Posting this here because it matters to those here.

Seterade

Naive people...

PVP and this Bioware team have a bad relationship ever since launch as they always make the worst decisions possible for this community....

I hope you don't expect miracles now after 8 years. Resources are limited and PVP/Ranked will be the bottom of the priority list.

Edited by DavidAtkinson

Naive people...

PVP and this Bioware team have a bad relationship ever since launch as they always make the worst decisions possible for this community....

I hope you don't expect miracles now after 8 years. Resources are limited and PVP/Ranked will be the bottom of the priority list.

I wasn't expecting a miracle. I just wanted another season before 6.0. Now that means season 11 will end up being what, 8 months? So much for 3-4 month seasons.

I wasn't expecting a miracle. I just wanted another season before 6.0. Now that means season 11 will end up being what, 8 months? So much for 3-4 month seasons.

lets be honest for a second. putting aside that fact that they promised 6 month seasons from now on (Im 90% certain it was a 6 month claim not 3-4) making season 12 solely 6.0 meta with 6.0 pvp gear mechanics (whatever they will be) will be better than half the seasons rating being based a outdated gear system and old meta.

long story short, I dont have any issue waiting a month or two more for a fair elo. ((oh course I wont be doing ranked till launch but thats niether here nor there, I would have perferred this approach even if I was.)

Edited by Seterade

I understand,but you don't have realistic expectations...

Also, considering that 6.0 will be most likely delayed this season is going to last a while...

https://ootinicast.com/2019/05/ootinicast-episode-361/

1:09.XX

It's more likely to be max bolster over expertise according to this dev interview

if you listen further to 1:13.xx they say ranked 12 will be 6.0 launch *after*

Max bolster could be a good thing if these new items are going to be grindy. Gear grind + tac item grind is probably too much.

All I'm hoping is that tactical items are not going to be some kind of p2w/not p2w garbage based on other f2p games where you get it and then have to rank it up and break through, etc. That would be the end for me, definitively.

(Like CC PVP artifact, needs X item to level it up, but there's an X% chance the breakthrough fails, unless you buy this item from the CM). I really, really, really hope that tactical items aren't going to be like that.

I also like the max Bolster ideas and have been a proponent of it for a very long time.

But I do hope that we will still be able to play around with our secondary stats to make a build that we prefer.

Also, even though it was mentioned that season 12 would be in 6.0, it did not say when season 11 would end.

It’s quite possible that it will end well before 6.0 and then have a few months of preseason. I think that could be a good thing because the preseason saw a lot more people trying out ranked in a less toxic environment.

What we should clarify with Bioware is when will season 11 end. If they have plans to run it right up to 6.0, then we need to give them feed back on how we all feel about that. And possibly suggest a longer preseason before 6.0 (if you like that idea).

I think complaining about it based on 3rd party info is dangerous. We need some official announcement or clarification before we start a flame war about it.

All I'm hoping is that tactical items are not going to be some kind of p2w/not p2w garbage based on other f2p games where you get it and then have to rank it up and break through, etc. That would be the end for me, definitively.

(Like CC PVP artifact, needs X item to level it up, but there's an X% chance the breakthrough fails, unless you buy this item from the CM). I really, really, really hope that tactical items aren't going to be like that.

Anything p2w will kill pvp in this game. I would literally unsub the day it’s announced or I find out about it, the door wouldn’t even have time to hit me on the way out.

Also, even though it was mentioned that season 12 would be in 6.0, it did not say when season 11 would end.

It’s quite possible that it will end well before 6.0 and then have a few months of preseason. I think that could be a good thing because the preseason saw a lot more people trying out ranked in a less toxic environment.

That was only 2 weeks though. The only reason I played during those 2 weeks was because those were the first weeks where the monumental crystals were available from solo ranked, and I wanted to get my 258 weapons as soon as possible. I suspect that's why a lot of others who don't normally play ranked also started queueing.

If they implemented a months long preseason, I would probably just stop playing until the next season starts, because it would cease to be a competitive environment and would just turn into regs where people don't care about trying to win.

That was only 2 weeks though. The only reason I played during those 2 weeks was because those were the first weeks where the monumental crystals were available from solo ranked, and I wanted to get my 258 weapons as soon as possible. I suspect that's why a lot of others who don't normally play ranked also started queueing.

If they implemented a months long preseason, I would probably just stop playing until the next season starts, because it would cease to be a competitive environment and would just turn into regs where people don't care about trying to win.

