Keith, Eric, Devs... Stop Jerking Us Around

damonskye

Yeah I guess that is why SWG is dead and buried, and SWTOR is still on life support...

Swg only died cause they agreed not to have 2 SW mmo's at once, Swg would've lasted alot longer, also Swg never became F2p at all during its lifespan of 8 1/2 years.

Only took a year for Swtor to become F2p.

Edited by Theeko

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think in general the feeling is that the game is in a bad place.

Now the particular reasons probably vary, lack of story, lack of solo content, only 3 opp bosses, Ranked Leaderboards being down, class balance, returning companions or all their friends and guildmates having gone elsewhere.

Until we see some change there appear to be 4 possible reasons.

1) They Don't know how bad things have gotten.

2) They know how bad things have gotten and don't care

3) They know how bad things have gotten and can't do anything about it.

4) They are working on a massive expansion for next month.

Now obviously number 4 is the best. Unfortunately no one believes it likely, its the optimistic hope that someone will come in and say we have this coming next month may keep people asking for better communication in the hope that communication will be good news.

While 2 and 3 make it a lost cause. Clearly these are the most likely options if there is no communication. I have seen nothing posted by the devs to even suggest they have anything but minimal interest in the state of the game. The only time I can think any feedback was asked for was what retired items do you want to be sold on the CM.

Which leaves 1. Perhaps not that dissimilar to 4 in that its hoping that things will turn around. Maybe if there are enough posts about the state of the game someone somewhere will take notice and ask what can be done to turn it around. Even unsolicited the forums are filled with advice, much of it is probably junk but a little logical thinking, looking at metrics and seeing what can be done. Even failing to go to the forum you go to your own team and say what is the issue. Why can we get so little content out. What is going on with the story, we have had an entire year of story and next to nothing appears to have progressed, what do the writers need, where is their time being spent.

So we post on the forums in the hope it will spark some reaction, or some action but more and more it seems like no one cares or can do anything about it.

Now the particular reasons probably vary, lack of story, lack of solo content, only 3 opp bosses, Ranked Leaderboards being down, class balance, returning companions or all their friends and guildmates having gone elsewhere.

Now obviously number 4 is the best. Unfortunately no one believes it likely, its the optimistic hope that someone will come in and say we have this coming next month may keep people asking for better communication in the hope that communication will be good news.

While 2 and 3 make it a lost cause. Clearly these are the most likely options if there is no communication. I have seen nothing posted by the devs to even suggest they have anything but minimal interest in the state of the game. The only time I can think any feedback was asked for was what retired items do you want to be sold on the CM.

Which leaves 1. Perhaps not that dissimilar to 4 in that its hoping that things will turn around. Maybe if there are enough posts about the state of the game someone somewhere will take notice and ask what can be done to turn it around. Even unsolicited the forums are filled with advice, much of it is probably junk but a little logical thinking, looking at metrics and seeing what can be done. Even failing to go to the forum you go to your own team and say what is the issue. Why can we get so little content out. What is going on with the story, we have had an entire year of story and next to nothing appears to have progressed, what do the writers need, where is their time being spent.

So we post on the forums in the hope it will spark some reaction, or some action but more and more it seems like no one cares or can do anything about it.

Well said.

I especially support the idea that even if they don't listen to what is being said here, the hope is that they are having those conversations:

"Why can we get so little content out? How can we do this better?"

"What is going on with the story? Why has it not progressed over the course of an entire year with any significance? How can we do this better?"

Just these two areas of concern being addressed by the developers in any way indicating that they recognize they are indeed issues would be step #1 - but it'd be a big step that reaped a lot of rewards in the form of continuing hope for those of us that really don't want to quit playing this game, but would rather see it flourish.

Well said.

I especially support the idea that even if they don't listen to what is being said here, the hope is that they are having those conversations:

"Why can we get so little content out? How can we do this better?"

"What is going on with the story? Why has it not progressed over the course of an entire year with any significance? How can we do this better?"

Just these two areas of concern being addressed by the developers in any way indicating that they recognize they are indeed issues would be step #1 - but it'd be a big step that reaped a lot of rewards in the form of continuing hope for those of us that really don't want to quit playing this game, but would rather see it flourish.

Agree, but such questions should have been asked long ago.

Better late than never?

Yeah,

Though what gets me is that almost a year ago we were told better communication, more transparent communication, hell the roadmap was part of that.

Instead it seems the roadmap is a running joke about how it only ever comes out at the end of the quarter its meant to be the roadmap for. Yet despite this there is a defense that you can tell how much the devs care. How can you go back on what you said, produce a roadmap that is a joke and be said to care.

The other 'defense' is that its all Ben's fault and it takes time to start new content rolling, when in the next breath the defense is given that they work 3 months into the future which is why they are working on roadmaps 2 months into the quarter its about. Only this would mean after 3 months of taking over all new content is on the new producer.

