"Decisions" affect nothing but the next few words out of an NPCs mouth

al_giordino

Seriously... Where is the role playing of a UNIQUE character? Decisions mean nothing. In most MMOs you find your own way to max level through multiple unique paths that you can choose from. By the time you get there, you've role played a unique experience of your own design and choosing, and have an emotional attachment to your character. In SWTOR, everyone is the same and "decisions" have no bearing except to hear a few different words! I mean think about it, everyone of your class has the same EXACT story, same exact companions, same exact ship, etc... I want to role play a unique character and make my own story... Edited by al_giordino

Last I checked, the story itself was a "few words". Yes, its the same basic events, but some context changes throughout that makes the difference. Because in the end, the uniqueness while still having a lot of content comes down to differences in context. Which make a huge difference, and creates a much greater amount of uniqueness that you give credit for.

Really, thats even only from a story point of view. As for the quality of complaint, this would fall under the "grasping at straws" category. Anyone with half a clue would understand how much more work it would have taken to create branching stories that are unrelated. Think a third of the content we have now at best in the time frame they made it.

Edited by LX_Theo

You could say the same about any single-player RPG. It doesn't make it any less interesting for people that enjoy RPGs. And this is, after all, an RPG. It's the first MMORPG that I've played in a long that hasn't forgotten that fact.

I thought that decisions would make a difference kinda like in other bw titles (ME, kotor for example) Maybe something happens at the end as a result of my decisions? I haven't finished story yet but it seems the OP is correct.

But yeah, with the ammount of classes, two factions etc this isn't a realistic thing to expect.

Edited by Sconnoll

Last I checked, the story itself was a "few words". Yes, its the same basic events, but some context changes throughout that makes the difference. Because in the end, the uniqueness while still having a lot of content comes down to differences in context. Which make a huge difference, and creates a much greater amount of uniqueness that you give credit for.

Really, thats even only from a story point of view. As for the quality of complaint, this would fall under the "grasping at straws" category. Anyone with half a clue would understand how much more work it would have taken to create branching stories that are unrelated. Think a third of the content we have now at best in the time frame they made it.

Just because it would be more work, doesn't mean that they couldn't have gotten it done. Hire more people! It's not like they don't have the money.

We were told that we would have a great story and choice, and we sure have a great story, but choice is not there... not really. Short of getting light/dark side points or affection with companions, your choices mean jack. For grins, I took a jedi and went pure darkside, and it makes no difference.

I highly doubt that nearly half the community posting here is "grasping at straws" and just because you're fine with how it is, doesn't mean that everyone should be... that's some seriously flawed logic. Get a clue will ya?

This game is on some pretty solid rails. Anyone who claims otherwise has blinders on.

Yeah, it kinda bumped me out when I realized it doesn't matter what i choose as dialogue option. But its a rpg, i just pretend and go with it and pick choices that fit my character.

Its just like when I know I save a planet and get my 'rich' reward of 400 credits, its just a game. Or when I defeat the rebels, I didn't really do anything because the world remains exactly the same. Or at level 50 and defeated the Empire and become the hero of the republic .. well not really you didn't really do that.

The story and dialogues are just fluff. It adds flavor but ultimately is not meaningful in anyway.

The OP is correct. If you ignore the prerelease hype, it's not a huge deal, as others have pointed out.

Edit: boy my post feels extraneous with all the replies that came in while I was typing mine

Edited by rgsmith

There are a tiny handful of decisons that make a different, but not a huge one.

In particular, there are options to kill some characters. If you don't, they can send you messages later in the game. Or you can even meet up with them.

Not huge, I know. But it's something.

There are very complex problems with building a game with multiple paths. Regardless, i think they should have tried it.

You could say the same about any single-player RPG. It doesn't make it any less interesting for people that enjoy RPGs. And this is, after all, an RPG. It's the first MMORPG that I've played in a long that hasn't forgotten that fact.

Except single player RPGs do have the option to implement gameplay changing decisions. IE, ME2 is a perfect example of Shepard killing a companion and not use him ever or siding with certain factions that impact how the last events play out. I just can't expect something like that in a MMO however where you can't just reload a earlier save for a decision you change your mind over. We already have enough vitriol on the forums with players changing their minds on tree specs and AC choices.

