Pyrotech any good in PvP?

Malphayden

If you're good with the class, you'll find yourself doing decent dps but you will die a lot. Powertechs tend to be focused due to just how easy they are to burn down. Expect to find yourself dying on average anywhere from 7 to 10 times.

I've just come back after a long break and I'm really enjoying Pyrotech. The visuals and play style are right up my ally. However, I've read a few things that make me think I may be at a disadvantage in PvP. Are they that bad?

Just role a Skank Tank PT like everyone else does. They work,

AP PT has the best burst in the game, and you do see some of them doing really well in regs, they have to be a bitmore careful because they do lack a bit in the survival area, but their burst is insanely strong so if have the skill, AP PT can be extremely effective.

I've just come back after a long break and I'm really enjoying Pyrotech. The visuals and play style are right up my ally. However, I've read a few things that make me think I may be at a disadvantage in PvP. Are they that bad?

Both dps pt specs are dead, and cant survive without healer and tank guarding them. You must reroll to other class fast

Just role a Skank Tank PT like everyone else does. They work,

AP PT has the best burst in the game, and you do see some of them doing really well in regs, they have to be a bitmore careful because they do lack a bit in the survival area, but their burst is insanely strong so if have the skill, AP PT can be extremely effective.

Yeah, I’ve seen one or two exceptional APs around, but they are obviously experts on the class and would seem good even if you made PTs worse than they already are.

Like you said, most PTs are skanks and do work, but they are more of pain than anything. They only become a problem when they have two healers with them.

Skank tank and healer combos are the premade meta and they are ruining regs as far as I’m concerned, it’s just boring play.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

No.

No further explanation required. Just go play it and see.

Reiterated, for emphasis. I retired my (AP) PT until BW gets around to addressing their survivability issues. I'm not going to be holding my breath for that. In the meanwhile, Mercs, Snipers, and Maras offer comparable DPS and far, far better survivability.

If you want a more elaborate discussion, and some alternate points of view, feel free to necro this thread:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=938788

Edited by Mournblood

Juggs with OG merc dcds in 6.0. Woohoo

Actually lets just nerf snipers and mercs. Other classes are fine mostly, thats what matters. I dont see large good buffs happening. Only ones that break balance further...

Edited by RACATW

Don't listen to these people. I have seen plenty PT's do very well in PVP. I am not saying they are god mode by any means, but I have seen some be close to top in damage (even a few top in damage with 4 mill +) although they were probably exceptional players decked in full 248 gear with augs. Bottom line, if played right yes, they can be good in PVP. Most people do not want to mess with them though because of the so called "they get focused" bs. I have been pvping for a while and if you play Unranked PVP, which you will before reaching V rank 25, don't submit to the notion they get focused. I see plenty of P techs running around silly causing havoc. It depends on server too though. I play on Satele Shan, and the pubs on that server are abysmal in PVP. People can get pissed at me saying that, but it is true.

Referencing to Pyrotech in PvP on the class forums of Powertechs / Vanguards:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=940417&page=2

Pyrotech is awesome to play. You can outdps 99% of all regular warzone players and even most of ranked players. You will simply struggle at surviving. I'm going to stream some Pyrotech PvP in the next days, I will be grateful if you visit me on twitch:

https://www.twitch.tv/frontknirps

Don't listen to these people. I have seen plenty PT's do very well in PVP. I am not saying they are god mode by any means, but I have seen some be close to top in damage (even a few top in damage with 4 mill +) although they were probably exceptional players decked in full 248 gear with augs. Bottom line, if played right yes, they can be good in PVP. Most people do not want to mess with them though because of the so called "they get focused" bs. I have been pvping for a while and if you play Unranked PVP, which you will before reaching V rank 25, don't submit to the notion they get focused. I see plenty of P techs running around silly causing havoc. It depends on server too though. I play on Satele Shan, and the pubs on that server are abysmal in PVP. People can get pissed at me saying that, but it is true.

Focused by pyro PT. :p Nice joke, really!

When they have a healer? Yes.

They can do an insane amount of damage but the drawback is that they are one of the squishiest specs in the game. I quite often see pyrotechs top or come second on the leaderboard for DPS but that is usually with a healer.

If you're having fun with the spec keep with it. You should always play a class you enjoy first and foremost. I'd recommend finding a good healer however that makes for equally good company and queuing together. Otherwise you're going to be dying a lot. :D