Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

"Launcher is being updated. Please wait"

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
"Launcher is being updated. Please wait"
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Aries_cz's Avatar


Aries_cz
08.10.2017 , 12:06 AM | #241
Quote: Originally Posted by Thraxantulus View Post
So, the next big question is... where can I find a Vista 64 to Win 7 upgrade? Can't find one on newegg, Amazon, or any other reputable site. Very leary of places like Ebay where you can't really be sure what you'll get.

Any ideas out there?
In the long run, getting Win10 is better. I would suggest https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/ pretty good prices and solid verified sellers.

If you are worried about the supposed spying, it has never really been proven to "phone home" during any regular usage for extended periods of time. Assuming you do not use Cortana, handwriting recognition and and other such stuff that the system explicitly says it needs to "phone home" about, your privacy is as safe as it is on XP/Vista.
Supreme Commander of all riots yet to come
Without the darkness, how would we recognize the light?
Aries, admin of Czech/Slovak fansite SW-TOR.cz
Check out my story videos or support me by clicking my Referral Link

Rion_Starkiller's Avatar


Rion_Starkiller
08.10.2017 , 08:26 AM | #242
Quote: Originally Posted by DanNV View Post
FWIW, I prefer Windows 7, but Windows 10 isn't bad. Windows 8 is terrible, so skip that one.
Quote: Originally Posted by Aries_cz View Post
In the long run, getting Win10 is better. .
In my experience, if he has older hardware, I think he should go with Win7. But if he has newer hardware, or plans to upgrade, I agree that Win10 is the better investment.
-Beruhl
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Soon™
Quote: Originally Posted by Trolltar View Post
I believe he's quoting a frequent contributor to these forums. His name is Strawman.

Kyuuu's Avatar


Kyuuu
08.10.2017 , 11:27 AM | #243
yay? does that mean we can get 64bit client and or moving away from DX9 so performance from engine dont suck so much?

Verain's Avatar


Verain
08.10.2017 , 01:29 PM | #244
Quote: Originally Posted by Glzmo View Post
No, it isn't. Especially for CPU intensive games like MMORPGs, Vulkan as well as DirectX 12 - if implemented properly (which certainly isn't easy!) - can lead to large performance improvements together with a native 64 bit client. So it isn't nonsense.
It's nonsense compared to Vulkan. If they are going to go through the hassle of supporting a new thing, it should be the good new thing, not the knockoff-rushed-to-market-proprietary-control new thing.


Quote:
Thus I'd like to see at least one of the two implemented as an option to supplement the current DirectX 9 render path.
I mean, if it is on the table to add another, without axing DX9 support, I'd obviously be perfectly happy with that. But this thread already has people asking for the devs to convert the game to something else and then cut support for older stuff completely.

Quote:
With Vulkan, you could even think about implementing a native Linux Client as an option going forward.
Even I'm not naive enough to ask for that. My "no Tux, no bucks" counts "runs in Wine" as "close enough, will play", and I'm ok with that for now. I was shocked at the Linux and Mac players that showed up when that was broken for like a day, however- I had no idea there were so many of us. A native Linux client would be totally aces, but I doubt any serious change in platforms is planned for honestly the remainder of SWTOR's life.


Quote:
(Nvidia Fermi-based cards now have driver support for DX12 while they still have no Vulkan support and it isn't likely to be added anytime soon, for example).
I think the reason those don't is because there aren't as many of them running, based on their age? I don't think you'd choose one or the other based on that, though. As long as you weren't axing DX9, which would be a pretty crazy move.
"The most despicable person on the GSF forum."

Verain's Avatar


Verain
08.10.2017 , 01:39 PM | #245
Quote: Originally Posted by Aries_cz View Post
If you are worried about the supposed spying, it has never really been proven to "phone home" during any regular usage for extended periods of time.
That's wrong, yes it has. Here's a reasonably pro-Microsoft take:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows...work-analysis/

That basically assures you that your telemetry will not eat up your data plan. But that's not what you care about if you are complaining about telemetry, you care about what data about you it is leaking.


Quote:
Assuming you do not use Cortana, handwriting recognition and and other such stuff that the system explicitly says it needs to "phone home" about, your privacy is as safe as it is on XP/Vista.
This is at best misleading. Many have reported seeing packets reliably when launching programs, like notepad.exe. At best, this is envelope information about when you are on your computer, and what you do when you are on at what times. At worst it is creepier and deeper. You give them ludicrous permissions when you sign that EULA.

The bigger issue is that actually changing your machine enough such that it doesn't telemetry the heck out of you requires you to disable Cortana, handwriting recognition, anything about predictive text, anything about one drive, and many, many other services which are on by default, and the settings are all over the place. Most people who believe they have tamped down the spying are shocked if they wireshark their box, but most just run some random script and believe themselves to be private.


