Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

"Launcher is being updated. Please wait"

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
"Launcher is being updated. Please wait"
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

NaiChi
08.04.2017 , 08:43 PM | #201
Hi guys,

Those running this on wine and are struggling with the launcher not popping up (but is running in task manager) need to actually create a new shortcut from the virtual drive with the new fix as the 'updated' one is now gone. This may seem obvious to some but I'll post it here anyways :P

Thepyrethatburns
08.04.2017 , 08:46 PM | #202
Quote: Originally Posted by MeNaCe-NZ View Post
You should be grateful because they are spending their time to try fix a problem for an unsupported operating system that you should have moved away from once the company who makes it stopped supporting it.

It's YOUR fault you didn't upgrade your system once microsoft started officially supporting it.
And, if SWTOR had taken the Blizzard route and said in advance "Hey, the certs expire in October and so does your access to SWTOR", maybe people would be more understanding. At the very least, you could say "Hey, you were told in advance so it's on you if you ignore the warnings."

As it is, between this and finding out about the Blizzard announcement, the final straw has landed. I'm getting a low-end gaming laptop (or desktop but I'm kinda leaning Laptop) so, among other things, I don't have to game on one computer (The XP, much like my 95, will continue to serve as a legacy gaming box) and browse on a laptop. All the same, people have a right to be irritated at a sudden loss of the launcher without any forewarning when it has worked fine up until now.

Also, the initial issue wasn't just an XP/Vista issue so there's that too.
Avoid the horrors of a bitraider install/reinstall.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=673714

Jasmine
08.04.2017 , 09:19 PM | #203
Quote: Originally Posted by kodrac View Post
7 and 10. But honestly, if your rig is still running XP you'll have to upgrade the hardware just to run the new OS. You'll be better off with a new machine in the long run.
I'm on windows 10 and its not working for me.. been siting on the launcher screen for 30 min
Jasmine

MeNaCe-NZ
08.04.2017 , 09:53 PM | #204
Quote: Originally Posted by Thepyrethatburns View Post
And, if SWTOR had taken the Blizzard route and said in advance "Hey, the certs expire in October and so does your access to SWTOR", maybe people would be more understanding. At the very least, you could say "Hey, you were told in advance so it's on you if you ignore the warnings."

As it is, between this and finding out about the Blizzard announcement, the final straw has landed. I'm getting a low-end gaming laptop (or desktop but I'm kinda leaning Laptop) so, among other things, I don't have to game on one computer (The XP, much like my 95, will continue to serve as a legacy gaming box) and browse on a laptop. All the same, people have a right to be irritated at a sudden loss of the launcher without any forewarning when it has worked fine up until now.

Also, the initial issue wasn't just an XP/Vista issue so there's that too.
They can be annoyed at their inability to be running a supported O/S. It's not on the developer to test their product and ensuring there are going to be no issues with their product on operating systems that are end of life.

Good on Blizzard for noticing though but with a game that is like 10+ times larger than this in regards to population and similar in development resources it seems they have an edge in noticing these sort of things.

Liquor
08.04.2017 , 11:12 PM | #205
Quote: Originally Posted by Verain View Post
Yes, of course they do.

http://www.swtor.com/info/faq

You would certainly expect some reduced functionality with base system requirements. You would not expect to be unable to log in at all.

My unsupported OS is fully upgraded. Windows XP, on the other hand, is a supported OS.

If Bioware wants to stop supporting some of their loyal customers, that's up to them. They should, of course, announce this in advance, not just hotbreak an entire OS. That's obviously an accident, not a design goal.

With such a selfish set of statements (screw people who can't or won't upgrade, I could potentially perceive a small benefit if they threw you under the bus, so do it!), trust us, you don't want us to be honest with you.
Told you . . .

Quote: Originally Posted by Liquor View Post
Requirements can change without notice, look at how often the site info is updated. LoL

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...end-of-support
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...end-of-support
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...cle-fact-sheet

Selfish? When I'm stating facts and the progression of technology and security?

