Please rework the Ranked Rating System

TheUnderThunder

Hi everyone,

I'd like to share my opinion on the actual rating system and how much it needs to be reworked for season 12.

What bothers me and always did have is the fact that winning an arena gives you LESS rating than when you're losing one. (typically you win 9 elo, you lose 15).

This doesn't make any sense at all and is one of the major issues that makes climbing next to impossible (giving that wintraders and throwers and whatnot are plaguing SR) it's frustrating and this needs to be adressed in the next update.

You have, let's say for example, 1400 rating. You win one arena and it took you everything you had, you did your best as much as your teammates. You earn 9 to 12 pts depending on who you're facing. (I'm not sure about that)

Now the next arena, you end up having people in your team having no clue about what's going on and what to do. They are new, therefore their rating is low. You still did your best but you lose this arena because they lack DPS or HPS or your Tank doesn't guardswap at all. You lose 15 to 20 pts.

Depending on the RNG and your luck, you either lose or win the next, but you'll still end up having less rating than when you started.

Tell me where is the logic in this system? It's a non-rewarding, counter productive, time consumming and unnecessary punishing system. You should actually win MORE rating than you should lose!

I bet this system is one of the main reasons that gave birth to Wintraders, Throwers, Decliners etc.

Please consider reworking the rating system, to make it a bit more rewarding.

You can take other MMORPGs that have ranked PvP arenas and are thriving for example.

(Sorry for the bad english, it's not my primary language.)

Edited by TheUnderThunder

They reworjed on matchmaking and they made things a lot worse, sometimes not touching is the best. I agree too many things needs rework but tbh SWTOR dev teams aproach is ridicilous. They dont spend enough time when designing and spend even less time implementing and spend no time testing and combination of these 3 ends up being abomination. And worse part is they dont even accept their mistakes and try to fix the abomination. This is not the company that values good user experience.

What did they rework exactly? How will it be worse than it is already?

Tbh, I'm not gonna play this game any longer in its actual state. S11 will most likely be my last season.

Team Ranked is dead, Solo Ranked is filled with toxic players, everyone wintrades for everyone, leaderboards is no longer legit, everyone is leaving this game... I've been trying to climb my way to gold on my own since S8, and I always got screwed by these kind of players and the rating system.

I'm done trying my best for absolutely nothing. It's just a pure waste of time.

If only the rating was based purely on people's skills and not simply RNG God's will...

in order to facilitate pops and even teams, the higher elo players are going to be matched up with lower ones so that the overall elo is relatively similar between teams.

this is important for faster pops and for smaller populations. both of which are serious issues, at least on the NA servers.

there were other changes as well regarding how teams were put together to alleviate the burden of being highest or 2nd highest elo every time, but I forget exactly how that was changed.

the end result is the same though: the population of players in the SR pool is just too small to consistently create matches of evenly skilled players. it's just impossible when there's only 8-10 players in the queue. they'd all have to be close in skill level, and they rarely ever are -- in my experience. and you have to supersede skill considerations with role considerations. and then there's the problem of class stacking, which the matchmaker wholly ignores.

Edited by foxmob

My issue is that I am not familiar with other games and do not know the systems for ranked games in other games. Well, I played WoT in the phone app, but I think the system was very similar to swtor. The only difference I have seen was that ranked matches were not available at certain times, like late night/early morning.

Anyway the system in swtor is good, but the issue is the population. The system takes into account that only high skilled players take part in it and it provides very good competition. However, due to the low population taking part in ranked this is not the case. Also adding to that are wintraders, throwers etc. So overall the system would be good if the population was good, so we cant really blame the system.

Its also logical for the system to put together high elo players and low elo players as its taking into account that the match will be balanced this way. The problem is that the low elo people are mostly really bad players and this causes a loss for the high elo player who indeed loses maybe 20 elo and only gains like 9 elo for a win. It is complicate, but the system only does what its able to do with the provided players in que.

The only real change the Devs can do is monitor the wintrading much more intesively (which is happening right now) and maybe make ranked harder for entry, like increasing valor requirement or even some PVP stats needed (like 1000 warzones played etc).

My issue is that I am not familiar with other games and do not know the systems for ranked games in other games. Well, I played WoT in the phone app, but I think the system was very similar to swtor. The only difference I have seen was that ranked matches were not available at certain times, like late night/early morning.

Anyway the system in swtor is good, but the issue is the population. The system takes into account that only high skilled players take part in it and it provides very good competition. However, due to the low population taking part in ranked this is not the case. Also adding to that are wintraders, throwers etc. So overall the system would be good if the population was good, so we cant really blame the system.

Its also logical for the system to put together high elo players and low elo players as its taking into account that the match will be balanced this way. The problem is that the low elo people are mostly really bad players and this causes a loss for the high elo player who indeed loses maybe 20 elo and only gains like 9 elo for a win. It is complicate, but the system only does what its able to do with the provided players in que.

The only real change the Devs can do is monitor the wintrading much more intesively (which is happening right now) and maybe make ranked harder for entry, like increasing valor requirement or even some PVP stats needed (like 1000 warzones played etc).

Excuse-me but the system does not put high and low elo players together systematically, on the contrary it tends more to put HIGH elo players together AGAINST low elo players. That right here is a fact and an other issue, but that's not exactly what I was complaining about in the first place.

