Get rid of normal mode

get rid of this joke of a mode. Raids are not supposed to be normal..it just drops too much gear. Considering you can skip HM 4 mans and jump right into the normal is foolish. Keep hardmode and nightmare mode . why am i telling you common sense?

common sense? You mean nonsense.

This is just hapless elitism at its worst, devs.

Nope, we want normal mode to stay...in fact they could make it easier and just call it story mode. By putting in an easy easy mode it allows the "casual" to see the content and at the same time allows the devs 2 more modes to raise the difficulty level. Anyone who raids knows that normal mode doesnt even count as raiding....its jjust seeing the content.

I think renaming the difficulty settings story, normal and hard would make it a bit clearer what their intended level of difficulty is meant to be and ecourage the non-raiders to try the basic difficulty setting. It might also make it clearer that raiders really should be looking at the middle setting as the entry level difficulty.

Nope, we want normal mode to stay...in fact they could make it easier and just call it story mode. By putting in an easy easy mode it allows the "casual" to see the content and at the same time allows the devs 2 more modes to raise the difficulty level. Anyone who raids knows that normal mode doesnt even count as raiding....its jjust seeing the content.

Yea. Normal as a base level is fine. The point of the original post is geared towards loot rewards mostly, which I agree with pretty much because bioware have made a pretty poor choice in mixing up the tionese/columi/rakata stuff between difficulties in my view. I would rather not have difficulties, mostly because I like my MMOs to be a continuous 'world'. Some stuff easy some stuff hard.

But if your going to do difficulties... do it right. WOW when it implemented difficulties dithered over how it was supposed to be. Either normal was faceroll easy or it was genuinely difficult. Either way it either shut out either the middle tier of people skill wise or the people who are genuinely uncommital and couldnt hack the more tightly tuned normal modes. Having a normal mode thats literally laugh out loud faceroll sorts that.

Problem with it at the moment is the shuffled rewards are a bit silly and difficulty on the higher end is too low rather than normal mode itself.

Problem with it at the moment is the shuffled rewards are a bit silly and difficulty on the higher end is too low rather than normal mode itself.

Yeah, I do not understand why they designed the loot system the way they did between normal, hard, and nightmare. However, I think it just speaks to how undesigned and undertested end game is in this game. I expect complete overhauls in the game systems department, from operation loot, companions, crew skills, gear item mods, class balance...etc. Get ready for patch xx "holy crap" they changed everything patch.

Yeah, I do not understand why they designed the loot system the way they did between normal, hard, and nightmare. However, I think it just speaks to how undesigned and undertested end game is in this game. I expect complete overhauls in the game systems department, from operation loot, companions, crew skills, gear item mods, class balance...etc. Get ready for patch xx "holy crap" they changed everything patch.

Hope they do it when they rewire all the gear so its fully moddable. If your going to address imbalances in the reward systems makes sense to do it then when your making such a sweeping change to the items. At the moment the system is really out of whack.

Normal mode operations are fine. Their automatic loot assignment is not.

actually, i like it. No loot council, no rolls you find out later were mistakes and need GM help to fix, no jealpousy, arguments, elitism or favoritism.

This works fine. Dont change it.

actually, i like it. No loot council, no rolls you find out later were mistakes and need GM help to fix, no jealpousy, arguments, elitism or favoritism.

This works fine. Dont change it.

I'm guessing you pug raid (which is fine not knocking it) but for organized raid guilds it's a stupid mechanic. They are only there(normal mode) for a short time for gear progression; and I'm quite confident they have a better feel for what slots within the raid have a gearing priority.

Edited by BMBender

I'm guessing you pug raid (which is fine not knocking it) but for organized raid guilds it's a stupid mechanic. They are only there(normal mode) for a short time for gear progression and I'm quite confident they have a better feel for what slots within the raid have a gearing priority.

Kind of hate not even having the option to pass/trade to other people. Kind of hate doing normal mode in my runs with friends from other guilds and keep getting crap that other people could be using over me. Feel sorry that some people think they have to have a mechanic that smooves over 'jealousy' and 'elitism' (wow they must CHOOSE to play with fun people) but in my experience people complain about the sillyness of the current system far more than they ever would any percieved 'elitism' from other players.

Edited by silverprovidence

Kind of hate not even having the option to pass/trade to other people. Kind of hate doing normal mode in my runs with friends from other guilds and keep getting crap that other people could be using over me.

yea the not being able to pass is the most frustrating thing about it imo

Personally, i think normal mode should drop tionese gear. Same as HM4 should, just to give it some use. Then HM ops columi, NM ops rakata. Atm there is actually no reason to be hardcore about ops because its too easy. Normal should stay, but not drop columi. If you want to ops casual you should get casual gear for it.

