Another Challenger Enters the Fray

EricMusco

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dev Post

Hello, everyone!

I’m Jackie, and I’m incredibly excited to be here! Over the next few weeks, I’ll be going through the forums, building an understanding of the community, and getting to know all of you! I’m very much looking forward to interacting with everyone and being a bridge between this community and the dev team. Building up and nurturing that relationship will remain a top priority for me.

Fun fact! I love reading about community members’ sentimental experiences that mean a lot to them. Tell me about some of the best moments you’ve experienced in game or within the community. I'll be reading all of them!

See you in the forums!

Jackie

Hello Jackie!

Nice to meet you and welcome to the SWtor community! I wish you'll have a great time here with us!

One of the best moments with the community was the March of the Walkers: here you can find some screenshots:

https://imgur.com/a/oZIEB

https://i.redd.it/ubh3ji2hv81y.jpg

also, when the community reunited to pay respect to Carrie Fisher:

It was a sad, but really sentimental moment for all of us.

Changing topic, would you like to tell us something about you? Games you play, things you like, hobbies , ...?

Hello, everyone!

I’m Jackie, and I’m incredibly excited to be here! Over the next few weeks, I’ll be going through the forums, building an understanding of the community, and getting to know all of you! I’m very much looking forward to interacting with everyone and being a bridge between this community and the dev team. Building up and nurturing that relationship will remain a top priority for me.

Fun fact! I love reading about community members’ sentimental experiences that mean a lot to them. Tell me about some of the best moments you’ve experienced in game or within the community. I'll be reading all of them!

See you in the forums!

Jackie

Edited by Matt-ITA

Welcome Jackie! As far as the best moments I've experienced, finishing my class story for the first time, doing operations with my guilds and finishing some of the expansions, especially Knights of the Eternal Throne, are on the top for me. Edited by FlameYOL

Welcome! Most community managers have tended to neglect the pvp forums (for generally understandable reasons), but there's still some valuable feedback there.

Even if there's no guarantee that anything will happen, people are usually heartened to see replies from Bioware, even simple ones like "we understand your concerns. I've passed them on to the proper devs," etc. It at least gives the impression that our feedback is being taken seriously, which in turn will lead to higher quality feedback when people have faith Bioware is paying at least some attention to them. When there are no Bioware posts for months on end, many people don't feel as if it's even worth bothering posting anything.

Edited by JediMasterAlex

Hello, everyone!

See you in the forums!

Jackie

Welcome to the forums, they are in serious need of attention, you've got your work cut out ;)

Honestly it's the story moments that always get me. Learning what Valkorian did to Vaylin on Nathema, Kira's confession that she was born a Sith, and her experiences with the refugees on Nar Shadaa, Arcann saving Senya from Vaylin's blade. Rescuing the Dead-Eyes with Aric Jorgun... The story is king to me.

Welcome to the team and to the community! ^_^

I think I have too many wonderful memories to share, so I'll just say that building communities in this game, running a guild, and all of the RP stories that have grown from the world established in this game have been absolutely wonderful. :)

Hello, everyone!

Hi, JackieKo.

Welcome.

I started as a Republic only Player. I was young, i was bad, and had no idea, what i was doing, because SWTOR is my first MMO. (And only one til today.). I didn't know what gearing means, and was constantly underleveled and undergeared. I remember fighting for my life, every single trash group. On Balmorra i had to invade the Imperial Base. And it took me so long, and it was so hard to get in there, because stuff just refused to die. :)

My most beloved moment in the game was, when i played my first imperial character, after month of playing only republicans. As a Sith Sorcerer I reached Balmorra, left my starship and walked the first time out of the building. Just to see, this is the very Imperial Base i had so much trouble to get into, as a Republic Trooper. From then on, every planet i discovered had this experience. That i really was on the other side. All the places i knew, but totally different, because i changed factions.

So much fun to discover the world.

Edited by SoontirMorillo

My positive memories have appeared on other threads on this subject, including:

Kind of a toss-up for me:

On Tython with my very first Consular - my very first SWTOR character, in fact - gathering the parts and trekking up into the mountains to make my lightsabre. It had such an epic feel to it.

On Alderaan, my one and only world PvP kill, when my level 32 Commando (this was before 3.0, so no disciplines) entered the Glarus valley on the south side, and trekked all the way down to the far end, near the Panteer castle, and crossed the bridges there. As she reached the last one and took on the Ulgo bridge guards, a level 29 red-name Sith of some sort decided to start making life difficult, so I switched from beating on the guards to beating on him instead. Then I ran away in case he had friends in the area.

To this day I worry that he might have been trying to help this nooby Pub soldier kill the guards, and I killed him for it.

My very first Destroying The Star Fortress mission, where I knew nothing about what was going to happen after the EPHEMERIS room and consequently died a lot, but beat the Exarch anyway. It was one-player H2 Voss...

On a weird allod inside her own head, my Gunslinger defeated Vaylin without Lord Dramath helping.

