New Swoop Event

xordevoreaux

I didn't bother with it. Don't know when I will.

Why?

I've learned by now not to engage something right out of the box in this game, because there will be rollbacks, zeroing out of achievements, resetting of scores --- something. Prove me wrong.

Swoop Event - "Perfect Race" for Pit Screamers + Horizon's Razors on Onderon bugged?

https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9858789#edit9858789

Tatooine Loyalist Sweep is broken ?

https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9858780#edit9858780

AP Energy Burst not consuming Energy Lodes

https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9858750#edit9858750

Swoop Racing bonus mission timer |

https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9858737#edit9858737

Hi there,

The All Worlds Ultimate Swoop Rally event is now live. Have fun!

Translation:

The All Worlds Ultimate Swoop Rally event is now live. Please test.

hrm its been pretty good for me. The horizon and beks one on onderon won't let me do perfection the timer keeps ending prematurely too, but I did the flying one there. I liked having the ramp at the sarlaac pit on tat to jump over wish there were more stuff like that put in on the different worlds just let us go around and do stunts wherever. Also fun to challenge yourself with. One thing I really dislike though is the requirement to do each race 200 times for all the achievements. I'm doing them on 5 characters a day and already starting to burn out but even doing it on 5 players a day it would take 40 days of grinding to complete those. Just way too overkill considering I've already got enough rep tokens to hit champion level and by tomorrow I'll have enough to hit legend. Just have to wait a few weeks clicking all the tokens and filling up my rep each week.

At best I found the whole swoop event tedious. Mysteriously failing missions with no clue why was anger inducing enough to find lesson planning a more interesting alternative. Moreover, with the no small conquest planet I have no reason to suffer through it. If I want a racing game, I'll go borrow my children's switch and play Mario Kart.

If you the reader are enjoying it, great. Have fun. But for me, and it seems a fair number of others, it just isn't worth the time.

I kind of like it. Perhaps just because its new, but its definitely different than anything we've seen before. Blatant Beks courses are obviously the most complicated, and Onderon is the hardest maneuvers of the planets, but once you get a few rounds in, the event itself actually pretty well done. The mechanics of the races themselves have worked pretty well. Its mostly achievements that are bugged ... I can live with that, as long as the bikes and the race works. Not really looking to clear every achievement in the first week, just to stock up on rep trophies. It's not like the event is going to be deleted. Considering COVID I'm actually impressed with what they've put out. The side missions that unlock once you gain some reputation are a nice touch. Reward tokens are awarding properly and in an acceptable quantity to start making some purchases soon.

Granted, I have a pretty good setup on my desktop so YMMV ... hey, even my mileage may vary on my laptop which I haven't tried the event on yet. But I'm not really experiencing unplayable lag. There are delays, of course, as the new event-related structures are rendered over the existing planet landscapes, but its not too bad once its drawn. I don't really experience any lag on the course itself.

cpu Core i7-4960X overclocked to 4 GHz when all 6 cores active

SWTOR installed on old-style SATA SSD drives in a raid 0 configuration

32GB RAM (DDR3)

two EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 TI (DDR5, 6GB) in SLI configuration

an old Ivy Bridge Intel X79 gigabyte motherboard

Ethernet connection to cable internet with about 200 Mbps download speed and latency around 60 ms.

Graphics settings in SWTOR mostly high settings

I'm also having fun making some decent use out of my Victor's set and intend to make it my swoop riding set, with Mission Reward and Mount Speed amplifiers. (Yeah, I'm not sure if Mount Speed makes a difference on the bikes, but I only roll till I hit around 28k.)