Why do Anakin and Padme love each other?

JustTed

There doesn't seem to be any reason beyond they're both hot. They don't even have any reason to like each other.

I'm just picking this example, at random, to illustrate the categorical senselessness of the prequels, a judgement which I'm going to say is actually not an opinion. The prequels make no sense. Nothing any of the characters do is intelligible.

Until starting this game I had never met anyone willing to defend these clearly terrible films. You folks astound me. How can you square this circle in your minds?

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

did you just say you thought Anakin was hot?

weirdo ...

For a psycho no woman would touch with a ten foot pole, he's not bad. I'm more of an Obi-Wan kinda guy though.

I'm sorry, is that "weird"? Where do you live, Afghanistan?

Love tends to be an irrational thing, as the saying goes "love is blind" however the reasons are, when one understands human physchology actually pretty easy to understand.

For Anakin he literally fell in love with Padme at first sight, he's basicly been carrying a torch for her since he was 10 years old.

for Padme it's a little more complex but understandable.

first of all, if you listen closely to the dialogue Padme has been in poliitcs since she was like 11 or 12, her last relationship of any sort being when she was like 12. Now she's a big political figure, which means whenever a man pays her a compliment etc, chances are he's after something.

The along comes Anakin, a handsome young man she first met years ago, not intrested in getting political favors or anything, just intrested in her Padme the woman, this is likely to be a bit appealing to her.

For a psycho no woman would touch with a ten foot pole, he's not bad. I'm more of an Obi-Wan kinda guy though.

I'm sorry, is that "weird"? Where do you live, Afghanistan?

no but I served there... if I was from afghanistan tho I could maybe understand the Obi-wan thing.. ya know they love them beards over there

For Anakin he literally fell in love with Padme at first sight, he's basicly been carrying a torch for her since he was 10 years old.

Had this ever happened to you? To anyone you know?

first of all, if you listen closely to the dialogue Padme has been in poliitcs since she was like 11 or 12, her last relationship of any sort being when she was like 12. Now she's a big political figure, which means whenever a man pays her a compliment etc, chances are he's after something.

The along comes Anakin, a handsome young man she first met years ago, not intrested in getting political favors or anything, just intrested in her Padme the woman, this is likely to be a bit appealing to her.

...why?

You haven't said why Padme would like Anakin as a potential lover. What's likable about him? You can't point to traits he lacks, you have to tell me why she'd fall in love with him to begin with.

Until starting this game I had never met anyone willing to defend these clearly terrible films. You folks astound me.

Hey hey, don't generalize here ;)

When watching those movies (which isn't often) I cannot figure out why they like each other either (except that maybe Padme is the only girl Anakin ever has contact with? Or perhaps she reminds him of his mom for some reason?)

All Anakin seems to do is pay her awkward compliments or complain to her about his problems, and Padme spends most of their time together (in Ep 2) telling him she doesn't want to be with him, before finally giving up.

You could say that many more things happened between them off camera, but that's a big problem because we only get to see what is ON camera. If they actually has something in common, it should have been in the movie.

I blame this conundrum on the writing; the actors played their characters just fine, the problem was with the characters themselves.

she's dumb and hormonal?

Girls don't work like this. They're even less prone to work like this after you slaughter an entire village, women and kids included, then cry about it like a baby. Seriously, try it and tell me how much trim you're swimming in afterward. It'll be none.

Edited by JustTed

You were tired of complaining in the last thread about the re release of the prequels so you had to make your own weird topic to complain some more?

Oh, I'm not complaining. I'm genuinely baffled and I simply must know: how can anyone--anyone--square this circle in their heads?

You don't have to play if you don't want to.

Girl don't work like this. They're even less prone to work like this after you slaughter an entire village, women and kids included, then cry about it like a baby. Seriously, try it and tell me how much trim you're swimming in afterward. It'll be none.

meh... maybe her parent's hated him so she liked him? I've seen that and stranger reasons

There doesn't seem to be any reason beyond they're both hot. They don't even have any reason to like each other.

I'm just picking this example, at random, to illustrate the categorical senselessness of the prequels, a judgement which I'm going to say is actually not an opinion. The prequels make no sense. Nothing any of the characters do is intelligible.

Until starting this game I had never met anyone willing to defend these clearly terrible films. You folks astound me. How can you square this circle in your minds?

You think Anakin is hot. Ok that is just awkward.

Oh, I'm not complaining. I'm genuinely baffled and I simply must know: how can anyone--anyone--square this circle in their heads?

You don't have to play if you don't want to.

Except you are complaining about the prequels, you think they were bad so you go around the forums moaning about why they were bad and mask it with "being confused". Your not confused you just can't grasp that other people have different opinions then your own.

There's nothing wrong with the prequels that can't be mirrored by something equally as strange from the original trilogy, you just need to understand that a lot of people like them and no, not just "kiddies".

meh... maybe her parent's hated him so she liked him? I've seen that and stranger reasons

Another insufficient reason that, even if we buy, wasn't on the screen anyway.

Try again.

Or just give up and I'll spoil it for you: George Lucas is a terrible writer that knows nothing about women or human emotions. He fired all the people who did after the first trilogy.

Edited by JustTed

Incase you missed it, they did spend a lot of time together both on screen and most likely off screen. So its not that hard to imagine that they fell in love over time, they cared about one another.

If I have to imagine additional scenes to make your story make sense, you're a bad story teller and I'm in the middle of a bad story.

Show, don't tell. It's like Fiction Writing 101.

As it stands, based on what we get on screen, not only does she have absolutely no reason to love him, she had quite a few reasons to throw him into a Jedi asylum.

Girls can like jerks, yeah, but not psycho butchers who talk about fascism favorably.

Why do Anakin and Padme love each other?

Writer fiat.

They're too young to have seen the original trilogy first. Thus to them the prequels have always been part of Star Wars instead of being horrible, tacked on vehicles to sell more merch and stroke The Flanneled One's ego.

It's the same reason you see people defending how terribly WoW has mutated and mangled the story from Warcraft 2 & 3.

If I have to imagine additional scenes to make your story make sense, you're a bad story teller and I'm in the middle of a bad story.

Show, don't tell. It's like Fiction Writing 101.

As it stands, based on what we get on screen, not only does she have absolutely no reason to love him, she had quite a few reasons to throw him into a Jedi asylum.

Girls can like jerks, yeah, but not psycho butchers who talk about fascism favorably.

hmm then I wonder how Hitler ever got any action