Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What defines the cost of crafted items?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
What defines the cost of crafted items?

BRKMSN
01.12.2019 , 11:04 PM | #11
Back when I used to craft to supplement my credit income, if I encountered sellers that undervalued items I crafted, I would simply buy them at the undervalued price and flip them. I would use (or save) my materials and game time for other things. Sometimes you have to hold things a little longer than you like because the market is flooded.

There is always something in demand and you have to stay on top of the market "happenings" and be flexible and willing to adapt. Flipping is often more profitable than crafting/selling when you run into the under-sellers. They also won't be "in business" very long.
We have a zero tolerance policy for intolerance of any kind.

tahol
01.13.2019 , 03:21 AM | #12
There is only one answer to this question: The amount of credits other players are willing to pay. Everything else is just semantics and waste of time. One player is willing to pay more, because they have more of this imaginary currency called credits, or they want the item right now. Other player has less, and is prepared to be drifty and wait longer to find same item for cheaper. Nothing stops me putting something in GTN for 100 credits even if you ask million for it. No one defined the price to 100 credits, else than my whim. Or me willing to just get rid of something taking space in my inventory. I sell crafted materials cheaper than others. Why? Because they get bought. If I rise the price, no one buys. There is no magic formula behind this. It is all about what people are ready to pay, and for what price I am ready to sell.

JediQuaker
01.13.2019 , 12:09 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by IoNonSoEVero View Post
Yes and no. It doesn't cost me anything to stop and harvest a crystal or piece of scrap on the road on some planet, that's true. But the items all require some sort of product from the crew skills vendor that you have to buy, and others require items that have to be obtained via crew missions. If you're crafting a basic thing that requires a 50 credit first aid kit, it's one thing, but the level 9 and 10 crafting items from the vendor run 1250 credits each and that can add up over time.
Yes, but the "credits" are still just imaginary currency in a fantasy game - no "real" cost.

IoNonSoEVero
01.13.2019 , 12:16 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by JediQuaker View Post
Yes, but the "credits" are still just imaginary currency in a fantasy game - no "real" cost.
Yes, but within the context of the game, those "imaginary" credits and mats still take time and effort to acquire. Thus, there's an intrinsic cost to crafting.

PorsaLindahl
01.13.2019 , 12:19 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
This is a question with an answer that is different for most because there are 5 points to this and everyone’s idea of the cost varies.

1. The time or difficulty it takes to acquire the mats through farming
2. The cost and time it takes to get some mats that are only available by doing crew missions
3. The time it takes to make the items
4. The cost of mats on the GTN
5. Cost of white vendor mats (or mission ones if so inclined).
You missed a point, which is probably the most important:

6. People just don't care, want a quick sale, and will undercut to the point of taking a huge loss on the value.

AlrikFassbauer
01.14.2019 , 06:21 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by tahol View Post
There is only one answer to this question: The amount of credits other players are willing to pay. Everything else is just semantics and waste of time.
No. I do not believe this.

My belief is this : That the answer is simple : Greed.

Greed by those who sell.

Because I often see items being vastly overpriced even if it is rubbish - driven by greed.
I often see items not selling, but people refusing to sell it at lower prices. And sometimes, they even whine in the chat about "it's not selling !" even when admitting that they refuse to reduce the prices.

No. I do not believe that "the price someone is willing to pay" is the right anwer. Because that only turns the light away from the greed of the sellers.

The answer should imho therefore be :

"The amount of credits other players are wanting to get."
Complex minds
Cope with
Complex problems.

BRKMSN
01.14.2019 , 07:11 AM | #17
That's funny.

People act like greed only works one way. If you want something but want to have it and all your precious credits too, that is also greed. The 1st answer was right. The price is determined by what a person is willing to pay. If the "greedy" price is too high, nobody will pay it.

Assuming you see people actually complaining in chat because their item won't sell at a ridiculous price, that's nothing compared to the number of people complaining because the evil, greedy, fellow players that are wanting too much for "whatever it is they want.'
We have a zero tolerance policy for intolerance of any kind.

BlueWanderer
01.14.2019 , 09:26 AM | #18
When prices for the crafted item are regularly below what you could get for selling the mats it takes to make that item, the item is priced to low. I never understood why so many people spend time making crafted items, basically for a loss, because they sell for less than what the mats sell for.

Darevsool
01.14.2019 , 10:01 AM | #19
Blue mats are a mixed bag, value wise.

You get so many of them while you're grinding up your crew skills, and if you do that with multiple toons, you can have 1000's that you don't really know what to do with if you're not using them.

I've always figured that was why so many blue mats were so "cheap" on the GTN.
On top of, if you run the mission to get the purple mats...you're also getting a TON of blues that you're not interested in.

So to that ONE point...that may be why.

For DYE's I rarely pay attention to them. Most of the crafted DYEs available at the trainers are ugly (imo) and the ones you get from the various rep vendors are the only ones I really like. I sell those between 30k & 50k each, depending on if anyone else is around that price.

The resource list for them isn't too intense and it's pretty easy to crit for an freebie.
<Dead Wookiee Storage> Imp - StarForge/Satele Shan
<Babyslaughter> Pub - Star Forge
<SluisVanShipyards> Pub - Satele Shan
....and who doesn't like laughing babies?

Lhancelot
01.14.2019 , 10:18 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by BRKMSN View Post
That's funny.

People act like greed only works one way. If you want something but want to have it and all your precious credits too, that is also greed. The 1st answer was right. The price is determined by what a person is willing to pay. If the "greedy" price is too high, nobody will pay it.

Assuming you see people actually complaining in chat because their item won't sell at a ridiculous price, that's nothing compared to the number of people complaining because the evil, greedy, fellow players that are wanting too much for "whatever it is they want.'
I agree with this. ^

Also, there are so many variables as to why someone sells "too cheap" or "for too much" to worry on it.

One thing is there are so many ways to make credits off the GTN that if someone begins monopolizing certain craft skill items you have hundreds of other things to craft/make/farm etc.

I never found myself at a dead end when trying to find ways to make credits on the GTN, and I never let undercutters or competitors clog my ways to make credits off the GTN.

You just got to be flexible and try not to be one-dimensional, also letting the behavior and actions of others on the GTN which are out of your control irritate you will only add more stress.
The Revival of SWTOR: Petition for More Funding and Resources
(Click link Below For More Information)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=959696