Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

"Launcher is being updated. Please wait"

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
"Launcher is being updated. Please wait"
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

kodrac
08.09.2017 , 07:24 AM | #221
Quote: Originally Posted by Verain View Post
Windows 10 is not an upgrade. Windows 7 is not an upgrade to many people.
Just... LOL
One FREE character transfer -> CLICKY plus 7 days FREE -> FAQ

Nightblazer
08.09.2017 , 07:41 AM | #222
Windows 10 is not an upgrade. Windows 7 is not an upgrade to many people. There's no lesson here except to Bioware- test your stuff better. This is not a user problem. This is not a reason to "upgrade". This is just a problem Bioware needs to fix.
So based on this, then Bioware needs to make sure the game always runs on older OS? That they need to always support XP / Vista even in 10 - 15 years later assuming things are still around then?

so say in 10 - 15 years it stops working on XP that person shouldn't change OS then, BW needs to make it work still on XP?

Even WoW doesn't support XP or Vista BTW its even in their System specs:

https://us.battle.net/support/en/art...m-Requirements

So if I'm on XP then I should expect Blizzard to also support it too? By the same standard they should support XP just as much as Bioware should too right?

I mean by your response it sounds like BW is never allowed to drop support for their game for older OS such as XP or Vista that Microsoft; the creator of the OS, doesn't even support anymore and says you should get a newer OS.
“PATIENCE YOU MUST HAVE my young padawan”

– Yoda

Get 7 days free game time plus several unlocks by clicking here

EricMusco
08.09.2017 , 10:20 AM | #223 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hey folks,

Before we get into the fix we strongly recommend that any users who are on XP or Vista upgrade their OS to Win 7 or newer if at all possible. This will allow you to play SWTOR going forward without any need for this fix. If you upgrade at a later date after using it, additional steps will likely be required to get SWTOR to run. This could even include a full re-install.

Note: Only use the below solution if you are receiving the "Certificate Authentication Failed" error on a Windows XP or Vista PC! Issues on any other OS or any other errors will not be addressed.

Spoiler

This launcher issue has highlighted for us that going forward, we will be unable to support Windows XP and Vista for The Old Republic. Since Microsoft has discontinued support for both of those OS, we will need to follow suit since we cannot reliably fix any issues that could arise.

The fix above will allow you to continue to access SWTOR until October. Beyond that, should any other issues crop up for XP or Vista users we will be unable to provide any assistance.

Thank you for your patience as we worked through this!

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Verain
08.09.2017 , 10:31 AM | #224
hahaha ok I guess everyone saying you guys were just gonna drop XP support were correct. Thanks for trying though.

For Wine users (this includes PlayOnMac, PlayOnLinux, and whatever other Wine-derivative is in flavor), the Wine patch made by a user earlier in this thread looks like it was accepted into the baseline, and I believe that wine-staging 2.14 will have it. This means that you should *probably* be ok once it is everywhere, which one assumes will be before the certificate expiry (which will kill the old launcher, probably?) in October.

Obviously, there will be more on this as it develops, but if you pull over Wine+patch and do the dance right now, it should work with the newest launcher anyway, so I'm pretty confident non-Windows users have a solid path forward.
"The most despicable person on the GSF forum."

Jedi_riches
08.09.2017 , 10:48 AM | #225
hahaha ok I guess everyone saying you guys were just gonna drop XP support were correct. Thanks for trying though.
Its completely fair though why would someone continue to support a operating system that even it's own makers don't. Given how vulnerable xp is now nobody should be using it anyway.
How PvP balance is achieved - Bioware please nerf paper its OP, scissors are fine as they are.
Regards,
Rock

Andryah
08.09.2017 , 11:08 AM | #226
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

Before we get into the fix we strongly recommend that any users who are on XP or Vista upgrade their OS to Win 7 or newer if at all possible. This will allow you to play SWTOR going forward without any need for this fix. If you upgrade at a later date after using it, additional steps will likely be required to get SWTOR to run. This could even include a full re-install.

