How is the story so far?

SirRickson

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed the story, albeit... it felt fast. I think I finished all nine chapters in about 7-8 hours. They transitioned nicely, and were fun. There was class flavor, at least for my consular. And I've rather enjoyed the new companions :) Nice plot twists. There's junk to do after it... I'm still absorbing a lot of the info.

From what I could tell. My choices kind of mattered. Like... I saved a dude, and he remembered it later on. I did a few other things that irritated Lana, but Koth liked. Stuff like that. I'm not sure how my major decisions will affect the game later on. But just gonna have to wait and see. There was a lot of 'Lana doesn't find that amusing' or 'Koth is extremely interested'. Or '-dude- is intrigued.' But it didn't get me disapproval or approval... just reactions. And a lot of '-insertperson- will remember this later' of various degrees.

I'm mostly irritated at the fact I have to wait for more :p But I get that same feeling when I read Game of Thrones (or any book... anime... movie... tv show), and Winds of Winter hasn't been released... I. Just. Want. TO. KNOW ALL THE THINGS.

Edited by GabbyMe

Story is great. BW really did a good job and there is A LOT of room to take these further.

My advice is not to rush it. We aren't getting more until January, so enjoy the stories. As much as you want to rush through them like the majority of players, don't. You will end up disappointed.

Story is great. BW really did a good job and there is A LOT of room to take these further.

My advice is not to rush it. We aren't getting more until January, so enjoy the stories. As much as you want to rush through them like the majority of players, don't. You will end up disappointed.

I got to chapter 8 without rushing and just playing the game. I've been enjoying it, but I'm not sure it's really a matter of "rushing it" unless by "dont rush it" you mean "dont space bar it" :p

I enjoyed the story and the twists, but just like SoR and Hutt Cartel, it does not live up to the hype(imo). We were told that it would be character driven and choices would affect the story. I've played two characters through it so far and intentionally made completely different choices to test that theory. Guess what? EXACT same outcome regardless. EXACT same story. Again, it IS a good story, but just once I'd like to see some variations, either in class or at the very least in faction.

But, don't get me wrong, I LOVE this game and will probably still be playing it when I'm 80...lol

Just my two cents

Story and characters are good, but it's far too rushed. You're barely given time to think about any plot development or character before you're whisked off to the next event. The ending and current present of KOTFE after completion of the story is interesting, but there's no sense of earning it.

KOTFE isn't bad at all, but the pacing is awful.

I am enjoying it also, and would agree it moves pretty quickly from one event to another. Not a lot of side quests that I've found so far, mostly just story line. Not sure about the class distinctions either, although so far as I'm playing my Jedi Knight the only other players I've seen are force users. So I'm assuming that maybe Commandos/Mercs/Agents/Smugglers have another story line? Hoping that as we get deeper into the chapters that maybe more separation will happen.

Unfortunately I do not have early acces as I only returned last month but for those of you who have played through the new KOTFE story. How is it so far? Do choices matter? And is there variation between each of the classes.

Two thumbs way, WAY up.

Its SWTOR at its most epic. Its also in my opinion a return to Bioware's roots.

Edited by Karkais

Its also in my opinion a return to Bioware's roots.

For good and for ill, notably the very rushed pace leading to shallow characterization. I've been through KOTFE's story twice now and I still can't tell you more than one or two things about any character or setting element because that's all the story has time to show.

How is the story so far?

Spoiler free, I was able to do my download around 4pm Pacific. It was done around 5pm Pacific. I made dinner, eat dinner, then Logged in at 7pm. I wanted to go to sleep by 3am, but I couldn't bare to sleep until I reached a specific point which I knew would come. Around 5am as the sky was turning grey outside, I was able to log out and go to sleep.

Also, so as to make this clear, I am an Avid Bioware fan, been one since Baldur's Gate for the PC. I have played every Bioware game ever, and have only been disappointed in a few games, SWToR when released being one of them. I felt they were trying too hard to be WOW in Space. I think what they have now as an MMO is far superior than it was. And now the Story actually feels like a Bioware Story. I am stopping randomly to listen to basic NPC dialogs, which I can't even react to. I am getting a full barrage of emotions from the events I am forced to deal with. I have to point out, I am loving this. Instead of doing a WOW clone MMO expansion, they have gone full Bioware. You will barely have a chance to breath if you do it right. God I love it.