Seriously... Where is the role playing of a UNIQUE character? Decisions mean nothing. In most MMOs you find your own way to max level through multiple unique paths that you can choose from. By the time you get there, you've role played a unique experience of your own design and choosing, and have an emotional attachment to your character. In SWTOR, everyone is the same and "decisions" have no bearing except to hear a few different words! I mean think about it, everyone of your class has the same EXACT story, same exact companions, same exact ship, etc... I want to role play a unique character and make my own story...

I'm unsure this may be true. I've made choices in a few quests that seem like they had some though small impact on further parts of the questline.

Storyline quest on Nar Shadaa. Sith Warrior. I found some Republic soldiers that my contact was fighting. I dealt with the contact then was told to deal with the Republic soldiers. My choices boiled down to (Kill them with some insane murderous comment) or (Kill them with some reluctance and show respect for them as warriors) or (Don't kill them but be owed a favor to call in at my choosing). I chose option 3.

Later in the Storyline quest I had to go up against a big ole meanie Sith Apprentice. I chose to call in my Favor with the Republic squad per Malavai's suggestion. They assisted in the kill part of the quest.

Granted, I could have soloed that Sith Apprentice (who I also got to bow to me and will use him later I hope), but it seemed more fitting for my toon to USE RESOURCES. If I had chosen to kill the Republic soldiers, I wouldn't have had that choice later. This isn't a huge impact on the story, but it's subtle enough for me to wonder what would happened if I chose another option.

The answers actually do have an effect on what the quest outcome is. I play a lot solo and then I go through with a different character and play with my wife. On some quests not all of them your answers do in fact change the outcome of the quests and what you have to do.

For example: On Dromund Kaas where you receive the quest for the shouting citizen to put an end to the random killings he's witnessed. When you approach the bounty hunter about what he has done you have a decision to make.

If you choose the lightside option you then have to go tag 4 Sith Apprentices.

If you choose the Darkside option you have to go tag the citizen to silence him.

This is just a small example of the changes, later in the game you have options that end the quest dead in it's tracks, or if you answer a particular way the quest giver will send you off to do another part of the quest.

I have...

50 Jedi Guardian

50 Scoundrel

32 Powertech

30 Sith Warrior

On each character I have tried different responses to NPC's and they do in fact change the quests, not all of them, but a substantial amount of them.

Edited by Darth-Doodle

Flirting and light/darkside choice absolutely do change your story quite a bit.

Early JK spoilers below...

For instance, as a Jedi Knight, you can choose to flirt with the matriarch of the Twilek village. Doing so makes it to where you can actually have relations with her later on in the quest line. If you choose not to flirt, the option does not appear later on. Also, choosing strictly lightside choices, you'll never get the chance to seduce Kira as a knight either.

So, while these things may not effect the story line on a grand scale, they most certaion make the first, and even second play through enjoyable. Playing as a lightside and then a darkside character can feel pretty different over all, if truth be told.

Just because it would be more work, doesn't mean that they couldn't have gotten it done. Hire more people! It's not like they don't have the money.

We were told that we would have a great story and choice, and we sure have a great story, but choice is not there... not really. Short of getting light/dark side points or affection with companions, your choices mean jack. For grins, I took a jedi and went pure darkside, and it makes no difference.

I highly doubt that nearly half the community posting here is "grasping at straws" and just because you're fine with how it is, doesn't mean that everyone should be... that's some seriously flawed logic. Get a clue will ya?

This game is on some pretty solid rails. Anyone who claims otherwise has blinders on.

I bet you were one of the guys telling them to hurry up and release the game a few months back. And now you want more.

Be happy you got something other then orcs, night elves, swords and shields...

I, for one, am loving the story so far.

Seriously... Where is the role playing of a UNIQUE character? Decisions mean nothing. In most MMOs you find your own way to max level through multiple unique paths that you can choose from. By the time you get there, you've role played a unique experience of your own design and choosing, and have an emotional attachment to your character. In SWTOR, everyone is the same and "decisions" have no bearing except to hear a few different words! I mean think about it, everyone of your class has the same EXACT story, same exact companions, same exact ship, etc... I want to role play a unique character and make my own story...

sorry, but until swtor, i've never had an emotional attachment to a character in an mmo. it was always just grinding out lvls.

