Republic vs. Empire Storyline Compatability

cdstephen

Does anyone know if the storylines available to each faction are compatible with each other? Because they do different things on each planet, and as an exclusively Imperial player I'm not sure if they are compatible with each other.

As an example (spoilers ahead about Corellia):

Imperial players take over Corellia with Darth Decimus. I learned online though that Republic players kill Darth Decimus in their storyline. Does that mean the Republic storyline simply comes after? Or are these storylines incompatible?

Yeah; for some stories there's a clear order. For example; Balmorra has the Imperials kick the Republic in the teeth, but when the Republic arrives they turn the tide around. Balmorra was a low-level Imp planet for Act I, while it's an Act II planet for the Republic.

Tatooine, Nar Shadda, Alderaan, and Hoth seem to happen at roughly the same time, though, and probably some others too.

This makes sense then, Taris is an Act I planet for Republic but it is an Act II planet for the Empire. I was just wondering this myself as I would like to think that the Empire and Republic storylines happen in the same universe just at different chronological moments.

Has BioWare commented on this at all?

All class stories are supposed to fit together to some extent or another. Figuring out how they fit together is going to take a long time and a lot of fan debate.

Most of the world arcs fit together, but they don't all fit together perfectly as some of them have shared quests between the factions such as Tatooine, Hoth, Voss(sort of), and I think one other. Also I need another round of the Republic on Quesh before I can figure out how they fit together. Quesh either is incompatible between the factions or establishes a canon choice for the Imperial world arc.

Regarding Corellia:

In the last quest of the Republic world arc for Corellia, there is a line that talks about the Green Jedi not being able to back you up any further because their base is under attack. This seems most likely to be a reference to the finale of the Imperial world arc. So the world arcs are occuring at the same time. So basically the Imperial world arc wraps up and then Decimus gets slaughtered like 5 min later. This specific timeline is a little rushed, but they do fit together.

Edited by Ranadiel_Marius

All class stories are supposed to fit together to some extent or another. Figuring out how they fit together is going to take a long time and a lot of fan debate.

Most of the world arcs fit together, but they don't all fit together perfectly as some of them have shared quests between the factions such as Tatooine, Hoth, Voss(sort of), and I think one other. Also I need another round of the Republic on Quesh before I can figure out how they fit together. Quesh either is incompatible between the factions or establishes a canon choice for the Imperial world arc.

Regarding Corellia:

In the last quest of the Republic world arc for Corellia, there is a line that talks about the Green Jedi not being able to back you up any further because their base is under attack. This seems most likely to be a reference to the finale of the Imperial world arc. So the world arcs are occuring at the same time. So basically the Imperial world arc wraps up and then Decimus gets slaughtered like 5 min later. This specific timeline is a little rushed, but they do fit together.

That makes sense for the spoiler.

This would explain why the Imperial Guard leader is there and not Decimus when you begin the False Emperor Flashpoint on Ilum. So does the Republic take back Corellia then? Or just kill Decimus?

I know with Taris it is pretty explicit that the Imperials are steam rolling the Republic and by the end they, the Republic, are utterly crushed.

This makes sense then, Taris is an Act I planet for Republic but it is an Act II planet for the Empire. I was just wondering this myself as I would like to think that the Empire and Republic storylines happen in the same universe just at different chronological moments.

Has BioWare commented on this at all?

The game itself does pass time, its just kind of subtle about explaining this fact. Each Act happens at different times in the Galactic conflict.

Act 1 - Cold War.

Act 2 - Cold War returns to open conflict.

Act 3 - Everything goes to Hell more or less.

Like I said its kinda subtle but the game itself provides plenty of hints.

Imperial Balmorra has the Empire's major opponent being the Balmorran Resistance, rumours hint that the Republic is backing them but they don't have any major presence on the world that would affect the Treaty (And then spoilers pop in.).

Republic Balmorra has the Empire fighting a battle against Resistance forces backed by a now present Republic army. Bugtown has become the Republic staging area and formerly Imperial camps now sit in Resistance hands, showing that the war has begun again and the Treaty was tossed out the Senate window.

Act 3 and the Interlude both have things on the more intense side of things. The Empire's pushing for control of the Core Worlds while at the same time:

falling apart with the Emperor dead, Malgus forming a new Empire, and the Dark Council sinking into in-fighting.

There is a chronological order to the events in game. Finding out what that chronology is, is another matter entirely.

On the subject of the Corellian events. My bet is that the Empire stuff takes place before the Republic. Makes more sense that way.

This would explain why the Imperial Guard leader is there and not Decimus when you begin the False Emperor Flashpoint on Ilum. So does the Republic take back Corellia then? Or just kill Decimus?

I know with Taris it is pretty explicit that the Imperials are steam rolling the Republic and by the end they, the Republic, are utterly crushed.

Not exactly a perfect answer but:

Banter between two Republic NPC's on Ilum hint at the fact that the Republic won control over Corellia from the Empire.

Could be untrue, as I suppose you can take that banter multiple ways.

Yeah that would be a fantastic project to actually chronologically map out when each event is supposed to happen. I caught the subtle references to the changes of the political environment as I leveled as well. I liked it.