I enjoyed the story and the twists, but just like SoR and Hutt Cartel, it does not live up to the hype(imo). We were told that it would be character driven and choices would affect the story. I've played two characters through it so far and intentionally made completely different choices to test that theory. Guess what? EXACT same outcome regardless. EXACT same story. Again, it IS a good story, but just once I'd like to see some variations, either in class or at the very least in faction.

But, don't get me wrong, I LOVE this game and will probably still be playing it when I'm 80...lol

Just my two cents

That is false, and you know it. I did two playthroughs so far, one as a grey sith who refuses valkorions offer, the other as a pure sith who kneels. If you kneel he basically is grooming you to become his successor, he makes a deal with you and tells you he plans on delivering it. Essentially he wants you to forget about the empire/republic because they failed, and focus on ruling Zakuul. He even tells you he'll eventually share his secret to immortality. If you don't, he still tries to sway you but there is no mention of this deal.

Another change I saw in both playthroughs was whether or not you admit to Lana that Valkorion is in your mind. If you do, she appreciates the honesty and there are dialogue changes throughout that show she is aware. If you don't, she is in the dark and curious as to where your power is coming from and shocked/disappointed upon finding out that you kept it from her. This also changes the relationship dynamic. Fully embracing valkorions power also has effects throughout the story.

These are just two things off the top of my head, there are MANY more. People expect monumental consequences to the little choices here and there, when in reality that wouldn't be possible. The choices and consequences in this expansion make complete sense, and it is beginning to rival DAI which is the best choices/consequences game from Bioware to date. KoTFE is on track to exceed that. Most of the consequences in KoTFE have to do with your relationships with companions/characters and how they perceive you based on your actions, and that is a huge thing.

As for the story, it is excellent. I went in with low expectations, and was blown away. This is the Kotor 3 we have been waiting for.

I'm enjoying it.

What I like are the subtle hints that there is more to come. And I am not just talking about with the alliance. There are still a lot of unanswered questions that I can't wait to find out about. For example, without being too spoilerific...The Eternal Fleet, anyone?

Also, it seems as though the potential is there (if they can get the voice actors) to recruit every companion from every class into the alliance. That will be fun :p

For good and for ill, notably the very rushed pace leading to shallow characterization. I've been through KOTFE's story twice now and I still can't tell you more than one or two things about any character or setting element because that's all the story has time to show.

Are you serious? Compared to the vanilla game, KotFE has REMARKABLE characterization for your companions. In my opinion, KotFE is the closest thing we've ever gotten to a true sequel of KOTOR.

The story is the best I've ever encountered in SWTOR.

It's absolutely amazing work. I can't beleive I'm playing SWTOR at all. It feels more like I'm on a gaming console with a great Halo or Mass Effect title and having a blast with the story and lore. :D It's worth trying out for sure. I didn't like the cliffhanger though. Just made me angry =(

Are you serious? Compared to the vanilla game, KotFE has REMARKABLE characterization for your companions. In my opinion, KotFE is the closest thing we've ever gotten to a true sequel of KOTOR.

I'm being dead serious. The only new companions who aren't cardboard cut-outs are the ones we've seen before.

KOTFE is not bad, but it isn't very good either.

The story is the best I've ever encountered in SWTOR.

It's absolutely amazing work. I can't beleive I'm playing SWTOR at all. It feels more like I'm on a gaming console with a great Halo or Mass Effect title and having a blast with the story and lore. :D It's worth trying out for sure. I didn't like the cliffhanger though. Just made me angry =(

It wasn't even much of a cliffhanger to be honest.

I'm being dead serious. The only new companions who aren't cardboard cut-outs are the ones we've seen before.

I fully agree here, yeah.

They went all out with the story. Beautiful setting, some jokes, very Star Wars-y themes, adventure. It feels like a wild ride, but the problem is, I don't give a damn about characters. Arcann, maybe, but he only mentions his brother in passing - as if that sacrifice never existed at all. The rest - Vaylin, Lana, Koth, even Valcorian - their characterization is just not that good. It's like comparing Garrus Vakarian to a random Asari over there.

I liked HK-55, and I appreciate the comic relief, but really, I feel the letters by your love interests were much deeper and more engaging than any of Lana's dialogues or Emperor's monologues or Koth' quips.