Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

"Launcher is being updated. Please wait"

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
"Launcher is being updated. Please wait"
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Icykill_
08.01.2017 , 04:38 PM | #121
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Running the launcher repair utility was a disaster for me. It tried to over-write my non-streaming install with the Bitraider streaming install. This needs to be addressed, either by explicitly providing instructions as to how to avoid this.. or providing a launcher repair utility that does not try to over-write the current install. A repair utility really should be bullet proof, NOT make matters worse.

Lucky for me, I had an image of my SWTOR install stored on a USB stick and could easily recover (once I restarted my computer to get rid of the processes that had some files locked when the launcher update errored out the first time).
I've been keeping a copy of swtor backed up for exactly that reason. But also because I reformat or reimage my drives often and it's also handy in case you have a drive failure.
RIP APAC Players 😢😢😢😢💦
Please click this Refer a Friend link for free stuff

jaymclaughlin
08.01.2017 , 04:40 PM | #122
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

I apologize for the silence today I didn't mean to leave you hanging! I talked with the team with all of the information you have put in the thread and there are a few steps we want to ensure you go through. If you are experiencing this issue and you are running the game on WinXP, there may be a separate issue. The team is looking into that now.

If after doing the above you are still not working, please run the launcher.diag.exe file located in your SWTOR directory. You can send the logs to communitysupport@swtor.com.

Thanks everyone.

-eric
Did all that stuff already, tried again... nothing changed... still doesn't work.

Andryah
08.01.2017 , 04:40 PM | #123
Quote: Originally Posted by Icykill_ View Post
I've been keeping a copy of swtor backed up for exactly that reason. But also because I reformat or reimage my drives often and it's also handy in case you have a drive failure.
Yep.. a back-up copy of the game image inoculates the player from a range of possible issues for sure.

I actually have two backups.. one automated via my home NAS (which is hardened against fire, water, voltage spikes, etc) .. and a manual copy on a usb stick. The stick is easier when I need to do an over-write, and the NAS is a backup to the backup... because &%$# does happen as I'm positive you know. If I ever had an issue with the USB stick (like somehow losing it) .. I can quickly load a new USB stick into the NAS and pull a copy in short order if I need to.
Current use of smartphones and computers have already become such a part of who we are to which he sees them as an extension of everyday life that makes us “cyborgs. Further, AI is a serious potential risk to the future of humanity.
- Elon Musk

EricMusco
08.01.2017 , 04:44 PM | #124 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hey folks,

We suspect that some of you who are still unable to get into the launcher are dealing with a Windows Certificate issue. We are looking into possible solutions for those of you who are having that issue, especially on older OS such as XP and Vista.

I will pass on more information as I have it.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

jaymclaughlin
08.01.2017 , 04:48 PM | #125
Hey folks,

We suspect that some of you who are still unable to get into the launcher are dealing with a Windows Certificate issue. We are looking into possible solutions for those of you who are having that issue, especially on older OS such as XP and Vista.

-eric
Sounds about right... also looks like an old bug that's been around since beta according to the searches I've been doing.

Fingers crossed you can find a fix

Jerba
08.01.2017 , 05:17 PM | #126
I talked with the team with all of the information you have put in the thread.
That's great to hear! One thing I didn't mention yet but that may be important is that when I updated my launcher, it only updated to D1.0.18, not to D2.0.1.
Per EA_Kipling's post here, I had to manually delete the patcher2014.version and patcher2017.version files to force the launcher to update to D2.0.1.

The thing is that the D1.0.18 executable is signed with the old certificate which will expire soon. I'm not sure why my launcher did not patch to D2.0.1, but if other players have the same issue like me and don't manually patch to D2.0.1, they may be unable to use the launcher when the certificate expires. I guess you could still use the Launcher Repair Utility then to avoid a redownload, but my own experience matches what Andryah wrote, that utility is pretty buggy.

Edit:
If it helps, these are my launcher logs from the initial update:
Spoiler

And these are the logs after deleting patcher2014.version and patcher2017.version:
Spoiler

Sylvannai
08.01.2017 , 05:27 PM | #127
Hey folks,

-eric

Hello Eric.

(Excuse me, my English ist very bad)

These are good News (I have Vista) but what about the Players who had already uninstalled the Game to reinstall it?
After the download of the Game files from the Homepage and the following new installation, the error message appears which is already known by the repair program.

"Windows Certificate issue"

The game can not be re-installed at this time.
Please remember to provide a new installation program in addition to the repair program so that the game can be reinstalled.

TheJediLolita
08.01.2017 , 06:34 PM | #128
Hey folks,

-eric
I had the Windows Certificate thing pop up too after running the launcher repair utility~ Thanks for keeping us all apprised.

IntegrationArch
08.01.2017 , 07:20 PM | #129
fyi
If you can't run SWTOR LAUNCHER, and you have legacy EOL Vista or XP if you run MMC then Add plugin Certificates you could import the SWTOR certificate if SWTOR support would publish it to you or email it or download it. .