APAC character transfer: working with 'name placeholder' characters

StephenReid

So now I loose my main toons name to a a character that can only be a few days old...how is that fair...I know it places you in a difficult position as you don't want to upset either subscriber but I have done everything that was possible in the framework you allowed and I loose my mains name which is important to me.

Hey again - I'm sorry about that situation. Unfortunately there's nothing I can do directly. I've spoken to Customer Service and they'll be getting in touch with you, although there is no guarantee we'll be able to resolve the situation to your satisfaction, I'm afraid.

While I'm here posting, I wanted to draw your attention to a small quirk in the renaming process, which if you don't pay attention may cause you to have issues. I've updated the original post in this thread, but here's the relevant part:

If you have more than one transferred character, regardless of which character you select, you will be prompted to rename all of your transferred characters in order from the top of the character selection screen downwards. Please take extra care to ensure you are renaming the correct character by comparing their temporary names to ensure they match.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Siderant: Really what other MMO company requires you to rename all toons in one go and the first rename doesnt apply to the toon selected?

None to my knowledge/memory. In reviewing my rant from earlier in this thread, I feel like I was a bit harsh without having much constructive advice/feedback to give (been sick as a dog with this bloody cold/flu for a week!). I fully well understand & realise the challenges of retro-fitting diverse functionality to complex, online & real-time systems, so we need to give credit where credit is due. In spite of the various annoyances, & keeping in mind this is their 1st mmo, Bioware have done a remarkable job to bring the SW universe to life in a game with this much depth & content. I am particularly grateful to be able to finally play an A-grade mmorpg with very low latency with a player base mostly in our own timezones, something I never thought we'd experience down-under. I now have a regular game going on Dalborra with a mate, which has been an absolute blast! :wea_07:

Here's to SWTOR going from strength to strength - I just noticed my 4 chars got transferred overnight without any issues - WOOT! :D

If you have more than one transferred character, regardless of which character you select, you will be prompted to rename all of your transferred characters in order from the top of the character selection screen downwards. Please take extra care to ensure you are renaming the correct character by comparing their temporary names to ensure they match.

WHY WHY WHY? That is insanity. Do you like setting up CS nightmares for yourselves? Do you like frustrating your player base?

Having the rename option for ONLY the character you selected play on would seem... i dunno intuitive? Logical?

Sure why not create another metagame of match the 14digit random alpha character names to the side panel without being able to click each one to see the model. Sounds fun, low consequence entertainment. What could possibly go wrong.

At the very least this should have been tested and announced in massive font type that we've made yet another bazaar jump of complexity we expect you to gather without information.

Someone had to type up the text in the rename popup box. SURELY this could have contained some warning information point out that this rename may not be the character which was selected.

Edited by Spaj

No; your characters will be transferred and should be ready to go after that, assuming you have free slots on the destination server.

Future character transfer plans aren't finalized yet but I expect any future system will allow transfers to Asia-Pacific (AKA Oceanic) servers.

Hey there, this is actually covered in the FAQ in some detail.

At this time, account merges are not possible I'm afraid. If you want to continue to play on a single account, you'll need to make a choice between them.

The transfer will happen in one go, so I'm afraid your plan wouldn't work. Sorry.

I'm afraid not. You're seeing them on your character transfer page because they were likely deleted after the cut-off point for when we took a sample of the character data. Unfortunately, that means you see them as 'available' but in fact they're not - and will fail on transfer.

You can, if you wish, contact Customer Service to ask them about restoring those characters on your original server - but you may have to wait until our final character transfer process comes online before you can transfer them to Asia-Pacific servers. Ask them nicely, they'll try and help you out. :)

Thanks for the update, much appreciated

"IMPORTANT NOTE ON RENAMING: If you have more than one transferred character, regardless of which character you select, you will be prompted to rename all of your transferred characters in order from the top of the character selection screen downwards. Please take extra care to ensure you are renaming the correct character by comparing their temporary names to ensure they match."

