High resolution textures: can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

Once upon a time, in a land far, far in beta...

Good thing beta is a place where nothing is permenant >.> Also I think they can test pretty much anything they want in beta..

Edited by Aisar

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was out most of the day today, so I have a lot of catching up to do on this thread. MULTIQUOTE TIME START NOW!

This is important because when I have the choice between 30 shades of grey, black and brown for my gear. It is the detail that is going to make them look different to each other.

Maybe.

You get grey and black? No fair. My shadow is stuck almost entirely with just different shades of brown, for 43 levels now. Every once in a while I see a blue or a gray or a green but finding a full, matching set of moddable gear (or, hell, even just matching chest, gloves, and man-dress) that is anything but brown seems impossible.

Are you stupid?

CLEARLY THIS IS JUST LIGHTING LOOK AGAIN!

http://i.imgur.com/LbqOf.jpg

This is comedy gold.

For character textures.. Yes High only appear in cutscenes as show on one of my characters here..

Character Textures During and After Cutscene

Good lord, the pants! The side of your pants! I mean the whole thing looks terrible, but the pants are an extra special kind of terrible.

We have words like " cover-up" " swept under the rug" " intentional silence"

You people are acting like this is the Kennedy assassination or some x-file. Get real here people if Bioware can't get hi-Rez textures to load properly and then wants to get rid of the high button and call medium, high. Then they can. Deal with it.

I guess when you spend $50 bucks these day you get to own the company and act like a friggin jerk.

Has anybody ever even considered the fact that they don't even know how to fix it, and for the sake of not looking like complete morons and keep saying " we are working on it" for the trillionth time, they are just gonna let it be.

Uh, probably because our $60 purchase should probably reflect every single scrap of advertising material associated with said purchase? How about that? How about they should look like complete morons if they can't get the game running on a texture resolution that looks like it was created within the past decade?

I think alot of the players came from WoW, so they think anything made in the last 5 years is "high res".

Sadly, TOR's best in-game textures are actually really bad compared to current WoW textures, and I am by no means a fan of WoW's overall graphical style.

If I try to accumulate every statement or opnion I have made today in this thread I would summarize it like this..

In a nuteshell, if you have a system capable of running the game with the CURRENT graphics capabilities of the game, it looks great. The "movie quality cutscene character models" (yeah I made that up) are not much better IMO to what it looks like 24/7. More customers for BW.

There ya go.

I was going to resist feeding this sub-topic going on in this thread, but I just can't help myself. The fact that he doesn't seem to understand that making high resolution textures work for the people that want them will not remove the medium or low options for people that can't run the highres is just icing on the ridiculous cake.

Why are some people getting better textures than I am on high? There is a huge difference in the low res slave costume and the high res one. I have the texture settings on high but I don't get the high res....why?

It's because the real "high" texture setting doesn't work. You can hit medium, and apply, and then hit high, and apply, and notice zero difference in the in-game character textures. At certain points in the game, most notably most NPC conversations and (strangely) on the ctrl-click item preview (only for companions, not for you) the game actually loads the "high" textures, giving you a glimpse of how amazing this game could look.

What a lot of folks are doing to submit evidence of the current horrendous texture problem is the "holocomm trick" that temporarily forces the high-rez textures in the game world. You can see it in the screen comparison I posted a paragraph or two above.

Step 1: Crank all the settings to max.

Step 2: Position character so that somewhere you have a fraction of the holoterminal in your ship visible.

Step 3: Press CTRL+U to turn off your UI.

Step 4: Take screenshot.

Step 5: Right click the holoterminal and IMMEDIATELY press printscreen.

Clicking the terminal forces the high resolution textures for a mere fraction of a second, so you might have to give it several attempts before you nail the timing on it.

You could buy a 10,000 dollar machine and you would not get cutscene textures. Medium Setting is a good as it gets and as long as you have a system that can handle it the game looks great.

cutscene graphics will never be available outside cutscenes.

Then why are there distinct "medium" and "high" settings in the current client, with one of them being silently swept under the rug on the test server?

