New items for the Contraband vendor / changes to Contraband Slot Machine

killatroll

• Dev Post

I checked and any changes pertaining to Certificates are in the backlog, but not scheduled. Looking at the Roadmap for the next 90+ days, I don't see the priority getting raised enough to make it on the active list. I know that's not what you wanted to read, so apologies for being the bearer of bad news.

With respect to a Roadmap update, we're working on it and I'll post updates in a different thread sometime soon (so please don't ask about it here).

---Keith

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I checked and any changes pertaining to Certificates are in the backlog, but not scheduled. Looking at the Roadmap for the next 90+ days, I don't see the priority getting raised enough to make it on the active list. I know that's not what you wanted to read, so apologies for being the bearer of bad news.

With respect to a Roadmap update, we're working on it and I'll post updates in a different thread sometime soon (so please don't ask about it here).

---Keith

How long does changing a drop rate for an item already in the loot tables for the Slot Machine take?

How long does changing a drop rate for an item already in the loot tables for the Slot Machine take?

probably not a how long just more of not a priority it seems. Unless there is something else they have planned other then just changing the drop rate.

Edited by Nightblazer

probably not a how long just more of not a priority it seems. Unless there is something else they have planned other then just changing the drop rate.

I have to run the planning with our backlog list as well. It really isn't a question of how long does it take, but where it falls priority wise.

Think of each development cycle as being 100 points. Each item gets assigned a point value. A large item might be 300 points, so they decide to break that up across several cycles - so let's say it is 50 points each cycle for 6 of them. That leaves 50 points in current cycle. Then you have medium items 10-15 points and small items 3-5 points. So that 100 points can be spent pretty quickly. And they have that backlog and prioritize how these points are spent.

So while this change might only be 1-2 points, it just doesn't fit into the allotment and can't be worked on because the guy who may only spend an hour updating it (pure conjecture on that time) doesn't have a free hour to do so.

---Keith

Hey Keith, Thanks for getting back to us. It is unfortunate that this isn't a high priority, but its understandable. I look forward to hearing more news about this in the future on your road map!

EDIT: Keep up the great communication! :D

Edited by killatroll

I feel like this is an issue that already waited and finally came due, but the fix wasn't quite right.

It's a shame that it has to go to the back of the line instead of sticking with the task until it's really finished.

I'm disappointed, but I'll forget all about my disappointment if there are some good bug fixes in the roadmap.

Edited by Xina_LA

---Keith

Lame, thanks for assuring I stay away and let my sub lapse again (not that this is my only reason by any means). I have all this rep I earned with real money by supporting your game, but I can't buy anything from the vendors because I can't reliably get Cartel Certificates anymore. :mad:

My guess is not that long, but I think the fix they have in mind will not touch the slot machine. The last time they changed the slot machine, everyone got pissed off (for good reason), and I think they don't want to open that can of worms. They need to have a designer spend time to come up with a proper solution for a developer to implement and not band-aid the problem via the slot machine.

To fix it right, I can see that it will take a bit of work to do, and I totally see why it isn't priority. I don't like it, but I get it. If I was in Bioware's spot, I would probably make the same decision.

---Keith

I didn't think cartel market changes had a lot do with the roadmap at all? Do you personally have much say in the happenings of the cartel market?

I think a simple "change" that would make the cartel packs far more valuable and sought after is adding back in cartel market certificates, perhaps as a rare drop in place of a companion gift?

Any other changes beyond the cartel market for certificates could come later ( new reputation etc.) but many would be happy just getting this value back in the packs and looking at how few are being sold on the GTN lately and the insane pricing (40-50 mill a crate) I'm guessing sales are tanking on CM pack sales (but I guess only you at BWA would know this) so any help in sales you can get has got to be a good thing right?

My guess is not that long, but I think the fix they have in mind will not touch the slot machine. The last time they changed the slot machine, everyone got pissed off (for good reason), and I think they don't want to open that can of worms. They need to have a designer spend time to come up with a proper solution for a developer to implement and not band-aid the problem via the slot machine.

To fix it right, I can see that it will take a bit of work to do, and I totally see why it isn't priority. I don't like it, but I get it. If I was in Bioware's spot, I would probably make the same decision.

They come up with Band-Aids all the time. The current big red error message for the Cartel Market color crystals and tunings in legacy weapons is a band-aid until 5.4 when they hope to make it so pulling a crystal/tuning out of a legacy weapon and putting it back into something doesn't trigger a collections update ... thereby restoring the convenience of trading stuff via legacy weapons, but not subverting the monetized collection system in the process.

I'm not asking for the drop rate on Cartel Certificates from the Contraband Slot Machine to be a priority, I'm asking if it is low hanging fruit or not.

If yes, then I would follow up with, if it is low hanging fruit, could they toss us that band aid? Lots of people have public strongholds with slot machines in them, so its not like this only benefits the rare few who own these machines. All my strongholds are public and my NS and Tat have slot machines. I'm on Harbinger, come take a few spins! It's not like I get a cut of the take.

---Keith

Here is why this is an issue that needs more priority:

1) You released a new stronghold. Which means many players can and will be seeking additional decorations. Problem is.. one of the more desired sources for said decorations is the vendor on fleet that ONLY takes certificates.

2) Said certificates no longer drop from cartel packs (except when an old one comes off embargo for a short period of time.

3) Said certificates cannot be reliably earned from the Cartel Slot Machine..... because the studio nerfed the thing into the dust more then two years ago.

Honestly.... just go in and adjust the drop rate entry in the table for the Cartel Slot Machine for Cartel Certificates only, and most players will be happy. This surely is not resource intensive by any means to make this one simple adjustment. How do we know? Because you easily adjusted the drop rates on the Cartel Slot Machine in short notice back early in 3.x

This stonewalling and freezing players out of an access path for decorations on the fleet vendor that takes certificates is absurd. Especially when it is known from prior actions by the studio that you can, and did, tweak the drop rates on the Cartel Slot Machine in the past. Either remove the vendor and put those decorations on some other vendor OR fix the availability of the certificates.

I have no skin in this, as I have many certificates sitting in storage, but a lot of players do not and considering how badly the studio jerked the players around on the Cartel Slot Machine in 3.x..... you really do need to bump this up in priority and do something simple (cough... update loot table on CSM). It's a black eye the studio has had for multiple years now.

Edited by Andryah

You're absolutely right this is not what we want to read.

As has been said several times, the fixes are easy and don't require a lot of development. Adjust vendors or adjust drop rates.

The "I'll go talk to my manager and see what he says" thing is weak. Don't you have say in what's in development? I hope this doesn't go away because you and the devs don't have time for it.