Starting off as a Healer

Phraq

How bad of an idea is it to start off as a healer in this game, I am a returning player (want to finally experience endgame here) as much as I keep reading to start as DPS, I end up switching classes because it just doesn't do it for me. Also which healer would be good to start with.

Thanks

Edited by Phraq

The main problem is that the majority of "story" content isn't demanding enough for you to *need* to heal companions, so you don't get to practice healing while you're levelling up.

^ this is true.

I have levelled up as heals, all 3 specs, since I find that's the best way for me to learn your abilities and how the interact with each other.

For a solo-learning experience you need to do heroics on level (that is try to be about the same level as the enemies you're fighting) to get any chance to actually use your healing. Set your companion to dps and try to keep them and yourself alive.

Once you hit level 50 or so you should have almost all your abilities and the guides for your class will make a lot more sense when you read them. That lets you know what you need to change. You can also try walking into a veteran mode flashpoint solo with a companion, but I suggest waiting until you're max level before doing that.

If you have patient friends then you can do vet flashpoints with them and start testing out your heals. You can also try pugging flashpoints, but it's only the trash mobs on vet that you can test out your skills with since pugs tend to be obsessive kolto clickers.

How bad of an idea is it to start off as a healer in this game, I am a returning player (want to finally experience endgame here) as much as I keep reading to start as DPS, I end up switching classes because it just doesn't do it for me. Also which healer would be good to start with.

Thanks

If you like healing, and particularly if you've done it in other games, level as a healer. I did it as a tank, granted a long time ago before the content was changed to be easily done with any group comp.

My two cents, play what you want and will enjoy most. Besides, as a tank we always need more healers in this game ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Im leveling my Jedi Shadow as a tank right now. It's fine to complete everything as. I have my Operative as a Healer and just finished Dromand Kaas. It was fine because things still die so quickly but I think I might just go back to DPS and then go healer later.

I really wish changing disciplines would let you save your hotbars (like other mmos that have similar systems) so I can be a healer and have all my heals on my primary keys and then swap to DPS and have my DPS spells there without having to manually move them around.

I think if im going from DPS 1 to DPS 2 then it wouldn't be so bad but role changing is more complicated. I really hope this is one of those QoLs they are talking about implementing.

I really wish changing disciplines would let you save your hotbars (like other mmos that have similar systems) so I can be a healer and have all my heals on my primary keys and then swap to DPS and have my DPS spells there without having to manually move them around.

I always made an alt for every spec so that toon was set with it's hot bars permanently. That meant I had a lot of alts, though.