But it can be hard to miss if you are not paying attention. I will admit doing Taris first as Republic and then coming back as Empire threw me for a loop because I was like, wasn't this a Republic base...

But it makes more sense now since the stories take place at different times.

Republic ending has the planet re-entering the Republic with a big ceremony.

My personal view is that the only way that all the dialogue on both sides makes sense is if the governments on both sides are still standing at the end of the world arcs and each side thinks the other one will fall soon. I think the one backed by the Republic will outlast the other

Edited by Ranadiel_Marius

There is also a ceremony after Empire storyline on Corellia. With a new Prime Minister and all that. He even mails you some time after it that there are still some voices against the Empire but more or less everything else is fine.

And what about Voss?

There is also a ceremony after Empire storyline on Corellia. With a new Prime Minister and all that. He even mails you some time after it that there are still some voices against the Empire but more or less everything else is fine.

And what about Voss?

The Republic ceremony has to take place after the Empire one because Darth Decimus runs the Imperial ceremony....and the Republic ceremony is basically done ontop of his corpse.

I really should review all the dialogue with Voss as there are two possible ways it could work. Either the Republic and Empire are dealing with different people in the Voss and both sides give their opinion to the Three with no real winner determined based on the advice(and I think I worded that poorly) or alternatively the canon version is that both sides do the quests and report back the light sided answer taking Voss out of the equation of the war.

Only real problem with Voss is the Gormak King becasue both sides are supposed to have a quest to take him down, but if we assume that both sides do the post-Gormak King Quests(which is possible because they fight different avatars) then it really doesn't matter who takes the King down as long as he is taken down.

Regarding Corellia it is more likely than not that it's returned to Republic hands given Darth Decimus' fate and the fact that 3 Dark Council Members as well as Thanaton Vowraan and Baras and their power bases are taken out of the equation on Corellia (Vowraan excepted though he's no longer with his power base). However the victory is likely pyhrric as:

- The balance of power on Corellia seemed to partially hinge on the Imperial Fleet which accompanied the SI - send it back and it'll revert back to form

- The senior members of Republic sympathising companies are dead or capture by the Empire. Given that Corellia makes huge swathes of the Republic fleet this, along with the planetary devastation is likely to be very damaging.

The Republic ceremony has to take place after the Empire one because Darth Decimus runs the Imperial ceremony....and the Republic ceremony is basically done ontop of his corpse.

I really should review all the dialogue with Voss as there are two possible ways it could work. Either the Republic and Empire are dealing with different people in the Voss and both sides give their opinion to the Three with no real winner determined based on the advice(and I think I worded that poorly) or alternatively the canon version is that both sides do the quests and report back the light sided answer taking Voss out of the equation of the war.

Only real problem with Voss is the Gormak King becasue both sides are supposed to have a quest to take him down, but if we assume that both sides do the post-Gormak King Quests(which is possible because they fight different avatars) then it really doesn't matter who takes the King down as long as he is taken down.

My smuggler on Voss discovered the Gormak and the Voss are actually remnants of the same people, so that their war is, in fact, a civil conflict. She takes this truth to the Three, who are taken aback by the information. But eventually all of them agree that my smuggler is actually "the outsider" prophesized to bring about the end of the fight. In this case, she did so by insisting after the truth.

In the end, there is NO treaty with either the Republic or Imperials, as the Voss determine they must strive for peace with their Gormak "brothers", a process they determine will require generations. The Republic ambassador is disappointed but agrees that while it's sad their will be no new allies for the Republic "at least the Empire will not gain an alliance, either".

My smuggler on Voss discovered the Gormak and the Voss are actually remnants of the same people, so that their war is, in fact, a civil conflict. She takes this truth to the Three, who are taken aback by the information. But eventually all of them agree that my smuggler is actually "the outsider" prophesized to bring about the end of the fight. In this case, she did so by insisting after the truth.

In the end, there is NO treaty with either the Republic or Imperials, as the Voss determine they must strive for peace with their Gormak "brothers", a process they determine will require generations. The Republic ambassador is disappointed but agrees that while it's sad their will be no new allies for the Republic "at least the Empire will not gain an alliance, either".

My Agent also learned that Voss and Gormak are same people but he kept it for himself. He said that the Gormak are Gormak because of the Jedi (which was also true).

The Voss stopped talking with the Republic after that.

That is the light side decision in the world arc I was talking about in the post you quoted. Both sides have a morality choice there, and the easiest way to reconcile everything on Voss is to have both sides take the light side option.

I do agree that the storylines make it seem like a pretty clean Republic victory. However, in the 1.1 questline leading up to the Rakghoul flashpoint, the Imperial NPCs talk about how they

won Corellia and the Republic is on the ropes.

Are future content patches going to ignore the opposite faction storyline as well?

Let alone the mess with

Alderaan, where both sides take out Ulgo. One of those has to be non-canon.

Edited by raelimar

I do agree that the storylines make it seem like a pretty clean Republic victory. However, in the 1.1 questline leading up to the Rakghoul flashpoint, the Imperial NPCs talk about how they

won Corellia and the Republic is on the ropes.

