Cartel coins for In Game Credits

Kaesoi

Curious why this isn't in the game as like other games I have played. I am suggesting something similar to using 250 cartel coins for 500k or below credits in game. 500 cartel coins for 750k in game credits to 900k. 1250 cartel coins for 1.5million credits and so on. I'm just wondering has this been tried before, will this ever be put into the cartel market what do the devs think about something like this?

Curious why this isn't in the game as like other games I have played. I am suggesting something similar to using 250 cartel coins for 500k or below credits in game. 500 cartel coins for 750k in game credits to 900k. 1250 cartel coins for 1.5million credits and so on. I'm just wondering has this been tried before, will this ever be put into the cartel market what do the devs think about something like this?

1. Your conversion rate is very optimistic. This would have to be minimum 1:10000 CC/credit, and probably significantly more than that.

2. There is no benefit to BW to offer this, other than as a temporary promotion to quickly pull a whole lot of credits out of the economy, and inflation would have to get far worse than it is for them to resort to something so drastic

3. This would be a credit seller's dream come true and Christmas come early all in one.

The only way this would work would be like EVE where it is purchased by a player for RL $$ and then sold on the open market. BW still gets paid and people can use in game credits to get CC. This would be at market rates though, which goes back to point #1 above.

1. Your conversion rate is very optimistic. This would have to be minimum 1:10000 CC/credit, and probably significantly more than that.

2. There is no benefit to BW to offer this, other than as a temporary promotion to quickly pull a whole lot of credits out of the economy, and inflation would have to get far worse than it is for them to resort to something so drastic

3. This would be a credit seller's dream come true and Christmas come early all in one.

The only way this would work would be like EVE where it is purchased by a player for RL $$ and then sold on the open market. BW still gets paid and people can use in game credits to get CC. This would be at market rates though, which goes back to point #1 above.

I think you've got the OP backwards (or I do). I read the suggestion as a way to convert CC coins directly into a small amount of credits, without having to buy something and sell it on the GTN. Your point 1 is valid, his ratios would be far off from what a reasonable player would want to get from their coins (as I understand it 1 coin = 20k on the GTN, give or take depending on the item), but if they hate the GTN and just want a credit infusion right now, why not let them? Bioware could conceivably get more money from people buying CCs to convert and if priced appropriately would be a direct counter to credit sellers (but understandably it wouldn't ever get that good). A significant issue is that it likely wouldn't keep up with inflation (see the escrow transfers), so it would only get to be more and more of a noob trap over time.

Edited by YetiSwarm
Typo

You can already do that in a way. I used to use my monthly sub allocation to buy stuff on the Cartel Market and then resell if on the GTN (black dye sales worked wonders: buy the kit when on sale, wait for the price on the gtn to get back up and sell). Though the fastest way to make credits was farming vet queens. Haven't played in 3 months now though. Edited by Eriamea

A significant issue is that it likely wouldn't keep up with inflation (see the escrow transfers), so it would only get to be more and more of a noob trap over time.

It would instantly make GTN inflation almost infinitely worse because of a suddent influx of credits with no credit sinks to make up for it. (And no, they couldn't counter it with game-play credit sinks(1), because that would be a direct route to Pay To Win.)

(1) Abilitiy training, rising costs of crafting schematics at the trainers, raising gear repair bills for 268+ gear, mod-stripping prices, that sort of thing.

As a short unique event it would be nice. Then the exchange rate would have to be higher.

1 KK Credits = 10 Cartel coins

That would at least bring all the credits out of the game.

No, it would make the situation worse. The only way for what you're proposing to remove credits from the game is if the conversation could be done multiple times. But, the fact that it could be done multiple times is why it won't work.

What's 1,000,000 / 1,000? 1,000. And 1,000 * 10 is 10,000. So someone could convert a million credits into 10,000 Cartel Coins. 10,000 CCs would buy 5 Master's Datacrons, which would sell, on the low end, for 50,000,000 credits each. So one million credits could be converted to ten thousand CCs to buy five MDs that would sell for a cumulative 250,000,000 credits.

