Why my entire WOW guild and all my other mmo m8 won't play SWTOR

Gankdalf_

Thought this may be useful to Bioware.

I have a very large extended mmo family, well after playing MMO's for 10 years it's hardly suprising. What is not suprising to me is that I am the only person left playing SWTOR out of all the people that would normally be playing it with me. Infact only 1 of them actually went out and bought it, he left after 3 weeks.

Anyway there is one reason that unites every single one of them, one reason that is stopping all of them playing this game. That reason is lack of world PvP. Now first off lets define what we (me and my on-line buddies) define as world PvP.

Warning I am about to mention World of Warcraft, people that can't cope should stop reading now and go into a corner, suck their thumb and cry rivers.

World PvP is when you are out questing in "The World" and then all of a sudden you get attacked by enemy faction players. You may be fighting a mob, there may be 5 of the enemy players, you may die in under 5 seconds, whatever, this is called World PvP. No i hear you say, this is called Ganking.....well ok it may be a gank but it's still Player verses Player and it's in the world so it's world PvP.

No one likes being killed by other players, especially when they are higher level or outnumber you. However this brings a whole new game to the table, it means the nice pretty world is a very dangerous place and lets be honest, most people like a bit of danger in their gaming. And if you don't then thats fine, there are PvE servers, basically if you can't cope with being ganked roll PvE but stop ruining it for people like me who like danger.

My friends tell me they refuse to spend hours and hours every night playing a game that is about as dangerous as putting on a hat. They want excitment, adventure, they want to be chased of high level players, they want to be ganked by 5 or 6 people, they want their little Republic outpost attacked by 30 or 40 Empire players, they want their NPC's massacred, they want a world that is real!!! And so do I.

SWTOR is just lifeless, no ones is ever going to return to a zone once they have out levelled it. Why would you? You can't attack the enemy faction bases because even on level 20 worlds they have a zillion level 50 elite guards with 102k hp. Honestly you are digging your own graves here by making sure no one is every allowed to have fun. You are telling us how we have to have fun and guess what, it's not fun.

In WOW Blizzard made the rules but allowed a lot of flexibility, we were allowed to flatten South Shore, they were allowed to flatten Tarren Mill. They could sneak into Orgrimmar and kill the auctioneers, we could storm Ironforge and kill their king. Every zone after The Barrens had massive crossover questing that ensured we would all be fighting eachother as we levelled up. WOW was exciting, dangerous and fun. SWTOR is stale, lifeless and boring (if you like pvp).

This is not just me waffling, this is actual fact as I have a large list of friends that prove me right and judging by the amount of people already left this game I would say we are not the only ones.

Now I fully expect the PvE people to get confused again and start flaming me, they keep forgetting to roll on PvE servers and start posting on threads like this that they don't want to be ganked LOL So anyone that actually replies with Ganking is not fun, where is the fun in not being able to quest due to griefers, etc etc my reply is YOU ARE ON THE WRONG SERVER PVE IS -------> THAT WAY!

Edited by Gankdalf_

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought this may be useful to Bioware.

I have a very large extended mmo family, well after playing MMO's for 10 years it's hardly suprising. What is not suprising to me is that I am the only person left playing SWTOR out of all the people that would normally be playing it with me. Infact only 1 of them actually went out and bought it, he left after 3 weeks.

Anyway there is one reason that unites every single one of them, one reason that is stopping all of them playing this game. That reason is lack of world PvP. Now first off lets define what we (me and my on-line buddies) define as world PvP.

Warning I am about to mention World of Warcraft, people that can't cope should stop reading now and go into a corner, suck their thumb and cry rivers.

World PvP is when you are out questing in "The World" and then all of a sudden you get attacked by enemy faction players. You may be fighting a mob, there may be 5 of the enemy players, you may die in under 5 seconds, whatever, this is called World PvP. No i hear you say, this is called Ganking.....well ok it may be a gank but it's still Player verses Player and it's in the world so it's world PvP.

