Crit vs Power

Elric_VIII

Which secondary stat is worth while to build for each sorcerer discipline?

Corruption: I have skills that increase my crit chance. Should I go for maximizing this or should I focus on making the crits I do get heal harder via power?

Lightning: I have skills that trigger off crits and increase crit damage. Should I focus on more powerful crits or more frequent crits?

Madness: The DoT nature of this gives me more chances to crit (creating a more normal distribution). Is it worth it to forgo crit chance in favor of more even damage?

I currently play Corruption/Madness hybrid for PvE and I have been focusing on crits, but I'm not fully leveled, so there's room for change. I have also been thinking of converting to a Madness spec from a predominantly Corruption build once the new system hits. If I were to switch between the two, would you focus crit or power?

That's a funny thread..... OP clearly said :

Which suggest a question about 3.0... Then someone give an answer.... That is not really informative.

First... If this is really about 3.0. We don't know the new stat formula.. So we can't theory craft which gear would do more damage.

Second if this is about 2.x... In PvE, geared in full 180, you want around 100 crit rating in Lightning, 300 in Madness and 300-350 in Corruption. The hybrid Madness/Corruption (non-viable and deleted in less than 6 weeks) shouldn't field any crit. Parasitism isn't enough to neglect raw damage for crits. In PvP, you will want about the same in all spec but Corruption where it goes down to about 200.

One cannot ust shout crit% like this. crit% change with your gear level and main stat.

I find it curious that you would suggest higher crit for healer sorcs than dps. While it's true that small amounts provide a decent benefit (~6% at 325 rating), there are some strong arguments against crit:

- Reliability: more of a generic argument, but crits tend to be less useful in PvE

- Bubble: a considerable part of our healing does not benefit from crit at all

After all, do you really need a handful more Force Surge procs during a boss fight?

Crit is not as important as power for healers. You can't be hoping and relying on crits that never come. You need steady, predictable amounts of healing.

I think only Balance could make a case for crit. (Telekinetics gets autocrit Turbulence and you can safely increase power over crit because of it)

Corruption: I have skills that increase my crit chance. Should I go for maximizing this or should I focus on making the crits I do get heal harder via power?

Lightning: I have skills that trigger off crits and increase crit damage. Should I focus on more powerful crits or more frequent crits?

Madness: The DoT nature of this gives me more chances to crit (creating a more normal distribution). Is it worth it to forgo crit chance in favor of more even damage?

I currently play Corruption/Madness hybrid for PvE and I have been focusing on crits, but I'm not fully leveled, so there's room for change. I have also been thinking of converting to a Madness spec from a predominantly Corruption build once the new system hits. If I were to switch between the two, would you focus crit or power?

Each discipline? No one really knows since no one knows how skills, abilities, and stats will be tweaked with the level increase.

Currently: Healers want a bit of crit in their gear, but much more power. Optimally keep crit around 100-200ish, but remember, more stat, is better than less of the optimal stat. 0 Crit is no longer optimal in the higher gear like it was in arkanian. You do want at least as much alacrity as surge at a minimum. Most people have 6 alacrity pieces to 4 surge pieces. Some run 7a/3s and some run 5a/5s. Use the ratio that feels right for you.

Similarly middle tree wants a bit of crit to optimize the crit/power tradeoff. Similar numbers to healing around 100-200ish crit should be good.

Right tree wants more crit since there is no auto crit and the tree gets bonuses to surge values. There is nothing wrong with having 400 crit in this spec. And no one should have less than 200.

Also note that swapping a piece of power to crit when optimized might be something like a 10DPS (or hps) loss. But if that piece is higher level and has more stats on it, you end up getting more DPS from the stat boost than you lose from the switch to the less optimal stat.

I guess "discipline" was probably a poor choice of words considering the upcoming change. By that I just meant the 3 trees. I didn't think stat calculations would be affected in this new patch. I was led to believe this change was mostly a removal of non-essential parts of the trees to a secondary progression. My assumption was that it would not significantly change the stat priorities.

Thank you for the advice.

I guess "discipline" was probably a poor choice of words considering the upcoming change. By that I just meant the 3 trees. I didn't think stat calculations would be affected in this new patch. I was led to believe this change was mostly a removal of non-essential parts of the trees to a secondary progression. My assumption was that it would not significantly change the stat priorities.

Thank you for the advice.

Well the thing that not everyone realizes is that the stat curves are different for each level. So by changing to level 60, they will be inherently different. When we went from 50-55 when the patch came out my stats were the same... until I hit level 51, and it gradually changed to the "new" formulas by the time I hit 55. Also, most of my abilities had a new rank between 50 and 55, which also meant, new numbers to run since now base damage and bonus damage multipliers were different. Since those affect what you get out of power and crit, those will be important things for people to consider before declaring a new stat priority as the best.

I am under the assumption that each spec will get at least one new ability. Since we really have no real info about theses abilities, we cannot get accurate calculations. I also assume that new ranks of abilities will show up for class abilities, and that abilities granted in the tree (like sever force (creeping darkness) and turbulence (thundering blast) will have their numbers adjusted to simulate a new rank. The formulas for stats like crit, surge, accuracy, alacrity, shield, defense, absorbtion, and the crit from mainstat will probably all be slightly adjusted to account for the higher level gear having a higher expected amount of stats.

I hope this makes sense. =þ

sorcerers and sages got a very good advantage - bonus damage scaling

we are the only class without weapondamage based abilities. Because of this, our damage calculcation differs from other classes.

Long story short: our spells got a bigger coefficient for bonus damage, which makes stacking power better than crit.

100 crit vs 100 power is not worth thinking, but 300crit 100power vs 300power 100crit is a major difference.

Edited by Citruzz

sorcerers and sages got a very good advantage - bonus damage scaling

we are the only class without weapondamage based abilities. Because of this, our damage calculcation differs from other classes.

Long story short: our spells got a bigger coefficient for bonus damage, which makes stacking power better than crit.

100 crit vs 100 power is not worth thinking, but 300crit 100power vs 300power 100crit is a major difference.

The evidence doesnt really support this claim. Gunslingers seem to be the ones who love power the most. Telekinetcs (middle tree) likes a lot of power, but optimal is not 0 crit. Balance (right tree) wants quite a bit of crit, as in everyone I know who does nightmare has between 350 and 550 crit. Remember, as your bonus damage goes higher, your benefit from each crit goes up as well. So the higher your bonus damage, the more crit you want to have. Which is why your gearing strategy in arkanian is not the same as it is now in dread master.

The evidence doesnt really support this claim. Gunslingers seem to be the ones who love power the most. Telekinetcs (middle tree) likes a lot of power, but optimal is not 0 crit. Balance (right tree) wants quite a bit of crit, as in everyone I know who does nightmare has between 350 and 550 crit. Remember, as your bonus damage goes higher, your benefit from each crit goes up as well. So the higher your bonus damage, the more crit you want to have. Which is why your gearing strategy in arkanian is not the same as it is now in dread master.

In full optimized 186s, every point crit rating above 204 results in a dps loss. 0 critrating is stronger than 350 critrating, because of the reduced bonus damage and diminishing return.

408+ < 340 < 0 < 68 < 272 < 136 < 204

Edited by Citruzz