Feedback request from James Ohlen - In-game events

StephenReid

Hello everyone! James Ohlen, Game Director for Star Wars: The Old Republic, is looking for your feedback on the game's development once again. This week, with the Rakghoul Plague finally contained, he's looking for feedback on in-game events.

James takes feedback directly via his Twitter account (@JamesOhlen), but if you're not on Twitter, his question is below and you can give your feedback here which will be passed on to him.

As always, we ask you to limit your feedback to the question at hand and keep your feedback constructive as well as on-topic!

Here is James' question for this week:

"The Rakghoul Plague was a very popular event. You’re going to see more surprises like it in the future.

I want to hear your thoughts on why you thought the Rakghoul plague was fun. Also, what kind of stuff would you like to see in the future?"

As a reminder, you can follow James on Twitter @JamesOhlen. You can also follow our main account @SWTOR.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loved it! Can't wait to see more events, maybe with less RNG on the boxes, and more things to earn based on time played, and not based on how lucky you get with those damn lucky boxes. Edited by Vahzl

A short some up:

Since there was no advance notice, some people missed it because of vacation.

The daily chaining (one new daily when you finish the one of the previous day) was kind-of disturbing to people who couldn't play every day.

The plague lasted through death, while the vaccine didn't, which in some points wasn't all that cool, especially with those who did not own a level 50. (High price for vaccine)

My guild is of opinion it could have lasted a bit longer.

Also, especially for those on pvp servers, more than one vendor for the unique currency would've been nice. Vendor camping like hell, I've seen and heard it. Although some interesting wars did develop in the dune sea...

Negative effect on warzones was slightly annoying -- when infected, it'd randomly break your stealth (when you normally would get "stunned", which was disabled in WZs apparantly)

I'd say, keep the events coming! Good work!

Edited by Sparxysparx

I definitely prefer known rewards over random rewards (boxes). Aside from that, it was a great event. Very creative, good reward system, and an exciting implementation :) Edited by Malachae
clarity

I myself loved having something else to do besides daily's and nothing beats going into a 16man hard mode EV and exploding on first boss when we stacked for missile salvo and because of the resulting stun from infecting them wiping on the boss. I don't think i have ever laughed so hard playing a video game. That is a memory that will always come to mind when i think of SWTOR just like back in WoW when my guild downed 25m lich king with only 3 people alive, me a frost dk, a holy priest and a holy paladin.

Absolutely loved it, and I hope we get to see more world events like this frequently in the future! The first day I spent the vast majority of my time out of Tatooine participating in the dailies and world boss kills, it was nice to have a fun reason to get away from the fleet for a change.

Edit to add: Only gripe would be having to rely on the random chance boxes to get a full set of the companion customizations. Spent hundreds of DNA on those things and still came up short 2 of the full set of 8, would have much rather just had the option to purchase them individually.

Edited by Jaisen-Naritus

Alright - next time I would like to see an infestation of wamp rats. Maybe they were bitten by rhakgouls and turned into RAT-ghouls...har har.

Players will be running around with wamp rats hanging off or maybe a big pack following them, incumbering their movement speed exponentially. Yeah, that's about the only thing I can think of that would be more annoying than vomiting every 2 minutes or randomly exploding.

It was good fun, though the companion boxes made me angry. Three openings in a row and I got the same customization. For the one class I don't have a character in. Would be nice if we could trade them, or if it was set so we didn't open the same thing three times in a row.

Minor complain based on how unlucky I am I know, but it still made me sad :(

For future events, I suggest either a Taun-Taun uprising on Hoth, or Womp-Rat Olympics on whatever planet you feel is best.

Loved it and am excited for more events, but hope they happen throughout the SW Universe as opposed to just a single planet.

I would also love to see more quests/dailies of varying difficulties (maybe not toughness of enemies, but other things that make it more difficult/time consuming) within events and for there to be meta-games within the event

I definitely prefer solid rewards over random rewards. Aside from that, it was a great event. Very creative, good reward system, and an exciting implementation :)

Agree

I liked the News announcement on fleet, it was kind of retro feel to it,was a great event.