ARGHH I swear I already read the clarification clearly last week before the transfer and somehow I missed this..(UPDATE: Ok, seems that this info was just added recently, reading the thread reply above :( that's why I missed it a couple of weeks ago)

Now my female sorcerer has a male name :( already emailed support to rename but let's see (and hopefully no one else takes my name while waiting for their reply)

Edited by michaelra

Hey again - I'm sorry about that situation. Unfortunately there's nothing I can do directly. I've spoken to Customer Service and they'll be getting in touch with you, although there is no guarantee we'll be able to resolve the situation to your satisfaction, I'm afraid.

Well I recieved an email this morning from Customer Service and of course there is nothing that can be done...not really good enough. I mean honestly why am I the one being penalized, you have the ability to see when I created the character, (a few minutes into early access) and when I created the same toon (name placeholder) on the Aussie Servers (The servers came online 20min earlier than announced) and oh look a few minutes from that happening I had that name on all 3 Aussie servers too.

These are facts your so called Customer Service should be able to see...so why after "investigating" the issue I have lost the name to someone who has just created the toon on the server in the last few days.

I asked Customer Service about renaming my characters because of this bug - Clicked on my Marauder but my trooper was renamed (because it was at the top of the list) and they said they couldn't help with renaming my characters.

Can they not just reset it, like they did when my character was in violation of copyright or when it was transferred yesterday?

I asked Customer Service about renaming my characters because of this bug - Clicked on my Marauder but my trooper was renamed (because it was at the top of the list) and they said they couldn't help with renaming my characters.

Wait...... so you've contacted support of this and they have replied they couldn't rename your characters? :eek: can you confirm this please? So I can cry knowing my female sorc will have a male name and start playing in pain

Stephen posted this a wee while back

That makes sense, but just to be safe can we get some sort of assurance that if this process screws up can we get customer support to rename our characters afterwards for us? I think that would make a lot of people feel a lot happier about it :)

Customer Service will absolutely be able to help you in that (hopefully unlikely) scenario.

So i'd really hope the Customer Service can deal with naming issues. Else it would look like some false information.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg220/scaled.php?server=220&filename=43724935.jpg&res=landing

That's the screenshot of the reply i got about 1 hour ago. However SWTOR on twitter said they should be able to help me so I've contacted them through the website CS rather than ingame, so we'll see what comes of that.

Thanks. I did send the request through CS form on the website although someone said it took a week to reply; meaning I can't allocate my legacy exp/tree yet and a chance that the name will be taken. Ah well..... as long as I don't have to live playing my cute little sorceress with a male's name :(

I've lost one of my existing names that I've had since the start of the Aussie server. I transferred one character over and was prompted with two renames, one for the transfer and one for the existing character. Why has a transfer been able to take an existing name? I was under the impression that wouldn't be possible.

Well just been transferred, one of my 8 did not transfer and surprise, surprise someone has taken my main toons name that I had until a few days ago placeheld on the destination server. (I deleted the placeholders when we were told you could realistically only hold 4 and have 4 slots free on the destination server)

So now my main who I have played since early access has lost her name to a toon who can be no older than a few days...

I am also unsure why one of my characters did not get transferred...its only level 12 but I sent the character some stuff from the rakghoul event and I had the toon looking exactly how I wanted.

Am very dissappointed in how this has turned out.

I hazard a strong guess that this is NOT as a result of someone taking the name. Try deleting ANY character name and then trying to reuse it - you will not. Try using a name of a character you know already exists and look at the error message. It will be different to the error message you get when reusing a name that you just deleted 30 seconds before.

What happens is that the game reserves the name of deleted toons so they cannot be reused. Someone claimed this is due to the desire to be able to back up the deleted character.

I have had this specific problem and I can tell you that seven petitions went unanswered. I had no luck at all with customer service and just kept on getting the run around.

Basically, if you delete a name, you are out of luck. And yes, I can also read Stephen's post but this is not how either the game works automatically or how customer service seems to help you.

Edited by Fafryd

Basically, if you delete a name, you are out of luck. And yes, I can also read Stephen's post but this is not how either the game works automatically or how customer service seems to help you.

I deleted 2 characters and was immediately able to reuse those names. One of us isnt correct.

I hazard a strong guess that this is NOT as a result of someone taking the name. Try deleting ANY character name and then trying to reuse it - you will not. Try using a name of a character you know already exists and look at the error message. It will be different to the error message you get when reusing a name that you just deleted 30 seconds before.

