTs per piece, mats found only in a single NiM - is also untenable.

So it becomes a situation where all one can do is walk away and not bother even trying for the 252s or 258s. I don't need it for the story content and since they've made getting the gear so arduous, I don't care to try for it even for fun.

LD_Little_Dragon
01.18.2019 , 11:58 AM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
I think its pretty safe to say that the majority of players do not dislike and/or feel the ossus gearing system is bad. There may be a few vocal players who convinced their friends that its a bad system, but the overall consensus does not indicate one feeling significantly over another.
You're stating your opinion like it's a fact.

WHY do you think you know what the overall consensus is? HOW can you know what it is?

The majority of players who don't like the system won't be on the forums or in the game complaining about it, they just won't be playing the game.

There is no real way of knowing how popular/unpopular the system is. It's all guesswork.
Stealthy heals, stealthy dps, stealthy tank.

Noerra
01.18.2019 , 12:28 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by IoNonSoEVero View Post
They've really left very little viable pathways for people to get gear if they are not interested in doing group activity. At least with GC, I could grind heroics or play flashpoints or bring alts through the story to earn CXP for the crates, and the crates gave UCs. RNG could be overcome by disintegrating the items for UCs. It might have been slow, and far slower than other ways of gearing, but it could still be done.

With 5.10, the only way I have to get new gear is to do the weekly 10-daily mission grind on one planet. I can dissolve repeat items for UCs, but considering that each piece of 252 gear costs at least 2000 UCs, it's too expensive to be feasible. There's no other way to get the crystals, and the cost of crafting the gear - 28 CMTs per piece, mats found only in a single NiM - is also untenable.

So it becomes a situation where all one can do is walk away and not bother even trying for the 252s or 258s. I don't need it for the story content and since they've made getting the gear so arduous, I don't care to try for it even for fun.
This! This is why i suggested they would reset/start new tree on GC from lvl 1 again with new tier of items and other loot dropping from the boxes. It would freshen up the game for everyone and those who do group content would still get their extra crystals from doing the current methods available. Current system just promotes you to stop playing your character after you finish the story and looking at the speed they put out the new content they should make sure everyone has something to do and gear to gain in between the content patches. We can't lose anymore players now.

olagatonjedi
01.18.2019 , 12:38 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by LD_Little_Dragon View Post
You're stating your opinion like it's a fact.
What part of "i think" led you to the conclusion that I'm stating it as fact? LMFAO.

olagatonjedi
01.18.2019 , 12:46 PM | #37
To the few people who have paid close enough attention, its obvious that this whole situation is something that has repeated itself many times over.

The initial release of anything is ALWAYS going to push the boundaries of what BW can get away with. After the initial release, usually a few months later (not necessarily because of negative feedback), they make small changes to have more inclusion and freedom to acquire the new shinies. This happened with 4.0, 5.0, and now with 5.10 gearing. Hell, you can even put me on record as stating 6.0 will have issues that people will complain about too, and by 6.3 it will be a non-issue for most players (even the most spiteful).

They put gates on gearing to force people to play different content and hope that the players horizons become more broad - FOR THE HEALTH OF THE GAME. An MMO, or more specifically a certain area of an MMO (FPs, pvp, ops, nim, gsf, etc) does not stay alive without participation. The gate is to bring participation, EVEN IF ITS TEMPORARY. After a few months, they make regeants, components and gear available more broadly. Its how MMOs have worked for decades. Its not something new, and its not something that has anything to do with the complaints of not listening to feedback. Its a longevity strategy that has been explained many times in detail over the years.

VelvetSanity
01.18.2019 , 01:10 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
What part of "i think" led you to the conclusion that I'm stating it as fact? LMFAO.
Probably the selective reading part that filtered out the phrase “I think” in order to facilitate a knee-jerk reaction
Pre-CU Bria refugee
Syvari Lun - Cathar Jedi Sage
Darth Vaccina - Twi’lek Sith Sorceress

IoNonSoEVero
01.18.2019 , 01:23 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by Noerra View Post
This! This is why i suggested they would reset/start new tree on GC from lvl 1 again with new tier of items and other loot dropping from the boxes. It would freshen up the game for everyone and those who do group content would still get their extra crystals from doing the current methods available. Current system just promotes you to stop playing your character after you finish the story and looking at the speed they put out the new content they should make sure everyone has something to do and gear to gain in between the content patches. We can't lose anymore players now.
Exactly. If they had a new tree, or perhaps went to 400 or 500 GC levels or a Tier V, and allowed gear upgrades with (reasonable amount of) UCs IMHO it would have been far better than this. You've hit the nail on the head: they want people to grind until the next content drop, but they've set up a system that is just breeding boredom, frustration and people walking away.

I got my alts to Legend status with the reputation because I wanted the decos. Now that I have them I feel no real reason to keep playing the dailies/weeklies. I'm going to get my characters as strong as possible with the 248 gear and leave it there.

Dimoxinil
01.18.2019 , 01:25 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
Most of the time I am supportive of Bioware and try to spread positivity about the game and its direction. But not today and not now. Even though I personally am not that bothered by the gear grind, I am in a minority in regards to that as the majority of the players is highly unsatisfied with the 5.10 gearing changes.

Therefore, I am appealing to the devs directly through this thread: don't be stubborn. Let your initial idea for the 5.10 gear changes go, there is no merit in buckling down in your belief that you are correct or that this is what the playerbase needs. Because it isn't, this isn't what the players want or need.

Don't presume to speak for the players, listen to them instead. Jedi Under Siege could have been a great update if it hadn't been for the gear grind you have introduced (yes I know, the bugs ruined a lot as well). You have made changes that will work detrimentally to the playerbase and therefore I beg you: put your own wants aside and please listen to the playerbase. Put aside what you want to see implemented into the game and listen to what the players are telling you they'd like to see in regards to gearing.

Please, don't be stubborn.
I can tell you as a casual player I find it just fine. I can get an upgrade every week, complete what's missing with the masterwork crystals. I don't see a problem there. Sure there's RNG but that is mitigated by the UCs. 3 misses and you can choose what you need.
What I find bad from a design point of view is that the galactic command system is now useless. Why introduce a paragon-style system (levels on top of max level) and then abandon it on the next patch? Very clunky, shows the lack of a consistent long-term vision for this game.