The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

Ok, I'm not sure about who was at fault here, so bear with me.

Queue my Powertech up for GF, and he's a DPS. But, I forgot to uncheck it, so when it pops for Colicoid Wargames, and I'm the tank, I'm a little worried. But, hey, I'm next to the skill respect guy, and I'm armourmech, so I queue my companions to craft me tank gear, respect to tank, and head to the area. I mention that I'm not normally a tank on this character, but have respecced, have tank gear being crafted, and know how to tank with a vanguard, so it won't be any problem.

When I arrive, I find that someone's already started the turret. on their own. They die, and the Colicoids then begin wandering into the hangar area, killing us straight after respawn. It's pointed out that perhaps that starting the turrets wasn't a good idea, and someone else says (one of the dps, I think) that "there's no point without a real tank". He quits, a new (and much higher level) dps joins, and we finish the whole flashpoint with no trouble whatsoever.

Who was at fault here? Should I have quit immediately to allow a proper tank to join? Or was he just someone who's bound for the ignore list?

If you respec'cd and even crafted tank gear just to make up for your mistake, you're in the right here. Don't know whether you should ignore him or not, but the problem is not on your end.

around colicoid wargames you can still tank in dps gear. tanking talents help and you got that. but the rest of the flashpoint... its more about group coordination than anything else.

not to mention - turret section requires no specific classes at all.

that other person was definitely in the wrong. so wrong....

that said... I haven't tanked pugs in too long, because I have actually managed to forget how annoying it could be, with people jumping ahead, people rushing the group and pulls (dude, I'm waiting for our last person to get her, fer cripes sakes)

the most recent one - hammer station story mode, eventually ended up being generally good, except something that amused me on last boss.

typically I either leap in and then turn him, putting my back at the console, or in this case, I snuck around on my shadow to the console and then pulled the boss. I do that because I can then dodge his attack and leave the group maximum amount of space to maneuver in as well as minimize outgoing damage. apparently, our sentinel decided that avoiding damage is for sissies or something, and started attacking the boss from the side of the console as well, naturally never dodging the shots.

I almost wonder if his brain just shorted out, having gotten so used to pug tanks that DON'T turn that guy :p

So I had a few interesting runs with FPs today...

1. Nice simple queue on Mando Raiders on my Commando Healer. Wrong. Our Guardian Tank had no stance. Yep, no stance. I whisper him and nothing. Whisper again, nothing. Third time he throws on Shien... whisper that it wasn't the tanking stance... you guessed it, nothing.

After we wipe on the Dogs and Handler I have to tell him "change to Soresu" and he does, and low and behold, he can suddenly hold aggro! Though I will say be did get better once I explained that he should be in the 'Tanking' stance and to Taunt when he lost aggro.

I still had to deal with all the adds in every mob since Tank and DPS had tunnel vision on the golds and silvers but we managed.

2. Switch to my Assassin Tank and get Cadi. Our healer was brilliant and if it wasn't for her we'd have wiped so many times.

Reason? Our DPS Merc was in the healing cell... and the DPS Jugg was in the tanking stance >< and they enjoyed pulling second mobs. AND they, again, had tunnel vision on the silvers and golds leaving anything else to attack the healer, meaning I had to keep aggro while acting as DPS.

Still, we got through it, again, mostly to the amazing healer.

3. Didn't think I could get another group of idiots so nabbed a quick War Games on my Sage Healer.

While checking people's gear... the Sentinel has willpower pieces in a few slots. Makes me O_O. I whisper him and tell him it does nothing, he needs strength. I get "long story." I whisper again after the first part when he needs on the Willpower piece that drops then equips it and get a "it's fine."

Fine translated to him taking down one droid in the time the tank and dps took down three (I was too busy healing the tank and him to DPS). Whenever his heath got low he would CC the droid, wait for me the heal him, then resume his attacking. Whether he realized the droid healed during his CC I have no idea.

Thankfully he didn't CC when using the 'leaping' method with the gates, died, then conveniently disconnected. Gave him a few minutes to come back before he was kicked, nabbed another sage, and no more issues.

Seriously I don't mind explaining things to people, I really don't, but when people don't listen I just... my head said hello to me desk quite a lot on today's runs.

Ok, how are these people weird? They simply don't know what they are doing.

I had to keep aggro while acting as DPS.