This is pretty damned off topic for this thread, but so is your "hey guys, telemetry is fine" post. I don't think it's fine at all, for one.
"The most despicable person on the GSF forum."

Kyuuu's Avatar


Kyuuu
08.10.2017 , 03:56 PM | #246
i pretty sure what your "smart" phone is tracking and doing is way worse then what MS is doing, only your "smart" phone and carries dont really advertise this.

If you have and using "smart" phone you can't complaing about what MS doing cause what is happen with the "smart" phones is far worse.

And for your info win7/8 collect the same thing thing Win 10 does it just wasnt really made much thing till MS said they "collecting" this and that with win 10, XP did it to but to much lesser extent.

The security risk of XP/Vista only is why you should be on it. less they are not connected to internet

Verain's Avatar


Verain
08.10.2017 , 04:43 PM | #247
Quote: Originally Posted by Kyuuu View Post
i pretty sure what your "smart" phone is tracking and doing is way worse then what MS is doing, only your "smart" phone and carries dont really advertise this.
This remains off topic, but if this discussion is going to live here, I'll say my piece.

Just because phones suck (and they don't all: you can root your Android and eliminate telemetry very aggressively, and an Apple is nowhere near as intrusive as a stock Android, though not as good as an aggressively pruned one) is not an excuse for desktops to suck. There's no open phone: there's no safe and open source phone. Once it exists, you'll absolutely see people run to it to escape the spying. You already see people running special versions of Android, or explicitly going to Apple for their vastly less intrusive telemetry. Additionally, if your phone is untrustworthy, that's a BIG argument to be even harsher about demanding privacy in your computer OS: once that is snooping on you too, you have nowhere else to run.

It's like saying "well, your boss can watch what you do at work, so clearly your boss should be able to watch what you do at home". It's backwards logic.

Quote:
And for your info win7/8 collect the same thing thing Win 10 does
Absolutely false. While they DID backport some telemetry to 7 and 8, (a) you can turn it off, unlike in 10, (b) it's not present unless you actually update to those KBs, and (c) even if you install all the patches it doesn't carry anywhere near 10s information.

Quote:
The security risk of XP/Vista only is why you should be on it. less they are not connected to internet
While you can lock down an XP or Vista system, you are obviously much better off on a Windows 7 system or higher, as regards intrusions and vulnerabilities. However, many of the complaints related to XP were actually complaints because of OS X or Linux, which tend to mimic older Windows versions much better than newer ones. Linux doesn't have any of these ludicrous problems, and OS X has few or none.
"The most despicable person on the GSF forum."

Kyuuu's Avatar


Kyuuu
08.10.2017 , 05:49 PM | #248
Quote: Originally Posted by Verain View Post

Just because phones suck (and they don't all: you can root your Android and eliminate telemetry very aggressively, and an Apple is nowhere near as intrusive as a stock Android, though not as good as an aggressively pruned one) is not an excuse for desktops to suck. There's no open phone: there's no safe and open source phone. Once it exists, you'll absolutely see people run to it to escape the spying. You already see people running special versions of Android, or explicitly going to Apple for their vastly less intrusive telemetry. Additionally, if your phone is untrustworthy, that's a BIG argument to be even harsher about demanding privacy in your computer OS: once that is snooping on you too, you have nowhere else to run.
cute you think rooting your phone and eliminating the "telemetry" means you arnt geting track? Every piece data going in and out of smart phones calls/text/emials you name its track and intercepted and monitored from quite few agency cia is one them. forget about the fact that "smart" is a personal gps that no ammount of rooting and removing of "telemetry" will stop, so long there micro chip in and a battery they can track your location. you think all that stuff people send to there "cloud" is save too?

all this "telemetry " we have is the price pay for all this constantly online, and smart phones we have. no mater what you do you will be track if your online and if all that info is going threw satellites and it all does, if your that worry about it and you need to get off interent and stop using anything thats digital or has micro chips in it.

Majorty people wont do this but will complain about it, even though it can be stoped, is wrong maybe depend what used for, can it be stopped? NO it can't.

BTW there was data farmed from XP and Vista/Win7 long before they back ported MORE stuff from WIN 10 all this really wasn't public knowledge till MS announced it with Win 10, which when people went crazy and started dig.

Privacy is illusion in the digital age of everything connected to web. why you think every thing these days is connected? you think it was done for the "convenience" of the public only?

RowdyGowdy's Avatar


RowdyGowdy
08.10.2017 , 07:55 PM | #249
If anyone needs to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, it's still possible

to do so for free directly from the Microsoft website:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/acce...XNhiu3o52rA)()

You're welcome, enjoy the money saved y'all

Sincerely, Joey Paul Gowdy
IMDb 1 | IMDb 2 | FaceBook | Where's Joey?

LiberiFatales's Avatar


LiberiFatales
08.11.2017 , 06:22 AM | #250
Still having this problem. Using Windows 10 and have been for some time. Now on my second attempt to reinstall today.