One of those, probably, although there's a host of other things close behind.

and

Oh, yeah, and one other moment that I should have mentioned up above.

Background: (The later part is in a spoiler box because it's a bit of a downer, but it helps understand what went on in the game.)

So, I started playing in March 2013, and eventually settled on my second character, Kylath, eventually Gunnery Commando, as a main. She tooled round the class story, took down a red-name Sith player on Alderaan (see above), shouted for guild help on Voss because she was underlevel and undergeared for the big fight in front of the spoilerish object, and so on. She answered the calls to go to Ilum and then to Makeb and then to Oricon (but never did the ops...), and then the big call from Theron for the Revan story. And she romanced Theron all the way to the end of that story, and did the horizontal folk dance with him as well.

Now the downer:

This brings us to some time in 2014, and at the end of the year, my wife fell ill because of a kidney cancer that eventually - mid-July 2015 - got the better of her. I had kept old friends up to date with the news, and a couple of weeks after the funeral, I went to Paris for the day (it's a one-hour train ride on the TGV from where I live) to have lunch with one of them. This friend is an artist that I met when I worked in London - we were in the same jujitsu club - and she eventually ended up in Paris. Her father had been diagnosed with a cancer of some kind, from which he had recovered, but it disrupted her life enough that she gave up her old life, broke off a long term "straight" relationship, and went on her own journey through dark places. She emerged from that living in Paris with a female partner instead of a male one. That was unexpected, and she sounded as if it had surprised her, too, but she seems to be happy with it, so OK.

Right, now the moment.

So when KotFE came out, I used my insta-60 token to do a dry run (and messed up the Chapter IX conversation). That character then sat for a long while, but in the meantime, Kylath did it as well. My schema, based on her previous existence, was to resume her romance with Theron.

But...

She got to a weird machine by a pool of fresh water in the Endless Swamp, and stood talking to Lana Beniko. And that wheel came up which offered a [Flirt] choice. You all know the one. And I looked at it, and I looked at Lana's face and the way it was lit by the campfire, and something "popped" in my head. (Remember, I had already seen this scene on the insta-60, but he was a guy.)

That carefully thought-out plan to relight the romance with Theron died right there, tossed on the campfire I suppose. Like my friend's life had been disrupted by her father's cancer diagnosis, Kylath's life was disrupted by the five years in carbonite, and that led her to the change she made.

So that scene on that character was a high point because, well, because it helped me get some parts of my emotional storm to settle down.

and

I suppose I should probably also mention the time I went with my guild to do Explosive Conflict. We reached the two hovertank bosses.

It seemed to begin OK. There was an adequate explanation of what to do when, and it all seemed to progress nicely.

Well, except that we failed the DPS check, and they enraged with about 5% health remaining on each one.

Seven of eight party members died messily and rapidly, all except Kylath. I decided that there was no way a pair of jumped up overblown hovertanks were going to get the best of me ("Not ... here. Not ... like ... this."?), so I gritted my teeth and held on. I popped my reflect-o-bubble, my adrenaline booster, my self-heals, and dished out everything I could dish out, and all of a sudden there was only one tank left, and cheers from my team-mates ringing in my ears.

So I continued. Not stopping now, thanks. And I dished it out again and bubbled and adrenalined and self-healed and suddenly Kylath was standing between two piles of wreckage, with seven corpses scattered around. And of course the cheering over Discord was deafening.

Good times.

Hello, everyone!

See you in the forums!

Jackie

Welcome to SWTOR community

Welcome Jackie to the Fam!

Most memorable moment in game was meeting the love of my life and my three best friends. At our wedding, the large group in the back consisted of a few of our guildies. We even held an engagement and wedding party on our guildship. We included a pic of our main toons on Rishi (cuddling under the waterfall) on our wedding website.

SWTOR was my first "real" MMO and even though its not my only; it will always be the largest one in my heart.

Hope your transition goes smoothly. Dont let these guys push you around and just know that our love for this game runs deep which is why we are incredibly passionate in our concerns/complaints/critiques.

If you want somewhere to start... check out the crafting posts.

:rak_03:

Welcome to the team! Hope the forums gets some love, a lot of the sticked resources/guides are outdated and lots of the categories and subsections are in need of some serious cleanup.

One good example of this -

The CLASS forums, under Guardian/Juggernaut, the top post relates to a guide for game version 3.0 and was made sticky in 2014. The guide it was for has long since been removed. The last meaningful post is from 2015, though there are a couple from last year just asking why it's still stickied.

Welcome JackieKo^^

I am now co-running the guild that I got ninja invited to 3 years ago.

I have my own made up backstories for all my characters, my main character called Kara is a Jaman (half-Human/half-Jawa) Sith Lord, and she is the star of the SWTOR videos I make for friends & guildmembers. I even made a whole documentary about her earlier this year called "Jaman: A SWTOR Documentary" (it's on youtube :jawa_biggrin: ).

I'm spending my days crossing off achievements and looking forward to the new content coming very soon.