All you had to do was hold agro and keep ads away from the healer, that is what tanks do. Sometimes when you try to do too much is when problems start. Let dps learn the hard way, explain what happen otherwise they will never improve. I am seriously puzzled by many stories in this thread.

Not much of a horror story, but more of a good cherry popping:

fist time doing a hard mode (me a 53 assasin), get paired for lost island with a 55 sniper (dps), 55 jug (tank) and 55 sage (heals)

neither the sniper nor i had ever done Lost Island on any of it's modes, which for some ppl in previous posts would have meant instant votekick....the tank / healer were more than ok with it, with the tank saying "hey, lets see how it goes"

I know i am somewhat (a lot) undergeared having only gotten to 50 last week, and only got 4 156 pieces so far (with a couple 150's and ancient implants / ear pieces (green/blues).

nevertheless, with 3 55's i figured we'd breeze thru it (remember i had never done it).

all was pretty much as expected till bonus boss, where it took us 3 wipes to figure out we had to stop running around the whole place like headless chickens and keep near the boss so we could still dmg it during icicle phase (still, we were all happy we got it and joked bout not realizing this earlier).

last fight was kind of a mess due to the boss carpetting the whole place with green goo spots but after a couple tries we got the ugly phase over with and rest was easy as pie.

tank tanked great, heals healed great and the other dps and i did dmg to baddies

all the mobs were killed in the more or less right order, no one broke any CCs (well, maybe once by accident), and other than a lil happy trigger before tank built aggro from the sniper, (again, nothing too serious and easily and quickly remedied by the tank), it was a really nice run.

talking about it with some guildies they all gave me their condolences when i said i had run a Lost Island HM, but i really didnt feel it was that much of a PITA.

tank and heals were more than helpful and understanding towards sniper and i, explaining tactics and stuff (mechanics for bosses mostly) rest was common sense (which does seem to be the least common of senses in PUGs)

most important i think was that everyone kept a nice friendly relaxed attitude towards the rest and the FP.

anyways, i guess i can say my HM FP cherry popping was a nice happy experience.

A few weeks ago, two of my guildies queued up and got Lost Island (why am I never online when people do fun stuff :mad: ). They got to last boss, and then wiped a couple of times until one of the two decided to drop group for RL stuff.

Guildie asks me to queue up, I zone in, and the first thing the tank does is give me a lecture on what any level 10 Sentinel worth his salt would Know. Use Zen on CD, avoid red circles on the ground, save Inspiration for DPS race phase, yaya, yada, yada We wipe once (the healer mentions this was better than the previous attempts), and then clear it easily. This is followed by the tank going on a rant of how he's proud of me and my guildie for clearing the hardest FP :rak_02: and thinks we'll do great things and stuff. We both say thanks and leave with swollen egos :cool:

I think the tank was just too used to seeing FotM Maras and Sents who can't DPS to save their lives, and was happy to see one that actually can. Also, this was before I bought RotHC, so me and guildie were both two decently geared 50s who cleared the FP. :p

Edited by EzioMessi

Ok, how are these people weird? They simply don't know what they are doing.

All you had to do was hold agro and keep ads away from the healer, that is what tanks do. Sometimes when you try to do too much is when problems start. Let dps learn the hard way, explain what happen otherwise they will never improve. I am seriously puzzled by many stories in this thread.

I think you misunderstand. I did have all the aggro, but the DPS were rather weak (due to being in wrong stance/cylinder) and attacking the strongs before the weaker adds, so more enemies were alive for longer, leaving me to spend more time DPSing the weaker adds to kill them then acting as a tank and keeping the attention of the strongs until the DPS work their way up to them. Mostly so the poor healer didn't get all the weaker adds' attention, because I know from my own healing it's annoying when the adds are ignored by the Tank/DPS and start beating on you.

Explanations were given to the players ;) they'd just fall back into their old habits at the next mob. I'm beginning to wonder if each new learned ability/attack should show up in a large window with what it does/what it's for in nice large letters.

Speaking of weird, ran another Cadi FP on my Commando with a Scoundrel DPS that only seemed to use the basic attack, grenade, and back-blast. Nothing else, never went into cover for any of the cover-specific abilities, energy never dropped below ~90%. He was level 27 too! I did whisper some advice to him, having a few scoundrels/operatives myself, but still the same routine. Until the final boss that is, where he must have discovered diagnostic scan so used that whenever someone wasn't at 100& health (so were at 92% or the like).

