Tanking...Need More Threat?

Noesis

I'm a level 18 Jedi Guardian and I'm having a bit of an issue with aggro/threat. Most of my threat seems to be from damage, not threat moves (i.e. taunts). Force Sweep (aoe dmg) has a pretty long cd and challenging call (which I don't get to 30) is 45 seconds. Hilt Strike is also 1 minute. Most of the skill points seem to be about mitigation, not increased threat generation. Rebuke would be nice, but that's Sentinel.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

Most of your threat is Supposed to come from your damage skills. Thats what the tanking form (Soresu Form) does, it increases the threat those abilities do. Your taunts are there for emergencies not regular use, when something is attacking the healer or someone DPSed to hard and pulled aggro from the boss.

hit each mob a few times then switch to another to maintain threat

Edited by Basiliscus

i think the problem tanks are having is the WOW syndrome..

dmg type players dont let the MT generate enough threat ...hence the reason they peel ..

and MT has to chase and taunt..constantly...

You posted this over an hour ago already...It's partially this but it's also that it's more like Warrior tanking than Paladin or Druid tanking. You need to be constantly switching targets and keeping aggro on them all since you don't have AoE threat.

i think the problem tanks are having is the WOW syndrome..

dmg type players dont let the MT generate enough threat ...hence the reason they peel ..

and MT has to chase and taunt..constantly...

I have found this to be very true, there seem to be a large number of people who ...

A) cant read party chat and / or follow a kill order

> that seems to be the biggest problem

B) think tanks pull full permanent agro in 1 ability

> thus they go full out dps immediately, back when WoW was good, that was a good way to get yoursef killed.

C) think it is the tank's fault if they die

> Its not the Healer's either.

> If you are attacking other than my target & you pull agro and die, you dps fail.

D) are just poor players in general

>If this is your first MMO: FOLLOW DIRECTIONS

> If you don't know the encounter: ASK FOR THEN FOLLOW DIRECTIONS

That all being said, I'm a 28 Jugg (non-defensive build) I can tank and hold group agro just fine on the majority of pulls. It's that one standing way far away that i can't reach with slam that causes problems. This is usually fixed via a taunt + force scream as often as possible.

Im also noticing a lot of tanks don't want to do the target switch dance, I like that ae agro is harder to hold, it makes it easier to see who the better tanks are. I really hope they do not follow the example of another game and make tanking stupid mode.

Yeah, I target switch dance a lot. And I use taunt when people get a little to dps happy.

My only other tanking experience has been Rift, where it was all AOE threat moves or passive threat moves. I could literally hit a couple buttons then go afk for the rest of the fight.

Thus far, I have to constantly run from mob to mob, poke them a few times, rinse and repeat, etc.

And yes I use guard. I've put guard a few times on the mega dps, but that's kind of a last ditch option.

Maybe this is just what tanking in SWTOR is? Very active etc.

I'm not complaining, it is what it is. I'm just wondering if it changes at some mystical level down the line.

Do Vanguards have the same issue?

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

Cheers.

You posted this over an hour ago already...It's partially this but it's also that it's more like Warrior tanking than Paladin or Druid tanking. You need to be constantly switching targets and keeping aggro on them all since you don't have AoE threat.

If your switching targets as a pally or druid, then your doing it wrong. Mangle maul swipe thrash, win.

Shield throw, hammer, consecrate. Win.