I can see how you would feel about that. But don’t you think it would be good to get some fresh blood into ranked so we’ve got more people to play with.

There are a lot of people who won’t enter ranked because they don’t want to negatively affect other people’s ratings or get flamed if they do.

With my lag, I often have problems getting globaled when DCDs don’t activate. So I’m often reluctant to go into ranked because I dont want to let the team down. If I had less lag, I would always be queueing ranked.

But preseason is different. It gives me the opportunity to get used to the lag without affecting anyone. So when the season starts, I’ve honed my skills enough to compensate for the lag (which you can’t do in regs).

You also have the problem that arena won’t pop in regs anymore unless the queue population is low. So even if it pops, you may only get muppets and it’s impossible for people to learn properly.

Even though preseason may seem like regs to more experienced ranked players, it allows people who want to play ranked a place to see if they like it and hone skills/tactics without affecting others.

I’ll use Banderal as a example (if I can) because he posted his experiences last preseason and his progress in season 11. He started to play preseason and increased his confidence and skill enough to stick around for season 11. He is a great example of how preseason can be beneficial for the whole ranked community.

Many people may want to play or try out ranked, but lack the confidence due to the ELO and toxic environment in an actual season, so they avoid trying it or if they do try it and don’t do well instantly, stop playing it.

I really do understand why a seasoned ranked player like yourself may not find preseason enticing, but it has so many positive flow on benefits for you in the long run for only a small sacrifice on your part. You could even take the opportunity to mentor some players in preseason so they get better :D. This is what happens in RL sports and it’s why they have preseasons to begin with

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Max bolster could be a good thing if these new items are going to be grindy. Gear grind + tac item grind is probably too much.

Naa, no way. Say what you will about BioWare, they don't do P2W. You can always get things that give an advantage/bonus in game.

I know what you mean about those types of items in other games. They do with Legendary items in LOTRO.

That's annoying as hell.

Naa, no way. Say what you will about BioWare, they don't do P2W. You can always get things that give an advantage/bonus in game.

I know what you mean about those types of items in other games. They do with Legendary items in LOTRO.

That's annoying as hell.

Yep. I don't mind it if the game is truly free-to-play (I think Aion had something like that, for example), since I figure, well, they have to make money somehow. But SWTOR is not free-to-play, not by a long shot. There's no way I'm paying a sub and gameplay-related microtransactions, lol. I hope you're right about BioWare.

Done right, tactical items can be great. Done wrong, worse than bad.

(Man, anyone remember Ren and Stimpy? Now I have the log song in my head for some reason.)

Yep. I don't mind it if the game is truly free-to-play (I think Aion had something like that, for example), since I figure, well, they have to make money somehow. But SWTOR is not free-to-play, not by a long shot. There's no way I'm paying a sub and gameplay-related microtransactions, lol. I hope you're right about BioWare.

Done right, tactical items can be great. Done wrong, worse than bad.

(Man, anyone remember Ren and Stimpy? Now I have the log song in my head for some reason.)

"It's Log! It's Log! It's better than bad, it's good!"

=]

I have some concerns about tacticals, anyone who was around long enough will remember the skill trees. They were awesome, they added a lot of spice to things, I mean who doesn't like options in a RPG? The more the better. The only problem was there were SO many variables and possible combinations it made it almost impossible to iron out balance problems that arose from so many possibilities and ultimately they did away with skill trees because of it.

I have similar concerns with tactical items. They may prove to be unwarranted, we still lack a lot of the specifics about them, hopefully they limited the amount of choices possible with an eye to lessons learned from the skill trees and kept balance issues at the forefront of thier design.

They could be very cool and add something to the game, I am excited about em, but, it's a bit tempered because of the concerns. I got my fingers crossed. I'd hate to have to look back to the 'good ole days of 5.x balance' fondly. :D

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx

I really do understand why a seasoned ranked player like yourself may not find preseason enticing, but it has so many positive flow on benefits for you in the long run for only a small sacrifice on your part. You could even take the opportunity to mentor some players in preseason so they get better :D. This is what happens in RL sports and it’s why they have preseasons to begin with

I'm not opposed to a short preseason. I just wouldn't want a months long preseason.