A few weeks ago, two of my guildies queued up and got Lost Island (why am I never online when people do fun stuff :mad: ). They got to last boss, and then wiped a couple of times until one of the two decided to drop group for RL stuff.

Guildie asks me to queue up, I zone in, and the first thing the tank does is give me a lecture on what any level 10 Sentinel worth his salt would Know. Use Zen on CD, avoid red circles on the ground, save Inspiration for DPS race phase, yaya, yada, yada We wipe once (the healer mentions this was better than the previous attempts), and then clear it easily. This is followed by the tank going on a rant of how he's proud of me and my guildie for clearing the hardest FP :rak_02: and thinks we'll do great things and stuff. We both say thanks and leave with swollen egos :cool:

I think the tank was just too used to seeing FotM Maras and Sents who can't DPS to save their lives, and was happy to see one that actually can. Also, this was before I bought RotHC, so me and guildie were both two decently geared 50s who cleared the FP. :p

Lost Island is by design the hardest FP in that series. They increase as you go and for 50 and 50HM Kaon and LI keep you on your toes even when you're geared so that you won't go into 55HM or 50+ Ops thinking every fight is a tank and spank.

Interesting tactics mentioned above though, haven't tried standing under the bonus boss. I do know that running while the ice is falling works without issue and you don't take damage. Only time I've had issues is when someone who's ranged tries to get out of range of the ice, which definitely doesn't work.

Lost Island is by design the hardest FP in that series. They increase as you go and for 50 and 50HM Kaon and LI keep you on your toes even when you're geared so that you won't go into 55HM or 50+ Ops thinking every fight is a tank and spank.

Interesting tactics mentioned above though, haven't tried standing under the bonus boss. I do know that running while the ice is falling works without issue and you don't take damage. Only time I've had issues is when someone who's ranged tries to get out of range of the ice, which definitely doesn't work.

dunno if LI is the hardest or not, on our run, i really didn't feel at any time that we were sucking badly at it, if anything, those wipes were educational....

and i didn't say stay under the bonus boss, just run round close to is so you can keep dpsing.... we was all over the area the first few times....and the boss ended up enraging.... once we closed down the circling we did it in 1/2 the time and effort.

dunno if LI is the hardest or not, on our run

LI got nerfed with 2.0 to be on par with the other lvl 50 hm fp's.

It may still be the hardest of the lvl 50 hm fp's but it is/was easily doable in black hole gear.

When it first came out we did it in a columi/rakata mix, it took a few tries

Speaking of weird, ran another Cadi FP on my Commando with a Scoundrel DPS that only seemed to use the basic attack, grenade, and back-blast. Nothing else, never went into cover for any of the cover-specific abilities, energy never dropped below ~90%. He was level 27 too! I did whisper some advice to him, having a few scoundrels/operatives myself, but still the same routine. Until the final boss that is, where he must have discovered diagnostic scan so used that whenever someone wasn't at 100& health (so were at 92% or the like).

are you perhaps mixing up scoundrel and gunslinger? i don't find it odd at all that a scoundrel was not using charged burst or sabotage charge (even though the latter does have its uses. it's not a necessary attack by any means).

i would be more surprised by the fact that the wasn't using blaster whip.

my vanguard just hit 55 a few days ago, and while he was 49, i decided to queue up for a FP so that i could get to 50 and start working on the daily areas since i had just ran through and finished the balsavis dailies.

i joined a D7 already in progress past the first mini boss (the droid with the turrets).

when i zoned in, everyone was sitting next to me. still confused about that, but we soldiered on.

they explained to me that they kicked the last dps for 'being afk' which i didn't really ask, but ok. they must have told me that to intimidate me into not going afk.

anyway, so we go past the miniboss, and after crossing the bridge, the tank (lv50, everyone else in the group was under 50) had decided that we should skip everything and go for a fast run. works well for you, since you're not getting any xp out of it, but whatever; i just wanted to hit 50 and be done with it.

so we all hug the pipes and skip past some mobs while the healer breaks off to the side along the docks and then promptly falls into the water.

