Why people solo when they can group?

internaty

This really bug's mo.

When i am in a area questing and i see someone doing the EXACT same quest i useall invite them.

It offer's both of us extra xp and we dont fight over mobs.

But 90% of the time i get diclined.

Why?

Even if your not interested in turning in the quest togather grouping at the very least allow for mob sharing.

So explain to me why people outright refuse to group for a couple of min get the rewards then leave:S

It just doesnt make sense.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try whispering them first. Most people are put off by an invite that has no message attached to it and may not realize it's coming from the person in the same area as them (I've gotten invites from planets away for no reason at all).

Have to agree with this. If a group invite suddenly obscures my view of what I'm doing without being PRECEDED by pink text in my chat window from that person, I will admit to feeling a brief stab of boiling fury followed by annoyance at myself for overreacting :)

Always ask before inviting.

I played solo- and group-characters all the way to 50 and I have to say, not only did I get more money and loot solo, but I also was faster at level 50 than with the group characters. Makes me think those group benefits are a lie, buggy or simply to meager.

In any case that could be part of the problem.

Edited by lokozar

Try whispering them first. Most people are put off by an invite that has no message attached to it and may not realize it's coming from the person in the same area as them (I've gotten invites from planets away for no reason at all).

True.

Still after polite asking people to group 300 times where 298 times people pretend i aint even there you tent to think **** it i just invite them.

For myself - I agree with the person above who said "Say something first". Getting a group inv out of the blue is the same as getting a guild inv out of the blue to me. Both get declined without a thought.

Also - having accepted a few invites before, I'm rather leery about that whole thing. People spam an invite, then have to go back to town for something, then we have to wait on their buddy - who usually immediately dies or does something stupid ... like bounce around like a rabbit with adhd and promptly jumps off the cliff or something = more waiting. Then there's usually something else like - "hey wanna do this group quest quick?" Which is usually another whole circus because even tho it's a group mission, people think they can solo it because - well, we're in a group right? So everyone runs off to a different part of the instance ... and the predictable happens.

so ... yeah. Send me an invite out of the blue, without talking to me first ... you'll get declined every time.

Me - I'll wait a couple levels and then solo the group instances ... it's more fun that way anyway + you REALLY get to know your class that way.

My my. Just wait till you grow up an try to get help on the big ones. Your in for a real disappointment. You need to try and form your own group of friends as you play. Very few people will go out of their way to help.

In the beginning, I also was up for teams but never had much success. Most people have there own agendas. I also never saw a real difference with the shared features of this games’ parties. I always could run a mission or dungeon with much more profit by myself, and do it at my own speed, which allows me to experience all given content.

But, the very biggest thing for going solo, was and is that you build a much tougher toon. I see party people all the time that are about 2 to 4 levels below average level. Which is the difference of taking the boss out or not. But the other side of Parties are that you have more fun… and do it faster. So, make your own friend base as you play and you will be way ahead, when you get to higher planets.

Then comes the real fail of this game… when you grow up(lvl 50) you will need special armor and this takes much needed patience, time and friends, for several reasons. That is if you want to experience the upper end of War Zones and Operations. These levels are where you will find people are not very nice, that’s all imma going to say about that.

Don’t get me wrong. I personally will help anyone in this game, almost anytime. That’s because I have played most content and most of my characters are developed. I’ll even go as far as bringing a similar level on, just to have some fun, because my higher level characters in a lower mission or dungeon can not die, so that takes the fun out of it for you. That’s also where I loose out in profit. I greed all choices. Just my nature.

So, hope this helps you understand as to why people solo and not party… :)

Well, for one, it's the game. KOTOR expanded. That's why I play it. I know, I can join a group. I do some times. But not out of need. Well so far any way. The thing with a group. Do they fight the same way as you, do they recharge the same as you, attack all or just some. Thses are some of the questions that go through my mind when I'm asked to join a group. If your friends I think it would be a good way to play. But, as an individul, joining a group can be a pain. Need or greed? LOL often it dosn't turn out how you want it to. Any how that's my two bits.

do you know the quests in this zone?

are we doing the same series of quests?

are you a competent player or an under geared bozo who aggro's everything in sight?

I tend to quest at full speed since its not my first time around. Can you keep up with me?

for a random invite I really don't know, so why should I accept it? In most games I have played random/unsolicited invites are from weak, inept players looking for a free ride up the leveling chain. Most times I have grouped with someone except in the daily zones have been a waste of time. Now if you need my help I will gladly give it.