Also, if I were sure that having an extended preseason would bring all of the benefits that you describe, I would be all for it, but I'm not really convinced it would. Again, last preseason had the incentive of monumental crystals being new. Now, probably most that want them have their 258 weapons. Maybe there are enough people that would still queue ranked for the practice, or because they're new, etc. I don't know. But what if a few weeks into this long preseason everyone just stops queueing because there's no incentive to continue?

What about for fun and enjoyment?

I mean, you might be right. I don't know. Seems a bit optimistic though. And again, just speaking for myself, but a lot of the fun and enjoyment I get from ranked is that it's a competitive game mode. The thing that makes it competitive is that there's elo at stake (which could be replaced by some other system that could achieve the same affect, but there does have to be something on the line). When you take that away, you take a chunk of the competitiveness away, and therefore a chunk of the fun away, at least for me.

lets be honest for a second. putting aside that fact that they promised 6 month seasons from now on (Im 90% certain it was a 6 month claim not 3-4) making season 12 solely 6.0 meta with 6.0 pvp gear mechanics (whatever they will be) will be better than half the seasons rating being based a outdated gear system and old meta.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9619607

So we are sort of both right. Eric said 3-6, but that 3 is the goal. Either way 7-8 months is longer than 6 months. I guess it's not that egregious, but still annoying. They could have ended season 11 with 5.10.3 and still had another 3 month season before 6.0.

Edited by JediMasterAlex

For the record, they stated after s9 that they were hoping for 3-6-month long seasons. S10 was almost 7 months long, and this season is on track to be just as long or even longer. They've made claims in the past for shorter seasons as well, but I don't think they've ever delivered on them. The past few seasons have been over half a year to almost a year long.

David is right that we're naive if we think things are gonna change for the better. Just look at the past year on this forum - it's dying in activity and it's become nothing but a complaint cove about wintraders.

And let us not forget bolster. Bolster breaks constantly. Plus, if your item level is just one tier below (even with augs) another team's in ranked that's stacked in full 258s + augs, you're extremely squishy and bolster does NOT help mitigate that divide. While I'm not against max bolster, they really need to finetune it to make sure it works like when we min/max our gear.

Lastly, they could also make the new gear grind and tactical items (or at least the latter) gated behind sub-only, just as they did with GC and RNG gearing, essentially making it a pseudo-p2w.

Edited by ColorfulCaiques

Not sure what they "promised" though shorter seasons would be nice. But I just can't see them doing shorter than 6 months. They're already recycling old pvp rewards. I imagine the titles/rewards will steadily get worse as they run out of inspiration season after season.

max bolster is good

For the record, they stated after s9 that they were hoping for 3-6-month long seasons. S10 was almost 7 months long, and this season is on track to be just as long or even longer. .
7 months is a huge improvement over where things had been the previous couple seasons

I’ll use Banderal as a example (if I can) because he posted his experiences last preseason and his progress in season 11. He started to play preseason and increased his confidence and skill enough to stick around for season 11. He is a great example of how preseason can be beneficial for the whole ranked community.

Hey, I was ignoring this whole thread, and then my name shows up! I'm famous! :p

I'm not sure my participation was considered "beneficial" by some of the people in ranked, but yeah, I didn't get too many complaints. If I were forced to admit it, I probably get more help and more welcome, than I did complaints. I stopped when the complaints I did get started to turn ME into the jerk. :(

I started pre-season because I decided to finally get 252/258 gear, and then the combo of 2 specific things. 1. I had to either grind ossus or do ranked pvp to get ossus rep, and "pve - I'd rather watch paint dry" 2. Preseason meant I could do ranked pvp without killing anyone's elo.

For me, the only reason I would have wanted preseason to be longer was so that I could have geared better before the actual season started. Even though the raw stats (as reported on the character sheet) are not that different between bolster and 258... perception of skill is. Someone in 252 is a prime candidate for "focus them first", and if I'm new AND in 252, people learn quickly that I'm the weak link. :( IMO, getting used to ranked play is hard enough without also being the first one focused every time. (It's also why I think gearing up should not be through ranked to begin with.)

After the season started, I decided to stick with ranked PvP as long as I felt like I wasn't completely outclassed. Trying to be honest with myself, I was definitely not great, but I felt like I was learning and getting better. As I've stated before, my personal opinion about ranked is that anyone who is actively trying and is making progress should be welcomed in ranked if they show up. I know and accept that's not how everyone feels, so I'll just leave it there - but that's why I felt it was valid for me to stay in ranked play.