Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Smuggler or Shadow? (most rogue-like)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Shadow / Assassin
Smuggler or Shadow? (most rogue-like)

Stealthcore
12.14.2011 , 10:13 AM | #1
Sup swtor community. Didn't get a chance to play the beta and have been relying on pvp vids and torhead to compare. But honestly, most videos I saw were terrible players, not to mention since I'm not used to the UI, so I couldn't really follow the action as well as I hoped.

Anyway, I'm a high end rogue from wow, r13 in classic, glad rogue two seasons playing rmp as mut and shs. I just wanna get back in my comfort zone. Any insight from both a pve and preferably pvp perspective?
PvE like a mortal.
PvP like a god.

Strixs
12.14.2011 , 10:34 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Stealthcore View Post
Sup swtor community. Didn't get a chance to play the beta and have been relying on pvp vids and torhead to compare. But honestly, most videos I saw were terrible players, not to mention since I'm not used to the UI, so I couldn't really follow the action as well as I hoped.

Anyway, I'm a high end rogue from wow, r13 in classic, glad rogue two seasons playing rmp as mut and shs. I just wanna get back in my comfort zone. Any insight from both a pve and preferably pvp perspective?

Depends on what you like. Both are pretty rogue like.

Scoundrel / Shadow

Similarities

Stealth / Back Stabs / CC / Dmg from stealth. For doing max potential DPS both classes require up close and personal combat.

Differences

Scoundrel can be a healer, uses a single gun for shooting and a scatter gun which is like a short muzzled shotgun for burst and also has some ranged abilities but few in comparison to Trooper/sage/Gunslinger

Shadow can be a tank does have great agro, uses double bladed light saber.

Just going to have to ask yourself which story line is more entertaining. Being a jedi with a saber. or Being han solo with a shotty. Oh and yes for your alt in WoW do you prefer? Healing or Tanking? big question.

Qlarity
12.14.2011 , 10:55 AM | #3
What the guy above me said.
And Shadow will be more played obviously compared to Scoundrel.

Rahl_Windsong
12.14.2011 , 10:59 AM | #4
The smuggler class I played was Stealth and Healing, I found it to be a very fun class to play because a lot of the fights were too easy anyway and being a healer class made them a bit more difficult, especially because Bioware takes away scoundrel portable cover after level 10.

Most bosses in the game do not have cover in range of my gun, so I need to crouch like I am in cover to use over half of my abilities and yet I have to crouch where there is no cover.

TaishoD
12.14.2011 , 01:10 PM | #5
One thing that puts the smuggler closer to being rogue like over the shadow is in having a high damage dealing stealth opener (shoot first) at later levels. Closest thing to ambush, I think. The only opener that shadow has is spinning kick, which is more of a knockdown thing if I remember right.

Kryptorchid
12.14.2011 , 03:45 PM | #6
Scoundrel is way more Rogue like:

1. They have Stealth-based opener and stun.
2. They have Energy and Upper Hand (similar to Combo Points, though only stacks to 2 and it resides on the player instead of the target) resources for abilities.

Kitru
12.14.2011 , 04:16 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Kryptorchid View Post
Scoundrel is way more Rogue like:

1. They have Stealth-based opener and stun.
2. They have Energy and Upper Hand (similar to Combo Points, though only stacks to 2 and it resides on the player instead of the target) resources for abilities.
Shadows also don't count on constantly backstabbing their target. The only spec that has any use for Shadow Strike (the backstab) is Infiltration and, even then, it only uses it once every 10 seconds when a specific buff is active (and that is granted by your other attacks), so it's not even something you're going to open combat with.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

zacharySW
12.14.2011 , 08:34 PM | #8
All those those comparisons are true, but he is asking which PLAYS most like a rogue. A smuggler plays more like a rogue and will give you that feel.

They both do backstab and have stealth, but you might as well port over all of your WoW macros and ui for the smuggler.

Daning
12.14.2011 , 08:35 PM | #9
Smuggler is a lot more dependant on position than shadow.

I didn't bother to read all replies, just in case someone didn't mention it already ;p