Edited by CygnusMX

I loved the way that it unfolded. I logged in early Sunday morning close to the start of the event. I first noticed th kiosk pop up on fleet and after viewing the "news report" my immediate reaction was "YES! " I've played MMOs since UO was launched and I give you big kudos for how this went down. It brought a real sense of excitment and a feeling that it was an actual breaking news event. Players were reporting bits and piecess of information and like with any major news story, the internet was abuzz with both correct information and wild speculation. Well played. My only comment would be to keep the secrecy and scarity of official ingame info intact with future events. Figuring out what was happening had a real "fog of war" feeling. One improvement would be to leave the vendor up for a few days after the event. Edited by Owsley

In my opinion the event was too brief, but the SPAM to sell DNA was too much so I'm glad it's over...

Next time, maybe do a longer event but in a way it has less impact on the general chat... Maybe BOP intermediary items and BOE final items, I don't know...

The random companion customization was a downer too... That was the only thing I was looking for and I only got stuff to companions I don't even have yet... :(

I thought it was fun because it encouraged all players regardless of class, level or faction to go to tatooine, it also caused a lot more open world pvp in the wreck of the stardream which was fun.

In the future I would like to see some similar events but ones that don't involve rakghouls. Perhaps an ugnaught rampage or something cool, maybe create a space station just for the event and not have some sort of plague that spreads between players.

The best thing about the event was its randomness and lack of notice. It just sort've happened... and was left there for people to explore. I hope future events are also just as spontaneous and that they are not "canned" or "hyped-up" in advance.

The idea that it's possible for you to miss the whole thing entirely because you don't log in for two weeks adds balance to the game imo. Too much of swtor is scripted/instanced and random events that can pass you by give more of an existential feel to an otherwise scripted world.

In the future, maybe some sort of high-level NPC assault or sneak attack can happen on one planet requiring players to band together for a week to beat it back. Perhaps this threat could even come from beyond the outer rim (!!!) which would necessitate both Empire and Republic alike to temporarily put aside their quarrels and face a common enemy... This would create a conflict with something at stake for both sides (preventing a third faction from occupying a given planet and its friendly NPCs) while avoiding the widespread problem of faction imbalance.

Edited by _Hibbs

I thought it was fun because it encouraged all players regardless of class, level or faction to go to tatooine, it also caused a lot more open world pvp in the wreck of the stardream which was fun.

this all over :)

really appreciated just roaming tat getting some decent open world that didnt involve a zerg

kudos to bioware on this

it was VERY fun the frist day, it was fun second day, but then third day wasnt and fourth started to become tedious, on fifth it became a forced grind to finish the light armor set i will probably never use, but will hoard in bank.

The color crystal reward was awesome, the pet pretty cool, but the companion customization box was subpar.

Was pretty entertaining.

It had a Zombie apocalypse type feel, and as an avid zombie fan, I think that's part of what got me interested.

in A star wars sense I guess it was okay. I thought it was just kinda... scanning Jawa's, alright, get some sample... then... Rakhghouls flying outta Dewbacks. Alright. You're the boss.

I did like the World Bosses. Banding with people was entertaining. And I never do that.

I haven't liked Rakghouls since the original KotOR (no psuedo-zombies in my sci-fi, thanks). But I really enjoyed this event. It really seemed to increase the community involvement. Lots more people in fleet, lots more talking and lots more people out in the world doing stuff as opposed to isolated in FPs or Ops.

As for the future, some straight Republic vs Empire events might be cool. Say, the PvE oriented dailies as small invasions on Coruscant and Dromund Kaas. Then some more PvP oriented dailies on a higher-lvl "neutral" world. Voss maybe?

Honestly I didn't do a single Rhakghoul quest on any character. The rewards just didn't entice me at all and after about 3 days it was quite annoying listening to all the announcements about it on the fleet. Not to mention people thinking it's funny to come to an Ops with the plague and kill everyone mid-fight.

As for future events I played Asherons Call many many years ago and out of all the MMOs I've ever played that game had the best In-Game events. Most of them weren't static events but rather they would have a developer control a major villain of the game and wreck havoc on a portion of the world for awhile, all the while you had tons of people trying to kill him/it.

I understand that you may not have the technology built into the game yet to do something like this but it would be awesome to see it done in some fashion.

I understood about it the very last day, bought 23 DNA samples, was about to start doing dailies and then...my Internet disconnects. Makes me want to blow my head away... Other than that, I reallly did like the idea, and I wanted ze prizes. Eh...next time, hopefully. And please, give atleast a day or two notice.

I found the spontaneous nature of the event great and overall it was well done. I would have changed the stacking daily unlocks though, friends not having all the quests while I did kinda sucked. The worst part by far was the companion box randomness, I just wanted zombie Mako and after opening 20ish boxes and still not getting it I gave up. Random rewards does not make for fun.