If the game doesn't go into maintenance mode or shut down and we get a new producer, who will come in and post something about better communication. Fortunately the bar seems to have been set so incredibly low, they will almost certainly be able to achieve that.

If my company was closed for six weeks we'd be out of business. It's January 9... time to stop giving them a wide berth for "holiday reasons".

Musco insinuated that the roadmap was a month or two off... meaning that other than this pittance we're getting on January 23, we honestly have no clue whatsoever what is going on with this game for the first quarter of the year.

You havent been able to log in since the last update?

Yeah,

Though what gets me is that almost a year ago we were told better communication, more transparent communication, hell the roadmap was part of that.

Have you ignored the communication theyve given us about upcoming content? I guess if someone doesnt whisper in your ear every second of the day, it can be considered poor communication, right?

Have you ignored the communication theyve given us about upcoming content? I guess if someone doesnt whisper in your ear every second of the day, it can be considered poor communication, right?

1 operation boss

3 companions that unfortunately only relate to 2 classes. so 75% of players aren't impacted here.

1 gamble box

Yep, I read it and absolutely consider that poor communication. How they can label that amount of content "5.7" does require explanation.

One of the best posts I've ever read. You covered everything I've been wondering.

Swg only died cause they agreed not to have 2 SW mmo's at once, Swg would've lasted alot longer, also Swg never became F2p at all during its lifespan of 8 1/2 years.

Only took a year for Swtor to become F2p.

Smed killed SWG, nobody else. He didn't even try to renegotiate the contract...and he was wise to do so! Your post is a shining example of just how short term our memories are. While it was alive, SWG was the cancer of MMO gaming...in death, it's an example of what every other MMO should strive for. Smed may have been an arrogant ******, but this was the best thing he ever did for his legacy.

Um, they ARE giving us more content. Just because it's not something YOU wanted, doesn't make it any less of what it is. He didn't detail the entire road map, just what's coming in a couple of weeks. Hold your damn horses and wait and see what comes after the 23rd. Maybe a week after that will be a new expansion, or the finale of the traitor arc, or whatever you wanted, blah blah blah.

It's players like you that make them push content out too fast and too sloppily just to appease people like you.

Give them some time to let us know what's down the line and don't be so impatient. IF you can do better or faster, start writing the script/code and email it to them. If not, just wait.

Good lord people today. No patience and always MEMEMEMEMEME!!! GIMMEGIMME! Arg.

100% agree with this. If you don't like the plans go play the other MMO thats just like this.. oh wait, there are none. You can fill your expansion pack time by bug testing Star Citizen. A game that will NEVER release and had over 260mil in sales #playersareawesome.

100% agree with this. If you don't like the plans go play the other MMO thats just like this.. oh wait, there are none. You can fill your expansion pack time by bug testing Star Citizen. A game that will NEVER release and had over 260mil in sales #playersareawesome.
And this is exactly the problem. This game would be a lot better if it had competition. And worse...this game doesn't have direct competition and still it keeps losing more players than it gains. The recent server merges attest to this. It's pretty sad that Bioware runs the only SW MMO in the world and still can't hold on to players. Edited by Tsillah

1 operation boss

3 companions that unfortunately only relate to 2 classes. so 75% of players aren't impacted here.

1 gamble box

Yep, I read it and absolutely consider that poor communication. How they can label that amount of content "5.7" does require explanation.

Fully agree.

It gets even worse, after a week Eric has acknowledge the leaderboard freeze and passed it onto the team. It took a week to notice the post and pass it onto the team. While any threads asking about the state of the game are completely ignored.

How can anyone consider that good communication. You may not have a problem with the lack of communication or the lack of content but to call it good would be preposterous. You also have to ask how much the people defending the game have supported it. With the lack of content, the proposed solution is to come back once every 2 years, play for a month then unsub and repeat if the game is still going in two years. So if that is the method of play the people supporting the level of content adopt then everyone is on the same page they just don't realize it.

If you only play for one month every 2 years then there will be sufficient content and there will no doubt be a fair few interesting dev posts. Okay interesting because while the roadmaps look back not forward they will be new to anyone who hasn't been around for 2 years. I just wonder if the game can survive on that sought of backing or will be able to entice people to come back every 2 years to try the new content.

And this is exactly the problem. This game would be a lot better if it had competition. And worse...this game doesn't have direct competition and still it keeps losing more players than it gains. The recent server merges attest to this. It's pretty sad that Bioware runs the only SW MMO in the world and still can't hold on to players.

^ This.

Under competent and appropriately funded management this game would be a license to print money.

It is the only Star Wars - arguably the biggest Intellectual Property on the planet - MMORPG out there.

If you can't make money out of a Star Wars game then something at senior management is going very, very wrong.

All The Best

^ This.

Under competent and appropriately funded management this game would be a license to print money.

It is the only Star Wars - arguably the biggest Intellectual Property on the planet - MMORPG out there.

If you can't make money out of a Star Wars game then something at senior management is going very, very wrong.

