Uses for Extrication?

Nmyownworld

I have two Sith Sorcerers. Level 55 specc'd in Corruption, and a level 46 specc'd in Lightning. I play PVE.

When should I use Extrication?

I watched a video of a Flashpoint (don't remember which one) where the Sorc healer used Extrication to pull a ranged DPS away from a gold boss whose AoE was doing a lot of damage.

I'd guess there are PvP situations where Extrication can do the same thing.

I've read about Extrication being used to pull other players to a particular location, like for certain Datacrons.

Are there other times when Extrication is best used? Except for saving other players from having to climb up to a location, is there ever a time where using Extrication is a good idea? I question pulling another player to my Sorc's location during a fight, unless it's being coordinated through some sort of voice chat program or a preset strategy, "use Extrication if xyz happens to my character," for example.

I appreciate any insight about Extrication. I've been wondering if I've been under utilizing this ability.

Edited by Nmyownworld

It's mainly a PvP ability in my opinion. Though, it can be useful in PvE at times.

Like you said, pulling someone out of AoE or other deadly area.

If someone gets stuck in an object.

Pulling people up who have feel down areas of the map.

Lowering threat of a DPS.

it's really situational. PvP however.. it's a great tool. Pulling ball carriers in huttball, pulling players to safety in 4v4 Team Deathmatch etc.

Thanks for the response, Jayshames!

I hadn't thought about using it to help someone who is stuck. I'm so bad at jumping, I'm far more in need of someone using Extrication on me. Spent an hour in one of the Seeker Droid instances (Arcanium?) jumping and falling. While my companion stood by, staring at me as though wondering what the problem was. Ugh.

Now I can stop looking at Extrication and wondering if I should be doing something more with it. :cool:

Edited by Nmyownworld

In my experience, during a fight Extrication should only be used to get people out of AoE or move them to where they need to be. For example:

1) During the Grobthok fight in Dread Fortress dps/tanks occasionally get stuck under the claw magnet if they aren't paying attention. Their stun breaker skill won't save them, so the only way to get them out before the magnet breaks is to use Extricate. You can also Extricate people who aren't paying attention and are standing in the lava puddles.

2) During the Calphayus fight in Dread Palace you might need to use your pull on people who aren't going to the correct portal.

3) During the Kephess fight in Explosive Conflict you can use Extricate on the person who is planting the bomb on the Walker after they have started the animation of ziplining up to its belly. This pulls them out from under the Walker early, thus preventing most of the AoE damage they would normally take during the animation, but the game still acts as if planting the bomb has succeeded.

Even though Extricate has the tooltip saying it lowers threat, you should never use it for that purpose. All DPS have agro drop skills they can use that are plenty effective for lowering their threat. If you Extricate a DPS just to lower their agro you will only piss them off because you interrupted their rotation.

Extricate can also be used to pull people to the +10 Datacron if you set it up right!

Is that the one on Fleet? Getting all of the Datacrons is on my SWTOR to-do list. :)

Even though Extricate has the tooltip saying it lowers threat, you should never use it for that purpose. All DPS have agro drop skills they can use that are plenty effective for lowering their threat. If you Extricate a DPS just to lower their agro you will only piss them off because you interrupted their rotation.

I always thought the threat lowering aspect of Extrication was about making sure that whatever bad situation a player is being extricated from (if it's mobile) doesn't follow that player straight to the Sorc.

With groups, I've only been in PuG or Group Finder groups, so I've never even considered using Extrication in those situations. Suddenly snatching a strange player ... I don't know how they play, and they (if they've never played a Sorc to a high enough level) might not realize what happened. They might think it was a mobs doing a knockback. I know if I were playing a ranged DPS and had activated defensive abilities that required me to stay in place, or was channeling a big damage dealing attack, and I was then unexpectedly Extricated in the midst of all that, I'd be unhappy about it.

Glad to have the feedback about Extrication. Thank you all! :)

It's actually one of the best group utility skills in the game. Unfortunately it requires teamwork and an extremely high spatial awareness to maximize its effectiveness.

Regardless its best uses, by far, are Huttball and Arena. It has practicality elsewhere but nowhere near the same level as those two.