'help' he cried. looking back, i should have just told him to zone out and come back in, but i ran over to show him how he could jump on some rocks to get back onto the docks.

btw, there was a LOT of chat lag for some reason, so when i went to explain to him about a particular jump that was tricky and he could become stuck, he was already stuck perpetually falling between a literal rock and a hard place (the edge of the docks) by the time the message showed up into chat.

i used /stuck to get free, so did he. but that would be too simple. he got stuck again. so the healer and i discussed for a little bit about what to do while /stuck was on cooldown, and i explained to him how to make the jump so that he could avoid being stuck. we had plenty of time waiting for /stuck so the chat lag wasn't such an issue.

the tank offered to go into combat so we could just use /stuck in combat to die.

not thinking much of it and therefore not responding, since /stuck wasn't usable for a couple minutes, and of course HOLY CHAT LAG. we had all discussed it and were experiencing it. but he waited maybe 5-10s (or maybe some of his chat was lagged and some wasn't), but out of nowhere he said.

'GUYS'

'USE MY *********** METHOD'

'OR IM LEAVING'

i really wanted to say 'ok bye' but i was in sort of a rush to ding 50, so i let it go. i didn't have any tank gear, so i didn't think i could tank it in my lv45 or so blues, and i didn't want to wait in the queue for another one.

so we waited until /stuck was available, tank went into combat; healer and i use /stuck, die, and respawn at the entrance.

as soon as the tank went into combat, he started typing 'HELP ME' over and over again while, i presume, the sentinel killed everything for him. i make this presumption because the tank never took any damage after the first 2 or 3 seconds of starting combat, and the sentinel had almost died by the time we caught up to them.

i thought 'well your plan seems to be working just fine...'

then the healer got stuck. aaaaaagain. i am honestly not sure how. i seriously have no idea. i questioned for a second whether he was just trolling us or not, but if he was, he was most the skilled trolled ever.

he managed to get stuck between some pipes that went over the side of the docks into the water. it seemed that the only way for him to get out was jump back down into the water where the pipes were thinner and he could just squeeze out that way. the pipes at the top over the docks were thicker, so i have no idea how he got in, but there was no way out.

soooo i dropped down with him into the water. again. he confessed his embarrassment about being stuck again, and i said 'np lol' and explained again how to get up onto the rocks and back onto the dock.

i'm sure the tank at this point was bashing he face into his keyboard, but he didn't say anything else in chat.

well, we get to the rocks, i show the healer how to jump up again and.................

he did it! (hooray) first try that time. we caught up with the other two, helped them finish off the remaining mobs, and then continued on our (mostly) merry way.

the tank calmed down after that, but on the next pull it became apparent to me that he was not actually specced as a tank. he was at least using ion cell, but i saw him use incendiary round, and when he used his reactive shield, i could see that he had electro shield traited. oddly enough, he did actually have static field traited, but i never once saw him use storm or riot gas, never saw him get a power screen buff (but i wasn't really looking for that).

and so i ended up tanking most of the flashpoint on my 49 tactics vg anyway, when i should have just let him leave when he flipped out earlier instead of worry about where we were going to find a tank, but at least he didn't freak out any more after that? or something.

Edited by oaceen

Never seen anyone have issues with it unless he/she falls into the water, but interesting.

On popular place to get stuck is when you are riding the pipes between the large crate and the wall. Sometimes /stuck doesn't even help in that case, someone has to pull you out.

Fight your way through and you don't get stuck :D

With the new cybernetic gear I am gearing lowbie alts and toons with it and acting like a robot in groups. I will randomly breakout in my 'robot' dance and speak like the droids that give you quests

Weird people you meet in this forum :eek:

Edited by ELRunninW

My ignore list on my tank is twice as long as those on my DPS or healer. Last night was a typical group finder run. I ask for CCs, we get two (rare), and as the fight goes down smoothly, one of the DPS, a knight, taunts me with "didn't think you could keep agro huh?" Mid-way through the next trash fight the other DPS drops for a home emergency, so while I set the group finder to recruit another DPS, I get another taunt "why are we waiting? I can tank if you are afraid". Gear check time. I am in 69s and 72s, Attitude Dude has 58s, but with shield and absorb. Ah, a rising star tank trying for better gear in 55 HM as a DPS. Grab a bag of popcorn, as the next fight just had 4 normals and a gold. Funny, the baddies' health is going down a lot slower than Attitude's. I jump in when the healer draws the gold's agro due the sweat he is working up keeping Attitude alive. While I wait for the healer to recover energy, Attitude Dude runs past with their hair on fire, a line of agroed baddies from the next trash fight in hot pursuit. I pick a gold out of the train as it was vearing for our healer again. After the dust cleared, I get "Fine, we'll do it your way Mr. Know-it-all". We proceeded through the next 2 boss fights cleanly with steam coming out of AD's ears, but eventually our modest pace was too much for their connection and they DC'd around the Bonus Boss.