Dialogue like tyhat is why I am inclined to believe that the "canon" resolution to Corelia is that there are two governments claiming legitimacy on the planet. Propaganda from both sides is painting it as a victory for their side, but the truth is a bit more complicated. And at the moment the winner probably isn't too important as the fight has devestated the majority of the gains to be had from owning the planet.

Are future content patches going to ignore the opposite faction storyline as well?

Let alone the mess with

Alderaan, where both sides take out Ulgo. One of those has to be non-canon.

This is actually probably a good time to mention something I have been thinking about for a while now. I don't think in canon any of the 8 classes are the ones who complete the world arcs.

I first started considering this when I realized several of the Empire side endings have to occur before the Corellia world arc finishes or very very soon after. Then when I was playing through my SW, I came accross a couple of quests on Hoth which overlapped with Republic quests.

One of the Hoth world quests had a Republic character taking the dark side option for the Republic equivilent when my char walked in. That is when it hit me, in canon the world arcs and most side quests are done by people other than the PCs. PCs just do them in the game in order to tie them closer to the war.

Now how does this facot back in with Alderaan? If we assume the Ulgo assault consisted solely of NPCs and no PCs and we assume that all side quests are canon and accomplished in the samr fashion, we have our answer to what happened to Ulgo. The Organa and Republic forces made the first move to attack Ulgo, but they were intercepted during their assault by Thul and Imperial forces(there is a side quest for this on the Imperial side). This then puts Thul in a position to be the ones to capture Ulgo.

Act 3 and the Interlude both have things on the more intense side of things. The Empire's pushing for control of the Core Worlds while at the same time:

falling apart with the Emperor dead, Malgus forming a new Empire, and the Dark Council sinking into in-fighting.

This is only partially true because

The Emperor is actually not dead.

The Sith Warrior quest revolves around becoming the Emperor's Wrath (which is the position Scourge had), leading up to the encounter in the Dark Council room where the Council acknowledges you, the Sith Warrior, as the Wrath.

Shortly after you complete that quest, you get a mail from a member of the Emperor's Hand (servants). He basically says that the Emperor is out of commision because the Jedi attacked the true Voice of the Emperor, basically a person possessed with the mind and spirit of the Emperor, and killed the Voice. This in turn caused the Emperor a major blow and now he's forced to rest up.

It is, however, stressed that he's alive and they never killed the emperor's true form, and I'm fairly sure the second mail sometime later from said member of the Hand says he's recovering well.

Edited by Yuanrang

My Agent also learned that Voss and Gormak are same people but he kept it for himself. He said that the Gormak are Gormak because of the Jedi (which was also true).

The Voss stopped talking with the Republic after that.

Hahaha i ruined the jedis reputation, you monster making... monsters :p

That is the light side decision in the world arc I was talking about in the post you quoted. Both sides have a morality choice there, and the easiest way to reconcile everything on Voss is to have both sides take the light side option.

Actually the easiest way to reconcile it is:

Both sides took the dark side option.

It's difficult to imagine the Sith not wanting to shove any Republic blundering, real or imagined into the Republic's face. Given that the Republic are, out of desperation, retaliation or even truth (In Exhibit A we have the Rakghoul, in Exhibit B we have the Voss), liable to do the same, the end result is a lot of accusations being thrown into the air and nothing much being done.

The end result?

Nothing changes. The Voss facepalm at the seemingly wild accusations being thrown left right and centre. The Gornak still knock on their door and the emissaries on both sides are still left on the porch currying favour.

Actually the easiest way to reconcile it is:

Both sides took the dark side option.

It's difficult to imagine the Sith not wanting to shove any Republic blundering, real or imagined into the Republic's face. Given that the Republic are, out of desperation, retaliation or even truth (In Exhibit A we have the Rakghoul, in Exhibit B we have the Voss), liable to do the same, the end result is a lot of accusations being thrown into the air and nothing much being done.

The end result?

Nothing changes. The Voss facepalm at the seemingly wild accusations being thrown left right and centre. The Gornak still knock on their door and the emissaries on both sides are still left on the porch currying favour.

One big problem with that. Taking the dark side option results in the planet being doomed to destruction sometime in the near future by the big evil planet destroying thing living there. Problem is that we know Voss is around 3000+ years from now.

Good point. However,

By that logic Tython should be well and truly cleansed. It's explained away as being lost due to shifting hyperspace routes which sort of makes sense given that it was only very recently rediscovered by Satele. Not that that necessarily matters because

Voss isn't actually confirmed to be around 3000+ years later. SWTOR is the first and only appearance of Voss, a planet specifically created for the series. Given that, the portents are grim for Voss' long term future:

- It will be destroyed and erased from history.

- It will be written about countlessly in hackfic.

Neither sounds good for the planet

Incorrect. Voss was first mentioned in relation to Harme Kiela's mother being a wealthy industrialist there. Harme Kiela is a character from the New Republic Era.

When they were deciding on planets for SWTOR they chose Voss because it was a planet from canon that had been given few details about it, so they could have an existing planet to fully flesh out.

So we know that Voss is still around in the New Republic Era, meaning Ske-Mor has not destroyed it.