Note: Only use the below solution if you are receiving the "Certificate Authentication Failed" error on a Windows XP or Vista PC! Issues on any other OS or any other errors will not be addressed.

Spoiler

This launcher issue has highlighted for us that going forward, we will be unable to support Windows XP and Vista for The Old Republic. Since Microsoft has discontinued support for both of those OS, we will need to follow suit since we cannot reliably fix any issues that could arise.

The fix above will allow you to continue to access SWTOR until October. Beyond that, should any other issues crop up for XP or Vista users we will be unable to provide any assistance.

Thank you for your patience as we worked through this!

-eric
Sound advice. Took a little too long to come forward with it I think.. but that is the nature of things sometimes in the real world.

The only fault on the studio here in my view is that the did not see this (inability to get MS support for XP and Vista legacy effects) coming sooner (as some other MMO studios did and in fact terminated support for XP and Vista some time ago). Then again, they do tend to take an approach of not forcing players into narrow brackets of use for PC hardware and OS unless it is absolutely necessary.

Fellow forum members: please note that they have now stated that they will NOT be able to support or resolve launcher issues moving forward if you are on XP or Vista. You have been warned, and this temporary fix will only last a couple months... so might as well bite the bullet and upgrade your OS to something that is still supported by Microsoft.
"The internet has enabled so much and empowered so many. But it can also be a place where the basic rules of decency are suspended and pettiness and negativity thrive,” - Tim Cook, Apple CEO

TUXs
08.09.2017 , 12:54 PM | #227
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Fellow forum members: please note that they have now stated that they will NOT be able to support or resolve launcher issues moving forward if you are on XP or Vista. You have been warned, and this temporary fix will only last a couple months... so might as well bite the bullet and upgrade your OS to something that is still supported by Microsoft.
Just to add to (or more correctly, emphasize) this, this is NOT a Bioware issue, it's because of Microsoft...NOT Bioware.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

Mubrak
08.09.2017 , 01:21 PM | #228
To put it into perspective: That certificate is used for secure login (like https) - a third party is confirming that the SWTOR servers are what they claim to be and not some random hacker trying to get your login data. Once client and server trust each other, they encrypt the data sent across the internet to keep anyone else from listening in.

But how can we trust that third party who issued the certificate? Microsoft confirms with another certificate (which is part of Windows itself) that these people are legit.

And here's the problem: since Microsoft no longer updates Windows XP and Vista, there is no way to validate new security certificates when the old ones expire. (Unless you manually install a new root certificate to your Windows XP, but If you know how to do this, you don't have the problem, because you deinstalled Win XP the day MS stopped supporting it.)

There is nothing BW can do, all those other programs that log in to an online server will also soon stop working, unless they don't encrypt the data sent across the internet, in this case you can still use those services, but really shouldn't.
Say NO to forced server merges!
Make transfers easier - for those willing to move.

Referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/rszTdG

DarthVitrial
08.09.2017 , 03:05 PM | #229
So since XP and Vista support is being dropped, now is the perfect time to also switch over to DX11/12 and a 64-bit client, since Windows 7 and up supports DX11 and 64-bit as is.
Pythirr Falton of the Harbinger.
Shadow of Revan Beta Tester
Become my Referral via this link
to get a Preferred Friends Bundle and 7 days added to your subscription (I will get Cartel Coins).
Quote: Originally Posted by LordArtemis View Post
I support blindly your salmon.

Verain
08.09.2017 , 03:08 PM | #230
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthVitrial View Post
So since XP and Vista support is being dropped, now is the perfect time to also switch over to DX11/12 and a 64-bit client, since Windows 7 and up supports DX11 and 64-bit as is.
Adding a 64 bit client in addition to 32 bit is a good idea, but probably a big deal for them. DX11 in addition to DX9 sounds reasonable, but much better would be Vulkan in addition to DX9. DX12 is nonsense.
"The most despicable person on the GSF forum."