Example:
https://communities.intel.com/thread/113973
New tech but it wasn't a W10 update that broke it but a MS Visual C++ service pack update that missed the SR300 camera driver.

New launcher? Good chance it has a similar update inside that is incompatible with legacy operating systems, thus stay current and you'll have fewer conflicts. Explain how this is being selfish.

Oh please do. I'd rather have honest reponses and discussions than someone blowing smoke. But I don't let peanut gallery comments impact my life. I'm a bad in-game and troll on the forums.

And I'm hungry.

Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Alright folks, here is the current status from the team. Since Microsoft has dropped support for both Windows XP and Vista, it has been very challenging for us to work through a solution with them. Separately, the team is working to try to offer a solution for those of you who are still unable to play. Unfortunately, right now that is still not in place.

We apologize to those of you who are in that state, we are trying to arrive at a solution as soon as we can.

-eric

Well, hate to say it but I was right.

Yet again.
7 Day FREE Subscription + free stuff -----> REFERRAL LINK
SWTOR.tv <--- Link to all my streams, UI Settings and Discord
Grand Möff Kilran - Sýlas - Harkún
AKA: knowmyname -=- #NerfOperatives

Nightblazer
08.05.2017 , 01:07 AM | #206
Quote: Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
I'm on windows 10 and its not working for me.. been siting on the launcher screen for 30 min
Does it say the launcher is updating or giving an error. If your on 10 then it would be a separate issue.
“PATIENCE YOU MUST HAVE my young padawan”

– Yoda

Get 7 days free game time plus several unlocks by clicking here

AlrikFassbauer
08.05.2017 , 05:40 AM | #207
What do people honestly expect running operating systems that are end of life with their developer.
Like ... let's say ... BSD ?

Besides, you really really don't want to know how many Business Applications are at their end of life, but still used, because there just is no way to migrate their data. I've seen that personally last year. An old version, which was not supported anymore, was still used, because their data format is still incompatible to modern versions of the same or any other program.

I mean, with remarks like this, it clearly shows that you don't seem to know about non-IT-Business Software, like in Hospitals, for example. Even professionals regularly write in business-oriented IT magazines here that they MUST use software as old as Windows 3.1 (yes !) because there simply is no compatibility to be found anywhere !

How lucky we are that we are just gamers and give a sh** on database compatibility of business software !
Complex minds
will create
Complex problems.

disposabletoon
08.05.2017 , 11:19 AM | #208
Quote: Originally Posted by NaiChi View Post
Hi guys,

Those running this on wine and are struggling with the launcher not popping up (but is running in task manager) need to actually create a new shortcut from the virtual drive with the new fix as the 'updated' one is now gone. This may seem obvious to some but I'll post it here anyways :P
None of this is obvious to me. Thanks for posting something constructive. I wish more folks on this thread were doing the same.

Bioware is trying to find a work around for those of us affected. I appreciate everyone who is actually trying to help them do that.

Verain
08.05.2017 , 12:36 PM | #209
Quote: Originally Posted by Liquor View Post
Told you . . .
They said they are working on a fix, not randomly not supporting XP.
"The most despicable person on the GSF forum."

Verain
08.05.2017 , 12:40 PM | #210
You should be grateful because they are spending their time to try fix a problem for an unsupported operating system that you should have moved away from once the company who makes it stopped supporting it.

It's YOUR fault you didn't upgrade your system once microsoft started officially supporting it.
No one *should* have changed their working OS. No one has to upgrade. Right now, your lowest drama OS is probably Windows 7, but eventually that will be flagged unsupported by Microsoft (who has financial incentive to screw over everyone not feeding them telemetry on 10). But just as people won't leave XP, many won't leave 7. And if Bioware, or any other company, is supporting a game on an older OS, they'll have to deal with some workarounds for legacy, just as you are seeing now.
"The most despicable person on the GSF forum."