My biggest complaint - and those preview issues we talked about are meaningless compared to this - is that you lose more elo than you actually earn. This is just plain stupid mechanic. And that's making climbing a superhuman effort for everyone because the only factor that primes over skill here is RNG.

This is why 80 to 90% of the game's Ranked PvP player base has been cheating since S1 in order to make their climbing easier. But NOTHING is wrong with the actual system you're absolutely right...

It's driving me mad because I love this game so much, I've invested so much of my free time in it, but in the other hand it is the most, frustrating, game, I've ever played, in my life.

Excuse-me but the system does not put high and low elo players together systematically, on the contrary it tends more to put HIGH elo players together AGAINST low elo players. That right here is a fact and an other issue

That is wrong. For example when a 4 DPS vs. 4 DPS match starts it will pair up players with similar ELO and put them against each other. Very often you see something like: 1500, 1300, 950, 900 vs. 1500, 1300, 950, 900.

Now high ELO players have a high chance to get backfilled when people leave before the timer starts. So let’s say in the above example there is a 1650 ELO Player waiting on fleet, meanwhile the 900 ELO player leaves the match early (lets say because he got trashtalked) and the 1650 player gets the backfill. Now it looks like high elo players get together, because 1650 and 1500 are together in one team and YOU (lets say you‘re the 1300 player in the other team) have to carry 2 bads. This is where the system fails. It doesn’t fail at matchmaking in the first place.

Snip.

I’m pretty sure most of, if not all, the time a player accepts a pop but then quits as soon as they load into the arena the game won’t backfill despite people being in queue. I think the only feasible time a backfill would happen is if someone doesn’t accept the pop or it runs out. At least that’s only my experience over many games of ranked.

Edited by UltraFlashStar

That is wrong. For example when a 4 DPS vs. 4 DPS match starts it will pair up players with similar ELO and put them against each other. Very often you see something like: 1500, 1300, 950, 900 vs. 1500, 1300, 950, 900.

Now high ELO players have a high chance to get backfilled when people leave before the timer starts. So let’s say in the above example there is a 1650 ELO Player waiting on fleet, meanwhile the 900 ELO player leaves the match early (lets say because he got trashtalked) and the 1650 player gets the backfill. Now it looks like high elo players get together, because 1650 and 1500 are together in one team and YOU (lets say you‘re the 1300 player in the other team) have to carry 2 bads. This is where the system fails. It doesn’t fail at matchmaking in the first place.

I have one screen to prove you I'm right that high elo players get sorted together against low elo's.

I got countless games like this, getting top 3s in my team against random players. This one for example

shows you the significant rating difference between the two teams.

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2019/34/2/1566302225-captureeee2.png

Yuugi here is 1435, Suriqa is 1656, Xemirrauder is around 1300 and so is the healer.

VS

E'sme who is 1135, Vizik 1207, Xemior 1008 and Fîraksîan 1087.

That scenario happens more often than you think. You basically know your team will win before it starts.

Tell me the machmaking isn't broken now.

I have one screen to prove you I'm right that high elo players get sorted together against low elo's.

I got countless games like this, getting top 3s in my team against random players. This one for example

shows you the significant rating difference between the two teams.

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2019/34/2/1566302225-captureeee2.png

Yuugi here is 1435, Suriqa is 1656, Xemirrauder is around 1300 and so is the healer.

VS

E'sme who is 1135, Vizik 1207, Xemior 1008 and Fîraksîan 1087.

That scenario happens more often than you think. You basically know your team will win before it starts.

Tell me the machmaking isn't broken now.

That kinda looks like a group ranked match. I really do not believe such a match would happen.

Even if, the tank and healer and fixed, if they are the only 2 healers/tanks in que they will be matched against eachother, no matter what the rating. So the issue is just the dps.

Lastly this match, if real, is a clear sign of wintrading btw.

Edited by merovejec

Said this before...ELO system does not work for Solo Ranked, too many ways to exploit and manipulate the queue. Your rating is a measure of luck and/or covert guile.

The ELO system should be scrapped from Solo Ranked in lieu of something more sensible.

As for matchmaking, the current system is horrendous compared to the previous one (which everyone complained about). Everytime BW update the matchmaking system, they make it worse. Be wary of asking for more changes!

As for matchmaking, the current system is horrendous compared to the previous one (which everyone complained about). Everytime BW update the matchmaking system, they make it worse. Be wary of asking for more changes!

Incorrect. The current matchmaking system is much better than the previous matchmaking system. The old one frequently stacked teams in favor of high rated players. The current one tries to make the fairest matches possible. As others have pointed out, it's just a population problem at this point.

Edited by JediMasterAlex

Incorrect. The current matchmaking system is much better than the previous matchmaking system. The old one frequently stacked teams in favor of high rated players. The current one tries to make the fairest matches possible. As others have pointed out, it's just a population problem at this point.

Yea, hopefully 6.0 can fix that

As others have pointed out, it's just a population problem at this point.

Yes, this is indeed the problem, if you had a big pool of players in the que the matches would look differently. Since there is not much to chose from you get matches like the OP mentiones and also it makes wintrading/sync que very easy as its enough to have 3 people and they can help 1 player.

What are you talking about ? This is a SR match, I should know I was the masked out healer.
Are you sure your healer's rating / play was so bad that both tank and DPS were high rated to balance the game? :D

On a more serious note, removing ranked would just kill whatever little remains of the PVP scene. I know I'd just quit the game for good over it.