Personally, i think normal mode should drop tionese gear. Same as HM4 should, just to give it some use. Then HM ops columi, NM ops rakata. Atm there is actually no reason to be hardcore about ops because its too easy. Normal should stay, but not drop columi. If you want to ops casual you should get casual gear for it.

yea I agree it gives out clumi raka to easy, but at this point it would be a mistake to change it, here is why. I can just picture now how many people will whine if they change the loot progression at this late date when probably (and I'm being conservative here) over 25% of a servers pop has at least some columi/rakata from EZ lewtz then all the sudden it gets fixed to a more intelligent loot table> you think the other 75% aint gonna get it's panties ina twist?

EDIT I think BW put themselvs in a catch 22 here, darned if they do darned if they don't. Might be better for them to just fix bugs in curent raid content and try to do better in future raid/gear tiering

Edited by BMBender

The only problem with HM flashpoints and normal mode operations is that they drop a varying quantity of Columi gear, making Tionese gear and difficulty levels in general obsolete.

Should get only Tionese gear from normal ops and HM flashpoints, Columi from hard-mode operations and Rakata from nightmare operations.

That would also make the endgame a little more challenging if imported into future tiers of raids just by not inflating peoples stats prematurely.

Right now it's a total cakewalk except for a couple of fights in 16-man nightmares.

Yet I don't have a problem with the existence of a "normal mode" per-se, just the mind-boggling amount of loot it gives for minimal effort, and making it too easy to overgear hard-mode encounters before you actually progress to them.

Agreed. I dont really see the logic behind the mixed up loot at the moment.

Hope they do it when they rewire all the gear so its fully moddable. If your going to address imbalances in the reward systems makes sense to do it then when your making such a sweeping change to the items. At the moment the system is really out of whack.

Except that they are right to be concerned about the issue of raid gear being fully moddable/strippable. The initial problem was that people could farm the first boss and kit themselves out with oranges using the modifications from whatever piece that boss dropped. Now they've layered the gear, so the first boss' drop isn't holding modifications as high quality as the later boss' drops. But with fully moddable gear, you could farm the last boss, strip the mods and have all your gear in level 60 mods (I'm guessing, I have no idea what the mods in the Rakata chestpiece are). This could lead to steeper gear inflation because now, instead of the Rakata gloves (which come with, say, level 56 modifications in it), the new tier of gear needs to be an upgrade over the modified Rakata gloves with level 60 modifications. I totally understand their hesitance to jump into a change like that.

The whole point of normal mode is for it to be pugged, I wish we could master loot it tho as we run them to gear out our new 50s.

But that's the point of the system. If you're pugging, the loot system of Normal protects people from a Master Looter scamming them out of drops. Yeah, it's frustrating, but at the speed with which the gear accumulates, it's really not a terrible problem. My casual guild raids 8-mans for three hours, one night a week. We've done three runs. We already have several folks who are in full Tionese/Columi. And as of this week, no-one has gotten passed over completely. I don't think that the system is as bad as it might seem when you're the guy in the slump.

After reading this thread I think Bioware should add casual mode where you just watch a youtube video of someone else fighting bosses and get mailed Columni gear.

Honestly that would probably be more difficult than normal mode anyways since you can just mash 1 key in normal mode while watching TV.

Except that they are right to be concerned about the issue of raid gear being fully moddable/strippable. The initial problem was that people could farm the first boss and kit themselves out with oranges using the modifications from whatever piece that boss dropped. Now they've layered the gear, so the first boss' drop isn't holding modifications as high quality as the later boss' drops. But with fully moddable gear, you could farm the last boss, strip the mods and have all your gear in level 60 mods (I'm guessing, I have no idea what the mods in the Rakata chestpiece are). This could lead to steeper gear inflation because now, instead of the Rakata gloves (which come with, say, level 56 modifications in it), the new tier of gear needs to be an upgrade over the modified Rakata gloves with level 60 modifications. I totally understand their hesitance to jump into a change like that.

I believe the change means they are still linked to certain slots. Eg you can only transfer mods/set bonuses from the raid chest to the non raid chest. Not the raid boots to the orange chest. So there will still be some limitations at least.

get rid of this joke of a mode. Raids are not supposed to be normal..it just drops too much gear. Considering you can skip HM 4 mans and jump right into the normal is foolish. Keep hardmode and nightmare mode . why am i telling you common sense?

Your welcome to do Nightmaremode if u like. Farming "Hardstuff" 24/7 is not for everyone. Just accept people are diffrent. Not everyone have the same taste as you du OP.

Normal mode is ment to be Pug:ed and for casual players that have a life with wife and kids and a Jobb.

That means bioware planned for Operations to be accessible for all who likes to start Raiding. Farming gear isnt everyone`s cup of tea.

Edited by Donnadarco