Would I convert a million credits into a potential two hundred and fifty million. Oh you betcha.

No, it would make the situation worse. The only way for what you're proposing to remove credits from the game is if the conversation could be done multiple times. But, the fact that it could be done multiple times is why it won't work.

What's 1,000,000 / 1,000? 1,000. And 1,000 * 10 is 10,000. So someone could convert a million credits into 10,000 Cartel Coins. 10,000 CCs would buy 5 Master's Datacrons, which would sell, on the low end, for 50,000,000 credits each. So one million credits could be converted to ten thousand CCs to buy five MDs that would sell for a cumulative 250,000,000 credits.

Would I convert a million credits into a potential two hundred and fifty million. Oh you betcha.

1KK is a thousand thousand, which is a reasonable circumlocution for "million", so your mathematical manipulations are wrong.

1KK is a thousand thousand, which is a reasonable circumlocution for "million", so your mathematical manipulations are wrong.

1K is 1,000. 1KK is a typo or internet gibberish. If someone wishes to clearly convey a point they need to refrain from using slang.

And if they did mean 1M then that is an absurdly low conversation rate that still would not have their intended consequence as very few people would do it.

Edited by ceryxp

1K is 1,000. 1KK is a typo or internet gibberish. If someone wishes to clearly convey a point they need to refrain from using slang.

And if they did mean 1M then that is an absurdly low conversation rate that still would not have their intended consequence as very few people would do it.

I've seen KK for million in non-Internet contexts (notably the world of finance(1)(2) with *** for (short scale) billion), but equally, in that world of finance, "M" can mean "thousand" (because of the Roman numeral thing).

I agree that paying a million credits for ten CCs would, indeed, be an excessively low conversion rate and would, indeed, not have the desired effect.

(1) That makes it *jargon* rather than slang, and of course it's just as confusing if someone uses technical jargon in the wrong context (i.e. one where it's unfamiliar) as it is if someone uses slang outside of its (social) context.

(2) For several years I worked as a programmer at a major provider of financial news and information.

I've seen KK for million in non-Internet contexts (notably the world of finance(1)(2) with *** for (short scale) billion), but equally, in that world of finance, "M" can mean "thousand" (because of the Roman numeral thing).

I agree that paying a million credits for ten CCs would, indeed, be an excessively low conversion rate and would, indeed, not have the desired effect.

(1) That makes it *jargon* rather than slang, and of course it's just as confusing if someone uses technical jargon in the wrong context (i.e. one where it's unfamiliar) as it is if someone uses slang outside of its (social) context.

(2) For several years I worked as a programmer at a major provider of financial news and information.

True. If M is used as 1000, as in the Latin "mille", then million is generally abbreviated as MM, which is what I'm most familiar with in finance. Capital M being "mega," which is million (or, more specifically, 10^6). Also what I'm most familiar with, and the Système International (International System of Units, or SI) standard. Further, the use of capital K would be Kelvin and not kilo. So 1KK would be Kelvin squared while 1kk would be kilo^2.

either way, it still won't have the desired effects, there are players with billons of credits, it'd have to be an insane conversion rate to get credits out of the game, and if it was that bad, no one would use it. There is no way to reduce the credits in the game, anything the bring in that can possibly put a dent in those rich players pocket, would be scorned by most, complained about costing too much, or even being useless. The glowy dantooine item being a perfect example.

• 3 weeks later...

I must say two things regarding the cartel market.

First I can't understand why the exchange of credits into cartel coins isn't a thing yet. It's what most companies do and their games don't suffer from it - in most cases they even make additional money.

Second is that I never played an mmorpg that is so massively overpriced like SWTOR. I don't buy much from the cartel market and when I play I have an active subscription.

But how is an ordinary cartel item that costs more than a 6 month subscription justified? That's 70€ for a virtual god.

Sorry, but I'm still shocked about that - and that's after I found out that you can't turn credits into CC (because I thought that would be a thing)