All The Best

I agree. There are few things in popular culture as popular today as Star Wars. Something that is more than a series of movies, books and merchandise. Its hard to turn on the TV now on any given day without some Star Wars reference slipping into topics of discussion. This is a great game which needs the investment it deserves to grow from a spark to burn brightly once again. There is massive potential to be exploited here and at times it feels like SW fans just need their own belief to be mirrored by the game owners for it to succeed.

^ This.

All The Best

I agree fully Spuds!

I agree. There are few things in popular culture as popular today as Star Wars. Something that is more than a series of movies, books and merchandise. Its hard to turn on the TV now on any given day without some Star Wars reference slipping into topics of discussion. This is a great game which needs the investment it deserves to grow from a spark to burn brightly once again. There is massive potential to be exploited here and at times it feels like SW fans just need their own belief to be mirrored by the game owners for it to succeed.

This isn't the first SW MMO. The other one created by a different game company did as "bad" or worse.

Looking at IPs and MMOs:

LOTR

D&D

Star Trek

DC

Marvel

The Matrix

All of these IPs should be "licenses to print money" but none of the MMOs attached to any of them are doing anything remotely special. Are all of them "crap" companies run by management that can't tie their own shoes? Or do we sorta have to acknowledge that making a great MMO is not easy or simple?

^ This.

All The Best

Well...EA did manage to ROYALLY F-UP Battle Front 2 :D

This isn't the first SW MMO. The other one created by a different game company did as "bad" or worse.

Looking at IPs and MMOs:

LOTR

D&D

Star Trek

DC

Marvel

The Matrix

All of these IPs should be "licenses to print money" but none of the MMOs attached to any of them are doing anything remotely special. Are all of them "crap" companies run by management that can't tie their own shoes? Or do we sorta have to acknowledge that making a great MMO is not easy or simple?

Whoa whoa whoa! Whoa I say! Take it easy on them. This is the interwebz; Logic has no power here.

Bioware is a business. SWTOR is a vehicle for profit. It is not a family member, religion or political organization. It does not benefit nor does it need defense....it absolutely REQUIRES constructive feedback.

This type of posting player is the lowest value player for the MMO IMO. First, they offer praise with little to no substance to that praise so that developers can get feedback that allows them to increase the playerbase and grow the game.

Second they more often than not insult those that actually offer feedback, constructive or not, and constantly push players to "move on to other games".

I would hope that most sensible minded players would completely ignore this type of player and their posts, and instead stick around and judge for themselves...strong emphasis on the former. I would rather you come here and complain instead of cancelling your sub....

Just my slant of course.

Edited by LordArtemis

Looking at IPs and MMOs:

LOTR

D&D

Star Trek

DC

Marvel

The Matrix

To be fair LOTRO is on maintenance mode for a long time and they managed to release an expansion, and a big one as such. Mordor. Its more than this game can say for 2 years, and now 3rd one incoming. Its not only about funding. Its about proper development and deicision making.

As far as the white knight not right in the head nonsense/suggestions to go to other games, I woudnt worry. Nobody would leave the game because some random will tell him to. They will leave if the game offers little to no content and incentive to stay.

Edited by ExarSun

Basically i only subbed because FFXIV's next patch wasent out untill late January and i needed something to waste my time...what beter than SWTOR? i left this game 5 years ago and have come back to basically just a few daily planets and some bootleg Kotor storylines, not to mention the buggy/laggy Operations that no new player can experience because "Story Modes" require you to study clear videos and have people guide you....thats not what "Story Mode" is Bioware/EA. SWTOR is the backburner of MMO's you come to to see a badly written and VO'd storyline when you have hit rock bottom and your other MMO's are developing real content for a new patch. Well that time is now and im going to a real MMO, one that gets multiple new raids/dungeons/story/openworld content every 3 months...not every 2 years. Icing on the cake is these new MMO's have better looking content and they run much smoother, enjoy Zero Engine Edited by Bejita

To be fair LOTRO is on maintenance mode for a long time and they managed to release an expansion, and a big one as such. Mordor. Its more than this game can say for 2 years, and now 3rd one incoming. Its not only about funding. Its about proper development and deicision making.

This. LOTRO is now run by Standing Stone Games, and marketed by Daybreak (known for underfunding and asset stripping games) and still LOTRO managed Mordor.

And to be fair, considering the age of the engine, and the direction Turbine were going in so SSG had to change tack, Mordor is a damned good expac, with a LOT of content.

All The Best

I suspect its not only LOTRO, but if I went for a long search,i'd very likely find a few games that are far from the pull of Star Wars IP, are understaffed like it is suggested here (but never proven) and manage to release more content than this game has for the last year. But because I have played LOTRO in the past, close friends still play it, I follow what happens there and I was amazed how the hell the devs there managed to put out a whole expansion with a very good amount of content and here....only managed to release a few scraps. Edited by ExarSun