Driving Thrust - HM Raptus

Anyone know what causes him to do ridiculously high damage with his "Driving Thrust" ability to tanks? It seems random that sometimes he will hit Driving Thrust on the tank for ~30k which is pretty crazy because it often kills the tank. Does this happen because if you are too far away from Raptus, then he leaps to you? Do you *need* the tanking crystal at all times when tanking him to avoid getting almost 1-shot by his driving thrust? Any insight would be awesome as this seems to be the only thing that gives our group trouble on this fight. He seems to do it right after we come out of the portals or during the last phase (phase 3). Edited by Bunions

Had some difficulty finding the log since Raptus is counted as a regular fight in torparse.

Yes I got hit by Driving Thrust for 31360 damage on my assassin, other times I shielded or defended (I don't think that I force shrouded it so it's probably a melee attack). He seems to do it in his rotation and after challenges.

Do your tanks have 40-45k health yet? And do they use cooldowns after challenges especially now that it's advisable to use two tanks inside the tanking one due to increased damage since I think only assassins can safely solo that and come out with enough health to taunt if the other tank gets low, with force shroud and stealth + heal to full.

Anyway, from what I gather from my logs he does it after challenges and either below 50% or below 30%. Got hit by 3 driving thrusts during the 100-50% and 6 driving thrusts under 30% on boss health. I'm not sure if my co-tank got hit by driving thrust during 50-30%, will ask him.

Edited by Panzerfire

Anyone know what causes him to do ridiculously high damage with his "Driving Thrust" ability to tanks? It seems random that sometimes he will hit Driving Thrust on the tank for ~30k which is pretty crazy because it often kills the tank. Does this happen because if you are too far away from Raptus, then he leaps to you? Do you *need* the tanking crystal at all times when tanking him to avoid getting almost 1-shot by his driving thrust? Any insight would be awesome as this seems to be the only thing that gives our group trouble on this fight. He seems to do it right after we come out of the portals or during the last phase (phase 3).

Driving trust is a f/t e/k attack (it could be shrouded) and as far as i remember kbn did find out that raptus uses it, when the current tank is standing too far away from raptus (especially after the tanking challenges).

Edited by THoK-Zeus

Driving trust is a f/t e/k attack (it could be shrouded) and as far as i remember kbn did find out that raptus uses it, when the current tank is standing too far away from raptus (especially after the tanking challenges).

I know for a fact that he has also done it while I was standing still right next to him for an extended period of time and then he smacked me for 31k with Driving Thrust. Is this ability in place to perhaps discourage a tank from kiting the boss around the room to take less damage? If this is the case, it seems buggy because he does this attack in circumstances that seem impossible to avoid. Another example: He started casting Force execution, I moved just to the outside of the circle and got hit by that purple beam. Right after he was done casting, he hit me with a 31k Driving thrust to finish me off. The only thing I know for certain is that I did not have the tanking crystal when he would hit me this hard, so it might be that the crystal is required to make this attack manageable. And yes I have 41k HP but I am very rarely at 100% HP when he does this attack on me.

Edited by Bunions

I'm going to have to back up on this. I did it last night and he did Driving Thrust several times with me standing right next to him (including one time that killed me). It seemed like a fairly predictable interval though. Right after Force Execution seems very common, and also very shortly after the third phase starts (this pair of situations is part of why I thought it was a distance thing). Note that the damage is slightly delayed by the animation, so if you're REALLY on the ball, you can watch the boss and Shroud just as he's doing the attack. I'm going to FRAPS my next kill and see if I can be more precise about this. Given the damage levels, it would be totally worthwhile.

Incidentally, the damage levels are high, but they are manageable. My group lost the very first DPS who was challenged (his Spinning Attack seems to be activating faster than last week), and so we failed both of the DPS challenges and buffed his damage by 20% (yay!). Still cleared it, but it definitely sucked hard. I ended up dying twice, once from Rising Slash and once from Driving Thrust, though the last time was fairly late in the fight so we were able to zerg it down with only one tank (and by that point, also only one healer).

• 7 months later...