My my. Just wait till you grow up an try to get help on the big ones. Your in for a real disappointment. You need to try and form your own group of friends as you play. Very few people will go out of their way to help.

In the beginning, I also was up for teams but never had much success. Most people have there own agendas. I also never saw a real difference with the shared features of this games’ parties. I always could run a mission or dungeon with much more profit by myself, and do it at my own speed, which allows me to experience all given content.

But, the very biggest thing for going solo, was and is that you build a much tougher toon. I see party people all the time that are about 2 to 4 levels below average level. Which is the difference of taking the boss out or not. But the other side of Parties are that you have more fun… and do it faster. So, make your own friend base as you play and you will be way ahead, when you get to higher planets.

Then comes the real fail of this game… when you grow up(lvl 50) you will need special armor and this takes much needed patience, time and friends, for several reasons. That is if you want to experience the upper end of War Zones and Operations. These levels are where you will find people are not very nice, that’s all imma going to say about that.

Don’t get me wrong. I personally will help anyone in this game, almost anytime. That’s because I have played most content and most of my characters are developed. I’ll even go as far as bringing a similar level on, just to have some fun, because my higher level characters in a lower mission or dungeon can not die, so that takes the fun out of it for you. That’s also where I loose out in profit. I greed all choices. Just my nature.

So, hope this helps you understand as to why people solo and not party… :)

This really bug's mo.

When i am in a area questing and i see someone doing the EXACT same quest i useall invite them.

It offer's both of us extra xp and we dont fight over mobs.

But 90% of the time i get diclined.

Why?

Even if your not interested in turning in the quest togather grouping at the very least allow for mob sharing.

So explain to me why people outright refuse to group for a couple of min get the rewards then leave:S

It just doesnt make sense.

Just keep in mind that in some cases if you don't play up to other people's standards, then they will vote kick you fast. I PUG'd a HM FP with a group of 3 others in all the same guild. Make sure you do your role really well or they will call you out on it and drop you fast. They can be cruel about it as well, but I suppose they feel they wasted their time having you in their group (if you are bad) so perhaps it all depends on your point of view. It is the same if you play on a sports team or work for a living. You are there to contribute and if you are a detriment to the group, then you need to be benched or fired.

I try to learn my class and role well, but slipped that time because it was an Alt I got to 50 who I simply didn't take the time to really find a solid rotation for and is only in Tionese/Recruit right now. Better gear and more skill will hopefully remedy being a "bad"...or in the words of the PUG group I was in "L2P!!!"

i dont for a few reasons.

a tell would be nice but not needed. it will show consideration. at times it isnt needed when there is only the two of you there waiting for a respawn.

when in a group while on a speeder there is a bug when you are in combat and you jump off your companion doesnt summon and then cant be re summoned until it is over. for some this isn't a problem but for a healer it can take me forever to kill something. for a dps not having my healing companion there it can also be problematic. also if there are more than two of you in a group your companion will immediately go away placing you in the same situation as above. not cool getting a invite while in combat or being placed in it shortly after low on power and hit points.

my toons are well geared and companions have godmode presence to aid them. if there are too many people killing the same thing or in the area i just move on or wait my turn.

a) people have lives, for work, family or just cuase they can, they have to step away from the computer to do something, and feel being on a team while doing this often, is a determent to the team they are part of.

b) people want to enjoy the game and what it brings at thier own speed.

c) the way this game handles added members to most missions is idiotic, imo. See a spawn and you assess what needs to go down when, and when you aggro it, MORE peeps show out of nowhere.

d) gamers are clannish and will usually wait for players they perfer then be part of a PUG.

e) PUG horror stories

I hate people, especially ones that think they have some special right to force me group with them. I'm competent enough that I can solo the content that I want to play and I don't need your help, it's not my fault you can't do anything by yourself.

are you a competent player or an under geared bozo who aggro's everything in sight?

99.98% of the time the clown-monkeys that are running around spamming random invites crying for a group on general chat are not in the first category.

Any other questions?

Edited by bahdasz

A random group invite is very annoying. I have auto-decline turned on for that very reason. I like helping people out, but I hate grouping up with a random, under geared person who expects me to do all the killing. And, like a lot of other people, I only group with my guild. Too many jerks out there in random groups.:(

People can be idiots.

