Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

"Unknown Effect Result" is ruining my gameplay

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Gunslinger / Sniper
"Unknown Effect Result" is ruining my gameplay

Segundus's Avatar


Segundus
05.05.2012 , 06:24 PM | #1
As Snipers, we rely heavily on our ability to enter cover. If I cannot enter cover I cannot use the majority of my sniper abilities. Often when I attempt to enter cover, the action gets denied with the error "Unknown Effect Result". Sometimes it will happen many times in a row which can completely ruin whatever I am doing, especially PVP. I had it happen yesterday where it would not work at all, and the error would come up everytime until I eventually relogged. I don't want to have to relog everytime this error decides it's going to show up. I have already entered a support ticket and it was forwarded on, but I wanted to bring it up here to get the public aware of it. I hear it happens to other classes too. Please fix this as it is gamebreaking, especially for PVPers.

Thank you.

Jedi Consular: "Wow, there's useless, then there's you people."
Jar Jar Binks: "Watsa yousa mean 'YOU PEOPLE'?!"

NoTomorrow's Avatar


NoTomorrow
05.06.2012 , 01:16 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Segundus View Post
As Snipers, we rely heavily on our ability to enter cover. If I cannot enter cover I cannot use the majority of my sniper abilities. Often when I attempt to enter cover, the action gets denied with the error "Unknown Effect Result". Sometimes it will happen many times in a row which can completely ruin whatever I am doing, especially PVP. I had it happen yesterday where it would not work at all, and the error would come up everytime until I eventually relogged. I don't want to have to relog everytime this error decides it's going to show up. I have already entered a support ticket and it was forwarded on, but I wanted to bring it up here to get the public aware of it. I hear it happens to other classes too. Please fix this as it is gamebreaking, especially for PVPers.

Thank you.
the cover system is quite bugged after the last patch. As for this particular error, i had this one we i was on a very thin ledge and by no means i was supposed to be able to drop my portable cover.

MasterFeign's Avatar


MasterFeign
05.06.2012 , 04:12 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by NoTomorrow View Post
the cover system is quite bugged after the last patch. As for this particular error, i had this one we i was on a very thin ledge and by no means i was supposed to be able to drop my portable cover.
While it's understandable that a sniper shouldn't be able to go into cover on a strange ledge, it does make it a bit unfair when lets say a melee class can do so without issue.

Though perhaps "unfair" isn't the right word to use here either.

NicWester's Avatar


NicWester
05.06.2012 , 11:08 AM | #4
For me, it's normally only a problem in Huttball along the upper catwalks. Sometimes I get it when I'm trying to get as close as possible to the edge of the platform on Alderaan Civil War, but not all the time. Eventually you just sort of learn where the annoying parts are and avoid them.

I completely agree, by the way, so don't think I'm trying to tell you to l2p or anything. But, as I said, once you've burned your hand enough, you eventually learn to not put it on the stove =P

Celacia's Avatar


Celacia
05.06.2012 , 01:37 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by NicWester View Post
For me, it's normally only a problem in Huttball along the upper catwalks. Sometimes I get it when I'm trying to get as close as possible to the edge of the platform on Alderaan Civil War, but not all the time. Eventually you just sort of learn where the annoying parts are and avoid them.

I completely agree, by the way, so don't think I'm trying to tell you to l2p or anything. But, as I said, once you've burned your hand enough, you eventually learn to not put it on the stove =P
I have found turning slightly to be helpful there, so you aren't facing the ledge head on, but have a bit more of the ground in front of you.

Cyclopean's Avatar


Cyclopean
05.06.2012 , 03:17 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Celacia View Post
I have found turning slightly to be helpful there, so you aren't facing the ledge head on, but have a bit more of the ground in front of you.
We shouldn't have to be this meticulous when going into cover.
Atlantia (Imp) & Atlanti (Rep)
Slackerz & Crescendo
The Swiftsure

nikthebeast's Avatar


nikthebeast
05.06.2012 , 04:15 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Cyclopean View Post
We shouldn't have to be this meticulous when going into cover.
Indeed, meanwhile a commando can tip-toe around with an assault cannon.
Nilak
Server: Bloodworthy

NicWester's Avatar


NicWester
05.08.2012 , 08:40 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Cyclopean View Post
We shouldn't have to be this meticulous when going into cover.
Totally. But as I said, as you play more you figure out what causes the problem most often and learn to avoid it. The thing is, you generally don't need to be that far along the ledge in the first place. Just drop into cover a tiny fraction of a bit sooner and you're good to go. At this point, and again I don't mean to make it sound like I'm saying l2p so I'm sorry if it comes across that way, but at this point it takes me more effort to get the Unknown Effect bug than it does to avoid it.

StJohnLimbo's Avatar


StJohnLimbo
05.08.2012 , 08:54 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterFeign View Post
While it's understandable that a sniper shouldn't be able to go into cover on a strange ledge, it does make it a bit unfair when lets say a melee class can do so without issue.

Though perhaps "unfair" isn't the right word to use here either.
Melee classes can take cover, and on ledges? NOOOOOOOO!!!

That reminds me. I need to log on my sentinel, hit P, find portable cover/crouch skill, and bind it. Oh crap all my slots are still full. NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

/******tery