Looking for a decent PVP Merc build

MerriwxOne

Just as the title says. I've been reading most of the negative post, but every character class has been through the "we got nerfed shock" before. There has to be "A" build out there. I'm trying to stay positive. :) I'm lvl 14 ATM.

Lvl 14, wow, you're a real veteran. "We got nerfed shock"? Yup, I guess that's it. Such insight. Have fun staying positive while you're getting your *** kicked.

Thank you for actually contributing to the thread!

So...what are the downfalls of the build, strengths or proper rotation? In terms of DPS...does this spec perform better(or close to it) than using a spec in Arsenal?

That, or this:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#300ZMIkZfhrbzGhrs.2 - Pyro

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#300bcMZMIkbRrdRkczZc.2 - Arsenal

Arsenal does do more damage, and the 2 knockbacks are nice (Huttball). However, Arsenal has some pretty severe downfalls. Arsenal revolves around Tracer Missle, which is a 1.5 activation time ability. Because of this, Arsenals are easily shut down, and with very little defensive abilities, coupled with no reliable snare, you can't kite/run away or use LoS properly. Rotation:

Explosive Dart > Tracer Missle > Tracer Missle > Railshot > Heat Seeker Missles > Unload (procced or not) > Thermal Sensor Override + Power Surge for Heals, or Fusion Missle. - rinse and repeat.

Pyro is generally considered "better" at PvP with it's mobility, however, they also suffer the same as Arsenal Mercs. It deals less damage, but has some decent burst. Typical opener/rotation is:

Incendriary Grenade > Railshot > Thermal Detonator > Unload (or Power Shot if it doesnt reset the CD on Railshot) > Railshot > Thermal Sensor Override + Power Surge for Heals, or Fusion Missle. - I usually spam ***** Shots to TRY to get the snare and CGC (Comubustable Gas Cylinder) applied, but it usually doesnt work IMO. Between the 6 secs for Railshot to be procced, I tend to use Power Shot for filler.

Also, try to be at angles where your knockback will get them out of your LoS. Good Luck.

Edit - It blocked out the name of our "auto attack" lol.

Edited by SWCwall

That, or this:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#300ZMIkZfhrbzGhrs.2 - Pyro

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#300bcMZMIkbRrdRkczZc.2 - Arsenal

Arsenal does do more damage, and the 2 knockbacks are nice (Huttball). However, Arsenal has some pretty severe downfalls. Arsenal revolves around Tracer Missle, which is a 1.5 activation time ability. Because of this, Arsenals are easily shut down, and with very little defensive abilities, coupled with no reliable snare, you can't kite/run away or use LoS properly. Rotation:

Explosive Dart > Tracer Missle > Tracer Missle > Railshot > Heat Seeker Missles > Unload (procced or not) > Thermal Sensor Override + Power Surge for Heals, or Fusion Missle. - rinse and repeat.

Pyro is generally considered "better" at PvP with it's mobility, however, they also suffer the same as Arsenal Mercs. It deals less damage, but has some decent burst. Typical opener/rotation is:

Incendriary Grenade > Railshot > Thermal Detonator > Unload (or Power Shot if it doesnt reset the CD on Railshot) > Railshot > Thermal Sensor Override + Power Surge for Heals, or Fusion Missle. - I usually spam ***** Shots to TRY to get the snare and CGC (Comubustable Gas Cylinder) applied, but it usually doesnt work IMO. Between the 6 secs for Railshot to be procced, I tend to use Power Shot for filler.

Also, try to be at angles where your knockback will get them out of your LoS. Good Luck.

Edit - It blocked out the name of our "auto attack" lol.

Nice write up but i suggest take the 2 Points from Pinning Fire and either get more Endurance or vent more heat.

And to the OP, dont listen to people that say we are under powered, we can put out the DPS and we can kite very well, the trick is play smart, go get dragged into the 1v1's, stun and run or knock back and run, live to fight another day.

Eg, in Hutt ball, stay up high and when you knock back aim them into fire or off the ledge.

in NC, use the turrets or the bunker to loose LOS.

in VS use walls for LOS and your AOE attacks lots, and if you can get a sage (if sage run and jumps from start) to pull you up on the ledge and cast non stop :)

In CW, stay in mid and get on the ledges but dont stay still.