Then why were these "cutscene graphics" available for a short period during the beta?

Then why do all of the official promotional images for this game show "cutscene" texture resolutions on characters that are clearly not always in cutscenes?

Your definition of "great" is relative, and, a rare feat for an opinion, completely wrong. It's 2012. This game released two weeks before the end of 2011. Look at Figure A in my linked screencap and tell me what part of that is "great".

---Additional commentary unrelated to any particular previous post---

If the removal of "medium" from the test build was really a "let's just avoid confusion until we fix the problem" and not a "let's pretend this isn't a problem at all, and go light some of our new moneypile, built partially upon false advertising, on fire for the hell of it!" then Bioware should handle it differently. They should at least tell us they're going to fix it.

When you click the legacy tab, you can see your legacy name and a giant, digital post-it note that says "We totally didn't include this part of the game yet, but we will." Why not do that for the 'new' texture options?

Texture: Low, Medium, High - Currently Unavailable/Coming Soon

Why make it look as if only two texture options were ever even on the table?

Pretty sure you're incorrect.

The person you're replying to doesn't possess the faculties to realize that the "cutscenes" are not movies but are actually rendered by the engine in real time, thus they use textures that ARE in the game just not accessible.

That is when every mmo site WILL be informed if they haven't already.

With as much publicity and forum posts that this issue has gotten? Half the grandmas of the player base now about this lol. Im sure it's a good chunk of the lost subscriptions (even if most of the information given was misleading).

I just wish I had had the system I have now back when I thought this was a serious issue. Now I know better >.>

The person you're replying to doesn't possess the faculties to realize that the "cutscenes" are not movies but are actually rendered by the engine in real time, thus they use textures that ARE in the game just not accessible.

I do not see this as an issue anymore so it is a mute point lol. Why would I think cutscenese wre movies..I know what a movie is.

It won't matter when the PTR change is implemented so..you guys can complain all you want. Won't change anything.

I do not see this as an issue anymore so it is a mute point lol. Why would I think cutscenese wre movies..I know what a movie is.

It won't matter when the PTR change is implemented so..you guys can complain all you want. Won't change anything.

How will it not matter? The issue still exists. This thread isn't going anywhere, and this issue will be addressed unless Bioware wants to lose subscriptions.

It boggles my mind why anyone would actually be AGAINST bringing the high-res textures from beta back. People who take this stance must just be trying to get a rise out of others.

Another example for you, I think this chest piece makes it especially obvious:

http://i42.tinypic.com/fkmc8w.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/11h6xyv.jpg

This is on all settings maxed out, notice that it's the exact same pic, anyone who chalks this up to lighting is either trolling hard or is in serious denial.

Edited by Dubabob

This wouldn't be as big of an issue if it didn't seem like they were trying so hard to hide it. If anything they should remove High from the dropdown menu with just low medium showing and simply fess up to the fact that high testures are unavailable at this time.

You can see the high textures by previewing gear on your companion, jesus. You don't need to waste time on the holo switch to get screen shots.

You can get much clearer pictures from the holo, though, because you have control over the camera and zoom. It's one thing to show a blurry, smallish paper doll and then a crisp, high rez paper doll, and then it's another thing to show a giant soupy mess and then a closeup of the "correct" texturing.

Not to mention that the player's gear preview is (shockingly) even lower-res than the in-game render, so you'd have to compare your in-game render to the companion preview window, and seeing as how some folks still insist the whole mess is all because of lighting, we really can't afford to base our comparison shots off of two separate sources.

How will it not matter? The issue still exists. This thread isn't going anywhere, and this issue will be addressed unless Bioware wants to lose subscriptions.

It boggles my mind why anyone would actually be AGAINST bringing the high-res textures from beta back. People who take this stance must just be trying to get a rise out of others.

I am not againts bringing back high-res textures. I know exactly why they were taken out and I am knowledgable enough to understand the reasons behind it. I have a system that displays normal graphics just fine (only slightly worse quality then cutscenes) and I think it looks great.