No one likes being killed by other players, especially when they are higher level or outnumber you. However this brings a whole new game to the table, it means the nice pretty world is a very dangerous place and lets be honest, most people like a bit of danger in their gaming. And if you don't then thats fine, there are PvE servers, basically if you can't cope with being ganked roll PvE but stop ruining it for people like me who like danger.

My friends tell me they refuse to spend hours and hours every night playing a game that is about as dangerous as putting on a hat. They want excitment, adventure, they want to be chased of high level players, they want to be ganked by 5 or 6 people, they want their little Republic outpost attacked by 30 or 40 Empire players, they want their NPC's massacred, they want a world that is real!!! And so do I.

SWTOR is just lifeless, no ones is ever going to return to a zone once they have out levelled it. Why would you? You can't attack the enemy faction bases because even on level 20 worlds they have a zillion level 50 elite guards with 102k hp. Honestly you are digging your own graves here by making sure no one is every allowed to have fun. You are telling us how we have to have fun and guess what, it's not fun.

In WOW Blizzard made the rules but allowed a lot of flexibility, we were allowed to flatten South Shore, they were allowed to flatten Tarren Mill. They could senak into Orgrimmar and kill the auctioneers, we could storm Irenforge and kill their king. Every zone after The Barrens had massive crossover questing that ensured we would all be fighting eachother as we levelled up. WOW was exciting, dangerous and fun. SWTOR is stale, lifeless and boring (if you like pvp).

This is not just me waffling, this is actual fact as I have a large list of friends that prove me right and judging by the amount of people already left this game I would say we are not the only ones.

Now I fully expect the PvE people to get confused again and start flaming me, they keep forgetting to roll on PvE servers and start posting on threads like this that they don't want to be ganked LOL So anyone that actually replies with Ganking is not fun, where is the fun in not being able to quest due to griefers, etc etc my reply is YOU ARE ON THE WRONG SERVER PVE IS -------> THAT WAY!

First and only thing I did read....

Nice of you to italicize the troll to save us a long winded read.

First and only thing I did read....

Nice of you to italicize the troll to save us a long winded read.

You should read it... it was good and he is right :)

A good amount of us pvpers feel the way he does.

Edited by Badlander

LOL.. I'm the only one left out of a large group of PVPers as well. All my PVP guildies left pretty quickly because of the PVP design and after listening to me tell them about all the bugs and BS, they have unsubed. I have just done the same.... back to WOW I go.

Let the trolling inbred flamers commence their POS rhetoric.

I think your definition of World PvP is wrong, it is just plain ganking, but your point is right.

Throughout the game (4 level 50s, and PT is 40+) I've barely seen any enemies, let alone ones that want to fight (even whem I'm on a mob and down to 30% they just let me quest in peace).

For a game that's lore is centered around conflict, there isn't enough of it throughout the levelling game.

Ontop of the ganking, there needs to be improvements to actual world PvP incentives, proper objectives (bases, towns etc) to take over and fight for, rewards (access to better schematics/xp areas for controlled objectives) and discourage the numbers zerging game (credit to the group that does the most damage only).

My guild hasn't left yet, but I'm starting to see what I saw in Rift/War/Aion/AoC etc. People logging on a lot less, only logging on for the weekly raid we do, or only logging on to get their 3x Wz wins and 30x Ilum kills. If there are no improvements/announcements they will be gone within the month I think :(

Edited by Soazak

You should read it... it was good and he is right :)

A good amount of us pvpers feel the way he does.

The thing is they call me a troll for writing a very good bit of feedback yet they are actually the Trolls for posting what they did....brilliant. :D

I couldn't care less about this post.

I didn't even read its content, because it is just another one of these "WoW vs. SWTOR-Flaming threads", which pretty much tells people, who are more then harassed by these posts, things we wouldn't like to know in any way.

as usual: If you don't like SWTOR, stay at whatever game you used to play, but don't spoil the fun for those who enjoy playing.

WoW's World PvP died quite a long time ago. Also, WoW suffered from the same thing as SWTOR does. When you left a zone, you were unlikely to ever come back unless you were helping lowbie guildies.