This is definately not the case in my situation, I have logged into the game and added my old name to my friends list...they are not online but the name was added so it is definately being used by another player.

IMPORTANT NOTE ON RENAMING: If you have more than one transferred character, regardless of which character you select, you will be prompted to rename all of your transferred characters in order from the top of the character selection screen downwards. Please take extra care to ensure you are renaming the correct character by comparing their temporary names to ensure they match.

I wish i saw this post before I renamed my toons

Customer Service will absolutely be able to help you in that (hopefully unlikely) scenario.

;/ I asked customer service and they said However, we area not able to rename your sith war or your sith inq characters that were transferred and the names u selected for them are permanent. :( I was kinda pissed at that ;/ after seeing this post I put a ticket in again and this time i added quotes from Stephenreid :)

Edited by Darkchaz

I'm also waiting for a response from the CS team due to this strange lapse in creating an intuitive system and being caught offguard being rather sick lately (ended up with one character with the wrong name and one with that randomly generated garble of characters).

Well, waiting for a re-response - first ticket I sent in seemed to get the aye-okay to have the character I misnamed, renamed, but that didn't seem to actually happen (and the ticket was closed), so I sent in another ticket trying to clarify the situation and am still waiting for them to respond (hopefully soonish when the CS staff get into the office).

Here's to hoping everything will work out as it should.

due to the way renaming system works, i named my 50 Sniper Sparkles, a name that i wanted my 50 sorcerer to be renamed, sine it was its name on the old server. I have not yet renamed my sorc.

One solution would be to delete the Sniper, to free up the name, and rename my sorc and then get CS to restore my Sniper. this however is a move that I would be very apprehensive about doing, especially if CS cant restore my level 50 Sniper.

IMPORTANT NOTE ON RENAMING: If you have more than one transferred character, regardless of which character you select, you will be prompted to rename all of your transferred characters in order from the top of the character selection screen downwards. Please take extra care to ensure you are renaming the correct character by comparing their temporary names to ensure they match.

Wow, this is completely counter-intuitive. Most people would load their character, & when prompted to rename, have the (rightful) assumption that this is allowing them to rename the character they were loading. Although I'd read this thread when it was posted, this minor but extremely important detail did not spring to mind, while watching my Wife rename her two characters the wrong way around...

Wow, this is completely counter-intuitive. Most people would load their character, & when prompted to rename, have the (rightful) assumption that this is allowing them to rename the character they were loading. Although I'd read this thread when it was posted, this minor but extremely important detail did not spring to mind, while watching my Wife rename her two characters the wrong way around...

xD on the upside I was not the only one to do this lol My SI has my SW name and my SW has my SI name ;/

These are facts your so called Customer Service should be able to see...so why after "investigating" the issue I have lost the name to someone who has just created the toon on the server in the last few days.

Unfortunately there's nothing further I can do. There will always be a risk upon deleting a character name on your destination server that it might be legitimately used by someone else.

In your case, knowing your character's name (which is shared by a well-known Expanded Universe character who has been in comics, a current TV show and even the Star Wars movies) the chances of someone looking to use that name for their character is relatively high. Given that you have already seen this name is being used by another player, I hope you can understand they had the same instinct as you in naming their character, and allow them to enjoy the game.

Can they not just reset it, like they did when my character was in violation of copyright or when it was transferred yesterday?

Speaking to Customer Service today, there may have been some confusion with some representatives. We're ensuring there's better clarity.

We have a temporary issue in that Customer Service cannot currently change Legacy names, but I have confirmed that Customer Service can and will rename your character's first names if you have accidentally renamed them. It may take a short while, but it will be done.

Speaking to Customer Service today, there may have been some confusion with some representatives. We're ensuring there's better clarity.

We have a temporary issue in that Customer Service cannot currently change Legacy names, but I have confirmed that Customer Service can and will rename your character's first names if you have accidentally renamed them. It may take a short while, but it will be done.

Stephen this is great news.... ) hopefully we see it in action soon :)

Just wanted to make a note that when the renaming process began, it picked my second listed character first, not the top character. After renaming the second character it prompted me to rename the first listed character. My top character was my higher level and was a trooper. Second character was a smuggler.

:confused:

I guess the message of the day is to carefully read the jumble of letters to ensure you understand which character is being renamed.