Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

"Launcher is being updated. Please wait"

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
"Launcher is being updated. Please wait"
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Rion_Starkiller
08.09.2017 , 03:13 PM | #231
I mean, really guys? Windows XP? Make the switch to Win7 or Win10 already.

And if you are using Vista: lolz. Vista is the worst Windows version since Win ME. Even Win8 is better than Vista.
-Beruhl
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Soon™
Quote: Originally Posted by Trolltar View Post
I believe he's quoting a frequent contributor to these forums. His name is Strawman.

cyrusramsey
08.09.2017 , 03:23 PM | #232
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
I mean, really guys? Windows XP? Make the switch to Win7 or Win10 already.

And if you are using Vista: lolz. Vista is the worst Windows version since Win ME. Even Win8 is better than Vista.
Aside from poor initial driver support and the somewhat odd implied assumption that the user would be using at least the high end of mid-range hardware, there really was very little to complain about Vista and there certainly isn't now.

While I don't really see the point in sticking to Vista over Windows 7, I would pick Vista over Windows 8 or 10 any day.
#alts

DarthVitrial
08.09.2017 , 03:36 PM | #233
Quote: Originally Posted by Verain View Post
Adding a 64 bit client in addition to 32 bit is a good idea, but probably a big deal for them. DX11 in addition to DX9 sounds reasonable, but much better would be Vulkan in addition to DX9. DX12 is nonsense.
There are some benefits to DX12 (it fixes some issues related to having both an integrated GPU and a discreet one, which is useful for gaming laptops), but I understand what you mean. I mainly suggest DX11 instead of Vulkan because I imagine it would be easier for BW to switch to DX11, but Vulkan would be better, yes.
I don't see why it would be "in addition to" instead of replacing it outright, though. If they officially abandon support for Vista and older in October, then all officially supported OS's will be capable of 64 bit and DX11, so maintaining older backends would just be extra work for Bioware.
Pythirr Falton of the Harbinger.
Shadow of Revan Beta Tester
Become my Referral via this link
to get a Preferred Friends Bundle and 7 days added to your subscription (I will get Cartel Coins).
Quote: Originally Posted by LordArtemis View Post
I support blindly your salmon.

Lammia
08.09.2017 , 04:07 PM | #234
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthVitrial View Post
I don't see why it would be "in addition to" instead of replacing it outright, though. If they officially abandon support for Vista and older in October, then all officially supported OS's will be capable of 64 bit and DX11, so maintaining older backends would just be extra work for Bioware.
Completely dropping DX9 could impact non-supported OS's. I know, "not supported, so why would I care", but even if officially they don't care, it's money they don't get. STO dropped DX9 in March, my card still doesn't support DX11 through Wine = STO doesn't get my monies.

If losing subs is financially preferable to supporting both, then I'd understand that. But dropping for the sake of dropping wouldn't be a smart idea. The more computers can play the game, the more possible people subbing.

Verain
08.09.2017 , 04:22 PM | #235
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthVitrial View Post
I don't see why it would be "in addition to" instead of replacing it outright, though.
Well, I couldn't play, for one thing. Dropping support for stuff that many customers may need will absolutely have a cost in player goodwill, and a small but real cost in playerbase.
"The most despicable person on the GSF forum."

Thraxantulus
08.09.2017 , 05:15 PM | #236
So, the next big question is... where can I find a Vista 64 to Win 7 upgrade? Can't find one on newegg, Amazon, or any other reputable site. Very leary of places like Ebay where you can't really be sure what you'll get.

Any ideas out there?

MeNaCe-NZ
08.09.2017 , 05:17 PM | #237
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Just to add to (or more correctly, emphasize) this, this is NOT a Bioware issue, it's because of Microsoft...NOT Bioware.
It's not even really a Microsoft issue, it's a user issue at it's heart. I mean it's been 3 years since the system was completely discontinued now and these same people who stick with these systems are often the same people guilty of unknowingly help propagate bot nets and viruses that use systems exploits to spread.

I really have no pity at all for anyone still running these obsolete systems and who then run into issues as a result.

Glzmo
08.09.2017 , 05:22 PM | #238
It's a pity for the diehard XP and Vista users., but there's nothing that Bioware can do about it, so it's time to move on to a new OS for the people that still use older ones.
Quote: Originally Posted by Verain View Post
DX12 is nonsense.
No, it isn't. Especially for CPU intensive games like MMORPGs, Vulkan as well as DirectX 12 - if implemented properly (which certainly isn't easy!) - can lead to large performance improvements together with a native 64 bit client. So it isn't nonsense. Thus I'd like to see at least one of the two implemented as an option to supplement the current DirectX 9 render path. With Vulkan, you could even think about implementing a native Linux Client as an option going forward.
Then again, more video cards may support DX12 than Vulkan (Nvidia Fermi-based cards now have driver support for DX12 while they still have no Vulkan support and it isn't likely to be added anytime soon, for example).

Insidead
08.09.2017 , 07:47 PM | #239
Using Win 10, after 8 hours, still stuck on the 'launcher is being updated' screen.
I Told You Not To Mess With Me Again
I Raise My Fist, I Raise My Strength
I Will Refuse You,I Will Reduce You
http://www.swtor.com/r/NjYpr4

DanNV
08.09.2017 , 07:58 PM | #240
Quote: Originally Posted by Thraxantulus View Post
So, the next big question is... where can I find a Vista 64 to Win 7 upgrade? Can't find one on newegg, Amazon, or any other reputable site. Very leary of places like Ebay where you can't really be sure what you'll get.

Any ideas out there?
If you hunt around you may find a full Windows 7 disk and license out there (NewEgg, Tiger Direct, CDW, etc. might have one) but I wouldn't count on it. Windows 7 is no longer sold and it's end of support date has been announced. Vista Extended support ended April 11, 2017. Windows 7 ends January 14, 2020. See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...cle-fact-sheet .

FWIW, I prefer Windows 7, but Windows 10 isn't bad. Windows 8 is terrible, so skip that one.
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
Devs gambled everything on GC RNG, but they didn't even get green loot.
REGULATORS