I do agree with you on raiding enemy towns/cities though, that was a lot of fun, but even that died when they overtuned the guards in Cata. World PvP is dead, and will be until a company can find a way to reward World PvPers without making it possible for 10 guys to corpse camp 1 guy, thus ruining any way he has to play.

Edited by DarthVarrak

wake me when theres world pvp in wow that isnt level 85s farming the npcs at a lowbie town.

TIME TO GET UP WAKEY WAKEY

Last time I quested in STV I had loads of fights with players of similar level oh and

PvE is ---------------------------->

OP is not a troll..

And I agree with him.

I went from 1-50 and only saw 3 Republic players in that time.

1 was in a far off corner of Tatt after I ran over a republic speeder hub and died to guards.

1 Was a random guy on Alduran who must've been lost and stumbled into the Empire questing area.

The other was on Belsavis, and we fought once.

Speaking of Alduran I got lost there once myself and stumbled into the Republic questing area after jumping off a cliff... I found a cave full of Sith NPCs and I thought "perfect I will find people to fight in here, this place looks important!" I sat in that damn cave for 20 minutes, and nobody came in.

BW/EA really went out of their way to make sure you cannot interact with the opposite faction outside of WZs, Ilum (which sucks), and the completely pointless Outlaws Den.

I really am about done with this game myself.

I couldn't care less about this post.

I didn't even read its content, because it is just another one of these "WoW vs. SWTOR-Flaming threads", which pretty much tells people, who are more then harassed by these posts, things we wouldn't like to know in any way.

as usual: If you don't like SWTOR, stay at whatever game you used to play, but don't spoil the fun for those who enjoy playing.

If you had read the post it was not at all what you are saying in yours. He was just useing WOW to show what he was trying to explain. Many many of us pvpers feel the same way he does.

The thing is they call me a troll for writing a very good bit of feedback yet they are actually the Trolls for posting what they did....brilliant. :D

It very well could be a very insightful topic, but being rude - and italicizing it isn't going to get you many people willing to read it.

I have played wow, and I would probably never go back to it because I like the Star Wars aspect more then fantasy.

I will most likely continue to play this game for the time being.

That being said, you really are right. This games pvp is really just down right bad. They more or less copied everything from WoW, and honestly are sort of following SWG's footsteps. If you played SWG you known that they tried to make it more like WoW, only it was not as good.

Guess what happened? Everyone went to go play WoW instead because it was better.

The problem is that for me I am sick of WoW, and if this game doesn't start moving forward in pvp progression, then I think I might just have to wait till planet side 2 or gws2 comes out and hope it gets that right.

I have played wow, and I would probably never go back to it because I like the Star Wars aspect more then fantasy.

That being said, you really are right. This games pvp is really just down right bad. They more or less copied everything from WoW, and honestly are sort of following SWG's footsteps. If you played SWG you known that they tried to make it more like WoW, only it was not as good.

Guess what happened? Everyone went to go play WoW instead because it was better.

The problem is that for me I am sick of WoW, and if this game doesn't start moving forward in pvp progression, then I think I might just have to wait till planet side 2 or gws2 comes out and hope it gets that right.

I am exactly the same, I quit WOW about 15 months ago and will never return, I did 5 years in it and most were great. I love SW and want this game to work but until they cater for world pvp this one is going down i think.

Not one game has done PvP right, except DAoC and probably EvE.

LOL @ Alby.. you should have read it.. I guess you can read by the reply but no, WOW is used as a point of reference. If you like Rift could be used instead of WOW. I'm sure there are just as many people going back to Rift as well. Dude all you want to do is flame, be constructive or go away.

Noone cares about your guild or pals.

sigh. Should i make post "why my mommie, aunt and moher in law wont play TOR"?

Reading /fail

This isn't about the fact that his guildies quit, he is outlining the reasons they quit. Those reasons affect all of us that enjoy real PvP, rather than standing in Ilum trading kills.

Most people I play with love the game, but agree the PvP needs a lot of work.

The main reason this is the way it is primarily centers around the fact that imperials and republic get sent to different zones at different levels. So the result is you don't see a lot of people around your level questing in the same area because the imperials are on a completely different planet.