There are a tiny handful of decisons that make a different, but not a huge one.

In particular, there are options to kill some characters. If you don't, they can send you messages later in the game. Or you can even meet up with them.

Not huge, I know. But it's something.

There are very complex problems with building a game with multiple paths. Regardless, i think they should have tried it.

This.....

"That willing suspension of disbelief for the moment, which constitutes poetic faith."

-Samuel Taylor Coleridge

WILLING

Get it? Got it? Good. Imagination is a muscle. Exercise it. Yes, BW is creating an illusion. Yes, a reasonably intelligent person can see thru the illusion. No, it wasn't possible to create several branching arcs for every single character. Yes, it's up to YOU, not BW, to willingly immerse yourself in it and let go of petty demands that the illusion cease being illusory and become reality. BW ran a 99 yard touchdown and your response is "yeah, well, it wasn't 100 yards." Lame.

Edited by Notannos
rude

I bet you were one of the guys telling them to hurry up and release the game a few months back. And now you want more.

Be happy you got something other then orcs, night elves, swords and shields...

I, for one, am loving the story so far.

Well now, that would be pure speculation wouldn't it?

I was definitely not in that camp of people.

Also, I tried to be happy with this game, but that feeling faded fast after I felt the extremely linear gameplay. I've always been one to spend ample amounts of time building other parts of my character.

I don't mind waiting it out a bit longer, but this game has some serious fundamental issues that if not fixed, will lead to it's downfall. I do NOT want to see this happen. People like yourself that say," just deal with it, there is no problem" aren't listening to a large part of the community. We all paid for it, if only half of the players are satified or better, then there is a problem. Believing that if you're good with it, then we all should be, is flawed logic.

I loved the story too, the first time, but try leveling alts on the same faction... I'm not sure if I could stand coruscant or taris or nar shadaa quests one more time. Tried crafting to get off the rail, didn't work. PvP is broken atm, and space missions are just recycled after the first 5.

I'll give it a solid chance, but after some time, I will give up if things don't improve (say around the time when it starts getting nice outside again.)

Edited by Snibb

"That willing suspension of disbelief for the moment, which constitutes poetic faith."

-Samuel Taylor Coleridge

WILLING

Get it? Got it? Good. Imagination is a muscle. Exercise it. Yes, BW is creating an illusion. Yes, a reasonably intelligent person can see thru the illusion. No, it wasn't possible to create several branching arcs for every single character. Yes, it's up to YOU, not BW, to willingly immerse yourself in it and let go of petty demands that the illusion cease being illusory and become reality. BW ran a 99 yard touchdown and your response is "yeah, well, it wasn't 100 yards." Lame.

Nice.

this game needs phasing, badly. it would tremendously help the story feel of the game. and given this games heavy reliance on story.....

people hate "that other game" for whatever reasons, but at least questing there feels like you are having an effect and changing the world some

Seeing as you can lose a possible ending depending on a certain choice as a IA, yes choices do matter. Sure, it's not the same for all classes and not as good as it could have been but choices do better and sometimes can help you.

No... just no. So much about that is so wrong...

First off all, the changes I've experienced through playthroughs are about as significant as any other game. Some quests change. Context behind whats happening changes. The immediate action after the decision. You often see major decisions have effects later in the story. This is from experience over 3 class stories so far and many RPGs over my life. Games, even in the single player realm, do not go much beyond what the game provides. Yet you expect more from an MMO?

And you do realize they already had a ton of people working on the game? Especially the writing. Given this is an MMO, anyone with any sense would make the design choice to make more content. In an MMO, they want to keep people playing as long as they can to keep subscriptions going. If you were designing an MMO, you'd have failed miserably. And don't try to quote sandbox games as more free to choose. Those do no more. All they do is give the illusion of choice by not giving any choice whatsoever and let you pretend to an even further extent (given you'd already be playing an MMO).

This is the most ridiculous complaint ever. Its like you expect the same ability to make decisions as you get in life or you won't be happy. Try to think of it from the perspective with have a wit enough to see why it was designed that way. If you can't get used to how video games simply are, then please go play pretend with your friends. At least then you won't have those silly restrictions you hate so much.