Edited by Xeraz

Best personal experience with Rescue/Extricate:

Fighting Zorn and Toth. DPS gets yellow circle for berserk. Runs the wrong way. Everyone yells at him.

1. Force Speed to behind Toth

2. Rescue derpy DPS into position

3. Circle turns purple the instant he arrives

4. ?????

5. Profit

This single situation made me love Rescue, and I keep it on my bar at all times, just in case.

Oh...

Sometimes I get teammates that I really just don't like. That I wish I could kill...

Sometimes we get huttballs together.

Sometimes I accidentally pull one of those people into the fire.

Every time they die.

And of course saving your favorite healer from the pylon explosion if they're slowed or rooted outside, even if you're leaving your best friend on his assassin to day while you /laugh at him...

It's good for pulling the ball carrier to safe or tactical spots in HB, saving people from rape, saving people from being knocked off voidstar (My poor friend... knocked off, intercede to me, knocked off right after, I pull him up and he pushes the still-living knocker down. It was great.)

people get mad when you pull them..got multiple rants for pulling out people from bestia pools..yeah sure, you totally saw that

I use it in pvp to pull people out of line of site when they are being focus fired.

Many times when it is clear I saved them with 10 health left and I heal them up they charge back in, die, and blame me for getting them killed.

People are dumb.

Oh...

Sometimes I get teammates that I really just don't like. That I wish I could kill...

Sometimes we get huttballs together.

Sometimes I accidentally pull one of those people into the fire.

Every time they die.

And of course saving your favorite healer from the pylon explosion if they're slowed or rooted outside, even if you're leaving your best friend on his assassin to day while you /laugh at him...

It's good for pulling the ball carrier to safe or tactical spots in HB, saving people from rape, saving people from being knocked off voidstar (My poor friend... knocked off, intercede to me, knocked off right after, I pull him up and he pushes the still-living knocker down. It was great.)

Would love to see that one hahaha

• 2 weeks later...

you should not be pulling people out of aoe's in pve. your dps should not be standing in aoe's. might as well let them die, because letting them continue with your group drags everyone down.

extricate is best used to pull teammates into lava, or to pull them next to droids that are about to blowup. it's also useful to help them drop their threat, if they need their threat dropped. the last fight on explosive conflict has a part where extricate is useful. you can pull afk or d/c'ed people along with the group.

also, quite useful in a variety of situations in pvp.

• 4 weeks later...
Uses for extrication? PvP. Anything else is only if other people REALLY screw up, and even then it's still risky. I've struggled for a year to find a good solid use for it in operations. Conclusion: there is none. Oh boy, I can save a derpy PUG from a single situation. Too bad that cool down lasts forever, and if derpy PUG does it once, he's sure to do it again long before extricate comes off CD. It's really not that good. I'd like it better if it was a threat dump OR a pull, but not both. Threat dump = get boss off DPS without stopping his DPS. Pull = save someone from bad situation without ruining the aggro table. Pull + threat dump = not good at either one.

I use it to pull people into the exploding druids in DF as I force speed away. Good times!

Best use or best use? :D

A buddy and I also used it to chain pull a DC'ed Guildie through a Flashpoint once so we wouldn't have to wait on him when he re-connected.

Was playing my Jugg tank last night and at the first boss on CZ Labs (droid in electric water) the sorc healer Extricated me! It was the first round of electric water and I was just fine at 90% HP and the rest of the group was even higher. OMG, that is such a pet peeve of mine. Reduces my threat and puts me out of position.....bad things for a tank. I was surprised and PISSED! To me this is just as bad, if not worse than a sorc using forcewave to scatter all the mobs away from me and out of my aoe.

I took a moment......then very calmly typed "please don't extricate me". Luckily, the sorc read it, obeyed and all went well for the rest. I would have kicked him if he did it again, and failing the kick I would have quit.

Just be sure that you warn the tank if you might use extricate on him, or only reserve it for when the tank is really gonna die. Like below 5%, and standing in stupid. Either that or just never use it on a tank. It's bad bad bad for tanks.

PS - may main is sorc healz and I almost never use extricate. I got screamed at by a tank, when I was leveling and I thought I was "saving" him, and that cured me. >: )