Hacking

ReyCielo

After watching a few players in matches and knowing the capabilities of these ships it is apparent that there are some exploits or hacks being used in GSF. I've seen several players have no cooldown on their secondary missile locks and that their required lockon time is far shorter than usual. Is anyone else seeing these kinds of things?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After watching a few players in matches and knowing the capabilities of these ships it is apparent that there are some exploits or hacks being used in GSF. I've seen several players have no cooldown on their secondary missile locks and that their required lockon time is far shorter than usual. Is anyone else seeing these kinds of things?

No cool down & fast lock on time, hmmmm...what could that be?

Let's look at my lowbie...

Cluster Missiles Lock on time = 1.3 sec. with a reload time of 2.8 seconds.

Nope, that can't be it. How about...

Rocket Pods Lockon time = 0 sec. & no reload time.

Bingo!

No cool down & fast lock on time, hmmmm...what could that be?

Let's look at my lowbie...

Cluster Missiles Lock on time = 1.3 sec. with a reload time of 2.8 seconds.

Nope, that can't be it. How about...

Rocket Pods Lockon time = 0 sec. & no reload time.

Bingo!

Can't be rocket pods if its not the rocket pod animation.

The only questionable thing I have seen (and I still don't dare to call it a hack) are people getting very convenient "lag" as soon as they get under fire, and then miraculously losing when the danger is over.

That is the 1% I have seen true. There have been reports of people "Intentionally" lagging themselves at key times. But those players very quickly been banned.

More likely this is just 2 people locking in a row, and the OP wasn't aware of the second attacker.

Alternately, a lag issue, as missiles are server authoritative and show lag issues more than usual (on the plus side, that is done specifically to make it very hard to hack and cheat).

More likely this is just 2 people locking in a row, and the OP wasn't aware of the second attacker.

Excellent point, and indeed true. Heck, it could be 3 people. I've had instances like that where I was thinking someone had the world's fastest cooldown time, then quickly discovered that there were 3 enemies within 4k of me and there was no one on my team anywhere nearby. So what seemed like someone hacking was really me just being outnumbered.

I think there are likely *some* people doing hacking but honestly a lot of times its just something like more enemies than you realized, someone with poor internet connection, or in some cases just someone that is really, really good at GSF and makes it look like hacking when in reality they're just darn good at the game.

• 1 year later...

I'd suggest to report it (possibly with screenshoots/movies) asap. Hope that you did it already.

And yes, GSF in my opinionis prone to hacks and exploits (I reported one myself :) )- the only thing that defended us against is relatively small player base. But this didn't last forever.

The only questionable thing I have seen (and I still don't dare to call it a hack) are people getting very convenient "lag" as soon as they get under fire, and then miraculously losing when the danger is over.

This. Although there have been times where I mysteriously died within 1 second when I had full health / shields as a bomber with upgraded hulls and shields while using regen, THAT was a bit shady.

I'd suggest to report it (possibly with screenshoots/movies) asap. Hope that you did it already.

And yes, GSF in my opinionis prone to hacks and exploits (I reported one myself :) )- the only thing that defended us against is relatively small player base. But this didn't last forever.

Exactly, I have been recording all my matches now ever since I caught someone in a warzone that was a sage using force lightning , scamper, and invis.

The other answer is usually 'This guy has a better connection than you."

I've had Willie make "half-second" lock times on me over and over with clusters, when it was my connection's fault. The only way to really fix that one is to move next door to the server so TCP netcode + a really busy switch won't delay important info like "I've been hit, MOVE!" or "Missile lock, MOVE!"

I've also protorped a guy "behind something": the client had figured the guy was behind something, but the server didn't. Then there's the loss of missile lock on the guy dead center on your screen. I've "shot people through walls", too: try taking a few shots where your target is just barely blocked off by a wall. And, there's the "railgun at >15km"-lag monster again, try taking a few of these shots where someone's boosting away from you, and you will sometimes literally see a hit when your target is "just outside" of range.

The obvious exception I've seen to this rule is when someone gets a bomber or a gunship inside the pub cruiser near sat B in Exosphere and starts slugging people/dropping rail sentries which take cheap shots at everyone.. That's not so much a hack as an exploit of a bug, and once that's set up, there's no counter.

I don't believe in any of the other hacks but I do believe in the lag one. I've seen bombers with horrible lag fly from the capital ship all the way across Denon Exosphere lagging just to get to the satellite and suddenly stabilize for enough time to shoot 3 defensive turrets sneak under the satellite and start lagging again. Also, these same players seem to lag out in open space where they're more vulnerable but once they're in good cover or about to open fire on someone from behind they stabilize suddenly. It's a little suspicious to me that players can almost control their lag at opportune times. I've watched the same guy do it over and over, if I were lagging that bad, that consistently, I'd deem the game unplayable and yet here he comes lagging away. It's almost comical because in close his lagging technique makes it very hard to target but at range all his lagging still stays in your reticle so he's an easy protorp kill.

Seeker Mines and Rocket-Drones don't have a warning sound before they engange.

Clusters and Intervention missiles have very short lockon times.

Also, in a heated up fight it's very likely being targeted and locked on by more than one person.

I once got accused of hacking because of "flying backwards". Apparently not everyone knows about Retros.

Edit: After posting I realized this is a necro...

Edited by Danalon