Ok...so kiting and LoS is crucial, but seeing that each build uses RS in the rotation heavy, would it be wise to stack Surge since pts in the skill tree make RS auto crit? Also....would stating alacrity help get TM down to 1 sec or lower?

Unfortunately, Alacrity is pretty much a waste stat. I'd never stack it. I don't have any numbers to give, or any links to prove that fact/statement, but it's what I've heard. Same with Surge, you hit the Diminishing returns mark at about 73-75%, which is the most you will want to stack it to. Other then that, stat priority should go:

Power > Surge > Crit > Accuracy > Alacrity > (none, if you can).

Keep in mind that 10-30ish PvP is more about keeping your gear up to date as your stats should be boosted to a set amount regardless of what you stack. I wouldn't worry too much about secondary stats, until about 35-49. When you hit 50 and start getting some BM/WH gear, Augments should be either all Aim, or Aim and Power.

Hope this helps.

Edited by SWCwall

Ok...so kiting and LoS is crucial, but seeing that each build uses RS in the rotation heavy, would it be wise to stack Surge since pts in the skill tree make RS auto crit? Also....would stating alacrity help get TM down to 1 sec or lower?

lol.

Dude. Just play your class. You'll enjoy level 10-49 pvp cause most are goobers. Stay in blue or better on-level gear, and it won't matter what your stat distribution or rotation is. At 50, it will suck and you will hate it. Enjoy the ride.

Unfortunately, Alacrity is pretty much a waste stat. I'd never stack it. I don't have any numbers to give, or any links to prove that fact/statement, but it's what I've heard. Same with Surge, you hit the Diminishing returns mark at about 73-75%, which is the most you will want to stack it to. Other then that, stat priority should go:

Power > Surge > Crit > Accuracy > Alacrity > (none, if you can).

Keep in mind that 10-30ish PvP is more about keeping your gear up to date as your stats should be boosted to a set amount regardless of what you stack. I wouldn't worry too much about secondary stats, until about 35-49. When you hit 50 and start getting some BM/WH gear, Augments should be either all Aim, or Aim and Power.

Hope this helps.

Yes it does...all helps...I'm just ignoring the negative.

Only reason I thought alacrity was worth a try is I've never seen people talk about it...maybe they haven't tried. BW has put it on the gear, and w/ the other toons I've rolled it helps. It is very underrated stat, but you should never get crazy with it. Most interrupts are 6secs cool-down(skill pt'd) with a 4sec wait...2 sec window. If TM could drop to 1sec...that would be close to stacking 2 or using a pyro skill(if pyro speccd) to setup the nasty stuff....not to mention using LoS so they miss casting the interrupt in the first place.

Just a thought

Has anyone tried a Hybrid yet...I had some success with a hybrid Vanguard, but I know the mirror is Pyrotech.

lol.

Dude. Just play your class. You'll enjoy level 10-49 pvp cause most are goobers. Stay in blue or better on-level gear, and it won't matter what your stat distribution or rotation is. At 50, it will suck and you will hate it. Enjoy the ride.

^ this.

I only ask about a Hybrid spec because I see that a point in Power shield (Bodyguard tree) makes you immune from interrupts. Does it work in PvP? If so....would any build suffer without using Heatseeker(Arsenal) or T.Detonator(Pyro)?

Arsenal would be horrible without heatseeker. It's my finishing hit most of the time and vital for what pathetic mobility the spec has. Theoretically, Arsenal would benefit most from it, if it weren't for that.

Pyro takes a significant hit in their single target damage, and at the same time, benefits least from it, since they don't use many channelled attacks (power shot is horrible).

Edited by clearsighted

Arsenal would be horrible without heatseeker. It's my finishing hit most of the time and vital for what pathetic mobility the spec has. Theoretically, Arsenal would benefit most from it, if it weren't for that.

Pyro takes a significant hit in their single target damage, and at the same time, benefits least from it, since they don't use many channelled attacks (power shot is horrible).

Hmmm....makes sense...so possibly Merc is suited to be a medic using pyro/arsenal as support for team healing. Looking in the Bodyguard tree, it seems to have more than 1 skill that helps damage. Odd that none of the other AC's with medical abilities has them.

Hmmm....makes sense...so possibly Merc is suited to be a medic using pyro/arsenal as support for team healing. Looking in the Bodyguard tree, it seems to have more than 1 skill that helps damage. Odd that none of the other AC's with medical abilities has them.

Basically, there is no viable hybrid spec for merc.