I just created a Bounty Hunter last week and was questing on Hutta. I got through most of it fast and was close to finishing my class quest. I'm on a side quest when someone sends me an invite for an area it looks like he needed help in. I accept even though I didn't need the help. I figured he did. So we get to an instanced area he can't get into (he must have just completed the quest) and he follows me in.

There's a champion that I could have taken out myself with Mako but still, we take him down and he drops purple loot with Aim. So I wait to see if he is going to greed it and he immediately NEEDS on it! So I need on it too but he wins the roll. Now I'm pissed so I leave the area and quit the group.

People like that piss me off and is the reason I prefer to solo content unless it's with my son, wife or guild. Even then I only group to help my wife or son and my guild only for FPs, Heroics or dailies. Plus having to split loot sucks as well. They don't give you enough credits when grouping which they should.

Several reasons for this - at least in my case.

First, like others have already pointed out, don't invite out of the blue. Ask first. If they don't respond, it's their choice and taking offense in that is rather silly. *You* want this person to group with you, not the other way around.

Second, I prefer to play at my own pace. To listen to parts of dialogue that I like, to skip those I don't, to grab resources without delaying others - and to not carry/be delayed by Powertech #9001 in half Str gear (NEED 4 RKT PUNCH K?), accompanied by Mako in a bikini, that scavanges every frakking dead droid in the vicinity and spends most of the fight overheated.

Third, on most of my characters, I can usually solo 95% of the planetary content, including some H4s which are not centered on fighting. What I can't solo, I do with a general chat-formed group, or skip it altogether.

When I am not working on leveling, I will normally spend time as a higher level on the start worlds, answering questions, buffing, and generally participating in general chat. Sine we hang out in the heroic areas, if someone asks for help, we can invite them to a group to help them.

BUT, I wait until someone asks for help, either in General chat, or by PM'ing me, rather than randomly inviting players. I know how annoyed I get when someone just randomly tries to group with me as a lower-level player (or any level, actually) when I made no statement saying that I wanted to group.

Slipster

It is a consequence of the way this game is now: The putrid nature of General chat and griefing from other players turns a lot of us from grouping with any except a select few. Unfair to you, OP, but that is way it seems to be. Truthfully, the group action is why I am in a guild. I found a good group of folks in my guild. If I can't make a group with my guildies or with the few outside players i'm friends with; then that quest is put on a back burner to solo, or when my group is ready.

Gen chat asking for help may work, but only if i don't have it turned off. Whispering may work- it is all about how a player presents himself. I am not adverse to helping others, but my goodwill is severely limited by the actions of others who have a different view of what fun in this game entails.

Sorry, playing solo seems to be more enjoyable than grouping up with random players for a lot of people. I know it is for me.

EDIT: I don't have a lot of 'me' time. Anything RL that pops up- I have to attend to immediately. Knowing the unfairness that would be to any group I join, this situation limits what I can do. As a result, I rarely raid- and if I join any group I make sure they are aware and are cool with the potential of me bailing.

Edited by amaresch

I accept nearly all team requests as long as I get a tell. I decline all blind invites.

I have been able to solo "most" stuff so far, needing help with a few Elites so teaming generally hasn't been an issue.

Flashpoints, of course I do with a friend or gather more people. :)

Speaking for myself, when I level a new character, I'm generally looking to be pretty efficient. I just want to work through the planets and play.

I do try to knock out all the heroics and, although I can solo most of them, I do throw out a general chat message and ask if anyone wants to join me before I go in.

For the other stuff, I generally don't look for a playing partner because I worry that the other person will want to listen to the cutscenes (I've seen them all at least once), or they'll have quests that I don't have and I'll feel obliged to go with them.

I just want to play through my own quests at the pace I choose. Playing with someone puts me on someone else's pace and so that's why I play solo.

Why? simple. Its becuase of this system bioware use's. Nothing is shared in the missions except bonus kills only. Its just a pain in the butt to group up for missions with gathering in such. Specialy when you come across players that just dont say anything and you are doing your thing but not ready for the final part..they click on the item and bam! you just lost your time spent on completing bonus. Edited by buttjammerrump

I thank you all for sharing your views.

While i do not agree with some of them,

I can now understand that bad experiance's have made you relucated to group.

As for those who attacked me:

I can solo 90% of the game(even most heroic's) i just like playing with people.

Wich bring's me too a other question:

Why people solo in a mmo period?

After all if you want to play alone play a singeplayer game.

I am awaiting your responses.

Edited by internaty