I am seeing increasing hostility even when the fights are going cleanly. A DPS in virtually all 72s left a clean run with a stream of explicatives because he was pulling agro in some of the fights. We finished the run intact , but he did not like having his health bar go to 50% while I had to wait for my prime agro attack to come off cool-down. Even with my back to a wall, the boss can change agro if they knock me back hard enough to get vertical distance.

We had a recent fight where the tank was a novice and was getting coaching from us through a voice chat. Perfectly clean run through the first two bosses when the private messages started from a DPS, "This too slow" "You are a noob", he then stumbled into a side mob and got the group wiped. The last two bosses had one wipe each from the now rattled tank. If they had just kept calm and enjoyed the ride we could finished faster by not cloning.

Whether this your first toon or your tenth, I will work with you, but when you start taunting your own teamates and act like you are the only important one there, it gives me an attitude of NMFP. If you are here for fun, let's have some. If we are you gear finding tool to uberness, may I suggest <right click> group <leave group>.

anyway, so we go past the miniboss, and after crossing the bridge, the tank (lv50, everyone else in the group was under 50) had decided that we should skip everything and go for a fast run. works well for you, since you're not getting any xp out of it, but whatever; i just wanted to hit 50 and be done with it.

Why are people taking more time in the art of skipping trash then actually clearing the trash? If it proves to be that tough I would just kill the trash and be done with it ;-)

Funny story, thats true :p

What I noticed myself in lowbees is that about 70% of people are just unaware of tactics or some mechanics. It has come to the point that I just dont care anymore if my commando healer is tanking 3 out of 4 bosses in mando-raiders (boarding party fight). I just heal myself and take the beating :p No sense in winding up.

Edited by fire-breath

Awesome stories guys, before I retired from GF FPs for progression operation, I'd consider myself one of the odd people you would meet in flashpoints.

While knowing my class limits and defensive cooldowns, if tanks pulls too slow, I would leap in and pull first on trash mobs, if I'm premade a healer friend, he knows I will be chain pulling another mob as soon as the current one dies. Just to push the pace you know? I'm sure a lot of people who were using flashpoint for practice would be somewhat annoyed with what I do, but the idea was to finish those FPs as fast as we can. Note that unlike most of these stories, I don't die to mobs that I pull, most of the time I'm certain even if I receive zero heals, I can solo kill it ( at that point I was very overgeared and just grinding ultimate coms for alts)

The weirdest thing I encountered was a tank who refused to guard me in a flashpoint even though he is unable to hold agro on the boss, despite me agro dumping right after his taunts. So I politely explained to him I need the guard to stop pulling, so we can finish this FP faster. He went on this rant and argued the healers take less damage, and the healers pull the most agro. So I was getting pretty angry at that point, so I proceeded to vote kick him. I put him on ignore, and finished that FP with 3 people, basically "marauder tank" the rest of the way through.

Edited by AscendentReality

Why are people taking more time in the art of skipping trash then actually clearing the trash? If it proves to be that tough I would just kill the trash and be done with it ;-)

Funny story, thats true :p

What I noticed myself in lowbees is that about 70% of people are just unaware of tactics or some mechanics. It has come to the point that I just dont care anymore if my commando healer is tanking 3 out of 4 bosses in mando-raiders (boarding party fight). I just heal myself and take the beating :p No sense in winding up.

Yeah, this fight is a pain in the *** for healers. When I rolled my Sage, and played this FP (nearly 10 times as both heals and DPS), as a healer I would have both the agent and the bounty hunter on me all the time, with the mara and sorc randomly joining my party. And as a DPS, since I seemed to be the only guy capable of DPSing, I ended up tanking all four of them while our tank tunnel visioned one.

The weirdest group I've met so far:

Tank and healer wiped by Living Fire in HM Athiss. Kicked me for being undergeared (apparently). So my (apparent) lack of gear, somehow weakened the tank and healer when they stood inside the fire. :rolleyes:

Tank insisted that I needed Elite gear...... to finish the FP that drops Elite gear.....

Damn, I know my namesake is a freaking magician (in Soccer), but even Messi can't conjure up level 69 gear before attempting a 55 HM. :D