Healing For noobs? Guide anywhere?

VeganHipster

I am new to MMOs, SWTOR is my first. I am a sorcerer right now and I really love the playstyle but I want to get into healing. The thing is, I don't know how to be good at it. I don't want to join flashpoints, try to heal, and end up messing up the whole mission. I did that on hammer station and I got flamed :o lol. I am just wondering if there is a guide anywhere for healing sorcs for beginners.

I have tried practicing during my questing. I would use static barrier and spam dark infusion. Is that basically what a healer does during flashpoints and such? When I played hammer station there were a ton of guys coming at me and I could not heal others because I was too focused healing my self and trying to get mobs off of me.

What I am mainly wondering is what all these terms mean and when/how to use skills at certain times. I also want to know how to heal during PvP.

When I asked my guild these questions, the usual response i got was 'heal heal heal heal'. Am I making everything too complicated for my self? Is it really that simple?

Edited by VeganHipster

In an FP or raid, your main goal is to keep the tank alive, then yourself, then others. When im healing (depending on what level you are and if a Sorcerer is needed) I will first dot the main target and then check for heals, and repeat...

Edit: and stay back out of the way, sometimes you can't.

Edited by Dyasis

In an FP or raid, your main goal is to keep the tank alive, then yourself, then others. When im healing (depending on what level you are and if a Sorcerer is needed) I will first dot the main target and then check for heals, and repeat...

What DoTs does the sorc get? I am a level 23 right now to give you an idea to what skills I have access to. Sorry if there is an obvious answer, i just really want to get better at this game because I love the solo aspect of the story, dialogue, and space battles and want to experience everything else too. Thanks so much for the quick reply! :)

always keep stasis barried on the main tank and yourself if you're taking damage. always refresh the statis barrier on the tank when it wears off. Also put stassis barrier on the tank a few seconds before they engage so that it wears off earlier in the fight so you can cast again without delay.

always stand about 20-30m away from the tank so that you can give time for them to pick up any lost agro on the targets. use whirlwind to CC any lose adds.

use the quick heal on non tank players unless they've pulled agro and are taking big hits. If your tank falls to 50% hp or is constantly getting hit for 25% of their life bar in one hit then use big heals on MT.

Watch out for any aoes on the ground. dont waste force dpsing if its a hard fight that is healing intensive.

Make sure to make use of your other CCs like electrocute and overload to get adds off you or group members.

use consumption in cases of emergency to get force back & then use a med kit to get the life lost back.

use reckleness for your big heal only for those "oh crap" moments where a boss hits really hard and you're almost out of force but have enough for 2 big heals.

Edited by OsirisZoran

always keep stasis barried on the main tank and yourself if you're taking damage. always refresh the statis barrier on the tank when it wears off. Also put stassis barrier on the tank a few seconds before they engage so that it wears off earlier in the fight so you can cast again without delay.

always stand about 20-30m away from the tank so that you can give time for them to pick up any lost agro on the targets. use whirlwind to CC any lose adds.

use the quick heal on non tank players unless they've pulled agro and are taking big hits. If your tank falls to 50% hp or is constantly getting hit for 25% of their life bar in one hit then use big heals on MT.

Watch out for any aoes on the ground. dont waste force dpsing if its a hard fight that is healing intensive.

Make sure to make use of your other CCs like electrocute and overload to get adds off you or group members.

use consumption in cases of emergency to get force back & then use a med kit to get the life lost back.

use reckleness for your big heal only for those "oh crap" moments where a boss hits really hard and you're almost out of force but have enough for 2 big heals.

This.

I don't want to join flashpoints, try to heal, and end up messing up the whole mission. I did that on hammer station and I got flamed :o lol.

If it was DPS that died it normally there fault. Already I have people that go all out on damage and pull aggro from the tank. As it was said in a previous reply, heal the tank and you, DPS can wait. If the tank dies you will most likely die, if you die, the group will wipe. And I would recommend telling the group that you are a new healer and learning the game, most people will slow down and be more accommodating to you if they aren't just leave. Without a tank and healer you really can't do much and most people that flame are the dps because they died.

I would take the points out of Dark Resilience and Fadeout and put them into Dark Mending and Force surge. Force surge seems like it should be a better talent than Dark Resilience while Fadeout seems like more of a PVP talent that will not be as useful in Flashpoints. Dark Infusion seems to be the most Force efficient heal ,at least at low levels, so a talent to cut the casting time is nice.

I am lv 21 atm and recently respecced. I decided to go with the Lightning talents you have first and then focus on the Corruption tree. The overall increase in Force efficiency seems like it will be a big boost.

Your Heal over time (HoT) spells eventually combine to becomes really great. Buff the tank while healing, and it buffs your next healing spell.

And if you crit with innervate, you get free force.

And the buff to innervate from your other dot is a crit boost.

At around level 30, my usual rotation goes.

Bubble

HoT

bubble everyone until the tank needs heal

bust out innervate

HoT

(appropriate strength heal)

Dark heal someone, someone always takes damage

rebubble

HoT

(appropriate strength heal)

You know what, I'm just going to dps for a bit.

rebubble

etc