So your choice is to either unsubscribe, like a lot of us have done, or deal with it. BW decided to completely remove the high res textures option for a reason. They do not do things like that unless it cannot be fixed, it cannot be fixed anytime soon, or they are intentionally changing the way the graphics in the game work.

Pretty simple really....

Edited by Aisar

This wouldn't be as big of an issue if it didn't seem like they were trying so hard to hide it. If anything they should remove High from the dropdown menu with just low medium showing and simply fess up to the fact that high testures are unavailable at this time.

THis is the biggest thing for me. We need an official answer on this, not some cryptic patch that changed medium to high. We're not daft.

I am not againts bringing back high-res textures. I know exactly why they were taken out and I am knowledgable enough to understand the reasons behind it. I have a system that displays normal graphics just fine (only slightly worse quality then cutscenes) and I think it looks great.

So your choice is to either unsubscribe, like a lot of us have done, or deal with it. BW decided to completely remove the high res textures option for a reason. They do not do things like that unless it cannot be fixed, it cannot be fixed anytime soon, or they are intentionally changing the way the graphics in the game work.

Pretty simply really....

If you are so knowledgeable, enlighten us. Otherwise please vacate the thread.

Edited by BeeblesTV

THis is the biggest thing for me. We need an official answer on this, not some cryptic patch that changed medium to high. We're not daft.

I have replies on 50 of the 107 pages of this thread. Try looking lol.

Edited by Aisar

Good thing beta is a place where nothing is permenant >.> Also I think they can test pretty much anything they want in beta..

I develop software for a living, I know how the beta process works - it's not a "hey wouldn't it be great if..." phase. If they were in the beta, they were supposed to be in the game. If they were taken out prior to release, most likely it means that they couldn't work something out before the release date, or they couldn't get acceptable performance on a recommended-spec machine (with this particular issue, this is more likely). It also means that it's quite possible to bring them back, even if only uber-machines will get good framerates.

Edited by eskachig

Precisely, if it simply isn't technically possible anytime soon, then say so, but don't treat us like idiots. Relationship between player and dev is incredibly important in an MMO. Those of you who accept it, and feel Bioware doesn't owe us a single word on it, are the reason that MMOs degrade in quality. How else are we to hold them accountable? They have to think of customers as share holders, because we are giving you a constant stream of money. If they treat this like any old product, sell it to me, and not worry about the after because they got my money, then they don't deserve my sub.

Pretty simple really....

The problem is that they're morally compelled to explain to their customers why they make a choice like that. I don't care if they don't HAVE to, they SHOULD and they're not doing it. I don't believe for a second that it's not possible, seeing as 99% of games released in the last year and even much further back have better textures than TOR. If it's a problem that is going to take forever, they need to tell us that instead of pretending it's not an issue.

No thanks, if you have some information that the rest of us aren't privy to then you can post it here to make your point. Otherwise you're just wasting time.

Luckily I do not need your approval or anyone else's to voice my opinion. Do you actually have anything to say besides you do not like what im saying?

The problem is that they're morally compelled to explain to their customers why they make a choice like that. I don't care if they don't HAVE to, they SHOULD and they're not doing it. I don't believe for a second that it's not possible, seeing as 99% of games released in the last year and even much further back have better textures than TOR. If it's a problem that is going to take forever, they need to tell us that instead of pretending it's not an issue.

And this is exactly why I unsubscribed on the 4th. That is how pretty much how I feel.

And this is exactly why I unsubscribed on the 4th. That is how pretty much how I feel.

The fact that the new patch adds AA support gives me hope. I'm having fun playing it, but the fun is being tainted by Bioware's awful relationship with their fans.

Luckily I do not need your approval or anyone else's to voice my opinion. Do you actually have anything to say besides you do not like what im saying?

Of course I do. This entire thread is voicing what I'm saying.

Unsubscribing is an option of course, but some of us love this game enough to keep playing despite this issue. It doesn't change the fact that we want an explanation from Bioware on why it must be this way.

You come into the thread, claiming to know the answer, yet you will not provide it. That makes you look like a troll. Provide some evidence for your claims as to why it will never be possible if you want us to take you seriously.