Welcome to the community, Jackie!

I'm glad to see things are picking up enough to bring in new team members, and hope you find your niche' here as the others have!

As for best moments, I'd have to say, among my favorites, some of my old guildmates and I had teamed up, and simply had managed to put together a solid group that complimented each other perfectly, so we were dominating non-ranked PvP so badly one night that a bunch of ranked players accused us of hacking! They just couldn't comprehend that they could be beaten by non-ranked players so badly, never considering that, maybe, while we are great at PvP, we prefer not to enter the toxic environment of ranked. Though, admittedly, I was taught extensively how to PvP by one of the top ranked players on Starforge. We had some great laughs over that one, though.

Here's wishing you Happy Holidays and all the best in your endeavors as part of the team!

Welcome!

The best moment i remember was 9 years ago looking up this game on Dec. 23rd, realizing it had just launched. As we had just finished moving into our current house, i decided to give myself a treat and subbed. This was my 1st MMO so like others mentioned didn't know anything. Anyway that best moment was taking my 1st Jedi Sentinel over the hill after beating The Gnarls and seeing the Temple for the 1st time.

Welcome!

My best memories from the game would be playing KOTFE and KOTET for the first time with my Sith Warrior. It was around this time of the year a few years ago. I loved every moment of that story (even though being forced to kill Valkorion at the end was sad because he was such a great character and my Warrior had already been betrayed too many times... but yet at the same time it was the perfect ending to both of their stories).

Another good memory is playing the game with my friend and our Jedis jumping to the Sarrlac Pit together to get the achievement. Fun times.

Hello, everyone!

Fun fact! I love reading about community members’ sentimental experiences that mean a lot to them. Tell me about some of the best moments you’ve experienced in-game or within the community. I'll be reading all of them!

See you in the forums!

Jackie

Welcome!

Could you possibly explain a bit better what you will be doing? I am sure this post was probably rushed.

"Building a bridge between the community and the dev team." This sounds amazing, honestly. Does this mean more frequent streams with maybe devs included? Or questionnaires on Reddit for the devs? Or even here on the forums? I am sure there will be toxicity everywhere, given the chance someone will do it. But, there's definitely a lot of good questions to be asked and things to be mentioned.

I'm personally just a PvPer, but I rather enjoy this game over anything else I have played and I am pretty passionate about it. There have been many issues I have reported in the past that actually have been fixed, most recently was PT/VG leap not working correctly. After mentioning why it wasn't working correctly on stream multiple times it suddenly got fixed next patch. (Issue being that root was applied after you leap, meaning someone could go out of range and the ability would not work. Warrior and knights leap roots first before the leap goes off, mostly preventing this failure.) Surely, it wasn't just me but there are tons of people giving feedback that can help a ton to make the game better!

I hope that you dive into the PvP side of things also, the current biggest Delima for PvPer's currently is a legacy lockout.

What this means is if you queue up for a warzone, 8v8 or 4v4, including ranked, and if you disconnect your entire account suffers a 15minute lockout. While I agree this punishment for ranked is fine, I do not however agree for regular warzones. Not to mention if you were to backfill in a regular warzone you are not able to leave without getting slapped with the same penalty, nearly every backfill is a loss. There are some cases it was a disconnect backfill and it's winnable, but it's usually not the case.

This robs tons of time from players and matchmaking doesn't make it better. Even since the new matchmaking was created we've had tons of problems with games not being balanced. The way it's supposed to work is 1 team gets a healer, other team also gets one. Sadly, it's not always the case and sometimes those healers don't even heal anyone. So, oftentimes people feel like they're stuck in a hopeless match and just AFK, yep that's right people are AFKing in a PvP mode. It's frustrating for those players who want to make the most out of their time, very frustrating.

Previously those players would just leave the warzone, no big deal there honestly, they were AFK anyway. Then you had the potential to get an actual player to backfill instead of an AFKer. But sadly they don't leave anymore due to the lock out timer.

While it may not seem a big issue at first glance, regular warzones aren't that serious (most people play them because they're fun, the average warzone nowadays aren't even competitive.) and there's a lot of maps people don't really enjoy. I do feel if we keep a lockout it should be only after the game has started, if someone is to backfill they should NOT be punished by a lockout.

If that couldn't happen, give us an option to queue for the maps we want to play or select out ones we don't want to play. Then also give us an option to never be backfilled people would be incredibly happy.

Another thing, which I find less serious but is hurting the casual PvPer a LOT or the solo PvPer that plays certain classes. Is that you only get credit for winning, this isn't how it used to be and it makes it much harsher for those casual or new to PvP players to get their weeklies done. While the rewards for it and winning means nothing to me as a hardcore PvPer, I can see how discouraging and rough it is to try to get them done.

The previous system was superior, including the previous matchmaking system.

I am sure someone else could put what I am saying into better words but, I assume you understand the gist of it.

Super happy to see potentially more information coming out and more responses from the dev team!

Edited by Beyrahl